Protoman Blues · 199913

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #550 on: October 04, 2010, 05:38:26 AM
I say we all complain to whoever we need to in order to get this damn fad to end.

You want more people in the theaters? Then stop making movies that hurt when most people see them and cost way too much!

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #551 on: October 04, 2010, 06:08:36 AM
The only way it will end is if the majority stops shelling out money to see 3D showings.  Unfortunately, we have been shown time and time again that the vast majority of society, the ones who dictate what we get, are complete morons.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #552 on: October 04, 2010, 07:09:21 AM
Oh look, saw a trailer for Paranormal Activity 2. What better way to make us forget about a shitty movie by making a sequel about kids opening doors, people bitching, and lots of windy corridors, electrical issues, and dumb [parasitic bomb].

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #553 on: October 09, 2010, 02:58:34 AM
I saw Iron Man 2.
It was good.
Kermit rapping is also good.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #554 on: October 17, 2010, 07:01:55 AM
I watched Shadows of the Vampire tonight.  I liked it, interesting take on the filming of Nosferatu.  And the DVD included a trailer for Begotten!

Offline SUIKA

• Robot Master
  • It's a good thing I exist.
    • View Profile
    • IDC
Reply #555 on: November 01, 2010, 10:22:31 PM
Oh look, saw a trailer for Paranormal Activity 2. What better way to make us forget about a shitty movie by making a sequel about kids opening doors, people bitching, and lots of windy corridors, electrical issues, and dumb [parasitic bomb].

I thought it was okay.

I watched Dr. Strangelove.

It was disturbing and frustrating.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #556 on: November 02, 2010, 06:50:34 AM
I watched Where the Wild Things Are with my mom this weekend.  Not too bad of a movie, actually.  I think anyone will be able to take away some meaning from it.  And it was nice to see the usage of real sets and animatronics in a movie for once.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #557 on: November 02, 2010, 07:50:28 AM
Diary of a Nymphomania...

...not bad.  Not bad at all.  I like how the movie ended.

"Hey"
"Hey..."
"Want to go to my place?"
"...why?"
"I want to [tornado fang] you."
"....but I have no money..."
"it's ok, it's free."

It's pretty about a women and her well, colorful nymphomania and her mixed need for real love, till' it later becomes nothing more than her self-appreciating just herself and her well, nymphoness.

...Just, go see it when the curiosity builds.

Offline SUIKA

• Robot Master
  • It's a good thing I exist.
    • View Profile
    • IDC
Reply #558 on: November 16, 2010, 10:35:10 AM
The Social Network.

I already hate having a facebook profile. it's a bit worse now that I know that the (dramatised) origins lie in;

Popularity contests,
Chauvinism,
Heterosexism (Same thing?),
and Money.

Seriously. All that stuff at Harvard and things. Who needs that much money?

And it still weirds me out how US Universities are taken so seriously. This isn't my country but, here in New Zealand, it's just like, 'Yeah I went to University once. Have a degree. Now I work in a cafe full time". Nobody really cares nor does it seem to make a difference to anybody's lives.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #559 on: November 20, 2010, 07:24:04 AM
Just finished watching Kick-Ass.

It was highly recommended by members on several forums I'm on, this one included. And I can easily see why. One of the people here at the shelter had read the comic books, and was pleased with how faithful it was. I don't care about that, but they did a great job on the music. It fit each scene perfectly. The actors were well chosen (was a bit surprised to see Nicolas Cage, but he did a great job), and the story was well-written. The cinematography was superb; some of the camera changes were excellent.
[spoiler]
Of note are the comic book recollection of Big Daddy and Hitgirl's origins, and the teddycam view.

Also, the final scene with Frank's death and the bazooka... so over-the-top yet so incredibly fitting.

Best line of the movie though was "With no power comes no responsibility." Of course, that's his turning point.
[/spoiler]

If you haven't seen this yet, go and see it now. It's phenomenal!! It's entertaining!! And it's, well... KICK-ASS!!

Well it was...

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #560 on: November 20, 2010, 07:42:48 AM
Hm... speaking of Kick-Ass, I wonder if anyone else has noticed the censorship of the movie's title on DVD cases...  At a couple stores, I've seen it both uncensored and with a sticker over the "SS" in "ASS." 

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #561 on: November 20, 2010, 08:47:30 AM
Hm, I never noticed that at all.

Speaking of Kick-Ass

the first issue of Kick-Ass 2 is out.  Seems like we shall get our movie sequel after all hehe.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #562 on: November 23, 2010, 04:23:51 AM
Sweet!  I'm gonna add that to my subscription list.

Posted on: November 20, 2010, 07:54:52 AM
Hm.  I saw a couple clips from Green Lantern not too long ago, and caught a glimpse of Kilowog.  He was CG.  I wanted to cry. 

There was no reason why Kilowog had to be CG.  He could've been done with animatronics.  But, no, he's CG.  And he's not even decent CG.  He's crappy, poorly-lit, cruddy framerate, misused sim-cloth, gimbal-locking joints, animated by amateurs, we-blew-our-entire-CGI-budget-on-the-ring-constructs-and-had-to-out-source-Kilowog-to-the-SciFi-Channel CG.

Pisses me off.  Kilowog deserves better.  Kilowog deserves animatronics, foam-latex, and a guy in a big suit.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #563 on: November 23, 2010, 05:31:56 PM
Sweet!  I'm gonna add that to my subscription list.

Posted on: November 20, 2010, 07:54:52 AM
Hm.  I saw a couple clips from Green Lantern not too long ago, and caught a glimpse of Kilowog.  He was CG.  I wanted to cry. 

There was no reason why Kilowog had to be CG.  He could've been done with animatronics.  But, no, he's CG.  And he's not even decent CG.  He's crappy, poorly-lit, cruddy framerate, misused sim-cloth, gimbal-locking joints, animated by amateurs, we-blew-our-entire-CGI-budget-on-the-ring-constructs-and-had-to-out-source-Kilowog-to-the-SciFi-Channel CG.

Pisses me off.  Kilowog deserves better.  Kilowog deserves animatronics, foam-latex, and a guy in a big suit.

You know how it is these days. They want CGI and Motion Capture instead of working with things that are actually there, either because they think they have problems (Storage? Actually getting the damn things moving?) or because they don't want to put the time and effort into making it. Its sad, I'd rather be more freaked out by the special effects being robotic over them being poorly made CGI that creeps into that Valley of Uncanniness.

Offline ZeroCracked

• Trapped In The 2000's
  • A-Class Hunter
  • 'Ya better pray to Martel one last time...
    • View Profile
    • My Chatango Chatpod From When I Was Still A Nooblet
Reply #564 on: November 23, 2010, 05:39:57 PM
So I've been dying to watch Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, and though we have it on our DVR, I'm too effin' lazy to sit through it.

Also, I saw Batman: Under the Red Hood with my friend a few days back. I think it was the night I got Pokemon Platinum at that party, because he stayed the night and I pulled that all nighter. Anyways, the movie was freakin' magnificent. I swear to God I love Batman.

Courage is the Magic that turns Dreams into Reality.

I learned that all things explode in slowmotion if you punch them hard enough.

You may have to be on fire for that to happen, though.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #565 on: November 23, 2010, 06:58:40 PM
Soo... just watched Scott Pilgrim last night. Afterwards, I wrote this.

After just watching Scott Pilgrim vs. The World for the first time, only one thing can be said about it. It is made for nerds and gamers and as such might be one of the greatest movies of all time for said nerds and gamers. One would be amazed and awed at all the little references put in. Some are blatantly obvious, while others are slightly more hidden, much like collectibles in a video games. Now let’s get in-depth, shall we?

First off, the musical score. It’s a mix of hard rock, classic game tunes, and new chiptuned awesomesauce. It’s a mix that works beautifully together, and the transitions are top-notch between songs. On top of that, every song is well-suited to each scene. Also, since it’s a movie that heavily references video games, sound effects are also a major element. Whether it’s the secret passage revelation sound from the Zelda games or a generic 1up sound effect, these effects are well placed throughout the film to add emphasis to things that would otherwise be unappreciated.

Next up in this review are the visual effects. The average film has effects that have been used so much they’re quite generic now. Explosions, glow, you name it most films probably have it. What Scott Pilgrim has to offer is the type of effects more often found in the realm of gaming. Score tallies, extra lives, level names… these are what one will find in Scott Pilgrim. In addition, some scenes display a nice hand-drawn comic style, or just feature faces that are of that style. On top of that, other things that one wouldn’t see in the average movie are found such as enemies exploding into coins, random doors appearing out of nowhere, words describing sound effects comic-book style, and graphical indicators indicating the intensity of the music.

The fight scenes also display a style very reminiscent of comic books and graphic novels. No surprise there, as the movie is based on one. Regardless, it works extremely well for these scenes. These are also over-the-top with the fighting high into the air, signs that say VS or health bars, and even special moves! If any gamer wanted to see the love child of a Hollywood blockbuster and the latest video game, this would be it.

The tertiary review point is the story. Sure, it may be the generic love story at its core, but that’s after stripping away several dozens of layers. There is a lot more going on here than just the average boy-meets-girl story. This is boy-meets-girl-then-meets-another-girl-and-reluctantly-dumps-the-first-and-has-to-fight-the-second’s-seven-evil-exes-while-also-remaining-in-a-band-and-keeping-his-friends-in-the-process-among-other-things. As was said before, a lot more going on than the average story.

Lastly, since the movie is so similar to a video game, rewatchability will be discussed. That may not have been a word before, but it is now! With all the hidden little things in all the various scenes, this is a movie that can be watched over and over again. Not only that, but all the stuff that is a blatant thumbs-up to geek culture in general is awesome enough to show again. This is easily a movie that will see tens, if not hundreds, of plays in the future.

In conclusion, there are several categories that one might fall in, and if they are in these they have to see this film. Among them are nerd, gamer, comic geek, otaku, anime fan, cartoon buff, and manga reader. There are many more groups that one might fall under, but they should still see this film. It is easily one of the best movies in a long time, a refreshing change of pace, and a great watch. As such, it receives the highest of recommendations from this writer! Go see it as soon as you are able!! Until next time, game on!

Yeah, it's a copypaste article. Still, it's true. :D

Offline ZeroCracked

• Trapped In The 2000's
  • A-Class Hunter
  • 'Ya better pray to Martel one last time...
    • View Profile
    • My Chatango Chatpod From When I Was Still A Nooblet
Reply #566 on: November 23, 2010, 07:09:11 PM
[SPOILER=Text block]Soo... just watched Scott Pilgrim last night. Afterwards, I wrote this.

After just watching Scott Pilgrim vs. The World for the first time, only one thing can be said about it. It is made for nerds and gamers and as such might be one of the greatest movies of all time for said nerds and gamers. One would be amazed and awed at all the little references put in. Some are blatantly obvious, while others are slightly more hidden, much like collectibles in a video games. Now let’s get in-depth, shall we?

First off, the musical score. It’s a mix of hard rock, classic game tunes, and new chiptuned awesomesauce. It’s a mix that works beautifully together, and the transitions are top-notch between songs. On top of that, every song is well-suited to each scene. Also, since it’s a movie that heavily references video games, sound effects are also a major element. Whether it’s the secret passage revelation sound from the Zelda games or a generic 1up sound effect, these effects are well placed throughout the film to add emphasis to things that would otherwise be unappreciated.

Next up in this review are the visual effects. The average film has effects that have been used so much they’re quite generic now. Explosions, glow, you name it most films probably have it. What Scott Pilgrim has to offer is the type of effects more often found in the realm of gaming. Score tallies, extra lives, level names… these are what one will find in Scott Pilgrim. In addition, some scenes display a nice hand-drawn comic style, or just feature faces that are of that style. On top of that, other things that one wouldn’t see in the average movie are found such as enemies exploding into coins, random doors appearing out of nowhere, words describing sound effects comic-book style, and graphical indicators indicating the intensity of the music.

The fight scenes also display a style very reminiscent of comic books and graphic novels. No surprise there, as the movie is based on one. Regardless, it works extremely well for these scenes. These are also over-the-top with the fighting high into the air, signs that say VS or health bars, and even special moves! If any gamer wanted to see the love child of a Hollywood blockbuster and the latest video game, this would be it.

The tertiary review point is the story. Sure, it may be the generic love story at its core, but that’s after stripping away several dozens of layers. There is a lot more going on here than just the average boy-meets-girl story. This is boy-meets-girl-then-meets-another-girl-and-reluctantly-dumps-the-first-and-has-to-fight-the-second’s-seven-evil-exes-while-also-remaining-in-a-band-and-keeping-his-friends-in-the-process-among-other-things. As was said before, a lot more going on than the average story.

Lastly, since the movie is so similar to a video game, rewatchability will be discussed. That may not have been a word before, but it is now! With all the hidden little things in all the various scenes, this is a movie that can be watched over and over again. Not only that, but all the stuff that is a blatant thumbs-up to geek culture in general is awesome enough to show again. This is easily a movie that will see tens, if not hundreds, of plays in the future.

In conclusion, there are several categories that one might fall in, and if they are in these they have to see this film. Among them are nerd, gamer, comic geek, otaku, anime fan, cartoon buff, and manga reader. There are many more groups that one might fall under, but they should still see this film. It is easily one of the best movies in a long time, a refreshing change of pace, and a great watch. As such, it receives the highest of recommendations from this writer! Go see it as soon as you are able!! Until next time, game on!

Yeah, it's a copypaste article. Still, it's true. :D
[/SPOILER]

I am haunted by my need to watch this movie.

Courage is the Magic that turns Dreams into Reality.

I learned that all things explode in slowmotion if you punch them hard enough.

You may have to be on fire for that to happen, though.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #567 on: November 24, 2010, 05:39:34 AM
Avatar (no, not that racebending film, I still joke about that 'tho), I say, it's meh, on the bright side, the mech designs are okay, albiet generic. Not using joysticks to control them is a refresher though.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #568 on: November 24, 2010, 05:53:30 AM
Avatar was a very pretty animated movie.  Hackneyed plotline with a predictable ending, but still very pretty from an artistic standpoint, I agree with that.

You know how it is these days. They want CGI and Motion Capture instead of working with things that are actually there, either because they think they have problems (Storage? Actually getting the damn things moving?) or because they don't want to put the time and effort into making it. Its sad, I'd rather be more freaked out by the special effects being robotic over them being poorly made CGI that creeps into that Valley of Uncanniness.

What's worse is that the render didn't even move right, so I doubt it was mo-capped.  The lighting was off, the render lacked solidity, the model's weight maps looked to be shifting all over the place...  I'd expect to see that from a second year animation student, not a big budget film.  Kilowog looked horrible.  If I had the time, space, and materials, I could prolly do better with duck tape.

Offline MrBaryl

• A new Shooting Star.
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Everything for you"
    • View Profile
Reply #569 on: November 24, 2010, 06:17:50 AM
I have watched the six movies and I still don't like Harry Potter, seriously what's up with Me not liking this series?

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #570 on: November 24, 2010, 08:03:34 AM
I have watched the six movies and I still don't like Harry Potter, seriously what's up with Me not liking this series?

Its simply not to your tastes, just like how Anime isn't in the tastes of obsessive Japanophiles.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #571 on: November 25, 2010, 02:21:54 PM
Yeah, I'm not fond of how that Green Lantern movie is turning out. Would be nice if I was pleasantly surprised by it, but as it is my hopes aren't too high.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #572 on: November 28, 2010, 07:58:50 AM
I went to see the Deathly Hallows tonight.  I liked it, it was better than the sixth movie.  Though, the CGI in some areas could've used some more work.  And the needless fanservice was needless.

And speaking of bad CGI... I also saw the trailer for Green Lantern.  Kilowog still looks like [parasitic bomb].

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #573 on: November 28, 2010, 08:09:11 AM
Though, the CGI in some areas could've used some more work.  And the needless fanservice was needless.

Stuff like Dumbledore's grave and the ghostly sex over the lake respectively?

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #574 on: November 28, 2010, 08:55:43 AM
Well, Dumbledore's grave didn't annoy me as much as the overabundance of Harry with his knickers down.