NintendoPalkia · 39788

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: February 22, 2010, 06:15:03 AM
Oh you want something more like that? *edits original post*

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: February 22, 2010, 06:17:32 AM
Oh you want something more like that? *edits original post*

[tornado fang] yeah! Using Odoroki Housuke/Apollo Justice sprites as well. <3

Offline Kit

• #1 wizard of disappearing
  • Master's Unit
  • hue
    • View Profile
    • Art stuff
Reply #77 on: February 22, 2010, 06:23:44 AM

I have a considerably hard time believing those are screen shots at all.

Not only have we not seen any proof of an actual running engine, there are very harsh inconsistencies in the supposed screen shots.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs45/f/2009/120/c/0/Rainman_Stage_Sprites_by_foxthefoxx.jpg
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs46/f/2009/192/3/f/Absorb_Man_Stage_Sheet_by_foxthefoxx.png

You can see here, and here, there are two mock settings. More peculiarly Absorb man stage's mock setting is also clearly shown in its exact dimensions in these "screen shots".

There is also another piece of evidence.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/035/0/8/Megaman_FanGame_stage_select_3_by_NintendoPalkia1.jpg

This is supposedly the boss select screen for this game. What do you notice that is contradictory? Again, the size of the screen.

In fact, even if the screen size was close to what the "screen shots" may suggest, there is no way those mugshots would fit on a select screen in that resolution.

Are you telling us you are making those mugshots merely to be thrown away?

I find it hard to believe, that these are actual screen shots at all! How do you explain these inconsistencies?

Oh my god I love you.
Also I totally would make a prosecutor response but I just can't lol

they dont think it be like it is but it do

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: February 22, 2010, 06:27:19 AM
I totally would make a prosecutor response but I just can't lol

Just posting an Edgeworth sprite is good enough. 8U

But since he used sprites of Apollo, you'd have to post some Klavier sprites. :B

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: February 22, 2010, 06:29:55 AM
Nah this is good enough.

Anyway, RDW best post ever there.

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: February 22, 2010, 06:30:35 AM
Nah this is good enough.

Payne is also good. >>;

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: February 22, 2010, 06:30:58 AM
That post is excellent, Well done! It is completely saturated in excellent. Definetly a good way reveal the "Game" as a fraud.

Offline borockman

• Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: February 22, 2010, 06:32:12 AM
Payne is also good. >>;

You want NP to use Klavier Gavin awesome sprite?  8D

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: February 22, 2010, 06:32:33 AM
@RDW: Post of the year, man... XD

Like... So?

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Sniper X

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: February 22, 2010, 01:25:12 PM

I have a considerably hard time believing those are screen shots at all.

Not only have we not seen any proof of an actual running engine, there are very harsh inconsistencies in the supposed screen shots.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs45/f/2009/120/c/0/Rainman_Stage_Sprites_by_foxthefoxx.jpg
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs46/f/2009/192/3/f/Absorb_Man_Stage_Sheet_by_foxthefoxx.png

You can see here, and here, there are two mock settings. More peculiarly Absorb man stage's mock setting is also clearly shown in its exact dimensions in these "screen shots".

There is also another piece of evidence.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/035/0/8/Megaman_FanGame_stage_select_3_by_NintendoPalkia1.jpg

This is supposedly the boss select screen for this game. What do you notice that is contradictory? Again, the size of the screen.

In fact, even if the screen size was close to what the "screen shots" may suggest, there is no way those mugshots would fit on a select screen in that resolution.

Are you telling us you are making those mugshots merely to be thrown away?

I find it hard to believe, that these are actual screen shots at all! How do you explain these inconsistencies?
Awesome post! But I've seen this kind posts before in my head. Huh, de ja vu. o~O
Ah, well awesome post!

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #85 on: February 22, 2010, 06:01:14 PM

Let's not jump to conclusions just yet! Besides the issues mentioned, there are things that can still be fixed.

So sit tight, and take a closer look at my magical discovery~

Let's look at the Stage Select screen first. It has been resized to fit the fully accepted screen size for a NES game (224 height + 16).

Now, there are things that look right to a blind eye...

But if you look a bit closer, you can see so many other problems that simply doesn't add up with Famicom Rockman standards, but there are also a few things that are right as well. Let me explain.

- Every tile has to be a multiple of 8 pixels. Each tile can be pieced together so they can become a full-sized image, but the limitation is that everything must fit in "within" a resolution or screen size that is divided or multiplied by 8. You can't use an odd number, or there will be a lot of issues right away. Oh, and another thing. The boss mugshots aren't even separated from each other at the right pixel size. Let's compare the distance between Furnace Man and Copter Man for example. They are 26 pixels away from each other. That's 2 pixels too much. Same thing between Copter Man and Burn Man, where they are 23 pixel away from each other. That problem is because Copter Man's mugshot was moved one pixel to the right, while the other mugshots above Copter Man are aligned properly. That's something you have to think about when thinking NES limitations. Always think in 8 pixels here. No more, no less.

- Boss mugshots are supposed to be 32x32 on the old NES games, but can actually be any bigger size you want, as long as it's adding 8 pixels on each side. For example, on a few of the SNES games, the size jumped to 40x40 and 48x48. Palkia's mugshots (without the borders) jumped to 34 width and 33 height. That doesn't really work when it comes to NES limitations. It "could" work if EACH border became one whole image instead of reusing the borders on all mugshots. The problem with this is that mugshots that are larger than a size multiplied by 8 will create extra tiles, and those extra tiles will show the mugshot on one side, and the rest of the pixels will be used for transparency effect. For example, to be able to fit the 34x33 sized mugshot into NES limitation, they have to turn the whole mugshot into a 40x40 image. You will now notice that since the actual image is 34x33, the extra 6 pixels on width and 7 pixels on height will become a transparent background color. That will create extra data that will make the game ROM bigger than it should be.

- Another thing is the borders for the mugshots. They are also inconsistent. One complete mugshot with borders on Palkia's image is 52x51. That doesn't work at all, and if you want to make that work, you have to follow the extra tiles rule again, which will add even more data into the game ROM. A good-looking border for a Rockman mugshot should be at least 8 pixels on EACH side (or twice that size, depends on which art style you are going for when spriting these mugshots). When I say 8 pixels for a border tile, I also include the black line art too. So a little math will show that, 32x32 for a mugshot, adding 8 pixels border tiles on each side (on top, bottom, left and right side of the mugshot) will make a total of 48x48. That's a very good size for a mugshot and it will give you room to fit the mugshot on all 8 corners of the screen, while you can use the extra space for some messages, and maybe even a button that takes Rockman to the Shop.

- The text isn't even properly aligned. Each symbol is supposed to fit into a 8x8 tile (or bigger than that if you want bigger symbols, but they have to still follow the "multiplied by 8" rule). And the symbols are to be placed right after the 8th pixel for each symbol. You can't just place them together anyway you like, or they will just look wrong. There are two bosses that had their names aligned properly, and they were Motor Man and Furnace Man. The rest of the bosses names has the letters centered. That's a big no-no in the game-programming world. You can't just align the symbols anyway you like. EACH symbols has to stay "within" a 8x8 tile like it was mentioned a while ago, and right after the 8th pixel, "then" you are allowed to place a new symbol next to the last symbol.

Phoenix Wrong:

Phoenix Wright:

Remember. Every sprite you make should fit inside a screen size that can be divided or multiplied by 8. You can make the actual sprite any height or length you want so that it fits "inside" a specific screen size, like say 64x32, 24x24, whatever size you feel it has to be, but the screen size should be divided or multiplied by 8. Don't forget!

- Finally, you can't use many colors on one mugshot and hope it will look good. A tile at size 8x8 can only have 3 colors and 1 transparent color. But there are ways you can "cheat" the NES palette limitations so that you can add more colors into one sprite. Let's take Rockman himself as an example. Notice how his body has 2 colors for his body, one color for the line art of his body, and a transparent color outside the body. Next is his face, which has both the white and black colors that make out his eyes, and the skin color, and a transparent color. But wait, that's more than 4 colors. How does that work? Well see, the body of Rockman has a hollow spot right inside the helmet, at the spot where the face will show up. Thanks to different tiles with different colors, you can add many colors to one sprite and still make it work on a NES. The face is one layer, and the body is another layer. The body will overlay itself over the face, and the body palette is the part that picks different colors when you switch weapons. The face colors will stay the same. You can put a switch into one tile that will shift to different colors depending on the situation of the game, like example weapon switching or entering new worlds in a game. You are allowed to do this for boss mugshots too. Just make sure you have tile layers that are overlaying against a tile layer with different colors, and you will be able to fit in more colors. That mugshot rule has been done on Rockman 2. For a proper Famicom Rockman game, a sprite should still only be allowed to have a total of 8 colors on it (so that means only 4 colors on one tile, and 4 colors on another tile). There aren't many games that use this "cheat" for overlaying tiles onto each other, but Rockman was among the first games that did this with amazing results.

Oh wow, that took so much time, so I have to move right to the "mock-up" sheets.

All I can say is that they have too many colors and JPG artifacts on them. Give them less colors to make them look better. Not to mention that the tiles are 15x15 and are not divided or multiplied by 8 at all. You have to resize each tile to 8x8 or 16x16 tiles, or they will just leave a transparent color next to each tile and it will look weird when someone is playing the game.

That's everything I had to say. I will add more if I come up with something. ^^

How did you like my magic act, (A)polly~? > w <

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: February 22, 2010, 06:20:17 PM
Lovely show

Offline Stardius

• Lazy and overall passive
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #87 on: February 22, 2010, 06:21:17 PM
That's a lot of fish... I mean text..
And I really liked it.
It is funny to see, how this is turning more into Ace Attorney thread  XD, but it is good to see, that at least Vixy gave some useful info.

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #88 on: February 22, 2010, 06:33:03 PM
Quick RDW! Use the Perceive System!

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #89 on: February 22, 2010, 11:16:55 PM
Quick RDW! Use the Perceive System!

Nothing was presented to disprove my objection. However his NES accuracy just got SLAMMED. He probably wont even read and follow all the good advice anyway.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #90 on: February 22, 2010, 11:19:39 PM
Nothing was presented to disprove my objection.

Why would I want to disprove something you were right about in the first place?
You only forgot to give more exact detail on the issues with those images, so I took care of that. XD

And I wanted to be a contender for "Best Ace Attorney poster". >U<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline borockman

• Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #91 on: February 22, 2010, 11:56:10 PM
ITT post Ace Attorney related gif.  8D

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #92 on: February 23, 2010, 12:07:24 AM
Why would I want to disprove something you were right about in the first place?
You only forgot to give more exact detail on the issues with those images, so I took care of that. XD

And I wanted to be a contender for "Best Ace Attorney poster". >U<

It sounded like he was looking for me to respond to your post. But there was nothing to object to. You only helped.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #93 on: February 23, 2010, 01:16:15 AM
And it shows in the smugness of your avatar. XD

Offline Kit

• #1 wizard of disappearing
  • Master's Unit
  • hue
    • View Profile
    • Art stuff
Reply #94 on: February 23, 2010, 01:33:04 AM

Me enjoying my Dr. Pepper.

This thread.

My reaction.

This thread is now about Mia's boobs.

they dont think it be like it is but it do

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #95 on: February 23, 2010, 01:35:41 AM
The Boobie Turnabout.
Literally. XD

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #96 on: February 23, 2010, 03:09:15 AM
Nothing was presented to disprove my objection.

I just wanted you to use it. >>

I support this!

Turnabout Tits.

Fix'd? >.>;

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #97 on: February 23, 2010, 03:12:52 AM
Whatever fits the case now.
Works too. XD

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #98 on: February 23, 2010, 05:21:05 AM
If I wasn't so tired, I'd draw Mia's boobs and post 'em.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #99 on: February 23, 2010, 05:44:33 AM
I just wanted you to use it. >>

Consider them used.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout