Mega Man 9 > Mega Man 1-6

HyperSonicEXE · 19344

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 06:33:06 PM
far from it. there's still a lot of trial and error in the game, maybe even more so than previous games. the first spike trap in Splash comes to mind.

My comment was based on the first post.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 07:05:27 PM
Tornado might boost your jump, but again, I haven't seen it used in that capacity either.  I've seen it used, mostly, as a deperation weapon and against magma.  And that's well and good, but the full-screen weapons tend to be limited like that.  It's usually pretty full by the end in the runs I've seen.

Really? I've sees T. Blow used in the time trials quite often.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 07:38:17 PM
Really? I've sees T. Blow used in the time trials quite often.
Not I.

But this just goes into the "how you play" point I made earlier.  Like weapons from other games, their effectiveness is greatly dependant on who's playing. 

Edit: Of course some weapons, like Hyper Bomb, can be said to be objectively useless.  I think you need to prove how ALL of the weapons in MM9 win for, at least, most players and extend the same courtesy to MMs 1-6. 

Just based on my experience, I can say I go for weapons in MMs 1-3 a lot.  MM4 rarely.  MM5-6 almost never.  That's why I think the weapons from MMs 1-3 are pretty solid (I use them) and MMs 4-6 not so much.  MM9 does have weapon use, to be sure, but I don't think it's completely right to say that all the weapons are used in an eaqual manner.  Some aren't reached for quite as often as others.  Saying it has the "best selection" is something you'll have to prove game VS game, to get an agreement from me.  Not just an overall blanket statement treateing all six games as one huge one.

Offline UZO

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 11:18:54 PM
Gauntlet, you are a disgrace to humanity as a whole.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #29 on: December 06, 2008, 01:01:14 AM
*pshhh*

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #30 on: December 06, 2008, 01:14:42 AM
Lemme just post these topics to show my love for "Mega Man" 9.

I'm not so good with handling different opinions on discussion topics, so... carry on. *leaves* >U<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: December 06, 2008, 01:20:34 AM
My comment was based on the first post.

Yes and no, PB.

Yes, I do think "taking the guesswork out" is part of any well-designed game. We already do enough mental calculation and guesswork just destroying the regular scope of enemies. There's the real fun.

And yet, no, it's not the only reason I'm thinking that MM9 beats MM1-6; 5's presentation and color balance is better, 3's bosses are equal, 4's story is equal or better than 9's actually, that's opinion, but, you get the idea. MM9 still seems to be the better game, overall, comparing itself to each game of MM1-6. Sure, I could write out comparative reviews of each, but that'd take forever.

Even then, I think only taking the best elements out of each game and putting it into one would beat MM9.

A bit rude? Yeah.

But I will say that there's something to be said for actually playing the game, and,
AND
you must do what I forced myself to do and eliminate any nostalgia or favoritism for any past games, especially a past game that you have a favorite character or avatar out of, say, Shadow Man, etc.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #32 on: December 06, 2008, 02:00:22 AM
You'll note that I did not favor Shadowblade in my weapons list.  Magnet Missile is far more effective.  But it seems like you're just saying that you're not very good at Shadowman ergo MM9 is better.  Because he's too random.  Not a very good reason, IMHO.  It doesn't really make MM9 the better game.

If you honestly think MM9 is better, I'd like to see some method to the madness.  Yes, against each game. It'll take a bit, but why not?  If you're gonna open it up, open it up all the way I say!  Mostly, I don't think you've argued your case too well, which is why I'm picking it apart a bit.  If you like, we can forgo debating about whther it's better than MM1 (the least developed game in the series) and MM6 (which everyone agrees is the worst game in the NES series).  But it does seem liek you've thought about it, and you've opened it up ... I'd like to hear the reasoning behind it.  Sure, I have my favorite game, but I didn't crete the game.  I'm really not taking this personally...

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: December 06, 2008, 02:14:17 AM
Actually, I'm okay against Shadow Man. Seems kinda counter-logic to stay near to where he is than stay far away.

And yeah, I could objectively review each game and compare them to MM9, but it'd take far too long. You'd have to highlight the games from start to end:

The intros, the story, the music, the presentation of the graphics (overall, title screen, stage select, scenery), controls and fluidity (how Mega Man slides a bit and falls a lot faster in MM1, and in MM2 and 3 how the disappearing blocks are trickier in timing for whatever reason), puzzle mechanics, ladder/platform mechanics, stage layout, enemy design, enemy movement patterns, enemy attack patterns, hitboxes, recoil, special weapons, special abilities, whether or not the pause screen is intuitive (actually, MM9 lacks here), boss designs, boss movement patterns, boss attack patterns, appropriate damages and reactions of bosses to their weakness, appropriate nature of the weapons themselves (how Concrete Shot stops Galaxy Man's Black Hole Bomb is beyond me), stage length, pacing/progression of the game, pacing/progression of the Wily stages, believability of the plot twist (could be subjective), provided extra items like E-Tanks, difficulty, the ending, the accessibility of secrets, the value of the secrets,

And I'm already behind on studying for my finals.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: December 06, 2008, 02:30:07 AM
MM6 (which everyone agrees is the worst game in the NES series).

I don't.

Saying it has the "best selection" is something you'll have to prove game VS game, to get an agreement from me.
Well I did say IMO didn't I?

I can't compare the weapons in MM9 to the rest of the series because I'm the kind of player that prefers to go buster only for stages, so I'll just write why I think 9's weapons are good.

Laser Trident: Fast; you can rapid-fire it; pierces EVERYTHING; uses low amounts of WE and it's actually quite strong. If there's anything that's close to Metal Blade, it's Laser Trident.

Black Hole Bomb: One use of it kills almost all enemies; you can control it's direction and when it detonates; absorbs all projectiles; stays for a while absorbing anything that approaches it until it disappears.

Tornado Blow: Inmediately clears the screen of almost all enemies; makes you jump higher which can be useful for saving time in stages and also make some parts easier.

Concrete Shot: Quite strong; uses a decent amount of WE; creates platforms that unless you watch speedruns you'll have no idea of why they're so useful.

Jewel Shield: Unarguably the best shield ever in the series so far.

Plug Ball: Uses a small amount of WE; you can rapid fire it; goes along the ground and walls which makes destroying some enemies easier, faster and safer to destroy (for example those cannon things). It's pretty underused IMO.

Hornet Chaser: Chases the enemy, and if it is destroyed and does not leave an item it will go to attack the next enemy; gets you the dropped items without having to go back/out of your way to get them, and also grabs any items the stage has already (except the tanks I think); great for safely destroying enemies that are out of reach or in a tricky position.

Magma Bazooka: The 3-way shot makes it easier to hit multiple enemies; charged Mazooka is quite strong and does not use as much WE as Atomic Fire; if you position yourself correctly while shooting the enemy will get hit by the 3 shots and receive double or triple the damage, this goes for bosses too.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: December 06, 2008, 02:33:04 AM
Magma Bazooka: The 3-way shot makes it easier to hit multiple enemies; charged Mazooka is quite strong and does not use as much WE as Atomic Fire; if you position yourself correctly while shooting the enemy will get hit by the 3 shots and receive double or triple the damage, this goes for bosses too.

Well THAT certainly helps beat the bosses for the Quickdraw achievements, doesn't it?  :P

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: December 06, 2008, 02:39:48 AM
Very well then.  Allow me to analyze your first statements and offer my opinion on them...

Hazards are actually avoidable the first time through instead of relying on memorization, meaning the developers actually took the time to consider human reaction times.

No they're not.  The hazards in this game are the same as any of the classic games.  Just like with Spikes and Horizontal Death Beams and other hazards in the past, It takes trial and error and memorization.  Just like MM1-6, once you know the hazards, the games are easy.  MM9 put spikes in the nasty places, just like MM1-6 did.  Jump at the wrong time, jump the wrong way, or miss, and you die.  Standard 8-Bit MM gaming.  Nothing's changed.  If anything, due to the lack of the Slide, they are actually harder to avoid, as taking away that element makes moving through the game more difficult.

There are no enemies like the Hoppers in Shadow Man's stage. They're large enough for you to actually shoot. There are the floating tops, but those can be shot down. Only other troublesome enemies I can think of are the scissors and the flowerpots, but you generally have some way of dealing with them.

The Hoppers in ShadowMan's stage can very easily be shot once they jump, just like the floating tops on JewelMan's stage can be easily shot while falling.  As for troublesome enemies, they is always a way to deal with them, in every 8-Bit MM game, so that points kinda moot.  If anything, due to lack of Charge Shot, MM9's enemies can be more annoying than MM4-6's.

This game's large Jumper enemies can be shot down in a reasonable amount of time. For that matter, most enemies don't require you to spam the 2 button (okay, depends on your layout) like you're shivering to keep from getting damaged, which is really just a waste of everyone's time rather than a supposed show of skill.

The only game in which the large Jumper enemies CAN'T be shot down in a reasonable amount of time is MM1.  That's what Ice Slasher is for.  It's why MM1 is still the hardest 8-Bit classic game there is.  Also, you really don't need to Jump Spam in general in most MegaMan games.  However, the Octopus in MM9 requires such Jump Spamming, so that's really a moot point right there.  Most MM games have 1 or 2 enemies like that.  Some have none.  MM4-6 had the Charge Shot, which made such Jump Spamming pretty much unnecessary. 

The weapons are actually useful.

Replace useful with overpowered.  Look, I'm not denying the usefulness of MM9's weapon.  However, they really are tremendously overpowered.  I think. to make up for the lack of Charge Shot, they overpowered the weapons.  But, going by that, the weapons are just as good as MM1-4.  I don't count 5 or 6 because there's no reason NEVER to not use the Overpowered Charge Shot.  However, in MM1-4, I used the Weapons constantly and they got me through the game no different than MM9.  Metal Blade, Pharaoh Shot, Magnet Missle, Elec Beam, and others.

The bosses follow logical movement patterns, and Magma Man's "random" jump element can be worked around instead of "dealt with" like you would have to Pharaoh Man, Shadow Man, Flash Man, or Quick Man.

All bosses have logical patterns.  Patterns which can easily be dodged.  Some are harder than others, but it can still be done.  Just like with MM9.

Stage puzzles are over with fairly quickly compared to previous puzzles in the series.

See Hazards post up above.

The graphics are fine (considering), the music is great overall, and the controls are fluid.

Graphics are 8-Bit and not all that different.  I believe Gauntlet said that MM5's were better, but I honestly never really payed attention to graphics in 8-Bit MM games.  Music is fantastic, no doubt, however I like some themes no better or worse than MM1-6's themes as well.  Controls are pretty much exactly the same.  On a personal level, MM1-6 beats out MM9 due to the NES Advantage. 

Mega Man 9 is, in every way, a better game than its 8-Bit counterparts. Kudos to the developers.
Agree? Or disagree?

Absolutely disagree.  This is not coming from any kind of favoritism or bias.  I love MM9 a lot.  It's one of, if not, my favorite game release of this year.  If you like MM9 better than the previous 8-Bit Games, that's all well and good, along with your personal preference.  However, for the reasons you stated in this post, absolutely not.  If anything, due to the lack of Slide and Charge Shot, it's actually a worse game than the other.  I don't miss either of them at all really, but still, there's no reason to take them out other than nostalgia.  I'm perfectly fine with that, mind you, but it's still might suck for other MM fans out there for them to just simply remove a staple of gameplay like that.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: December 06, 2008, 02:44:10 AM
Quote from: Every person that mentions the difficulty of MM1
It's why MM1 is still the hardest 8-Bit classic game there is.

Huh what? Wait a minute, why is MM1 hard? Since when was it hard to begin with?
Have you tried Rockman & Forte for Wonderswan? MM1 got nothing on that. >U<

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: December 06, 2008, 02:45:35 AM

In terms of the original 8-Bit Games 1-6 I mean.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: December 06, 2008, 02:46:10 AM
Nexus: the boss's actual weaknesses are better. though Mazooka is useful on the Shark boss' head. and it's a good substitute on the final fight if you run out of Hornet Chaser.

Vixy: MM1 is definitely the hardest NES Mega Man.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: December 06, 2008, 02:50:03 AM
Nexus: the boss's actual weaknesses are better. though Mazooka is useful on the Shark boss' head. and it's a good substitute on the final fight if you run out of Hornet Chaser.

True, it's great for when you run out of WE for some reason though  (for example Plugman).

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: December 06, 2008, 02:51:56 AM

You may find it easy (I watched your JTV plays shortly before MM9 was released, and I was flabbergasted), but it's still the toughest compared to the other NES MM/RM games. >.>;;

Do note that I haven't played Mega Man 9 yet, except for an Xbox Live trial version of Concrete Man's level, so I don't know how well it would really work. (BTW, I died at the beginning of the level, too; I always did suck when it came to the NES games >.<)

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #42 on: December 06, 2008, 02:53:58 AM
Without seeing a good comparison I can't really agree that MM9 > MM1-6.  Just picking some flaws in other games and comparing it to where MM9 succeeds doesn't work for me.

@ Taiyo
You like MM6?  Your credibility just shot down 10 points, sir! ~w~

I kid.

Yeah, I don't disagree that MM9's weapons are good.  They are.  But, yeah, overpowered is a good word.  And it implies the weapons from past games weren't as good.  Well ... I disagree.  Used effectively and with about as much respect as people seem to have for MM9's weapons they can be useful.

And, come on now, Magma Bazooka was completely overshadowed in the game.  T Blow, M Bazooka, and Plug Ball are the ones people reach for last.  Jewel Satillite, the trident, and BH Bomb overshadow all the rest the same way Metal Blades overshadowed everythign in MM2.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: December 06, 2008, 02:55:34 AM
You may find it easy (I watched your JTV plays shortly before MM9 was released, and I was flabbergasted), but it's still the toughest compared to the other NES MM/RM games. >.>;;

Maybe by the damage the bosses and enemies deal at you, it might be hard. Knowing the game in and out, and winning against every boss with the buster alone counts as a easy game to me. ^^

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: December 06, 2008, 02:58:45 AM
Oh, MM1 is very easy for me now too.  I can breeze through the game no problem, cept for those damn Shooting Copter Platforms.  I'm just saying, it was the hardest 8-Bit MM game.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: December 06, 2008, 03:05:12 AM
T Blow, M Bazooka, and Plug Ball are the ones people reach for last.

you come on. watch more recent videos and you'll see how wrong you are.

as for the weapons being useful. sure the past weapons are useful. to kill things. but C Shot, T Blow, and JS are multipurpose, helping in navigation and defense. BHB helps defensively as well, as it can suck up projectiles.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #46 on: December 06, 2008, 03:08:14 AM
you come on. watch more recent videos and you'll see how wrong you are.

as for the weapons being useful. sure the past weapons are useful. to kill things. but C Shot, T Blow, and JS are multipurpose, helping in navigation and defense. BHB helps defensively as well, as it can suck up projectiles.
That's a good point.  Okay, you might be right about the weapons if you put it that way,

Edit: you know, tho, the origional point was "weapons are actually useful" ... which is what I really disagreed with.  Weapons in other games are useful.  Somewhere along the lines it became "MM9 has the best set of weapons".  But you got a good point with the "to kill things".

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: December 06, 2008, 04:53:12 AM
I definitely need a break from Auditing homework.

So, I got a good passionate response out of PB:

No they're not.  The hazards in this game are the same as any of the classic games.  Just like with Spikes and Horizontal Death Beams and other hazards in the past, It takes trial and error and memorization.  Just like MM1-6, once you know the hazards, the games are easy.  MM9 put spikes in the nasty places, just like MM1-6 did.  Jump at the wrong time, jump the wrong way, or miss, and you die.  Standard 8-Bit MM gaming.  Nothing's changed.  If anything, due to the lack of the Slide, they are actually harder to avoid, as taking away that element makes moving through the game more difficult.

The Hoppers in ShadowMan's stage can very easily be shot once they jump, just like the floating tops on JewelMan's stage can be easily shot while falling.  As for troublesome enemies, they is always a way to deal with them, in every 8-Bit MM game, so that points kinda moot.  If anything, due to lack of Charge Shot, MM9's enemies can be more annoying than MM4-6's.

The only game in which the large Jumper enemies CAN'T be shot down in a reasonable amount of time is MM1.  That's what Ice Slasher is for.  It's why MM1 is still the hardest 8-Bit classic game there is.  Also, you really don't need to Jump Spam in general in most MegaMan games.  However, the Octopus in MM9 requires such Jump Spamming, so that's really a moot point right there.  Most MM games have 1 or 2 enemies like that.  Some have none.  MM4-6 had the Charge Shot, which made such Jump Spamming pretty much unnecessary. 

Replace useful with overpowered.  Look, I'm not denying the usefulness of MM9's weapon.  However, they really are tremendously overpowered.  I think. to make up for the lack of Charge Shot, they overpowered the weapons.  But, going by that, the weapons are just as good as MM1-4.  I don't count 5 or 6 because there's no reason NEVER to not use the Overpowered Charge Shot.  However, in MM1-4, I used the Weapons constantly and they got me through the game no different than MM9.  Metal Blade, Pharaoh Shot, Magnet Missle, Elec Beam, and others.

All bosses have logical patterns.  Patterns which can easily be dodged.  Some are harder than others, but it can still be done.  Just like with MM9.

See Hazards post up above.

Graphics are 8-Bit and not all that different.  I believe Gauntlet said that MM5's were better, but I honestly never really payed attention to graphics in 8-Bit MM games.  Music is fantastic, no doubt, however I like some themes no better or worse than MM1-6's themes as well.  Controls are pretty much exactly the same.  On a personal level, MM1-6 beats out MM9 due to the NES Advantage. 

Absolutely disagree.  This is not coming from any kind of favoritism or bias.  I love MM9 a lot.  It's one of, if not, my favorite game release of this year.  If you like MM9 better than the previous 8-Bit Games, that's all well and good, along with your personal preference.  However, for the reasons you stated in this post, absolutely not.  If anything, due to the lack of Slide and Charge Shot, it's actually a worse game than the other.  I don't miss either of them at all really, but still, there's no reason to take them out other than nostalgia.  I'm perfectly fine with that, mind you, but it's still might suck for other MM fans out there for them to just simply remove a staple of gameplay like that.

Hazards: I've still gotta disagree on this one. These puzzles seemed fairly reasonable compared to, say, MM5's disappearing blocks in the after-game stages. Granted, you could sit there and watch those, but they were more complex than either Plug Man's blocks or even Hornet Man's Rollout platforms. Perhaps not as an absolute, but I can safely say that you don't have to memorize the puzzle layouts of MM9 (certainly if compared to those of previous games). And the strange part, the majority of my opinion on that is based on how narrow the required jumps involved are. Puzzles are fairly straightforward unlike Dust Man's junk compactor; look, I shot a one-square hole for me to slide through, can't I just go on? Geez.

Hoppers: I hear ya on the Charge Shot. I'll admit, I was a bit disheartened to see the MM4 charge shot rather than the MM6, 7, or 8 shot which has a wider range. Regardless, what makes Hoppers more annoying is their placement relative to Mega Man's entrance onto the screen. I don't believe the enemy regeneration rate factors into those little guys, but it sure makes Mega Man 2 annoying.

Jumpers: Agreed, though I would say that a proper Mega Man game should be able to be beaten without using any special weapons. If Mega Man 2 ever did have Challenges, "Clear the game without using any Special Weapons" couldn't be one of them, thanks to the 2nd Wily Stage boss and Alien Wily.

Weapons: They're definitely strong, and I love it. But the good weapons to use take a very large chunk of energy. You don't even have enough weapon energy for Tornado Blow to finish Magma Man. As far as Plug Ball and Laser Trident go, well, we're used to having good weapons at a low cost, like Metal Blade. There should be at least one of those.
Sidenote - Gauntlet, actually, Plug Ball's even better than Bubble Lead. It goes up walls, follows around ceilings, and even erases Tornado Man's gusts of wind. Not to mention doing decent damage and taking very little weapon energy.

Boss Patterns: But you've got to admit, MM9's bosses don't have very random movement patterns like Quick Man and Flash Man. Shadow Man's randomness...well, double-edged sword, here. He either jumps high or low three times, then either slides or uses Shadow Blade. Still, it's enough to where considering how far he moves, you don't really have time to get far enough away to evade attack. Same for Hard Man.

Graphics: For all the trouble Inticreates went to to be "authentic", the "fades" in MM9 are way too fluid (between stage select/boss intro/game over/weapon get/etc). That said, everything else still meshes well, and the only ambiguity on hitboxes that I could find was on Magma Man. You could have done a short hop, looked like you didn't even touch him, and BAM, you're hit. And as far as controls, maybe there's not much difference between 2-5 and 9, but 1 sure has some issues.

Even for all its ups and downs, MM9 can be more fun than some of the older, supposedly "harder" games. Perhaps they are, but is it due to player error, or design flaw? The decision to remove the Slide? Eh, that I can let go. Sliding makes the bosses far too easy. Charge Shot? Yeah, that one I have a bit of an issue with, too. But, it seems like they designed this game to compensate for the loss, and yet didn't explain in the story why.

I can see why people wouldn't like MM9 for all the subjective reasons. Story, graphics, people might actually be really turned off by the concepts of Jewel Man and Splash Woman; we know Inafune was nervous about how people would react to her. There's just a really good chance that, objectively, it has the fewest design flaws, even if it removed or attempted some things.

I guess writing responses is where I shine. I'd never have recalled all this on my own.
Keep those thoughts coming!

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #48 on: December 06, 2008, 05:11:11 AM
From what I've seen you need a good bit of luck and a great memory not to need any practice in the hazards and puzzles in MM9.  I haven't encountered anything in any other MM game that didn't follow this concept.  From Quickman's beams to Shadowman's or  Flashman's pattern, all are memorisable and beatable.  There's strategies to use against all of them, no matter how random they are.  If you're great or / and lucky you can get by them in one go. 

though I would say that a proper Mega Man game should be able to be beaten without using any special weapons.

Then wouldn't MM9 fail that criteria?  You definately need Splash Woman's weapon in one of the Wily stages to get by.  Unless you don't count Rush (I would) you also need Tornado Hold in Wily 1.

You can get by the large jumpers in MM1 without any weapons.  Just run under them when they jump high.  It's tricky, but doable. 

edit:

The fogs in Shadow's level are designed to make things a bit harder.  Like the fleas and the gabryols (sp?) they're annoyances that make the game a bit more challenging.  Conversly, MM9 also has the sparks in Plug's level that don't seem to be beatable easily with the Buster.  Like the frogs in MM3, you can beat them with a special weapon (that is, if you don't wait for the frogs to jump).  Arguing their placement seems odd, considering many enemies can be said not to fit into their level.  Why are there suddennly MM1-era mets all over MM9?

Speaking of new problems, Protoman being  a playable character is a bit of one.  Namely, the lack of story and ending.  I felt the cutscenes added a rather nice touch to the game, so it's odd that Proto doesn't have any.  But not only no cutscenes, but no ending as well.  This is something I don't understand and it feels like they just didn't have enough time to polish Protoman up before releasing him.  If we ever got an official answer to this, I'll bet it's just something they didn't have time to finish.

Like many people said Roll's costumes costing so much and providing so little is another pitfall in the special features of the game.  For so much, wouldn't playing as Bass be a better feature?  Or getting Protoman's shield?  Or ... maybe a heck of a lot of costumes?  Again, it feels like there was more to that that didn't get put in.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: December 06, 2008, 05:32:48 AM
There's just a really good chance that, objectively, it has the fewest design flaws,

Although the player usually has plenty of Laser Trident. Even so, yes, that is a hindrance.
Rush can withstand spikes (lucky dog), so it's beatable. You can also use the Rush Jet/Rush Coil trick to get up high.

Here's the thing about them:
You try to run under them. Okay. IF, by chance, it jumped too low, you get hit, like, half your life. This happens often.
Try to shoot 'em down. Fine, but by the time you defeat it before getting hit (IF you do), the regeneration rate kicks in.

Heh, the fleas didn't bother me so much; the bouncing balls on the first cat were the tricky part. Ugh.

I didn't mind Proto Man not having a story; alternate timelines and whatnot have plagued MM games (namely, MM&B and MMX4). The Roll Costume thing, though...and especially since both Roll and Proto Man were playable in MM:PU...

Even then, these secrets beat just having Proto Man's shield, and certainly beat a...balloon power-up (though that Grappling Hook was cool).