Dem Bosses

Bueno Excelente · 8119

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 09:20:09 AM
Well, I had some fun boss battle times:

Julius Belmont (Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow)
In a wonderful twist of events in this game you get to fight the man that was able to destroy Dracula (Well almost but I don´t want to go into details about that...). This was the first time in CV history you could fight a Belmont for real (Soleyuu or how you spell his name and Richter were controled) and this old man uses all posible belmont tricks. This fight was intense and you finnaly got the feeling of how ol´ Drac was feeling in all those years fighting the Belmonts.
then you find out he was actually holding back, and you go holy sh*t, that was him holding back, he must have be chuck norris in disguise when hes serious!

as for me, I found Legion in AoS to be a real pain. have to destroy his shell, (and if you wanted to get the soul, destroy the entire outer shell BEFORE killing the inside legion!)then avoid the laser snakes, which deal some hefty damage with those beams. also, it will occasionally bounce around like a ball.
[tornado fang]er.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 09:24:33 AM
Menace in DoS. That was a crazy-ass boss.

Also, Chaos in AoS for sure.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 09:30:09 AM
Menace in DoS. That was a crazy-ass boss.

Also, Chaos in AoS for sure.
Chaos honestly was not too hard. first half, kill the red soul statue so you can use your main attack soul. then go for the rest. super jump can easily dode the emon that charges you. second half, just ignore everything else and salvo the [tornado fang]ing core. if those green things get too close, then hit them, but otherwise, ignore everything else.

now... MENACE... was an annoying boss. 3 different areas to hit. the chest head in the beginning of the fight, the head inside the skull mouth, and the head on the knee. all while having to take care of those pesky things he spawns. (which also do some good damage to you if they hit!)

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 09:36:29 AM
Yeah, but Chaos is fun.

And annoying is encompassed by the term crazy-ass. So annoying. I barely won. It's an insane boss fight, and when I beat it, I actually felt relieved. It was crazy. Don't forget how far you fly when you get hit! Hippogryph is an essential soul for that battle.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
  • Short for Sapphire Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 09:54:33 AM
Hmm... Favorite boss... Hands down, Orochi from Okami.

You fight him 3 times over the course of the game, each time either he gets weaker, or he's actually getting stronger but you're getting even stronger faster. Hard to tell. I love how part of the fight involves making him drink sake and getting his heads really sauced.

My thread of Random Crap

Who loves Grape Soda? Sapph loves Grape Soda! Is it true? Is it true? Ohyesohyesohyes it's true-oo~ I do I do I do I do-oo~

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 10:01:33 AM
Yeah, but Chaos is fun.

And annoying is encompassed by the term crazy-ass. So annoying. I barely won. It's an insane boss fight, and when I beat it, I actually felt relieved. It was crazy. Don't forget how far you fly when you get hit! Hippogryph is an essential soul for that battle.
Not to mention I was using Death's Scythe, which is slow as molasses. especially when you need to time the swing against Menaces little spawn.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #31 on: May 12, 2010, 10:33:19 AM
I did not have that. Used my trusty Claimh Solais.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: May 12, 2010, 09:49:52 PM
I did not have that. Used my trusty Claimh Solais.
Menace- I meant Menace.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 10:09:00 PM
My Favorite Metroid Boss or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love Prime 2: Echoes:

Quadraxis, Quadraxis, Quadraxis. I love how Retro managed to keep me wondering what the hell I should expect as the Dark World boss for Sanctuary Fortress, even though the writing was on the wall from as early as your first trip to the temple in the light world. (Honestly, there was one scan about some massive machinery that was recently being assembled which should have really clued me in.) Even then though, nothing got me ready to expect Quad until I had opened the gate to the arena in the Ing Hive and was on the elevator going down into it while noticing the giant [tornado fang]ing robot that was staring me down while offline at the moment.

Then a cut scene starts, and you see the black puddle being drawn into the machine complete with one of the best and most ominous songs in Prime 2's soundtrack and it's as if there's something that clicks in the back of your head telling you that [parasitic bomb] just got really real. XD

It also helps that this is really a shining achievement in terms of puzzle bosses, something that Prime 2 spoiled me with like mad, but took to its absolute apex with Quadraxis (and to a slightly lesser extent, the final boss, Emperor Ing). You had to take this thing apart piece by piece and the farther you got doing this, the more the game would throw at you to handle in a split second. Destroyed one of it's leg joints? Now you have to deal with it spiraling and sucking you into the center of its manic attack. Blew up a part of the motors that comprised its feet? Now it's stomping around you leaving shockwaves and [parasitic bomb] throughout the arena. Blew apart its body? Congrats, now its head has detatched itself from its dead weigh and is seeking to blast your ass with a potent bit of antimatter.

Further increasing the tension (unless of course you're a item stocking maniac like me), is the fact that throughout the match, you are fighting in the dark world with its erosion causing atmosphere without any of the bubble shields that were dotted around the dark world normally.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 10:13:26 PM
Hmm... Favorite boss... Hands down, Orochi from Okami.

You fight him 3 times over the course of the game, each time either he gets weaker, or he's actually getting stronger but you're getting even stronger faster. Hard to tell. I love how part of the fight involves making him drink sake and getting his heads really sauced.
Speaking of Okami, that reminds me of one. The buildup to Ninetails was perfect, and they really managed to make that fight feel important. The atmosphere of the entirety of the castle was heavy, and the atmosphere of the battle arena itself made the fight feel that much more epic. The music as well lent itself well to the battle. It didn't hurt that Ninetails as a boss itself wasn't the easiest of enemies the first time through, using brush techniques against you if you take too much time to draw your own.

Video of Ninetails. The fight proper is at 3:00, if you want to skip the buildup to the fight. (Yeah, new video... this one shows the fight better).

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
  • Short for Sapphire Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 10:30:49 PM
Speaking of Okami, that reminds me of one. The buildup to Ninetails was perfect, and they really managed to make that fight feel important. The atmosphere of the entirety of the castle was heavy, and the atmosphere of the battle arena itself made the fight feel that much more epic. The music as well lent itself well to the battle. It didn't hurt that Ninetails as a boss itself wasn't the easiest of enemies the first time through, using brush techniques against you if you take too much time to draw your own.

Video of Ninetails. The fight proper is at 3:00, if you want to skip the buildup to the fight. (Yeah, new video... this one shows the fight better).
Ninetails takes the #2 slot in favorite bosses, followed by Yami in 3rd.

Yeah, my top 3 favorite bosses are from Okami.

My thread of Random Crap

Who loves Grape Soda? Sapph loves Grape Soda! Is it true? Is it true? Ohyesohyesohyes it's true-oo~ I do I do I do I do-oo~

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: May 12, 2010, 10:54:36 PM
I'll take some time to add another boss to my list: Riku in Hollow Bastion in Kingdom Hearts (the first). He's hard in general, but he becomes significantly harder when he is low on HP. That stupid dashing move and... stuff are repeated so many times and it happens so fast that it almost caused me to throw the controller at the screen.

I would also add Sephiroth, but I only fought him once and I quit there.

Oh wait... FAVORITE bosses? My bad... Let's see...

I would have to say all the battles against Bowser in Super Mario Galaxy. Every time I fought Bowser, I felt like I was on an IV of caffeine. The music I also liked. It fit the boss fights really well.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: May 13, 2010, 07:32:19 PM
I remember fighting Xaldin my first time in KHII. That guy is seriously one of the most cheesiest bosses I've fought since the NES/SNES days. When his health is half full, he'll keep spamming this technique that allows him to ride his spears like a dragon, and you can't ever hit him while he's doing it.  >_<  O:<

I remember I had to call Mickey to come save my butt atleast 5 times in that fight. But when I played through it my second time, I didn't have to have Mickey step in. Probably because I knew what to expect...or maybe I was at a higher level.

I remember some of those people in the castle being cheesy too, but Xaldin is king compared to the others.

---

All of these contain spoilers, naturally.

The Top 10 Most Epic Final Boss Battles In A Nintendo Published Game:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/2043.html

The Top 10 Most Memorable Boss Fights:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/1994.html

The Top 10 Most Anticlimactic Final Boss Battles:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/1966.html

Offline Harruhy

• OOGLE BOOGLE
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: May 13, 2010, 07:52:29 PM
Not really a "boss", but damn. The battle against Red.
And I mean the original G/S/C. When I first got to him in Mt. Silver, hit A, read those ellipsis, and saw Red with the badass as hell pose...
Then the battle. Red's awesome team, tough as hell. It was incredibly epic.

Sure, the HG/SS battle was fantastic too, but the original, unforgettable.

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: May 13, 2010, 07:56:52 PM
Sure, the HG/SS battle was fantastic too, but the original, unforgettable.

BUT DAT HAT TIPPIN' D:

Or course, original Red has that better music....and design.

Archer

Reply #40 on: May 13, 2010, 08:18:59 PM
and saw Red with the badass as hell pose...
Isn't it like the same sprite from Yellow or something though

except flipped

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: May 13, 2010, 08:37:33 PM

except flipped
Shhh, no ruining the moment. =P

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: May 13, 2010, 08:37:58 PM

except flipped

Like Green/Blue? 8D

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #43 on: May 16, 2010, 06:35:28 PM
Has anyone fought the Boost Guardian from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes on Hard on the original GameCube version? That guy was NOT easy (even on Normal mode). I throw in some of my favorite bosses from games that I've played...

Seven Force (Gunstar Heroes and Alien Soldier/Genesis)
For obvious reasons...

Abyssian (Tales of Symphonia/GameCube)
This guy is just insane (especially on Mania mode). He has all sorts of demonic weapons at his disposal and his attacks hurts like hell. He uses a lot of your characters' techniques and spells like Tiger Blade and Eruption. But that's just the start: in the Japanese-only PS2 version of the game, he can also use Shining Bird, Divine Judgment, Indignation Judgment, and Lloyd's Falcon Crest.

The "True" EVE (Parasite Eve/PS1)
[spoiler=Parasite Eve]You are fighting Aya's biological sister who is the original mitochondrial Eve. She has some really annoying attacks that inflicts status abnormalities like slow or numb and she has well over 42,000 HP, which is a lot in this game. She also had this attack (if I can recall recorrectly) that was like Sephiroth's Heartless Angel and can reduce your HP to 1 in and instant. Plus she can use her version of Liberate against you, which can hurt like hell if your Defense and HP is weak (though I fought her with an armor that customized to have a fair amount of Defense and the highest HP enchancing ability at Lv. 99 that give me 999 HP).[/spoiler]

Sephiroth (Kingdom Hearts 1/PS2)
What this list my favorite bosses be with him in the line-up. But seriously, at lower levels he was the hardest boss in the game. I have a very vague memory about fighting him the original Kingdom Hearts since I haven't played in over 5-7 years. But again, fighting him was worth the EXP.

Gary/Blue (Pokemon R/B)
This guy because he can assemble a team of strong Pokemon with a wide type coverage and he had the most epic boss theme from the 1st Gen games.

Red (Pokemon G/S)
A huge step-up from Gary with a team of Lv. 70-80+ Pokemon.

Iris Zeppelin (Rosenkreuzstilette ~Blades of the Rose Cross~/PC)
[spoiler=Rosenkreuzstilette story and plot]This is a boss I was not expecting. She kills her own father, falsely imprisons a man who caught onto her plans (Karl Palesch, Liebea's brother), and uses a military unit to start a war with an empire while watching the game's heroine fight against her own friends. All for what: to alleviate her boredom. Iris is the type of boss who makes me say "How dare you do that!!" because she is bored of everything in the world and she decides to toy with people with her god-like powers and intelligence to devise such a plot. And she is certainly no pushover, either (namely in Rosenkreuzstilette ~Grollschwert~), being a hybrid of the Wily Capsule 5 from Mega Man 5 and Lumine from Mega Man X8 after all.[/spoiler]

Offline Chainsaw Guitar

• #1 Pulseman fan!
  • Robot Master
  • ^ GameFreak's true Magnum Opus right here. >:O
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: May 17, 2010, 03:41:55 PM
Shinki from Touhou 5: Mystic Square. This is like, the only time in a video game where I got an adrenaline rush from fighting an AI (Especially on my 1cc attempts). The aftermath of her attack, where Makai is left in flames is so freaking epic. Not to mention, the aforementioned attack has such a pretty pattern.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #45 on: May 17, 2010, 10:14:13 PM
I remembered another one. The final battle in Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales. So it's a kid's game, sue me. Anywho, it's basically a massive version of pong, except you're aiming up, and there's two paddles. And if you time it right and move into conjunction with your temporary ally here, you can do a super shot that stuns Bebuzzu's tentacles. There's four story-related phases, each of which use a different crystal as the puck. And the best part of it? The BGM is Battle at the Big Bridge, from Final Fantasy V. Got to that battle, and once that started playing, I was all, "OH YEAH! BATTLE AT THE BIG BRIDGE! THIS IS EPIC!" It's pretty damn fun! ^_^