Magma Bazooka - Atomic Fire
Plug Ball - Bubble Lead
Tornado Blow - Gravity Hold

Sheepman - Cloudman/Elecman
Commandoman - Searchman
Blademan - Tennguman/Swordman
Chillman - Iceman/Blizzardman/Coldman
Pumpman - Oilman

On side note I think that MM5 bosses are the only one that aren't ripping off other robots and are not ripped off by other robots at the same thime.  8D

Offline Stardius

• Lazy and overall passive
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 10:28:11 PM
They all belong into same franchise that is not really called ripping off as far as I know it is just reusing already set ideas and it doesn't happen just with MM9 and 10.
I don't really see problem, given that this happens in many different franchises.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 10:28:29 PM
CAPCOM

PARAGONS OF ORIGINALITY

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 10:29:53 PM
Yeah and what's up with his name?

Mega MAN? Clearly stolen from Super MAN.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 10:36:56 PM
Which means... that the MEGA DRIVE STOLE MEGA FROM MEGA MAN! It's a circle of thievery!

Also, Wily can reuse his blueprints from old RMs. So of course there's similarities. (Also, it's Tengu Man, not Tennguman)

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 03:25:59 AM
Yeah, cause Dive Missile totally retrieves items for you.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 03:33:23 AM
Commando Man just looks like a bigger clone of Magma Man, if you ask me.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 04:12:06 AM
The re-use of special weapons in a MegaMan game is supposed to be news?  If this is shocking, X5 would render this guy catatonic.

Jewel Satellite - Skull Barrier/Star Crash
*gives him ZEE UPPERCUT!!*

THAT'S the earliest shield weapon you can think of?!

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 06:21:41 AM
If this is shocking, 3 would render this guy catatonic.
herf.

Offline dzamper

• Cyberelf
  • BanaLuigi, number-a one!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 03:44:53 PM
THAT'S the earliest shield weapon you can think of?!
No, these are the most similar shield weapons I can think of. Also, I know how they started to run off ideas in 4 (or even in 3 & 2), but come on, this is whole five out of eight weapons and five out of eight bosses. And there's probably even more.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 04:12:39 PM
HAHAHAHAHA

Also, Protoman is clearly Cyborg 009 and Racer X.
Wily is ripped off from Einstein and Light from Santa Clause, Quickman looks like Casshern, (In fact, Quickman WAS based off of Elecman in story, Metal off of Cut, etc.
Shadow Blade it Metal Blade etc.
Oh my what a tangled web of deception and theivery~

Dzamper, seriously... How the hell is this shocking? X5 for the most part is a carbon copy of X4. With moves from as far back as M2. Magma Dragoon is Akuma, Split Mushroom is Geminiman,and the franchise as a whole, ESPECIALLY the classic series, has multiple weapons with the same exact function.
In fact, some X1 weapons are like classic weapons.

And how is Blade Man ANYTHING like Tengu Man?

Theres something wrong if your JUST noticing this.
If anything, complain about the lack of a Charge and Slide, or Protoman's shield working backwards, or the fact that he has the Megaman 4 charge shot.
Things actually worth complaining about, not something that has been known since the second Megaman game.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 11:21:47 PM
Look at any series that's been around for a while. The one thing common between ALL long-lived game series (Mega Man included, of course) is that things are repeated frequently.
Lessee...
Mario: Obviously the Feather from SMW rips off the Leaf from SMB3.
Kirby: Same powers over and over. What unoriginality.
Sonic: Green Hill Zone, Emerald Hill Zone, Neo Green Hill Zone, Sunset Park Zone (or whatever it is). Each rips off the previous. Hell, the music for the last one is a blatant rip-off of Green Hill Zone's music!
Final Fantasy: Need I say more?

So, you see, this happens ALL THE TIME! So stop acting like it's some sort of top-secret conspiracy that only you can break and realize it's just common practice in the industry.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 12:09:58 AM
GASP!

Revealing how Capcom recycles ideas only vaguely similar to eachother?

THIS TOPIC IS CONTROVERSIAL.

The Mega Man series has a massive library of bosses, it's only natural that some of them would, at some point, begin to seem a little similar to one-another. It isn't a big deal, I'm sorry.

Chillman - Iceman/Blizzardman/Coldman

They're fricking ice-themed robots, my friend. There's only so much you can do with that particular motif. By that logic, you're essentially implying swans are a rip-off of ravens because they have beaks and wings, despite both of them being avians; or people ripping off trees because they both absorb and release natural gasses from the air to respirate.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 12:20:30 AM
The sun is a blatant rip-off of all the stars in the universe! Let's destroy it! ::)

Seriously though, this is a moot point. So please stop dzamper. Your argument has been proven invalid.

Offline Crappy Blue Luigi

• That guy who does stuff sometimes.
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel.
Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 06:10:51 AM
Hornet Chaser - Dive Missile -Except it actually works. And grabs items.-
Jewel Satellite - Skull Barrier/Star Crash -Except it's the best shield weapon. If you think the Skull Barrier, Star Crash, or Plant Barrier is better, there's something wrong with you.-
Magma Bazooka - Atomic Fire -Except it shoots three shots. And it's meant to be a sort of tribute to the Atomic Fire anyway. Mega Man 9 is a revival; Mega Man 10 is going to bring in the new stuff.-
Plug Ball - Bubble Lead -Except it hugs walls and floors. That's not a big difference at all.-
Tornado Blow - Gravity Hold -Alright, I'll give you this one. Sure, it boosts your jump height some, too, but it functions almost exactly the same as the Gravity Hold, just with a minor delay.-

As for the Robot Masters... What do you expect from Capcom? They've already done everything, so now they're rehashing everything with a twist. Eventually, they'll rehash everything with two twists!

Offline dzamper

• Cyberelf
  • BanaLuigi, number-a one!
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 04:51:49 PM
Well, I know that most of the robot masters have some kind of natural power, like water/fire/ice/rock/speed/timestopping/flying/whatever, but there are still many options left. And Sheepman actually splits into CLOUDS. If it would be Sheepman, it would shoot fur bullets that blind enemies or something. But this feels like Capcom was "Okay, we have only 7 robot masters, so let's copy some of the old ones. Okay, Cloud is cool, just give him some other name because Cloud Man II sounds stupid. Brainstorm. Cloud is fluffy. Maybe something fluffy. Sheep. Sheepman. Sheeps don't shoot thunders, so let it split into clouds. Clouds shoot thunders. /topic". Okay, maybe I nitpick too much here, but I'm certainly not like "OMGZ ALL BOSSES HAZ BLACK OUTLINES PLAGIARISM!!11!!eleven11!". Similarities are fun. Copies are not. Maybe many companies are doing this, but also many people kill and steal. You can, but you don't need too be like them.

It amazes me how one "group" of you tell me that I'm Cpt. Obvious, while the others try to tell me that I'm completely 101% wrong. Also, why you tell me I'm on the rage like "I MUST BE RIGHT IT'S BASED ON ATLANTIS' SCIENTISTS WORK IF YOU DON'T AGREE THEN YOU HAVE NO BRAIN", when I wrote only two messages, with no exclamation marks or offensive phrases.

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 06:54:20 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't see why you feel the need to defend yourself here. It looks to me like you're just nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking, or possibly pulling a poor man's attempt at trolling.

It amazes me how one "group" of you tell me that I'm Cpt. Obvious, while the others try to tell me that I'm completely 101% wrong.

CONCLUSION JUMPER MAN~

Also, why you tell me I'm on the rage like "I MUST BE RIGHT IT'S BASED ON ATLANTIS' SCIENTISTS WORK IF YOU DON'T AGREE THEN YOU HAVE NO
BRAIN", when I wrote only two messages, with no exclamation marks or offensive phrases.

You don't need to abuse exclamation marks or cuss like a sailor to incur people's ire.

Either way, this topic is inherently pointless and redundant. Most people already noticed the similarities, they don't need them to be drawn to their attention with bright crayon diagrams and pointing-out of them; and even for the people who didn't notice or care to notice, why bother even making this topic in the first place? It's not like it's a shocking revelation or anything. As the old adage goes - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

In short, redundant thread is redundant.

And yes, I am well aware of how sad it is that I bothered to type all this after proclaiming it to be a pointless discussion. I'm like that.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 07:02:03 PM
Ok, it's done, move on.

To prevent a potential heated debate, I'm locking this.
... I need a Locked tab.

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 07:09:46 PM
Well, I know that most of the robot masters have some kind of natural power, like water/fire/ice/rock/speed/timestopping/flying/whatever, but there are still many options left. And Sheepman actually splits into CLOUDS. If it would be Sheepman, it would shoot fur bullets that blind enemies or something. But this feels like Capcom was "Okay, we have only 7 robot masters, so let's copy some of the old ones. Okay, Cloud is cool, just give him some other name because Cloud Man II sounds stupid. Brainstorm. Cloud is fluffy. Maybe something fluffy. Sheep. Sheepman. Sheeps don't shoot thunders, so let it split into clouds. Clouds shoot thunders. /topic". Okay, maybe I nitpick too much here, but I'm certainly not like "OMGZ ALL BOSSES HAZ BLACK OUTLINES PLAGIARISM!!11!!eleven11!". Similarities are fun. Copies are not. Maybe many companies are doing this, but also many people kill and steal. You can, but you don't need too be like them.

Wow...okay, where to begin...

First of all, the idea of SheepMan is the idea of static electricity, just RM'd pumped up to lightning status.  Second, you just disproved your own "ripping off" theory with SheepMan, as CloudMan does NOT split into 4 clouds, therefore making SheepMan not a rip off of CloudMan.  Third, clouds do not SHOOT thunder.  They shoot lightning.  Fourth, the idea that these games are ripping off older MegaMan ideas is just plain amazing in itself.  Um, you cannot rip off your own company's work.  If the games you are ripping off are games that you own, then it's yours.  It would be different if Roll showed up wielding a Superdragon, because then she'd be ripping off Perfect Dark.  

And finally, this game has Playable Blues from the start, so every single thing you mentioned doesn't matter.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 07:41:57 PM
Third, clouds do not SHOOT thunder.  They shoot lightning.

Tell that to every game company ever. They all use thunder and lightning interchangably.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.