The "What are you currently playing?" Thread

Saber · 721153

Offline Mr. Haxwell

• Totally hax
  • Master's Unit
  • The guy feeding off on your hate
    • View Profile
Reply #5000 on: September 29, 2016, 03:15:18 PM
Been playing "Don't Starve" lately. Sadly my PC lacks the OS to play the sequel, but oh well. *shrugs*

But, God forbid if I ever try to do a Winter (let alone I can never survive on the default season settings) only playthrough. There's just so much I cannot do in one day, to prepare for Winter.

Fear me.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5001 on: October 15, 2016, 04:04:43 PM
Played Xenoverse 2's beta, fighting is so much smoother-more maneuverability and much better hit detection than Xenoverse 1.

Oh RNG on drops seems different. Seems you are guaranteed a drop of some kind with an S rank or higher?

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #5002 on: November 07, 2016, 10:43:03 AM
Finished 2 classic puzzle games for the first time:

Tetris (NES, Nintendo version)

Dunno if I'm getting old or if the game is that good, but I had a blast. Super relaxing to play at the end of a long day. I used to own the unlicensed Tengen version as a kid, but I never paid much attention to it outside of some games with (and vs.) my parents and my brother.

The main mode of Tetris (Type A) is endless, but Type B has a goal and a proper ending. For the best ending with all the Nintendo characters, you must beat Level 9 Height 5, which requires clearing 25 lines with a ton of scattered blocks clogging up the screen. I'm not good at these games, so I had to constantly pause to think about my next move (with the current state of the puzzle memorized, because they were smart enough to hide the gameplay while it is paused). Most attempts lasted 2-3 seconds, haha.

After that I played Type A for a little while. Started at Level 0 and lost at Lv.12 or 13.

Bust-A-Move (SNES)

Scored the best ending, which requires beating the game in 5 credits or less. Took a few attempts and some science-ing to figure out just what exactly triggers the ending... info about this game is pretty scarce, couldn't find anything. After beating the game with the bad ending, I used a password that takes you to the final boss with no credits used. Lost 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and I was still getting the happy ending. Then I restarted from scratch and played the full game legit. Died 3 times on my successful run. No way I would have done this if you had to beat the whole thing without failing at all.

I love the gameplay, but I get the feeling that the arrow/needle/whatever isn't as precise as it seems. I'm no master of geometry or anything, but sometimes I could swear I was pointing at the right angle and the bubble decided to snap just the one pixel in the wrong direction. I have a crappy free clone of this game on my phone and it seems more precise than the real thing for some reason.

The game is super long. At 100 levels it takes 1.5-2 hours to get to the final boss, and then you gotta hope RNGsus doesn't summon the worst bubbles. It has passwords, but you have to die to see it, so cheesing this game is not that simple. Very cool idea, though, that boss fight. I like it when puzzle games do that. This game is set in the universe of Bubble Bobble... all the creatures and graphics have that adorable BB personality (Bubble Bobble theme plays during credits too).

Cool stuff.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #5003 on: November 11, 2016, 10:10:17 AM
Original Safari Zone is an absolute nightmare...

Got the Chansey in a lucky freak of nature throw, so now my only remaining hunts are Tauros and Kangaskhan. I'm just going to go through back to Saffron now, instead, I think.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #5004 on: November 11, 2016, 10:15:05 AM
I'm still on Victory Road, god help me......

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5005 on: November 11, 2016, 11:42:31 AM
You've still got Cerulean Cave after that, too

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #5006 on: November 20, 2016, 11:31:08 AM
Playing Shovel Knight, first time. Damn, what a cool game. Tingles all the right Mega Man senses and then some. My hand really starts to hurt after using the 3DS d-pad, though :\ Can't stop thinking about Nintendo's obnoxious "hey how about a break?" warnings.

In other news, I downloaded some of the more infamous Mega Man ROM hacks available out there. Can't wait to break my controller playing them. I'll post my impressions of them as I play. Here's what I downloaded + descriptions for those who don't know:

- Mega Man in the Mushroom Kingdom is a hack of MM1 with Mario sprites and (I believe) altered stage layouts to resemble Mario's
- Mega Man Ultra is a hack of MM2 that heavily borrows enemies and stage elements from other games
- Rockman No Constancy is a famous hack of MM2 where almost everything is new, from levels to enemy patterns. This one is ridiculously brutal
- Rockman 3: Burst Chaser is MM3 with new level design, tweaked presentation, and... you move 2x as fast! This hack was built for speed. Even enemies take less hits to die
- Rockman 4 Minus Infinity is a MM4 hack that might as well be a brand new sequel. Even the weapons are unique and there's a ranking system. I've seen live streams of this one, it's very polished
- Finally, Rockman 5 Air Sliding is a MM5 hack with altered level design and the ability to slide in the air. Works kind of like the air dash from MMX games. I played part of Wave Man's stage and I can already tell they tweaked the levels just enough to encourage/force using the air slides. Should be fun

Also, if you guys have other MM hack suggestions, please let me know!

Offline ThePsiMega

• Reaverbot
  • Cyberelf
  • Starforce fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5007 on: November 20, 2016, 12:01:45 PM
Mostly Golden Sun for the game boy advance. i didn't like it at all for the beginning of the game, considering how common the random enemy's showed up every two steps... but luckily it was fixed in the later areas of the game. I enjoyed watching all the main playable characters interact like family. It shows that they actually care for each other, and I loved that. Still have to beat the last area, but other than that, this game is amazing! I would definitely recommend anyone who likes RPGs this game.  owob

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #5008 on: November 22, 2016, 12:51:04 AM
Since it's the 25th anniversary of the Japanese release of Link to the Past, I'm going to bust out my Super Famicom and give it a go.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #5009 on: November 22, 2016, 06:16:16 AM
It's the 15th anniversary of Melee too so I should be practicing my short hop double lasers.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #5010 on: November 24, 2016, 02:58:37 AM
Finished Shovel Knight. 13:14 clear time. Hand's still pretty bad when I use the 3DS d-pad. =\ Circle pad is a little better, but still hurts. I'm gonna take a break from games for a week or two just to be safe.

Great game, damn. It was exactly what I expected, which in this case isn't a bad thing at all. Level design is a big Mega Man throwback. I loved the platform gimmicks they came up with, didn't think there was going to be so much original stuff. I like the variety of relics and how some of them can be used as mobility tools. And the music, holy crap.

The game is pretty forgiving. There are some tricky rooms, and I made it harder by doing the checkpoint-less feat on my first trip to almost every level, but all the bosses can be tanked easily with magic + chalices + HP upgrades.

Did as many feats as I reasonably could on a first playthrough: everything except deathless, speedrun, no relics, etc. I think I'm at 39/45. Will get the rest some other time.

Also, whoa, suddenly there's a new character and a challenge mode. Sweet.

Offline Mr. Haxwell

• Totally hax
  • Master's Unit
  • The guy feeding off on your hate
    • View Profile
Reply #5011 on: November 24, 2016, 02:23:12 PM
Played a bit of Cave Story; only to waste several hours in getting a bad ending.

Going to start from scratch and with a walkthrough this time.

Fear me.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5012 on: November 24, 2016, 05:50:47 PM
Playing FF14 as always, finished up the Alexander raids finally ,Alexander Prime was a lot of fun and had some pretty unique music. Also finished Weeping City the other recent raid I had yet to finish, it see now why the fanbase calls it Wiping City.  O^O

Weeping City had some pretty big nods to final fantasy 9.

The Main music is a very chill remix of the FF9 battle theme and Ozma is the third boss and is easily the hardest boss in the raid with some pretty complex mechanics. Oh guess Alexander Prime in the other raid is a FF9 reference too since it's the FF9 version of the summon with the angel wings; plus FF9's ultimate summon Ark is a boss just prior to fight Alexander Prime.

Tactics Ogre also got some love in the Palace of the Dead dungeon, a character from that turned out to be the main baddie of the dungeon and even two tracks from the Tactics Ogre soundtrack got remade for the dungeon.

Just need to finish off Binding Coils of Bahamut and Crystal Tower as far as raids go, and a few extreme level Primals here and there and I'm all caught up for the last patch of 3.0 and the eventual release of Stormblood later in the spring.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #5013 on: November 30, 2016, 05:22:31 PM
My hand isn't quite fully healed yet, but it's slowly getting better. I'm thinking about playing some 1-hand Wii games in the meantime, like RE Chronicles and World of Goo.

I'm also considering (finally) playing my first Final Fantasy game, since I hear the older ones can be played with minimal dexterity. For the most part it's just walking around and menuing, right?

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5014 on: November 30, 2016, 05:52:30 PM
The nes ones are purely turn based, the Snes ones have ATB systems but are similar.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #5015 on: November 30, 2016, 07:30:02 PM
If you play the NES ones I recommend the remakes since they're a bit dated, FF1 even had a weird way to save.  The lastest versions are on PSP, though 3 can also be played on Steam.

I also recommend the PSP version of 4 as it's the best version of classic 4, 4 on Steam is way different than Classic 4, great but it's a completely different game than Classic 4 and I recommend playing classic 4 before playing Steam 4.

5 I recommend the GBA version because the script localization makes it worth it and I refuse to play the mobile version.

6 it's hard to say whether the SNES or GBA version is better mechanically since SNES has a few fun glitches that make an easy game easier, SNES has better quality music and GBA has a better translation but the original still makes it easy to understand what's going on.

Now 7-10 are still turned based but all of them except 9 have a lot of different mechanics, I don't like 8 alone just for the game mechanics.  They're also way longer than the classic NES and SNES games.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #5016 on: November 30, 2016, 09:23:29 PM
Yeah, I should've added that I'm starting with FF6 SNES. Thanks for the info! :D

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #5017 on: December 01, 2016, 10:29:34 AM
If you're playing FF6 Advance via emulator, there's a patch to fix the music to the superior SNES one (and another one to fix the colors, since the GBA version was artificially brightened). I played FF6A on my stream with both those patches, most people didn't realize I was playing Advance lol

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #5018 on: December 01, 2016, 10:33:20 AM
Ah I was actually looking into that patch and they did update that this year and it's even better than it was before. 

Offline Frozen Potato

• The Unamused Blue Haired
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5019 on: December 01, 2016, 02:22:25 PM
I got my Pokemon Moon and...oh man I'm seriously enjoying myself with this game.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5020 on: December 01, 2016, 05:33:10 PM
Dragon Ball Fusions is actually a really good RPG, really unique battle system and character creation is also welcome.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #5021 on: December 02, 2016, 11:00:21 PM
Playing Metroid Zero Mission on emu, and VA-11 HALL-A on Steam, which is a pretty great VN about dystopias and bartenders.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #5022 on: December 03, 2016, 02:36:17 AM
Just about done doing everything in God Eater... now to figure out what else to play on my commute.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #5023 on: January 12, 2017, 12:59:51 AM
Been playing God Eater Resurrection and Dragon Quest 7.

Haven't gotten to the point I can change jobs in DQ7.

Res on the other hand I gotten a lot better than I was in Burst, the new weapons helped a lot and I finally used my [tornado fang]ing Gun regularly, though in exchange I'm neglecting my Sheild.  To drive that point home I actually took on the Solo Alisa Missions by myself unlinke in Burst when my now BF had to bail me out.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5024 on: January 12, 2017, 01:52:34 AM
A little more of Yellow lately. Catching is mostly done, and the... extracurricular... catching of Pokemon I can't actually get in the game using trainer-fly glitch is done too ;D was getting a little afraid of running out of usable trainers.

So now I can go forward to Viridian Gym. Leaving Seafoam Island for later because I tried to do it from the Cinnabar end but... nope.