Super Smash Bros. Thread

Akamaru · 661471

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #5800 on: April 12, 2015, 08:41:50 AM
I managed to beat 9.0 without dying just now. Only took 1 attempt tonight, and it was relatively lax. I was trying a few days ago and just getting dicked over by RNG and/or Master Core. I had a heartbreaker that night where I made a dumb mistake on Master Shadow that left me wide open for a forward smash.

I used Ike with a defense setup that didn't sacrifice attack. I had vampire healer, start with a Home Run Bat, and launch resistance on charging smash attacks. Only special move that really mattered was side B. I went with Close Combat cause it goes through enemies and it's faster. I also used Smash Counter, but that probably didn't make much difference.

I try to never pick a group bigger than three and go for simpler stages. Run away and try to swing on them when they get close. Sometimes I run in with a dash attack with the bat cause the knockback is good. The launch resistance is for if I lose the bat. On the Fighting Mii Team I just spam Aether.

On the hands, it takes about 4 or 5 up smashes to trigger Core to appear. Just gotta watch out if Master Hand gets a quick slap in. The less damage you take on the hands, the better obviously. (On this run I didn't take any.) Giant all I gotta say is learn his patterns. Only move I don't have an answer for is when he bangs his head on the ground. It's random BS.

Beast I think is the hardest part cause he's quick and Ike is laggy. The best thing to do is to take your time on him. Wait for him to attack before you do, and do something quick just in case he attacks again right away. Blades are kinda tough sometimes. Don't be afraid to block attacks, and stay towards the right side so you can roll behind him if he does his rapid slash move. On Shadow, play it lame. Hit and run. He's actually stupid enough to fall for it. I just whittled him down with Close Combat, and if he tried a laggy move I punished him.

Master Fortress' difficulty I think is way overrated. Beast is harder. Ignore the Stalfos, they're not worth going after. Close Combat through them if you need to. Laser flowers die in a couple hits, get rid of them ASAP. Same for Plasma Wisps. If one is gonna fire its full charge shot at you just block it. On the second half, use Close Combat to go over lava pits. It's quick and you'll go through the enemies that wait for you on the other side. The orbs die in a few air hits. Kill everything before attacking an orb. More enemies will spawn after you start attacking them. Ignore them. You should be able to break the orbs before they can hit you.

Overall, the key is persistence. Eventually you will get it.

That was my last challenge, too. I did use all my hammers. I was always gonna use 1 for beating All Star on Hard with everyone. That just wasn't going to happen. I didn't feel like grinding 50,000 blocks in Trophy Rush. With the Home Run Bat setup I probably could've done Crazy Orders as Mario in 20 turns. The other two were getting all moves and 700 trophies, both of which I've almost got anyway.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #5801 on: April 13, 2015, 02:01:43 AM
Grinding blocks was, eh, fun...  Crash Run equipment helps a lot for that.

I still need to do the 9.0 clear without dying myself, and All-Star on Hard with Duck Hunt (*shudder*).  After that I'll likely Hammer the rest.

Home Run Batting through Crazy Orders with Mario is pretty darn easy.  In fact, that was basically how I made money when I needed to gather up 300k (well, Mario and my Daisy Mii fighter).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #5802 on: April 13, 2015, 11:11:44 AM
For Trophy Rush block grinding, I did Palutena's Heavenly Light on co-op. Even then, it's still pretty tedious.

Target pages for Wave 4 and Splatoon have finally popped up.

http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=amiibo&category=0%7CAll%7Cmatchallpartial%7Call+categories&lnk=snav_sbox_amiibo

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #5803 on: April 14, 2015, 03:10:25 AM
Ah, the fresh hell of my missing another Lucina pre-order.  Target, quit the taunting and get it over with.

Inkling Boy/Inkling Girl are official names, huh?  Weird.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #5804 on: April 15, 2015, 10:32:35 AM
Update that adds the DLC shop is out for the 3DS version.

Also the costume bundle is out, listed as bundle #1 so expect more in the future. $6 for one console, $9.20 for both.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #5806 on: April 15, 2015, 07:12:50 PM

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5807 on: April 15, 2015, 11:50:31 PM
I'm always skeptical about any kind of stuff like this.

Unless it is new material, I'm not going to believe Ryu from SF is in Smash. It would be awesome but if all they have is ripped music from an existing SF game, and links that are 404, I'm not going to believe it.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #5808 on: April 16, 2015, 12:02:17 AM
Would be interesting, if true, to have two 3rd party characters from the same comapny. And Ryu would be easy to make moves for too. His B moves would obviously be his four special moves he's had since SF3. I'm more curious about Roy. Would he still be a Marth clone, or are they gonna change him up? And how do you deal with the fact there is a Roy already in the game? How do you differentiate their names?

One change that I am super thrilled about is the Wii U version remembers the last name you used across all modes. That's so convenient.

Other stuff:
-You can now perform smashes by pressing A and B together.
-On Wii U you get Mewtwo's alt trophy immediately. You still have to play Classic and All Star to get the other two.
-Mewtwo is in round 3 of All Star on Wii U and round 5 on 3DS, as one would expect to fit in with the other Gen 1 Pokemon. Makes that stage the only one (so far) with eight opponents.
-Gotta unlock Mewtwo's customs.
-The X and Proto Man costumes are only for Mii Gunners. That's a downer for me cause I only really like the Brawler.
-The Diddy nerfs are real.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5809 on: April 16, 2015, 12:09:37 AM
If Ryu was legit, I would expect his specials (most are easily expected) to go something like this:

UpB: Shouryuken
SideB: Hadouken
DownB: Tatsumakisenpukyaku
B: Focus Attack (acts like a counter but can be charged for a shield breaker / instant dizzy, if hit twice while charging, Ryu is knocked out of it)

Side Smash: Joudan Sokutogeri (SF3 blade kick special) (link)
Up Smash: Crouching Fierce
Down Smash: A Crouching Roundhouse that goes to both sides? This one may be tough to decide on.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5810 on: April 16, 2015, 12:49:45 AM
Apparently the guy who found it is very good at uncovering legit stuff, but I still have my doubts. (Personally, I'd prefer that Simon Belmont or Takamaru got in before Ryu...)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #5811 on: April 16, 2015, 03:08:38 AM
One change that I am super thrilled about is the Wii U version remembers the last name you used across all modes. That's so convenient.
FINALLY.

-The X and Proto Man costumes are only for Mii Gunners. That's a downer for me cause I only really like the Brawler.
Well, their helmets go on any Mii, at least.  But yeah, it's the same deal as the in-game stuff: Clothes are class-specific, headgear is for any.

Loving Mewtwo.  His moves may be the same but the rebalancing does take a little getting used to.

The bad:
-Shadow Ball no longer damages while charging.  Makes Mewtwo less of a giant-killer.
-As far as I've noticed, reverse throw doesn't damage enemies around you anymore.
-Forward air doesn't have as much "oomph" to it, but the range is quite a bit wider.
-Disable is still pretty useless.
-Palutena's Guidance for him is the generic "I have no data on this fighter" that was hacked a while back, so it seems that's all we have to look forward to with other DLC characters.

The good:
-HE WORKS ONLINE, in case anyone was wondering.
-The extra finisher to his standard combo helps a LOT.
-Smash attacks are extremely powerful with solid range, especially the Up Smash.
-Dashing attack is MUCH stronger.
-Forward throw is much more consistent.
-Back and down arials are faster, and down got an extra darkness effect.
-Confusion is DEFINITELY improved.  Faster, easier to work with, and tosses your opponent just long enough to set up a forward Smash if they don't jump/dodge just right.
-Up throw is still as solid as ever.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #5812 on: April 16, 2015, 03:32:38 AM
Could Mewtwo always wall jump? I don't remember him being able to. Also I see Confusion gives him a vertical boost in the air like Mario's cape. Someone showed a video that has some crafty movement options with it. Basically, if you B Stick you can move backwards while using Confusion in the air.

Beat Classic and All Star with him on both consoles. Have yet to get a custom move for him.

Oh, one more thing I don't remember. Could Luigi always crawl in this game? Or did they add that just now?

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5813 on: April 16, 2015, 03:58:08 AM
I think wall jump was a standard action in Brawl. I'm not sure about Melee.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #5814 on: April 16, 2015, 04:13:57 AM
Wall jump was most definitely in Melee.  Young Link's target test required it, if I recall correctly.

I'd need to double-check, but I THINK Mewtwo wall-kicking and Luigi crawling are both nothing new.  On the other hand, I don't do crawls much...

Beat Classic and All Star with him on both consoles. Have yet to get a custom move for him.
Same here.  I'm wondering, did anyone confirm if there ARE custom specials for him or not?  Normally I can get some pretty quick on the WiiU by playing All-Star.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #5815 on: April 16, 2015, 04:54:28 AM
I think wall jump was a standard action in Brawl. I'm not sure about Melee.

It's never been a universal action. Only some characters have it. Additionally some characters, like Lucario and Diddy, can stick to walls for a while.

According to Smash Wiki, Mewtwo's wall jump is new to Smash 4. And Luigi could always crawl since Brawl.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #5816 on: April 16, 2015, 06:45:33 AM
I'm an idiot. The game specifically says Mewtwo doesn't have custom specials. Shame. I would really like a Disable that is useful.

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #5817 on: April 16, 2015, 07:06:21 AM
Through some roundabout Mii sharing shenanigans, you can actually use Mewtwo's customs, but they're all incomplete/buggy so they're not really that interesting:

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/32r6l9/mewtwos_custom_specials_kinda_and_the_return_of/

Also, on the Wii U version, I got locked out from online for doing Mewtwo's 10/100 Multi-Man smash since I did it with every character, and now the servers think I have a corrupted save. Mewtwo not having any custom moves is one thing, but this is unacceptable.

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #5818 on: April 16, 2015, 09:13:16 AM
Oops. Well I'm sure 1.6.1 will come soon enough. They honestly can't leave the selection screen like it is. Putting Mewtwo before the Miis is one thing, but they can't leave these series broken up like this.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #5819 on: April 16, 2015, 11:34:53 PM
They probably will.  Since they already call the "clones" their own category, I fully expect all DLC characters to be lumped together as well.

But yeah, I'm sure we'll be seeing another update real quick to fix the save data issues.  PREFERRABLY before the end of the month when they start asking people who didn't register to actually pay money for Mewtwo.

So, no customs.  Odd.  But that broken time-slowing Down Special glitch is hilarious.

EDITS: Allegedly Mewtwo's save data issues aren't just Multi Man.  Wonder if this is why I was having trouble connecting online last night (it just hanged forever, no error message), because of COURSE I went for his trophies after I was done my initial online romp.
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/04/16/nintendo-is-working-on-a-patch-to-fix-mewtwo-online-issues-in-super-smash-bros/

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5820 on: April 17, 2015, 12:35:38 AM
Does anyone else notice that the people you played with before the patch came out was fine, but are now are lag-fests after the patch? Or is it just me?

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5821 on: April 17, 2015, 12:54:32 AM
Online has always felt laggy to me, ask PB.  8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5822 on: April 17, 2015, 01:58:33 AM

I'VE WAITED SO LONG FOR THIS!!!