Super Smash Bros. Thread

Akamaru · 662284

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #5375 on: November 20, 2014, 08:23:15 PM
As much as I would like to do that for the Sound Track I am not going to drop $60 for something I can't use at the moment.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #5376 on: November 20, 2014, 08:35:12 PM
Well for those who don't want to spend $60 for DLC and don't care about the soundtrack Mewtwo will be available for standalone purchase as well in the future.

I'm calling $5.

Also it appears we've got another Retailer exclusive amiibo, Lucario's gonna be showing the power of aura, but only at Toys R Us. Guess I can skip him since TRU isn't anywhere close.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5377 on: November 20, 2014, 11:33:35 PM
The good thing about these exclusive amiibos, for me, is that I'm pretty sure Nintendo World will still have them all. Otherwise though, what bs!

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5378 on: November 21, 2014, 02:44:18 AM
Its obviously not this way in Japan, its probably just something to appease the people who insist they get some sort of exclusive [parasitic bomb] (Gamestop's [tornado fang]ing terrible with this, as made evident by their commercials touting exclusive DLC or whatever)

My main issue with this is that we've seen that the Amiibo look... off compared to the promotional shots (because Prototypes always look better than Mass production.) and its going to vary between amiibo, so I'd honestly like to see them in person before buying one so I don't get one with a derped eye or messy paint application. Meta Knight and Shulk aren't too big of a deal, because we have a Gamestop and Best Buy in the area (even though I doubt gamestop will stock very many because of their Xbro bias in terms of shelfing.) and Shulk is a character where it'd be easy to [tornado fang] his paint up. But with Lucario stuck at TRU (where the closest one to me is in Woodsbury, MN. Which is about a two hour drive.) I'd have to buy him online (not that I'm particularly going to get all the amiibo anyway.) which would mean no ability to get one that has minimal [tornado fang] ups.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5379 on: November 21, 2014, 06:23:52 AM
GOT IT

YOU KNOW WHERE TO GET MY NETWORK ID

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #5380 on: November 21, 2014, 10:22:53 AM
IS IT POSSIBLE TO LIVESTREAM WII U GAMES?

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #5381 on: November 21, 2014, 03:33:06 PM
I only have two tiny beefs with the game right now:
- The game does not seem to remember my name when going across modes. A minor inconvenience. Perhaps I'm spoiled by the 3DS version remembering that and the color you last used.
- Sometimes when returning to a menu the song skips a bit. It's ugly.

[spoiler]Seems most of the character unlocks are different on Wii U. Wario was the one character I know that unlocked the same way, i.e. 100 Man. Falco may have been too but it's tough to tell. I got him on my second Classic playthrough.

I got Lucina on my first, and not with a FE character. 3 Classics did not get me Dark Pit. He's the only character I haven't unlocked yet. I think I got G&W after 5 Classics.

Everyone else I got from other modes. Stuff like Special Orders and Stadium. I don't believe I got any characters from Events. I did get a few stages from Events though.[/spoiler]

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5382 on: November 22, 2014, 01:28:09 AM
Okay, so once you do the survey for the Wii U version (if you've already done the 3DS one) it'll pop up a screen where you are allowed to order your soundtrack. It's due to ship in March (which is around the time Mewtwo's code will be sent out)

EDIT: Oh come on, no remixes for Sonic? I mean Angel Island but that was in Brawl.

No retry button for Events? The [tornado fang]? Even losing just boots you back to the selection screen. Considering they have events that require you take no damage for an extra reward that means [tornado fang]ing up requires you to go back to the menu and let the entire thing reload. They've had retry buttons since Melee, there's no excuse as to why they chopped it out here.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5383 on: November 22, 2014, 03:02:05 AM
IS IT POSSIBLE TO LIVESTREAM WII U GAMES?

Of course. You'll need a capture card like I use for my console captures.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #5384 on: November 22, 2014, 03:39:50 AM
No retry button for Events? The [tornado fang]? Even losing just boots you back to the selection screen. Considering they have events that require you take no damage for an extra reward that means [tornado fang]ing up requires you to go back to the menu and let the entire thing reload. They've had retry buttons since Melee, there's no excuse as to why they chopped it out here.

Yeah that is pretty inconvenient. Add that to my minor gripe list.

The Events themselves, though, I'm really impressed with. They're pretty creative, and the extra reward goals add some new life into them. I have just short of 40 done so far.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5385 on: November 22, 2014, 03:48:30 AM
Okay, first impressions:

LOTS O' MUSIC, holy cow.

Graphics are FAN-[tornado fang]ing-TASTIC.

8 Player fights are interesting but they suffer from the same issue Smash 3DS has (Losing track of whereever the [tornado fang] you are.)

Despite Lots of Music, lots of stuff recycled from Brawl (and Melee), most of the re-used stages don't even have new tracks (So far).

Events... well, no Retry button is annoying (Because I really want to take those snapshots) and some of them seem to have an aspect of Luck to them (One event has you playing as a miniature pikachu against larger pikachus, you have to grab Lightning to shrink them to your size but the item has the chance to make the big pikachus even larger and only two of them fall in the time frame allowed for the extra reward.) and some can be downright frustrating (An event where you play as Jigglypuff and have to put Bowser Jr., Ness and Toon Link to sleep, wouldn't be so bad if they didn't put it on the Gamer stage, because the stage hazard there will wake them up if they're caught in it and it gets annoying quick.) I don't know, maybe they'll get less frustrating as they go on.

I really love the Trophy box thing, it plays on my desire to complete sets of stuff.

Really odd how they require an SD card for snapshots, nothing else on the Wii U uses an SD card from my recollection other than Wii Mode.

Nothing past Megaman 6 for Music? I get that Megaman's based of his NES style gameplay but that doesn't mean his musical flavor has to be stuck there too (His custom moves aren't, after all) Hell 4-6 just kind of get mashed into one medley while 1-3 all get their own, that's sort of lame.

Want the Duck Hunt Stage? Gotta kill a guy in Cruel Smash, there's more of them this time too. But they seem to be less ruthless than they were in the 3DS version. EDIT: Nevermind, one of the challenges is survive for a minute as luigi and they just are incredibly dickish. I have like three Miis on the Wii U so they're all a bunch of generics and holy cow are they some ugly [tornado fang]ing souless puppets. Wouldn't be so hard if it weren't for the Gunners. Those guys are the biggest dicks because all they ever do is side-smash.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #5386 on: November 22, 2014, 04:55:31 AM
An event where you play as Jigglypuff and have to put Bowser Jr., Ness and Toon Link to sleep, wouldn't be so bad if they didn't put it on the Gamer stage, because the stage hazard there will wake them up if they're caught in it and it gets annoying quick.

Yeah, that one was tough, especially that the reward unlock is from hard mode. I felt the stage hazard wasn't an issue, though. It was more about actually landing Sing.

Nevermind, one of the challenges is survive for a minute as luigi and they just are incredibly dickish. I have like three Miis on the Wii U so they're all a bunch of generics and holy cow are they some ugly [tornado fang]ing souless puppets. Wouldn't be so hard if it weren't for the Gunners. Those guys are the biggest dicks because all they ever do is side-smash.

I saw that challenge on the list pretty early. I was able to do it, but it took me a long time. My strategy was to use Luigi Cyclone near the edges if they came close. It takes a lot of luck. Gotta hope the gunners aren't in range. They are indeed the worst. I managed to get kills during that by sometimes Cycloning them off the edge and they were facing the wrong way. I did this so early Duck Hunt was my second unlock.

Smashboards seems to have nailed down the character unlocks.
- Wario is still 100 Man Smash
- Falco seems to be just beating Classic. Not sure if you can continue or not.
- Lucina is for beating Master Core, who I believe starts appearing on 5.5
- Game & Watch is beating Classic with 5 characters above 2.0. I can confirm this.
- Duck Hunt was mentioned.
- Dr. Mario is from beating a Master Order on Hard or higher. I can also confirm that; I got him from either Very Hard or Intense, don't remember which.
- ROB is from clearing Crazy Orders after 8 turns. The wording seems vague. Not sure if that means Crazy Hand can be the 8th turn or what. I did get him, but after 10 turns, which is one of the Challenges.
- Dark Pit is beating All Star on Normal or Hard, which I think is kinda silly. I'd rather just play the complete All Star. Every All Star related challenge requires it be complete anyway. If I had known about this I woulda got this outta the way immediately so there were fewer characters and it would be quicker. Disregard that. I thought each character you unlocked was added to All Star when you got them. Turns out no one is added until you get all the characters.

There are only 6 stages to unlock. Three come from events. Kongo Jungle 64 is from the very first event, and Smashville and Pokemon Stadium 2 are later on. The Duck Hunt stage comes with the character, I believe. For Flat Zone X you need to break 100 blocks in Trophy Rush as G&W. And Pac-Land, you have to play all three Smash Tour boards.

Pac-Land looks like an incredibly shitty stage. I wouldn't call Smash Tour bad just yet, but the payoff for slogging through the boards doesn't help. At least Pac-Land doesn't have nearly as many walls and ceilings as Mushroomy Kingdom.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5387 on: November 22, 2014, 05:25:49 AM
I actually lost against Duck Hunt the first time so I unlocked the stage but not the character. He was my first unlock.
Falco was my second.

Anyway, the game flung me into an 8-character Free-for-All on classic.

On Duck Hunt, not really a good stage for it considering its a small stage, I notice the game has some framerate problems when paused in 8-player mode. And the characters are flattened like they are in Flat Zone.

So in addition to being able to obtain duplicates of things where duplicates are completely and utterly worthless (Mii Outfits, Custom Moves, etc.) I've heard CD's have the same issue now?

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5388 on: November 22, 2014, 10:43:41 AM
Time Limits on Smash Tour turns.

Screw indecisiveness, right Nintendo?

EDIT: There's a Globox trophy to go with Rayman. I didn't think they were doing more than just Rayman.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5389 on: November 22, 2014, 05:16:57 PM
got mah SMASH

looking forward to settle all of life's problems in Smash with you all!!! :D

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5390 on: November 22, 2014, 05:38:10 PM
Hah, some of these Events are infuriating. But its satisfying to finish them.

The one with Wii Fit Trainer where you have to beat two larger Warios (And clear it on Hard in 45 seconds for the bonus reward) is frustrating but I managed it in 3 seconds thanks to some luck.

EDIT: It took some frustration (and a lot of retries, seriously, Retry Button, it'd make those events with character selects go faster) but I got all the Solo Events done with the Reward requirements. Are there any things for the Co-Op events (I imagine they'll be unbeatable with one controller, unlike Brawl)?

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #5391 on: November 22, 2014, 10:08:52 PM
>receives Smash 3DS
>hyped for some online RPM matches
>everyone is now playing Wii U version instead

Oh... okay...

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5392 on: November 23, 2014, 07:08:23 AM
Don't feel bad. I was never playing online anyway.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5393 on: November 24, 2014, 08:58:29 PM
Aura Mastery is the devil's spiky, evil [ray splasher].

That is all!  B(

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #5394 on: November 24, 2014, 08:59:19 PM
Aura Mastery is the devil's spiky, evil [ray splasher].

That is all!  B(
Wh-what? o-O

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5395 on: November 25, 2014, 12:37:37 AM
Ugh.

I'm really not feeling the difficulty here.

I mean, maybe its because I suck [parasitic bomb] at the game but I feel as if the game has some sort of nasty adaptive AI, where I can get through the first match or two of All-Star on Hard with no problems because the AI just lets me win and then the third completely wrecks me, and then when I go to try again the same tactic I used last time doesn't work because now the AI just dodges/shields all the [tornado fang]ing time (Everybody is Shulk apparently, except for Shulk) or cherrytaps me when I'm trying to attack (As Ike, so large windups) and then just gang up and pummel me to death. They anticipate people waiting at the edge of a stage to kill them, air dodge constantly or wait until they get to the point where their final jump will get them perfectly on the ledge without any trouble. I try to adapt but the game doesn't give me the opportunity (I'll try to dodge or shield only to be anticipated by one of the other AIs and get attacked the second I get out of the invincibility frames, or I get shoved off the stage.) I think they were trying to make it feel like I was fighting real opponents and honestly I don't like it. If I wanted to fight real people I'd play online, I just want to not have to be completely in the dark as to how the AI is going to act in a particular match (sometimes they're dumb and die easily, other times they avoid almost all of my attacks and shield and dodge a whole lot and its frustrating which leads to me [tornado fang]ing up.)

Also, [tornado fang] being unable to break whatever boxes I want in the challenge mode! Brawl did that too and that was stupid, and then in the PAL version they made it so you could break whatever ones you wanted. Maybe I want to break that 9.0 without losing a stock one because I'm not savvy to perfect run [parasitic bomb] at all, but nope gotta break that one the legit way.

Also Smash Tour, its stupid. Lots of challenges revolve around it, and its a lot of random events, one challenge revolves around letting a Metroid steal stat boosts and getting them back, only problem is the Metroid moves when the other characters move so if you have everybody move one at a time (sort of the only way to do it if you're doing a 4player run by yourself to get rid of the [Bumpity-Boom!] AI) the metroid can run into somebody else and trigger them getting your stat boosts. The spinner is [parasitic bomb] too, I either have incredibly bad timing or poor luck but I have severe difficulty getting any higher than 1s or 2s, sort of screws the ability to get checkpoint bonuses when I need 5 or 6 to get to a checkpoint from the previous one. You can set the amount of turns before you start but its set so its minimum is 15 and the max is 25. Maybe its more fun with others but considering its not playable online, its essentially worthless to me. At least Smash Run, with its issues included, was also a satisfying single-player experience in addition to it being fun for multiplayer.

I may sound like I'm complaining a lot, but 4 is considerably harder than Brawl ever was and even when brawl was hard (Boss Battles on Intense) you could at least work through it with practice because the boss order was randomized (save for Tabuu, but you could always face him in the great maze whenever) and they had defined patterns and didn't mix up their AI that much (save for speed of attacks and strength that increased the farther you went in). All Star was the same deal save for the randomization but here it feels like you won't know how the game will act, will they be super aggressive, ultra defensive/dodgy, or passive and easy? It doesn't matter what the difficulty is, I feel its more of a randomizer than it is anything concrete, because there's plenty of matches that gave me more trouble on normal in Event mode than other matches did on Hard.

tl;dr, game's hard, lots of questionable design choices, strange AI, Smash tour is garbage with 1 player. Frustration ahoy.

Wh-what? o-O

You remember that event in Melee, Slippy's Invention? Where Fox and Falco are invisible on the Venom stage and you can only see them with slight glints of light, but you got to choose your character?

Same thing here, except replace Fox and Falco with Sheik and Wii Fit Trainer (Sheik I get, stealth and such, but WFT?), replace choose character with Lucario only (at 200% damage because of Aura), and replace Venom with Pokemon Stadium 2, aka a stage with a lot of bright spots where the little glints of light from the invisibility are too hard to see.
Its great fun (its not), I beat it after like 3 tries, WFT's no problem but Sheik's new special is [tornado fang]ing annoying because explosions are bad for people with lots of damage.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5396 on: November 25, 2014, 01:29:03 AM
It's a [sonic slicer] on hard!

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5397 on: November 25, 2014, 02:08:26 AM
It's a [sonic slicer] on hard!

Don't you only have to beat it on normal (under a time limit of course) to unlock the reward?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5398 on: November 25, 2014, 02:55:24 AM
Don't you only have to beat it on normal (under a time limit of course) to unlock the reward?

Yeah, but I want to beat all of them on hard!

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #5399 on: November 25, 2014, 04:23:49 AM
I thought that one did require Hard. I also managed that one in 3 tries, somehow.