Super Smash Bros. Thread

Akamaru · 661685

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3575 on: May 24, 2013, 09:36:48 PM
Slightly off topic: As much as I really don't like the WiiU and have zero reason to get one for the most part, Star Tropics U might completely change my mind. That would be a system seller. That is, provided they don't screw it up like they always love to do with forced motion/subscreen bullshit. ie. forced waggle in Donkey Kong Country Returns for a function that use to be tied to a button. I wouldn't mind a controller screened inventory though.

Smash Bros wise, and back to the titled topic, I am somewhat excited to see what they have coming. However, since Brawl, I don't think Smash Bros is the system seller for me anymore. They really regressed a bunch of stuff since Melee, and took no care to make sure the game was usable in a true competitive sense. As a competitive fighter player, this detracts from my interest in the game. If they give you the option to turn off all the luck/random based factors that influence the winner's outcome, then sure. You can play with all your items and random [parasitic bomb], just as long as I can play without them. But this time they left some in the game that could not be turned off.

Although, now they're embracing a networked console, so patches could be applied where as with the Wii and before, it could not be. This could lead to rebalancing patches, or post launch consumer demand for additional options, tweaks, and so forth.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3576 on: May 24, 2013, 09:44:18 PM
What sense is there in buying a system for one game?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #3577 on: May 26, 2013, 07:28:10 AM
Startropics U would be awesome.  Could be their next Kid Icarus Uprising; may not be the definitive blockbusting system-seller, but it would most definitely keep the hardcore Nintendo fans happy.

Mario...look, I like Wart, but he has nothing on Bowser.  Still, if Triclyde comes with him, it'd be pretty tough for me to argue.

Zelda sounds like they're just telling us what we want to hear, coupled with a believable release date.  I mean, really, if Nintendo was going to start building a game off of that tech demo's style I would think they'd have made it a point to let the world know quickly, seeings how that video really WAS the biggest "wow" factor of the otherwise sketchy system reveal way back when.

Mario Kart's prediction makes very little sense to me; outside of Double Dash the premise of all of them is pretty much the same, and with retro courses being a known phenomenon for quite some time, what makes a game "just a souped up MK7"?  Gliders and propellers returning?  I wouldn't complain about that.

Price/Ambassador stuff I expect to be on hold until MS and Sony announce their system's price points.  Moreso Sony, unless Microsoft's E3 is the complete and polar opposite of their craptacular system reveal.  If they are going to hit the 500-600 dollar area then I don't think Nintendo has much to fear.

Now, back to the topic title, the Bitchslap rumors...

Smash Bros. always seems to have at least one "out of nowhere" character pop up with each entry, so I actually don't consider Tharja that far-fetched.  The whole "replace Ike with Chrom" thing is a little too predictable, and Sakurai certainly likes to throw his curveballs.  However, even assuming the desire for a new magic-based character to round out the cast, I do find it surprising that they wouldn't go with My Unit and/or Morgan.  Mewtwo is similarly predictable, but in this case the marketing opportunity coincides with a pre-existing popular demand, so I think it actually will happen.  I just REALLY hope his normal form is an alternate (similar to overalls Wario in Brawl), or there will be heck to pay.

I'm not one for "balance" discussions and I don't really give a damn about the competitive community.  Much less so in an online game because I hate dealing with random schmucks who ALWAYS PICK THE SAME GODDAMN STAGE.  However, I will say this:  Bowser.  Tripping.  They both suck.  Fix them.  And while you're at it, try to make fireballs not dissipate three feet in front of you.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #3578 on: May 26, 2013, 07:31:56 AM
Yeah, if there's one thing that needs to go from the transition from Brawl to Smash 4, its Tripping.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3579 on: May 26, 2013, 09:36:27 AM
Jigglypuff's Rest needs a fixin' as well!

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3580 on: May 26, 2013, 06:28:28 PM
I want Ristar, dammit!

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3581 on: May 26, 2013, 09:10:05 PM
What sense is there in buying a system for one game?

When, to the person in question, that one game is worth the price of the console and retail release price combined.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #3582 on: May 26, 2013, 09:34:31 PM
I remember getting Mega Man X8 before I had a PS2. Then got a PS2.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #3583 on: May 26, 2013, 11:22:34 PM
Where's the love for Marina Liteyears (Mischief Makers)? O^O

I want Ristar, dammit!
Such fond memories when I played this on Sonic Mega Collection (GC). :3

Excuse me sir, may I sleep next to you for a second?
Where did you g--oh...

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #3584 on: June 01, 2013, 09:14:30 AM
I figure, just like I did with Brawl, I'll throw out some WMGing and make some predictions about the "Calamity" cast.

First I'll look over the rumors from here. Most of it I can see coming true. Little Mac is practically guaranteed. I'm not too familiar with Takamaru, but I'd buy that. K. Rool I can see happening, though the implication of a redesign raises an eyebrow. I can totally get behind Ridley. Ghirahim makes a lot of sense. I personally think Bayonetta still has the best chance out of any Platinum character. New Yoshi character I can't say. I have no idea what Dillon's Rolling Western is, so I dunno about that happening. The only other one I'm kinda hesitant about is Shulk. I mean it would be a good gesture to Operation Rainfall's efforts, and Xenoblade is getting a sequel of sorts, but this I'm just not as quick to accept.

Now to the more recent rumors. Mewtwo's new forme I can understand, but I can't see that being the ONLY form of Mewtwo. I think Mewtwo will be able to switch formes somehow, whether it be a new B move or Final Smash. Palutena I totally believe. She's way more prominent in KIU than Magnus is, and Smash needs way more chicks. Tharja I can understand, but I have no idea what the character plays like. As for Pac Man, that's the only one that sounds pure bullshit to me.

Okay, now for just my own brainstorming:
- If the Startropics revival rumor is true, I could see Mike Jones making it. But as of right now, I think that's way too good of news to be true.
- If any new Mario character were to appear, I'd say it would be Bowser Jr., and his Final Smash would have to be the Koopa Klown Kar.
- Maybe a Wario Ware character will make it.
- Obviously Link, Zelda, and Sheik are going to get designs from Skyward Sword. Dunno what they'll do about Ganondorf though. No chance of Toon Zelda/Sheik happening.
- I think Krystal has an okay shot of being included. Certainly more than any other Starfox character.
- I would say Zoroark would be a no brainer, but what with X and Y coming out, I imagine Gen V won't get that much attention as VI. Unless if they want to be nice and include Pokemon from both generations. But then that does mean we're missing reps from II and III, and I highly doubt Pichu's coming back.
- A Sin & Punishment representative makes a lot of sense. The Star Successor characters might have the advantage with their jetpacks, but I can see Saki making it because of recognizability.
- Depending on what Tharja plays like, perhaps they won't get rid of Ike. Of Brawl's 35 characters, Ike is the only one that has that chance of being removed. I can't see Roy coming back.
- Golden Sun's odds aren't too great, but I could still see Issac making it.
- Honestly, I don't think a joke character like Monita is too farfetched.
- Suda 51 wants Travis Touchdown in, and I think it could happen.
- Of the many possibilities for a Bandai Namco character to make it in, it's not gonna be Pac Man. It's gonna be a Tales character, most probably Lloyd.
- I never understood the Bomberman rumors. He hasn't been that relevant for a very long time. Same reason as Pac Man. But what with Hudson being absorbed into Konami, I can't imagine there being another Konami property other than Metal Gear. It's their only property that's doing well anyway.
- Speaking of not doing well, no Mega Man unless he's a last minute addition in response to some huge comeback in 2014. But I feel stupid for even thinking that could happen. I don't think anything Capcom will be in Calamity.
- The only thing Square Enix that has a snowball's chance of making it is Geno. But even so, I think SE's too stingy.

Based on all that, I see the total number of characters being around 50, which I think is not too crazy, but not conservative either.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #3585 on: June 02, 2013, 02:53:55 AM
I have no idea what Dillon's Rolling Western is, so I dunno about that happening.
One of those eShop games that people who claim "Nintendo doesn't make new IPs" are required to ignore.  I haven't played it though, so I don't know how good it is.

Tharja I can understand, but I have no idea what the character plays like.
Dark Mage.  And not that there's any doubt of this, but her outfit with a free camera is something that can only be done with a "T" rating.

- If any new Mario character were to appear, I'd say it would be Bowser Jr., and his Final Smash would have to be the Koopa Klown Kar.
Meh, I'm still hoping for Daisy.  Probably won't happen, but a guy can dream.

- Obviously Link, Zelda, and Sheik are going to get designs from Skyward Sword. Dunno what they'll do about Ganondorf though. No chance of Toon Zelda/Sheik happening.
I'd imagine they would apply brighter colors to his Twilight Princess design; that or go back to OoT seeings how it was recently remade.

- Speaking of not doing well, no Mega Man unless he's a last minute addition in response to some huge comeback in 2014. But I feel stupid for even thinking that could happen. I don't think anything Capcom will be in Calamity.
I'm not so sure of that.  It's not the name that Capcom hates, it's the concept of making a new game.  They do a *LOT* of Mega Man merchandising both in and out of Japan, and they're more than happy to pimp him out for crossovers.  Not saying it will happen, I'm just saying that if it did, I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

- The only thing Square Enix that has a snowball's chance of making it is Geno. But even so, I think SE's too stingy.
Geno was in Superstar Saga, so there's no reason they couldn't sign off on him again.  That being said, I could imagine SE pushing for a different character if they wanted to hype an upcoming game.

Based on all that, I see the total number of characters being around 50, which I think is not too crazy, but not conservative either.
Bear in mind that the next Smash is actually two games.  I would wholly expect a large cast, the bigger question is whether certain characters will be specific to one system.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Ahrzayl

• Crisis Strawberry
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Super Psycho Sweety
    • View Profile
Reply #3586 on: June 02, 2013, 03:37:53 AM
Who says I'd need rest to win? ;3c

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #3587 on: June 11, 2013, 04:42:54 PM
Well those rumors were proven wrong. Nothing came from them. But that doesn't matter cause I've already been proven wrong. Mega Man made it.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #3588 on: June 11, 2013, 04:52:46 PM

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3589 on: June 11, 2013, 05:12:44 PM
And guess what else? Little Mac is clearly confirmed as well, judging by the stage in that picture!  8D 8D

SO HAPPY!  0v0

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #3590 on: June 11, 2013, 05:20:44 PM

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3591 on: June 11, 2013, 09:12:14 PM
So this appeared on Nintendo's Facebook.

Three new Smash Bros. characters were revealed in the Nintendo Software Showcase at E3. Mega-Man, The Villager (Animal Crossing) and the Wii Fit Trainer join the roster in the new Smash Bros.!

Wii Fit Trainer? What?

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3592 on: June 11, 2013, 09:15:06 PM
So this appeared on Nintendo's Facebook.

Wii Fit Trainer? What?

Do they mean the trainer in the middle?

She'll stretch your limbs... TO DEATH

Offline Ahrzayl

• Crisis Strawberry
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Super Psycho Sweety
    • View Profile
Reply #3593 on: June 11, 2013, 09:18:05 PM
All I'm going to say to that one is -u-'

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3594 on: June 11, 2013, 09:21:11 PM
Do they mean the trainer in the middle?

Yes.

Though its probably a joke.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #3595 on: June 11, 2013, 09:21:47 PM
Yes.

Though its probably a joke.

Uhhh...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yQB8cJTCgrI[/youtube]

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #3596 on: June 11, 2013, 09:25:14 PM
oh god that video is fantastic

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3597 on: June 11, 2013, 09:26:00 PM
Pfft, I love when they put characters that are more for comedy than anything else in.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3598 on: June 11, 2013, 09:26:46 PM
She'll be the fanservice of this game instead of Samus and Snake's butt.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3599 on: June 11, 2013, 09:33:20 PM
Fanservice for the people who like creepy pale things.

Anyway, Samus looks to be Other M Samus, so that means Zero Suit Samus won't be as hot anyway.

Though I can't imagine the cast will be any different than Brawl, maybe Wolf or Snake get cut but I can't see it being that much different.