MD Geist

Jukebox_Hero · 1855

Offline Jukebox_Hero

• Hero of Jukeboxes
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
on: April 04, 2010, 06:13:11 AM
FEEL FREE TO SKIP DOWN TO "THE POINT" IF YOU DON'T LIKE READING BACKGROUND INFO, LONG POSTS OR WHATEVER

There's a good chance some of you guys have heard of this, but by and large, MD Geist is a little OVA series that time forgot... And by and large it's probably better that way.

MD Geist came out of the same period of the 1980's that Genocyber and Megazone 23 came out of, which is roughly around when the OVA first emerged (or so I've been told). This is also the period where Japanese animators were convinced that the human body's entrails were made of pressurized cotton candy and eyeballs could come shooting out of a person's head if they sneezed wrong. With the exception of Megazone 23 (which is a flippin' sweet OVA series, by the way), Genocyber and MD Geist relied sort of exclusively on the shock-factor of seeing copious amounts of gore in an anime for the first time to increase their sales. The result? Well... Kind of up in the air. They really didn't leave a massive impact on their target audience, but they've both amassed a cult following over the years, just because of how camp and over-the-top their gore is.

Anywho, MD Geist is ridiculous. Well and truly ridiculous. The plot is less than coherent and the visuals are hardly impressive, even within the scope of the era it was released in. But for some reason, I can't help but like MD Geist. It appeals to the bestial part of my brain that Fist of the North Star and Clint Eastwood movies do, in that its hokey manliness just makes me wanna go out back and kick down a tree or something tough like that.

THE POINT

But yeah, tangents and boring history stuff aside, I just wondered if anyone out there had heard of this particular little gas of an OVA? If so, you guys got any particular feelings towards it? I linked a youtube AMV with the series' theme "Violence of the Flames" by Hironobu Kageyama to this post for anyone interested. The AMV really kinda does a good job of capturing the spirit of the series, and the campy Kageyama song helps drive the point home (nothing against Mr. DBZ, mind you). What you see in this video is what MD Geist basically is: Ridiculous manly good times.

It's like... pseudo-gory. It might not be something you wanna open up at work, school, or somewhere that someone will look at you funny for watching it. But yeah, if campy gore bugs you, give this a miss.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxHgVBpKNEo[/youtube]

EDIT

Genocyber was actually an early 90's OVA series. WHOOPS. I always have trouble distinguishing from late 80's/early 90's OVA's, not much really changed. But yeah, just for the sake of saying it, my bad.

A Hero is just a Man who knows he's free.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 06:16:21 AM
Ahhhhh Geist.  Now that takes me back.

Offline Jukebox_Hero

• Hero of Jukeboxes
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 07:22:52 AM
I take it you got to watch the early dub? It's hilarious. The voice acting is horrible. Having seen both versions though, the Japanese voices aren't much better, but I think that's because the characters aren't really easy to work with.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 07:31:42 AM
Oh of course.  I'm such a fan of classic Eng. dubbing.  It's so awful that it borderlines on brilliance! 

Offline Jukebox_Hero

• Hero of Jukeboxes
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 09:31:31 AM
Oh of course.  I'm such a fan of classic Eng. dubbing.  It's so awful that it borderlines on brilliance! 

Exactly, it's a classic example of "So bad it's Good".