C# MegaMan Engine

Tesserex · 69703

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: July 04, 2010, 06:37:24 PM
It urks me that I have to manually add every single tile from the sheet to the tile set itself. I think it would be nicer if I could just hit a "import all as separate tiles" button and it copies over the sheet to tiles. The I can just delete out the ones I don't want.

The other thing I noticed here, which is related to the above, I don't see any way to DELETE a tile.

I think it would be good to add x and y axis flipping to tiles as well.

The Snap option is interesting, but without a zoom in on the sheet window, it may be hard to use properly. Not that I'd ever be caught trying to import a tile sheet that wasn't aligned to a proper grid, but since the option is there...

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Pretty nifty overall.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: July 04, 2010, 07:21:40 PM
Both very good points, the import and deleting. Do you mean you would like an option to transpose or mirror the tiles as well? The base system doesn't currently support that type of tile. I can't think of any real tiles that would need that, or if you did a photo editor should be able to do that.

The snap option was because nearly every tileset I've seen online has had the tile images separated by a pixel.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: July 04, 2010, 08:51:09 PM
Yeah. I meant mirroring. Say you have an object in tiles, that faces left, and you want another that faces right. Perhaps to put on each side of a room. Or maybe there is a corner piece that you wish to mirror for all four corners. That's the sort of things I'd use the mirroring for.

And yeah, Sprites Inc has all their tile sets in a 1 pixel separation. Shame. People need to get equipped with ram management and proper game development techniques.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Xane

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
    • Filespace
Reply #53 on: August 19, 2010, 09:51:58 PM
The engine I'm writing for our fangame and XBLIG series is being written in C# as well.
With full VCR 6 (NSF) emulation and a full-fledged editor.
It's not intended for public release tho.

For some reason I can't seem to run the latest version properly, but the videos look promising.

MexicanSunflower

Reply #54 on: August 19, 2010, 10:05:19 PM
VRC6? That was never used in Mega Man games, why not try just using the 2A03 without DPCM like Capcom did it back in the day? Unless the VRC6 is just there for the novelty.

Offline Xane

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
    • Filespace
Reply #55 on: August 19, 2010, 10:12:26 PM
VRC6? That was never used in Mega Man games, why not try just using the 2A03 without DPCM like Capcom did it back in the day? Unless the VRC6 is just there for the novelty.
Just for the novelty, of course we'll be using the standard chip (4 channel, no DPCM) for our BGMs.

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: November 25, 2010, 04:27:10 AM
I think it's about time I bumped this. Since I signed on to use my engine for Time Tangent, I've been working more on the level editor. I got a lot of things fixed up but it's still not ready for wide release. The big issue is that it's not capable of producing a 100% working project from scratch - it can start a project, create a stage select, set music, even make stages, but it can't do entity editing or linking entities. Additionally, the engine still has some hard coded file paths, so in order for it to work, you would have to copy a bunch of existing files into your project for it to run. But other than that, it's pretty powerful. MexicanSunflower picked it up pretty quickly and used it to mock up some of our levels.

Since fixing that huge shortcoming may take a while, and it's not actually a huge deal, I think I'll just fix up some of the current bugs and finish the features I'm working on, and then release the whole package (engine, tile editor, level editor) at once. Maybe... a week?

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: December 05, 2010, 04:12:44 AM
Ok, I finally have something to show.

https://github.com/downloads/Tesserex/C--MegaMan-Engine/CME-2010-12-4.zip

Download that. It has the latest of my engine, the tileset editor, and the project / level editor. It also comes with my demo project. Note that the level editor isn't quite capable of creating a working project from scratch, because you need a player defined and other things like that, which is one of the reasons I provided the demo. If you want to start a new project, you can, but you'll need to copy some things over and edit your game.xml file manually to include the player.xml entities file. I would recommend just editing the existing project to start.

If you manage to make anything crash, please let me know how. Any other feedback is greatly appreciated.

edit: I had some stupid bugs in my demo project, like the zero stage not working, and dying as soon as you started the demo stage. If you already downloaded it, please try again. Sorry. (It's uploading now, should be done in a few mins.)

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #58 on: December 06, 2010, 08:22:44 PM
Umm..... Are you supposed to be able to play the exe demo right off the bat? I tried cilcking on the megaman.exe file, and I keep getting an error

I'm sorry, I couldn't find a file you were looking for. Perhaps the file path is correct?

The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0X8007007E)

I need to choose now. Sorry I don't have any more information.
at Mega_Man.Form1..ctor()
at Mega_Man.Program.Main()

That's the error I get when I try to run MegaMan.exe. I have extracted the files from the zip archive. I'd really like to try this demo. :)
Also, is it just me, or is the game copied in another folder? It's like there's two 'CME-2010-12-4' folders.

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: December 06, 2010, 08:38:43 PM
Sorry, I don't know how I managed to nest the folders like that in the zip. Whichever copy is newer, try that one. Then load the game.xml in the demo project - it should run right away. Did that error happen when loading the exe, or loading the game.xml?

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: December 06, 2010, 11:12:23 PM
I didn't do anything with the xml, except extract the files from the zip and attempted to run megaman.exe. am I suppose to do something with the files before I can run megaman.exe?

Sorry, this is saying from someone who doesn't have something like C# installed, hoping the game engine is at least playable.

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: December 07, 2010, 12:32:39 AM
Oh, well maybe there is something you need to install. Have you ever installed the XNA redistributable package? That could certainly be the problem.

If it's working, running the Mega Man.exe file (doesn't matter which, they're the same) should bring up the game window with a black screen. Go to File > Open Game, find the game.xml file in the demo project and select that.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: December 07, 2010, 01:34:06 AM
Okay that was it. I didn't have the XNA files installed. Thanks. :)

- There seems to be some floor, ladder collision errors in Spark Man's incomplete stage.
- No pausing yet (actually, i couldn't tell at first glance, but it does seem to pause, but no menu screen yet). Game still seems to be active even if window is inactive.
- Demo stage seems to kill you off instantly.

[spoiler=Not really, but just in case]Zero? in 16 bit SNES style from X2? If you think it will help, want to borrow my 8-bit Zero sprites? I just think the 8-bit & 16bit sprite clash is a bit much IMO. The 8bit Zero sprites I used would be the same as in the mm vs zero demo game I made in that one fighter engine.[/spoiler]

Other than that, seems like a very nice demo. I look forward to what else you do with this when you go to completing it. :)

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: December 07, 2010, 01:59:46 AM
Weird, I thought I already fixed those exact bugs. And reuploaded it. I guess I screwed up? Or edited the wrong files. The bug was that the tilesets have some mislabeled types. In demo, for example, the background is labeled as spikes, hence the death. I'm uploading the fixes now, so you can just redownload the same file again as soon as it's available and it will be fixed.

A pause screen is implemented but I think I just removed it from this demo. It's not 100% finished yet. I'll put it back in the next version. And about Zero, I'm not picky about sprite issues like that, I thought the clash actually enhanced the feel that Zero is other-worldly and can kick your ass. He's not as tall in 8-bit sprites either.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: December 07, 2010, 08:06:35 PM
In the last demo up, whenever I select Crystal Man stage, it crashes.
The other stages seem to work fine. Though the spike demo level seems that Megaman's teleport location seems a bit off. I donno if this was intentional or not.

MexicanSunflower

Reply #65 on: December 07, 2010, 08:32:48 PM
In the tiles.xml for Crystal Man, try replacing the first line with the following:

<Tileset tilesheet="tiles.png" tilesize="16">

I had a similar problem, and Tesserex told me it was caused by all the unnecessary directory information in the first line, so that should make it run.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: December 08, 2010, 05:24:12 AM
Okay that seemed to work. Thanks.

There is something else I noticed. When you charge a shot, and release fire when you are sliding through a tunnel, you shoot. I don't think you're supposed to shoot anything when sliding. I think the charge animation is still supposed to be active, just can't shoot. But if shooting while sliding is going to be a feature in this engine, at least make/edit some sprites for it.

When you are charging, then get hit, you can't recharge the buster. You have to release fire button, & hold it down again. This seems a bit of an annoyance.

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: December 08, 2010, 09:50:58 PM
It doesnt work for me

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: December 08, 2010, 10:03:17 PM
Please see above, you probably need to install the xna bundle I linked to above. If that isn't the problem, then you will need to provide more information.

N-Mario, I I'd run into that slide bug a few days ago as well. These are both technically not engine bugs, but actually bugs in the definition of mega man in the XML files. But since he's pretty central to the engine you could call it an engine bug. I'll fix them for my next release.

Did you try out the editor by any chance?

edit: I just tested things, and I don't see either of those two bugs. I can't shoot while sliding. I also recharge the buster if hit, without releasing the button. But I did notice a bug, that if you release charge while sliding, it continues to build power, it won't stay at low level.

Offline Gatuca

• A-Class Hunter
  • Sprite Doctor
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: December 09, 2010, 12:32:38 AM
may i ask, how much polish is this engine to start programming levels already?

and could you please add 8 way scrolling as optional?.

Here's My Facebook Account, Join the Megagirl R project http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002211482262

if you want to know my skype account, send me a PM

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: December 09, 2010, 02:19:47 AM
Gatuca -

The level editor is included. You won't be able to start a new project from scratch (well, you could, but it requires some manual work and file copying), but you can edit the demo project and add new levels all you want.

What do you mean by 8 way scrolling? You mean something that's already there, that you don't want? Or a new feature request?

Offline Gatuca

• A-Class Hunter
  • Sprite Doctor
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: December 09, 2010, 04:35:55 AM
with the 8-way scrolling, i meant a future feature request

Here's My Facebook Account, Join the Megagirl R project http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002211482262

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: December 09, 2010, 05:25:46 AM
Well then, could you describe what you mean by that? Is this an in game thing? What kind of scrolling? Where as you move the camera follows you? Because that already works in all directions.

Offline Gatuca

• A-Class Hunter
  • Sprite Doctor
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: December 09, 2010, 05:42:20 AM
Ok, what i mean with 8 way scrolling, is the ability to move and the camera moves with you as you are in the center of the screen, in areas that are several screens added in one area, here's an example:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AvbCuil7jg[/youtube]

BTW, is this engine still in alpha stage of development?, cause i wanted to use the Level editor, and doesnt seem to do anything, it doesnt show anything, no screens no maps no tiles, no nothing.

The tile editor on the other hand seems working fine, but i dont know how to make the animations.

im asking this, cause i have a project that i want to start properly, you know, programming the levels, and i want to do some tests óVó

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: December 09, 2010, 07:20:22 AM
Yes, the engine already supports this kind of scrolling. It's visible in the demo videos. It's not really alpha, and the editor does work. What did you do? After opening game.xml, the project menu on the right side (may be hidden by the history tab) will contain the project. Open stages from there and the maps will appear.

For the tileset editor, you create animated tiles by adding frames to a selected tile, and then setting an image for the newer frame, and specifying duration for each frame.