Akamaru · 661585

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #4575 on: June 12, 2014, 07:27:57 AM
Mewtwo has renewed relevance now, too.  It wouldn't make sense to exclude him.

And this would give them a chance to retool him completely.  Yes, his controls were wonky as hell, but once I got used to them, I was downright deadly with Mewtwo.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #4576 on: June 12, 2014, 08:31:28 AM

And this would give them a chance to retool him completely.  Yes, his controls were wonky as hell, but once I got used to them, I was downright deadly with Mewtwo.

Because he was the Mega Evolution promotional whore?

So were Charizard and Lucario. His appearance in X&Y was basically a "Here look its the guy we've been whoring out in the promotional stuff why don't you catch him."

Again though, I still can't see them bringing in any more Pokemon reps. There are plenty. We've got the series mascot, the creator's pet, a fan favorite recently divorced from his compatriots, an advertisement for the newest games, and the resident joke.

Getting away from the dead horse topic, I'm a bit more surprised Meta Knight hasn't been brought up at all.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #4577 on: June 12, 2014, 08:44:57 AM
They must be working real hard to tone him down since he's God tier and all.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4578 on: June 12, 2014, 08:57:44 AM
So I got the chance to play this at Best Buy today, both versions.

3DS version, I picked MERGERMERN because why not. Chose the Reset Bomb Forest stage to check it out. His moveset threw me off at first since I'm used to A being more physical attacks like punching and kicking and B being for specials, but his are spread amongst the two. For instance, Down+B is Leaf Shield while Down+A (in the air) is Hard Knuckle. Anyways, it was fun and I pulled off his Final Smash twice. It looks beautiful in 3D and Black Hole Bomb has a lot of reach. Also, after the Reset Bomb hits the stage (around a minute into the match) the field changes completely and almost all platforms are destructible, so it's quite chaotic as your foothold may not last for long. I only got to play one match (and one match on Wii U) but what I did play was beautiful.

As for the Wii U version, I chose Kirby and forced everyone else to let me pick Wily Castle to see Yellow Devil. The stage is basic, of course, but once Yellow Devil shows up it makes sense. Whereas in other stages the assorted platforms and stuff can trip you up, it's Yellow Devil who messes you up on this stage. He's incredibly damaging, especially when he's moving across the stage like he always does (I think it's the same pattern each time, which is also the pattern in MM1 so props for that attention to detail). It's very hard to dodge him. Anyways, Kirby plays the same as always. I wasn't able to get a Final Smash to check out dat Ultra Sword, but I did manage to eat someone who was playing as Little Mac. And Kirby gets Mac's hair and eyebrows (which is funny cause Mac's hair almost looks like a pompadour when on Kirby's body). It was super adorably fabulous.

Oh and someone got Midna as the Assist Trophy and she is supertough. Easily threw me out of the opposite corner of the stage from where she was.

Anyways, though I didn't get much playtime (especially after waiting in line for four hours) what I did play made me sure that these are gonna be as top-notch as ever. And they also felt like a nice mix between Melee and Brawl.

Oh and one of Mega Man's color options is the ol' red and grey. If only he had a scarf too...

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #4579 on: June 12, 2014, 09:24:25 AM
My closest Best Buy is in York. :\

And while I was in York yesterday, I was out in Leader Heights, which is nowhere near Best Buy.  Not even potential walking distance.  No buses, either.  You want to get out toward Market Street?  You drive.  You have no car?  Tough [parasitic bomb].  No Smash Fest for you.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4580 on: June 12, 2014, 09:42:38 AM
oh by the way, even the way Mega Man jumps feels like how it works on NES so that's cool

and if you activate the final smash in midair you can still jump afterwards cause you're stuck in place while the attack occurs. second time i activated his final smash i was over a bottomless pit but i recovered thanks to that jump after the animation.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4581 on: June 12, 2014, 08:48:42 PM
Just played both versions at Nintendo World and I'm..... I'm so happy. MEGA MAN IS GOOOOOOD.

Haha well I like using him anyway. Took a bit to get use to the Wii U pro controller but I got the hang of it. His smashes are good. ESPECIALLY THE MEGA UPPER. HOLY [parasitic bomb] IT'S STRONG. I also caught someone with his Final Smash. OMG I LOVES IT.  8D

So yeah, got to try him twice,  then Little Mac then Zelda. Yeaaah Mac is strong but he has NO get back ability. Seems balanced this far. Zelda... can't tell yet. So far she seems the same, cept for the down B, which I love.

Four matches....AND PB IS THUS FAR UNDEFEATED IN BITCHSLAP!!! CAN I GET A HELL YEAH?   8)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #4582 on: June 13, 2014, 03:45:52 AM
Yeah I don't see him coming back either, his playstyle wasn't exactly the most popular with people.
That's exactly why me, Quickie, and the two other people who DID play him frequently want him in so badly.  We've got something to prove. >_<

:cookie:

Because he was the Mega Evolution promotional whore?

So were Charizard and Lucario. His appearance in X&Y was basically a "Here look its the guy we've been whoring out in the promotional stuff why don't you catch him."
You speak as if that ISN'T the reason Lucario was in Brawl.

I very much doubt that they'll ditch Jigglypuff since she's one of the originals, but if they did, I wouldn't be too sad.  And I'll give credit where it's due: Greninja's reveal may have been a [tornado fang]ing tease, but as a character, Greninja is a solid contender that doesn't seem to be the result of some predetermined marketing scheme, so there's that.

My closest Best Buy is in York. :\
Yeah, there is *A* Best Buy near my work but it's not participating, and the nearest one is in the completely opposite direction. >_< I'm gonna be missing out, sadly.  This weekend being both Father's Day AND my wife's B-Day, there's no way in hell I'm sneaking out on Saturday.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4583 on: June 13, 2014, 04:04:50 AM
You speak as if that ISN'T the reason Lucario was in Brawl.
To promote Gen IV? Except DPPt had been out before Brawl. Gen V was on the horizon when Brawl hit the scene.

They put Lucario in because Lucario is Gamefreak's Lightning. Why else has Lucario been a posterchild for Mega Evolution, been a prominent pokemon alongside Cynthia in both Gen IV AND V, and basically handed to you in Gen VI?

That's really the only reason why. Probably also the why Rosalina has been getting shoved into every goddamn Mario spin-off ever since Galaxy.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #4584 on: June 13, 2014, 04:17:35 AM
Yeah they really got all the bases covered here in terms of Pokemon, Pikachu, a new Pokemon to promote the Gen and 2 in terms of getting Mega Evolutions.  Otherwise it'd be pretty saturated with Pokemon when Jigglypuff gets in, and some feel it's already saturated, not that I blame them. 

I still want [tornado fang]ing Tails, come on Smash please grant me that and maybe Dixie.  I want my flying whip characters!

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #4585 on: June 13, 2014, 04:25:36 AM
To promote Gen IV? Except DPPt had been out before Brawl. Gen V was on the horizon when Brawl hit the scene.
...seeings how Mega Evolution has been out well before Smash4, I'm not seeing the difference.

Lucario was the poster child for GenIV well before GenIV actually happened, both in terms of movies and his presence in spinoff games like Mystery Dungeon.  Brawl felt like merely an extension of Lucario being treated as a marketing tactic.

As for Rosalina, I can only chalk that up to developer favoritism.  I wouldn't even call it marketing since it's not as if she's the main draw of any of the games she appears in; in fact before 3D World I'd have called her an underdog.  But between that and Smash, yeah, feels like they're just hell-bent on making her the next biggest thing after Peach.  After that, the baby form in MK8 was all but inevitable.

...and I REALLY hate to see myself saying that, since my fav princess by far is Daisy, but it's really impossible to not notice.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4587 on: June 13, 2014, 12:46:41 PM
Yeah that Clueless Gamer is hilarious. >0<

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4588 on: June 13, 2014, 01:06:26 PM
SHUT YO MOUTH

Rosalina is the bestest Mario princess evar. Cant get enough.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4589 on: June 13, 2014, 03:27:34 PM
Yeah going to agree there Rosalina has quickly become a favorite Mario character for me, I have no issues seeing more of her in Nintendo games.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #4590 on: June 14, 2014, 04:42:38 AM
Never said Rosalina is a bad character, she isn't.  It just stinks that as Nintendo pushes her, they keep shafting Daisy in the process.

Rosalina never did this.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4591 on: June 14, 2014, 07:35:24 AM
If you don't mind off-screen footage, here's a look at Smash Run.

Super Smash Bros. 3DS - Smash Run - E3 2014

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4592 on: June 14, 2014, 02:56:02 PM
Daisy is a boring palette swap. Rosalina actually has a life of her own. And a magic wand. And a little star buddy. And rules over SPACE. Take that terrestrial princesses.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4593 on: June 14, 2014, 09:13:13 PM
Daisy is a boring palette swap. Rosalina actually has a life of her own. And a magic wand. And a little star buddy. And rules over SPACE. Take that terrestrial princesses.

Daisy's the sportiest one.
Plus she has a crazy person voice.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4594 on: June 14, 2014, 10:58:44 PM
Daisy sounds like the type of person to murder you in your sleep after dumping her.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4595 on: June 14, 2014, 11:01:29 PM
Daisy's the sportiest one.
Plus she has a crazy person voice.

HI I'M DAISY.

I like Daisy's crazy voice.  XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4596 on: June 15, 2014, 12:43:22 AM
"YAY CAR!!!" -MK7 Daisy

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #4597 on: June 15, 2014, 06:24:30 AM
HI I'M DAISY.

I like Daisy's crazy voice.  XD
:cookie:
Of course, that's the whole point. 8)

Neither Peach nor Rosalina are particularly energetic unless a game's premise forces them to be.  Otherwise they're both your typical subdued prim-and-proper royal character types.  Daisy, on the other hand, is batshit crazy simply because it's who she is.  She'll dress the part of a princess, and she probably does enjoy it, but it doesn't define her.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #4598 on: June 16, 2014, 06:10:02 AM
Concerning the Wii U box art, anyone notice Wii Fit Trainer's art is exactly the same the character art on character select and the website? Whereas everyone else has original artwork. It could mean she's just there as a placeholder for another character they haven't revealed yet. I believe a similar thing happened with Super Street Fighter IV.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4599 on: June 16, 2014, 06:26:26 AM
Somehow I doubt they'd show as much on her character, including Final Smash, moveset, Kirby form, ability to play as male Wii Fit Trainer and everything else, just to toss her in the trash and leave her completely unused because she was actually just there to hide an actual character. Sakurai's a troll, but not that much of a troll.