Super Smash Bros. Thread

Akamaru · 662213

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #5850 on: April 20, 2015, 08:06:25 AM
About the AI and airdodging, there are 2 ways to counter this at the top of my head. One is that there are a few attacks that last long enough such that an airdodge can't go through it completely, and I think Pikachu's backair is an example of this. The other approach is, instead of pursuing an enemy in midair, simply punish them on their landing because even if you airdodge into a land, you suffer from noticeable landing lag where you're completely vulnerable. For counter characters, go for a running grab.

Speaking of pattern recognition, the same applies for amiibo as well. The amiibo is designed to be conditioned into whatever attacks works best, so you can exploit this by going to 300% slow smash and repeatedly getting hit but what you want your amiibo to do. I was able to get a Toon Link to spam nothing but his custom sliding spin attack up until about lv 30 where his AI will randomly up-B off the stage and self-destruct (thus telling the amiibo that up-B is now bad).

For Wii U Classic 9.0, because there are many instances of free-for-alls unlike the 3DS ver, the general strategy is to basically camp and survive until a few are left such that you can pick them off with ease (since you have a 2 stock advantage).

Master Core at 9.0 is all about squeezing in little hits and priming yourself to dodge/shield whatever comes next. Master Beast for example generally rotates between all of his attacks, so the idea is that you alternate between tilts and shielding/rolling until it does its background attack where it leaves himself vulnerable and you can throw out a Smash attack. Same with Master Edges, you basically alternate between a quick aerial and dodging until it throws out his fast swipe attack, after of which you can somewhat go ham because all its other attacks have a long tell to them.

Too bad we don't have language options from Melee anymore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGQJu5pCh_g

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #5851 on: April 20, 2015, 08:11:02 AM
Finally got all the Smash Run powers, going through Classic now with everyone. After I finish that, only the collect all headgear/clothes/moves challenge will remain

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #5852 on: April 25, 2015, 04:23:03 AM
So Mewtwo's scoring is fixed.  Yay!  Celebrated by clearing all the Multi-Man Smashes with him.  Surprisingly, 150 KOs on my first Endless.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5853 on: May 01, 2015, 06:15:38 PM
Question to those of you who don't live in the southern US, where we don't always get things as quickly as the north: Has Marth's amiibo been re-released yet? The estimated release window was late April, but now it's May and still no sign of him.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #5854 on: May 01, 2015, 11:00:43 PM
Question to those of you who don't live in the southern US, where we don't always get things as quickly as the north: Has Marth's amiibo been re-released yet? The estimated release window was late April, but now it's May and still no sign of him.

Last Nintendo Direct they changed it to May.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #5855 on: May 01, 2015, 11:08:58 PM
That implies one will be able to reliably find Marth.  Reissue or no, I'll believe that when I see it.
(I'm in Pennsylvania, btw)

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5856 on: May 02, 2015, 12:22:27 AM
Last Nintendo Direct they changed it to May.
Ah. Well, there's a bit more time to save up, then.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5857 on: May 02, 2015, 12:42:01 AM
Amazon UK just recently had Wave 5 amiibos up for preorder (Shipping to US)

They're unavailable now but they had ZSS, Palutena, Ganondorf and Dark Pit with a release date of 5/7 for some strange reason.

I had orders for ZSS and Palutena but deleted them because I wanted to merge them. But I have G-Dorf and Dark Pit now so its not all bad. its a bit pricy but that's the UK for you.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5858 on: May 02, 2015, 12:52:44 AM
I heard about that; unfortunately, I need to save up for Fox, Pit, Shulk (all JP re-releases) and Pac-Man.

One day, however, Palutena and ZSS shall be mine. And hopefully the rest of Waves 5 and 6.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5859 on: May 02, 2015, 01:28:16 AM
Play-asia has placeholder pages for the Wave 5 set including Dr. Mario, Bowser Jr and Olimar in addition to the other four.

Also Greninja and Jigglypuff.

The versions on their site are the UK/AUS versions though.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5860 on: May 02, 2015, 08:42:22 PM
Little Mac and Villager reprints in Japan released today.

Villager looks a bit different from the old one, wouldn't you say?

Looks like Marth looks less derped out too in his reprint from the looks of it.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #5861 on: May 10, 2015, 05:06:17 AM
So I caved today and got Lucina off of eBay.  It was, at least, someone who had a PAL figure in-hand so I'm not just rebuying an F-ing pre-order (demand payment in two days for something you know you won't have 'till the end of the month, classy).

That will be the last Smash character I get, at least until they do Mewtwo.  Him and the Yarn Yoshi are the only announced ones I'm really concerned with anymore (though I do still hope they add Daisy to the Mario Party line).

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5862 on: May 11, 2015, 02:10:28 AM
I still have no Lucina, but the other day, I did order a Wii Fit Trainer. One of these days, I hope to own the whole Smash roster.

I'm also hoping that those micro-restocks on Amazon aren't the full extent of Marth's re-issue.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5863 on: May 11, 2015, 02:14:48 AM
Apparently they've just been going up automatically as they get checked into warehouses.

There will be more.

Not that it matters, I already have Marth ordered for June/July.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #5864 on: May 11, 2015, 02:21:31 AM
>great gonzo
>using femrobin

stop using [parasitic bomb]-tier MU male robin master race

I definitely think that they'll reprint the amiibos in the future because of A) their popularity, and B) the fact that their modern releases make significantly heavier use of them. I mean, I'm fairly certain they're making a huge profit off of this.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5865 on: May 11, 2015, 02:42:53 AM
The only ones I'm worried about are the US Store exclusives.

Mostly because of bullshit like Target saying no restocks of Rosalina.

I mean, considering I have all them through imports its not a big deal to me, but I want others to be able to get amiibos at retail price so they don't have to jump through hoops just to obtain characters like Ness and Meta Knight and Greninja (Who I had to order from [tornado fang]ing Australia at $37 USD.) just because there is a dumb exclusivity contract with some in the US.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #5866 on: May 13, 2015, 11:49:38 AM
So... um... Japanese Amiibos work with US versions of the game? Just want to know in case I want to import an Amiibo I can't get otherwise in the US.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5867 on: May 13, 2015, 11:33:36 PM
Amiibos are region-free.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5868 on: May 13, 2015, 11:56:45 PM
They are? Good; 'twas a bit worried about those imports I'm waiting on.

GameStop has been getting Marth, but only about one or two per location so far, and I have no idea why if Nintendo made such a big deal over his re-release. Issues with the US distributors?

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #5869 on: May 14, 2015, 11:46:11 PM
Amiibos are region-free.

Thanks for the clarify! ^_^

By the way which site do you guys recommend to import stuff from Japan? Aside from Play and YesAsia?

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5870 on: May 15, 2015, 02:30:57 PM
Australia and New Zealand are getting in on the whole exclusive amiibo nonsense as well.

However they're so far only getting variations as exclusives, being the Gold and Silver Marios (Gold exclusive to Target, of which there aren't any in New Zealand. Silver is EB Games.)

That's the way it should be done, variants being exclusives, okay. entire characters being exclusives, bad.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5871 on: May 16, 2015, 12:02:33 AM
By the way which site do you guys recommend to import stuff from Japan? Aside from Play and YesAsia?

MyFigureCollection has a list of partners that might be useful. Some JP and PAL listings end up on Amazon US (Amazons UK and Germany ship to the US, I think).

My own question: how long does it generally take orders (with paid shipping) from PlayAsia to arrive in the US? My Fox shipped earlier this morning, which is kinda odd since I thought he was supposed to be re-released in June.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5872 on: May 21, 2015, 06:05:50 AM
Yo, if you want Little Mac, Villager or Capt. Falcon's amiibos, the prices have dropped considerably thanks to the restock.

You can get LM and Villager for ~$25 on Amazon now.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5873 on: May 21, 2015, 06:55:18 AM
Alas, I gotta wait for a while.

In other news, Matt Bozon recently posted this tweet...

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #5874 on: May 21, 2015, 06:05:48 PM
Alas, I gotta wait for a while.

In other news, Matt Bozon recently posted this tweet...
Don't forgot about this (a follow-up tweet). I know somebody is gonna get excited. :3