Was RM&F the only internumerical sequel?

johnboy3434 · 9829

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 09:06:38 PM
till not wrong in saying MM10 was a main game that directly acknowledged the RMW series as happening.

You're referencing DLC instead of the main game. That's not exactly a direct mainstream game to side game reference. It first requires discussion of the questionable nature of the "Special Stages".

R&F's CD database could have easily been brought up without the pretext of "correcting" my point.

The pretext wasn't correcting your point, but rather establishing the relation to your point. That being that though R10 acknowledges through DLC some of the World games, R9 acknowledges through RnF the whole World series and MegaWorld. Making R10 not the sole acknowledgment of World, but rather further acknowledgment.

Were it not for the context of R9's RnF reference, the CD database loses its implications on the mainstream titles as it would be "just a side game referencing side games." Hence, this indirect web of connections is very important for filling the gaps that R10's DLC on its own leaves. From there, as you say, R7 is notable as well, as it references Rockboard, which in turn references both World1 and World2. Completing the picture.

Why isn't the CD database considered "lol game mechanics" anyway

It's part of the whole plot. What with the intro stage being the Robot Museum.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 09:13:14 PM
You're referencing DLC instead of the main game. That's not exactly a direct mainstream game to side game reference. It first requires discussion of the questionable nature of the "Special Stages".

The pretext wasn't correcting your point, but rather establishing the relation to your point. That being that though R10 acknowledges through DLC some of the World games, R9 acknowledges through RnF the whole World series and MegaWorld. Making R10 not the sole acknowledgment of World, but rather further acknowledgment.

Were it not for the context of R9's RnF reference, the CD database loses its implications on the mainstream titles as it would be "just a side game referencing side games." Hence, this indirect web of connections is very important for filling the gaps that R10's DLC on its own leaves. From there, as you say, R7 is notable as well, as it references Rockboard, which in turn references both World1 and World2. Completing the picture.

It's part of the whole plot. What with the intro stage being the Robot Museum.
R10 is a main game in the series that directly references the side games.  End of story.

If you have a point to make do so without the snide aside about my posts.  They aren't nessasary.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 09:17:49 PM
>_> Never EVER question Zan. He is infinitely smarter than anyone when it comes to the Rockman series (with the possible exception of Hypershell). If he makes snide comments on your post, he doesn't mean in it a rude manner. He's referencing your posts to further reinforce his. If the way he talks is snide, so be it. If you were any more upset about this, you'd be like that stupid blufighter moron. So please, stop. They are necessary as they are the main way to get his point across. End of story.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 09:19:36 PM
If you have a point to make do so without the snide aside about my posts.  They aren't nessasary.

I apologize for the first post, but there was no snide whatsoever in my last three posts.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 09:26:37 PM
>_> Never EVER question Zan. He is infinitely smarter than anyone when it comes to the Rockman series (with the possible exception of Hypershell). If he makes snide comments on your post, he doesn't mean in it a rude manner. He's referencing your posts to further reinforce his. If the way he talks is snide, so be it. If you were any more upset about this, you'd be like that stupid blufighter moron. So please, stop. They are necessary as they are the main way to get his point across. End of story.

Right.

Not sorry if I don't agree with Zan all the time and eaqually not sorry if I'm prone to replying in a snide, rude way if I'm talked to rudely and snidely.   If that makes me a "blufighter moron" then so be it.  If he's gonna rudely reply and not back down, don't expect me to.   Whether or not he feels it's the best way to make a point.

I apologize for the first post, but there was no snide whatsoever in my last three posts.

The first post set the tone for the subsequent posts.  But okay.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 09:37:23 PM
R10 is a main game in the series that directly references the side games.

If you don't mind, I'd like to return to this subject for a moment. Can we really consider the DLC as part of the main game? As in, do Bass Mode and the Special Stages happen with equal validity as the rest of Rockman10?

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 09:53:11 PM
Look at it this way. The story happens from his point of view, and Wily does mention that Rockman got infected by the virus too. Forte gets infected later on and is saved by Gospel. Forte leaves Wily behind, but Wily is rescued by Rock and Blues, and he gets sent to the hospital. The ending is what makes the main story of Rockman 10 a little confusing, when 3 characters are fighting the same last boss and the ending is similar for all 3 of them.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 10:09:48 PM
Video game continuity is not a perfect timeline; if there's multiple characters, then the timeline may diverge. But the basic events remain. [CHARACTER] is infected, [CHARACTER] fights final boss, final boss is defeated. Fill in the blanks for the story. That's it. The core story remains; minute differences such as minor storylines differences don't really apply in the long run.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 10:33:26 PM
MM9 and 10 are slightly different beasts than their cartridge brethering in how they're marketed and distributed.  But we've had so many multiple character games over the years that it hardly seems to matter if we add MM10 to the list.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: March 10, 2010, 11:41:38 PM
Look at it this way. The story happens from his point of view...

Whilst I appreciate the elaborate answer, the focus of my question was actually the Special Stages, as those are 3 additional stages with uncertain relation to the main game.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 11:46:50 PM
Extraneous material related only to extra gameplay with no relation to storyline or continuity whatsoever. That's what I think, at least.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 11:57:24 PM
-post-

Then let's wait and see if there is a story connection when they are available. ^^b

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 12:44:12 AM
I tend to see them as "real" appearances by the RMKs rather than just "extra" bits.  Mainly because I see no compelling argument against.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 01:23:57 AM
And if the game doesn't give you a story, you can just make up whatever sounds the most fitting!

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 01:26:31 AM
But that's fan canon, and that's what started the cataclysm theory. So.... no. Bad bag!

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 01:29:04 AM
But fanon's not so bad! Until you get slapped in the face with it, anyway. (Apparently "Roll Ryan" was a fan mistranslation of "Roll-chan", and I only recently found out...)

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 01:30:45 AM
But I thought that was the point of video games being interactive, that you had to make up half the story yourself.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: March 11, 2010, 01:31:12 AM
(Apparently "Roll Ryan" was a fan mistranslation of "Roll-chan", and I only recently found out...)

ロールりゃん (ryan)
ロールちゃん (chan)

>U<

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #43 on: March 11, 2010, 01:33:01 AM
HOLY CRAP! VIXY HAS A NEW AVVY!

Ahem... not when they have a determined, official continuity already.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #44 on: March 11, 2010, 01:35:25 AM
I don't think it needs an explicit story to count.  Although Capcom probably has one in mind.