Official Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Specs, Tech, Price? It's all here!

Emiri Landeel · 261377

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
The case only hurt them about a dollar or two on each 3DS unit they've shipped

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
That's not exactly chump change, especially when you combine the fact that the WiiU is bombing hard and the 3DS had a very rough start forcing the half price drop. They were undoubtedly losing money on each 3DS sale, but the question is, are they actually making money on the 3DS unit sales at all even still? I'd have to guess not because the price drop was so dramatic. This may also change their manufacturing costs for the 3DS, and licensing costs for the technology in place. This all drops their income, and or raises their expenses. It's not just the 30mil, even though that's pretty bad in itself.

It won't sink them, but it's really bad regardless.
Supposedly Nintendo was no longer selling the 3DS at a loss as of July 25, 2012.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
If anyone cares about the EO series:

Etrian Odyssey: Millennium Girl announced. Coming to Japan on June 27.

- The story revolves around strong earthquakes and mysterious roaring in Etria. The protagonist (voiced by Kousuke Toriumi), a spear-wielder from the Highlander clan, is asked by the government of Etria to investigate and explore the ruins. Three other companions meet him on his investigation, and together go as far as the World Tree, which seems to have a deep connection to the ruins. During the investigation, they meet Frederica Irving (voiced by Maria Ise), a girl who lost her memories. She is a kind-spirited girl, but is wary of others, possibly because of her amnesia.

- During event scenes, each party member will have multiple portrait pictures with many expressions

- “The fun of the RPG was left just as it was, but since we’ve strengthened the story and characterization, this game will make it all the more easier to enjoy the true essence of the RPG,” said Komori

- Players will get missions from the Etria government, as well as necessary information and equipment. It’s recommend you visit various shops to prepare for your journey. If you have a mission or quest you can report on, their notification marker will appear on the right side of the screen.

Amnesia girl. How original.

Anyway, this is possibly a remake of the first game, with a much greater focus on characters and story; unlike typical EO fashion.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios

HarmoKnight

Platforms: 3DS (eShop)

Developer: Game Freak

Genre: Rhythm/Platformer
-------------------------------------------
Last year, a game was announced via a Japanese Nintendo Direct event that caught my eye. No, it wasn't Denpa Ningen RPG 2 (though that was the same presentation and I was intrigued by it), the sequel to the already-reviewed The Denpa Men. It was a little game called HarmoKnight: Rhythm Hunter. It was a rhythm game from the minds at GameFreak, and though most of the songs were original there were some audio cameos in the form of Pokémon songs. Time went by and it was eventually announced for localization, much to the relief of many, myself included. And it just came out yesterday, sans the "Rhythm Hunter" subtitle. So was it everything I had waited for? Did it live up to the hype? Why don't you read on and find out, eh?

After a brief introduction, the game drops you off at some tutorials. Thankfully these are fun little endeavors that help you get acquainted with the game. Also there's only 3 of them, which helps too; the last of these is designed to kickstart the actual storyline, and does so quite nicely. Beings known as Noizoids have invaded the peaceful realm of Melodia, and their very presence emits sounds that drive the local creatures insane. Tempo, the main character, and Tappy, his lapin friend, are tasked with carrying a legendary staff to Symphony City where Princess Ariana can find a worthy hero to wield it. Along the way they meet up with Lyra, an archer who shoots enemies from afar with her harp, and Tyko, a drummer who travels the world with his monkey friend Cymbi. Both have brief tutorials on how to control them, as there are stages where they temporarily take over for Tempo partway through.

It's a small group, but no game truly needs a large ensemble. The gameplay is pretty simple too, utilizing only a few buttons. There's also a nice interconnected world map a la Super Mario World that you traverse. The map is broken into sections, usually based on genre. For instance, there's a jaunty march world, a craggy rock world, a festive jazz world, and so on. I really enjoyed seeing the new areas and hearing the music; it's pretty good, which is almost a prerequisite for any music game. The boss stages are fun too; these stages take a Simon approach to the gameplay. You're told what to do with vocal commands and then you repeat. For instance, one stage might have you input RIGHT LEFT HIT HIT JUMP, all to the rhythm of the music. As with many rhythm games, the more you play the better you get, and some stages may take several tries to get right.

You're ranked at the end of each stage based on how many notes you collected; if you score high enough, the notes will cause the Victory Flower at the end of every stage to bloom. This gives you the Royal Note for that stage, which are necessary to proceed through the game. There are three ranks you can earn upon completion of a stage: So-So, which does nothing and means you have to retry for that Royal Note (provided you haven't earned it already); Good, which earns you that much-needed Royal Note; and Great, which gets you both the Royal Note and unlocks the option to replay the stage at double speed. If you get a Great on both versions of a stage (normal and fast), you'll unlock concept art visible in the Stage Selector, accessible on the World Map by pressing Y.

There's a lot of replayability in this title, something that's common across all rhythm games. After all, you'll want to keep playing to get a high score, and in this game there's unlockables for doing just that. You can also listen to the music of any stage by highlighting it and hitting Start while in the Stage Selector, something that I find incredibly awesome. Though the story may not take long to wrap up, there's some extra-hard stages that lie hidden within the world of Melodia, and it'll take some exploration through the stages to find out how to unlock them. The game also has a great sense of humor; the interactions between the group were very well-written, and I eagerly awaited seeing what they'd say next. Even Tappy, the game's helper character, is funny; you'll find him holding signs at various places throughout the stages, and sometimes he says some pretty hilarious things. It's also fun to hit him; if you time it right, an attack will make him stumble backwards and drop the sign he's holding. What's even better is that this is a good indicator of whether your timing is off or not; if you can hit him, then you're in good shape to continue the stage.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIEqEDJXUxk[/youtube]

All in all, HarmoKnight is quite the gem. Though the pricetag might be a little high at $15, I find that it is well worth it. There's so much to do and the music is so good that I've found it difficult to put the game down; I'm constantly going back to old stages to get a Great on them, or trying the Fast version of a stage to get a Great on that. HarmoKnight is definitely worth your time; it's a welcome reminder that GameFreak can make fantastic games outside of Pokémon, and one that gives hope for more unique experiences from them. There's a free demo available right now, and though the available levels in that aren't quite in harmony with the locations in the actual game, it's still worth it to check that out. Until next time, game on!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 04:03:39 PM by Mirby »

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-_1nQC_afE[/youtube]

The newest Nintendo Direct, featuring the new Yoshi's Island and Zelda 3DS game. :cookie:

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Just finished watching it.  0v0

Vixy, let's go have some celebration sex!  8D

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
To the Sexcellent New Entertainment Shack! :3

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
To the Sexcellent New Entertainment Shack! :3

*gallantly leads Vixy there*  8)

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Earthbound coming to the Wii U?  Holy [parasitic bomb]! :o

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Earthbound coming to the Wii U?  Holy [parasitic bomb]! :o

If anybody actually ever read my updates in the VC thread... :(

I mean I even made the title different to make it stick out.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Sorry I don't come here often unless it's Pokemon related. '>.>

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
new Yoshi's Island
Knee-jerk, "WHOO-HOO!", followed by a small amount of fear from remembering the DS one...

Zelda 3DS game. :cookie:
~w~

Seems like Nintendo is going New Super Mario on their other franchises, both in gameplay design and visual presentation.  The earlier, if it works as well, damn awesome.  The latter......I'll get used to it.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZtUQK0VYz0&list=UUbIh1VbkLpsu-fRi23q6HFA&index=1[/youtube]

This is probably the game I look forward to the most from that Nintendo Direct stuff.

Knee-jerk, "WHOO-HOO!", followed by a small amount of fear from remembering the DS one...
 ~w~

At least it looks pretty.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
I... hope that level they're showing in that Yoshi bit is just for demonstration.

Because that's clearly the first level of the game.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
You know, I don't have a link, but I saw some clips of what appeared to be hidden areas added to an older stage...

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Meh.

I want a Blues decal!

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Call me when they decide to pay homage to MM7's artstyle, I'm sick of 8-bit Mega.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
well to be fair, 8-bit Mega is the one turning 25. 16-bit MM7 Mega isn't. :/

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
well to be fair, 8-bit Mega is the one turning 25. 16-bit MM7 Mega isn't. :/

EXE megaman wasn't turning 15 on that anniversary yet he was the mascot for that one.

Same with 20th and Star Force.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Eh. Those were just the most recent installments at the time of those anniversaries.

And the most recent installment as of this anniversary was SFxMM. Which is 8-bit Mega.

soooo yeah

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Eh. Those were just the most recent installments at the time of those anniversaries.

And the most recent installment as of this anniversary was SFxMM. Which is 8-bit Mega.

soooo yeah

Except thats a fangame.

Officially sanctioned, but fangame nonetheless.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Still an official release on the official Capcom website.

And they were already in full-swing to release a bunch of stuff featuring 8-bit Mega, whether it was the titles on VC or the soundtracks for those titles.

It was just relevant to their anniversary plans.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Still an official release on the official Capcom website.

And they were already in full-swing to release a bunch of stuff featuring 8-bit Mega, whether it was the titles on VC or the soundtracks for those titles.

It was just relevant to their anniversary plans.

Yeah, I guess.

I'm just really sick of 8-bit now.

Its overplayed, I mean, the original games (and 10) are great, but I can't be wrong in wanting something different for once.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
True.

I am slowly tiring of it myself too.

It would probably help if not everyone and their mother was making 8-bit MM fangames.