• RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #50 on: June 17, 2010, 08:25:29 PM
I update the first post with Mario Kart 3DS~ ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: June 17, 2010, 08:27:42 PM
I hope that when you drive through the castle, you get to jump into a painting.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #52 on: June 17, 2010, 08:29:20 PM
BopBop-Bop-BopBop-Bop!

Mexico~! (Let's-a Go~!) XD

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: June 17, 2010, 08:30:35 PM
I wanna jump right into Bob-Omb Battlefield.  XD

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #54 on: June 18, 2010, 03:29:59 AM
1. We have seen no bikes.
2. We have seen no snaking.
3. We love it.

TAKE NOTES, NINTENDO.

Seriously, Wii had an awesome character selection and a great online setup (besides TIMING YOUR MENUS BEFORE YOU EVEN JOINED A DAMN MATCH), but in terms of item selection, AI, and bump physics, it was a total bust.  And wheelie boosts, no matter how cool they sound, are simply wrong.

I hope that when you drive through the castle, you get to jump into a painting.
Who DOESN'T hope for that? 8)

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: June 18, 2010, 03:32:22 AM
2. We have seen no snaking.
3. We love it.

TAKE NOTES, NINTENDO.

Seriously, Wii had an awesome character selection and a great online setup (besides TIMING YOUR MENUS BEFORE YOU EVEN JOINED A DAMN MATCH), but in terms of item selection, AI, and bump physics, it was a total bust.  And wheelie boosts, no matter how cool they sound, are simply wrong.

They also need to revamp the weapons too.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: June 18, 2010, 03:38:30 AM
I believe I said "item selection", didn't I?

Speaking of "weapons", though, there is one thing beyond the pure gameplay of it all.  Presentation-wise, every game since Double Dash has failed on the same point: Shell impacts.  Nintendo, if you want to get serious about the next Mario Kart, I DAMN WELL expect to hear something akin to a frikkin' cannon going off whenever I am hit with a shell, along with my character spinning/flying wildly through the air in the fastest most completely disorienting way possible.  THAT, my friends, is how you do Mario Kart, and it's what made the SNES/N64 games so damn awesome.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: June 18, 2010, 03:43:59 AM
Not just item selection, but item strength as well.  Like you just said, the shells use to hurt, and now they do nothing.  The Red Shell was gimped beyond belief, as was the lightning, etc.  But, I'm convinced that's not going to happen.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: June 18, 2010, 04:16:38 AM
Okay, I'll just take some time to put my two cents in here.

My main gripe with Mario Kart Wii is:
  • TOO MANY [tornado fang]ing ITEMS. If I see any more new items, I'm not going to consider buying the 3DS for the next Mario Kart title. Get rid of some items, or, if not, at least enhance the quality of the items. *glares at Fake Item Box*
  • IMPROVE THE GODDAMNED AI. Seriously, the 150cc AI in Mario Kart Wii is always clustered in one spot. And it hurls a million [tornado fang]ing items at you at a time.
  • Inconsistent stats. Look at the stats for all karts and bikes in Mario Kart Wii, and you'll know what I'm talking about.
  • Another vehicle category (namely bikes of another kind). Seriously, why are the drift types in all the bikes in Mario Kart Wii unevenly distributed?
  • Missing characters: E. Gadd, Toadsworth, Petey Pirahna, Dixie Kong, the Paratroopa, and the Hammer Bro.
  • And finally, off-topic: Toadette needs to make an appearance OUTSIDE of Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc.

That is all.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Dantonumanoa Ongdolota Amycronicon

• Unwholesome, unsavory and unintelligible
  • Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: June 18, 2010, 04:20:16 AM
  • TOO MANY [tornado fang]ing ITEMS. If I see any more new items, I'm not going to consider buying the 3DS for the next Mario Kart title. Get rid of some items, or, if not, at least enhance the quality of the items. *glares at Fake Item Box*
Why is that a bad thing?
I will admit, though, that the items we currently have need to be improved first. Bananas and fake item boxes, anyone?

I put on my [twin slasher] face.

I also go by Spectro D., Idylleaus, Malabar, and Dumb-bit Twofuck.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: June 18, 2010, 05:33:58 AM
    TOO MANY [tornado fang]ing ITEMS. If I see any more new items, I'm not going to consider buying the 3DS for the next Mario Kart title. Get rid of some items, or, if not, at least enhance the quality of the items. *glares at Fake Item Box*[/li]
    [/list]

Actually, the Fake Item Box was improved, IMO.  In previous games, it use to act like a shield, just like banana peels & dragging shells.  With all the incredible unbalanced item issues, it's actually good that it can't do that anymore.  What they need to do is put the items back to MK64 standards.

Sadly, they're not going to though.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
      • View Profile
    Reply #61 on: June 18, 2010, 05:59:56 AM

How am I suppose to have Wario and his awesome hog then? Pass on this game.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
    Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
    Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
    Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
    • Searching for Wanda
      • View Profile
    Reply #62 on: June 18, 2010, 06:04:19 AM
    Again, I don't feel that bikes are the problem, as much as item balancing.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
    • Legendary Hero
    • Steel in Zee Head
      • View Profile
    Reply #63 on: June 18, 2010, 09:35:58 PM
    Try playing NDS Delfino Plaza or NDS Yoshi Valley with a kart on wi-fi.  The earlier especially is rather shamelessly spammed (though thankfully not as badly as Final Destination in Brawl).

• Missing characters: E. Gadd, Toadsworth, Petey Pirahna, Dixie Kong, the Paratroopa, and the Hammer Bro.
    Okay, I need to draw the line here.  Mario Kart Wii blew all kinds of chunks, and even though I would *NEVER* argue with a Hammer Bro., I can't fathom criticizing the cast selection.  Dry Bowser ALONE outweighs most any suggestions that come to mind, nevermind the insane cuteness that is Baby Daisy.

• And finally, off-topic: Toadette needs to make an appearance OUTSIDE of Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc.
    Well, there is DDR Mario Mix.  I'd have appreciated an NSMB appearance myself, but oh well.

Seriously, though, the Blue/Yellow Toad stunt was not only cheap but was also completely unnecessary.  They could have just had "the" Toad and Toadette, with Toadsworth playing the support role.  And what the heck would be wrong with that?

Actually, the Fake Item Box was improved, IMO.  In previous games, it use to act like a shield, just like banana peels & dragging shells.  With all the incredible unbalanced item issues, it's actually good that it can't do that anymore.
    I know for a fact there were previous games where the fake item did not function as a shield.  You COULD drag it behind you to nail somebody on your tail, but you couldn't block other items with it.

Why is that a bad thing?
    I will admit, though, that the items we currently have need to be improved first. Bananas and fake item boxes, anyone?
    As I see it the main issue with items as they currently stand is that there are too many "hit everybody" things (lightning, blooper, and POW), coupled with items which specifically target the leaders (cloud, blue shell), and 12 racers meaning more crap is always flying around.  It basically means that if you're any good at racing you WILL get the kitchen sink thrown at you, at all times.

What made this even worse in Wii, though, was the bump physics.  Running into a stopped kart typically causes you yourself to lose speed and direction, unless you're a heavyweight.  Not so in Wii, which means that every time you're struck by an item, EVERYBODY is free to knock you off the track.  And that's how we get 1st-to-9th drops.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
    • Searching for Wanda
      • View Profile
    Reply #64 on: June 18, 2010, 09:51:36 PM
    Try playing NDS Delfino Plaza or NDS Yoshi Valley with a kart on wi-fi.  The earlier especially is rather shamelessly spammed (though thankfully not as badly as Final Destination in Brawl).

My point is that if the items were as fantastic and powerful as they were in MK64, the bikes wouldn't have the chance to get that far ahead.  Granted, I agree that once you get 3 or 4 specific bikes, there's no reason to use any other kart/bike in the game.

I know for a fact there were previous games where the fake item did not function as a shield.  You COULD drag it behind you to nail somebody on your tail, but you couldn't block other items with it.

I know you could in MK64, and I pretty much base MK perfection on that.  I think you could in DS, but I'd have to play it again to be sure.  No idea on DD though, cause I didn't play it much.

As I see it the main issue with items as they currently stand is that there are too many "hit everybody" things (lightning, blooper, and POW), coupled with items which specifically target the leaders (cloud, blue shell), and 12 racers meaning more crap is always flying around.  It basically means that if you're any good at racing you WILL get the kitchen sink thrown at you, at all times.

That's not the only problem.  The problem is also that certain places get certain items.  This was my main problem with the Double Dash and onward games.  They made a system where 2nd place has literally a 5% chance of catching up with 1st place without the help of the 5th-8th (now 12th) place racers.  In MK64, 2nd place still had a viable chance to catch up to 1st place (cept maybe on Rainbow Road), because they would still give 2nd place the stronger items, not to mention 1st place didn't have an unfair blocking advantage, with the 3 Banana Peels, Item Box, Shells, etc.  Plus, again items were stronger in the previous MK64 & SNES games.  Lightning affected everyone equally and one could be squished.  Now there's no squishy, plus 6th place shrinkage does not last as long as 1st place, which is stupid.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
    • Neo Arcadian
      • View Profile
    Reply #65 on: June 18, 2010, 09:57:45 PM
    Lightning affected everyone equally and one could be squished.  Now there's no squishy, plus 6th place shrinkage does not last as long as 1st place, which is stupid.
    THIS. VERY THIS. Also, didn't they add the Mega Mushroom to make up for the lack of being able to flatten your opponents?

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
    • Searching for Wanda
      • View Profile
    Reply #66 on: June 18, 2010, 10:00:14 PM
    THIS. VERY THIS. Also, didn't they add the Mega Mushroom to make up for the lack of being able to flatten your opponents?

They did, but it still doesn't make it okay.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
    • Legendary Hero
    • Steel in Zee Head
      • View Profile
    Reply #67 on: June 18, 2010, 10:15:09 PM
    I have to agree.  Mega Mushroom is nice, but lightning shrinkage should always allow flattening.

More and more I'm seeing the point of your item gimping discussions.  The time that any given item takes away from you has been largely scaled back.  Thus shrinking is no longer permissible as it'd be overpowered, and knocking someone off the track *IS* very overpowered.

This was my main problem with the Double Dash and onward games.  They made a system where 2nd place has literally a 5% chance of catching up with 1st place without the help of the 5th-8th (now 12th) place racers.
    In Double Dash, I hadn't noticed, probably because of my constant use of Yoshi (eggs are basically red shells that spawn items, and they're plenty available in 2nd).  In DS there is the slightest chance in hell of getting something good in 2nd, but nevertheless I believe your point stands.  99% of the time, you get crap.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
    • Searching for Wanda
      • View Profile
    Reply #68 on: June 18, 2010, 10:25:26 PM
    One thing I forgot to mention, that ABSOLUTELY has to go as well, besides Cloud AIDS.  That is losing items.  This was also brought in with Double Dash, and I. HATE. IT.  Not only are items now gimped, as well as placement of items being stupid (I.E. Cloud AIDS as a 2nd or 3rd place item), but on that rare, RARE occasion you actually do get something decent in that place, you can LOSE IT.  It's absolutely [tornado fang]ing absurd.  Even with how powerful the items were in MK64, you never lost your items when you got shrunk by lightning, thus once again making it fair.  Yeah, you could run someone over and squish them, but you still ran the risk of getting hit by shells, or slipping on a banana peel, or getting fake item box'd.  Again, losing items is another aspect of Post 64 MK that ruins the game, as it gets rid of item strategy, plus further makes a system where 5th - 8th/12th place determine how the race is going to wind up.  In my opinion, the ONLY item that should be able to knock items off of players would be the POW block. 

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
    • Legendary Hero
    • Steel in Zee Head
      • View Profile
    Reply #69 on: June 18, 2010, 10:29:36 PM
    Frankly I don't think the POW block even belongs in Mario Kart...

I'd go with the Starman for knocking items off.  You're invincible, supreme, and you attack only one player at a time.  If that mechanic is to be preserved it should be limited there.  Item knock-off should *NEVER* be a blanket effect.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
    • Searching for Wanda
      • View Profile
    Reply #70 on: June 18, 2010, 10:49:12 PM
    There are quite a few items I don't think belong in Mario Kart, and some I think need to be brought back. 

Items to get rid off:
    Cloud AIDS (in it's current form)
    Blooper
    Bullet Bill
    3 Banana Peel
    Spiny Shell

Items to be brought back:
    Feather
    Ghost
    5 Banana Peel
    Spike Shell

Cloud AIDS wouldn't be all that term if you could actually control it's activation, or drop it behind you for someone else to hit. Also, just like regular shrinkage, you should be able to be squished. Bullet Bill needs to go, because again it's only useful for 11th - 12th place, thus making it unfair.  The 3 Banana Peel system needs to be replaced with the 5 Banana Peel system, because when the 5 Banana Peels got hit, they ALL dropped, not just one.  This way, it makes the defense fair.  The Spiny Shell has to be the MK64 Spike Shell again, because it can screw over more people than 1st place, thus making it fair.  The fact that the Ghost was removed sickens me, so bring it back.  Also, the feather was awesome, and again needs to be back again.  Now, for some items I'd like to see...

New Items I might add:
    SMB2 Potion
    SMB3 Raccoon Leaf
    Metal Block
    Ice Flower

-The SMB2 Potion would be thrown in front of you and a door would open, warping you ahead of other players.  The door would remain open just long enough for other racers to enter it as well. 
    -The Raccoon Leaf would give players the Raccoon Tail, which would allow players to sideswipe their opponents by spinning next to them. 
    -The Metal Block would make the player Metal & invincible, but would weigh the Kart down.  To activate it over a jump would be costly.  This item could be dropped behind you.
    -The Ice Flower would give you the ability to freeze opponents in front of you or behind you.

These are just some ways I can think of to improve the game.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
    • Legendary Hero
    • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
      • View Profile
      • Mirby Studios
    Reply #71 on: June 18, 2010, 10:53:06 PM
    These are all very good points. The original and MK64 were excellent (as was Super Circuit, in my opinion), but the items have been weakened, and some of them are cool but not really useful. Personally, the Blooper never screwed me up in the slightest, in DS nor in Wii. As for Lightning, it should regain it's former glory. And the bump mechanics sucked in Wii; I hated that the most.

Yeah, I agree on all counts here.

Especially with the post PB just made while I was making this. I think the main reason the Blooper was added was to compensate for the increasing suckiness of mechanics. It's useful in Wii, but only because you regularly get unfairly dropped to 7th or below. Which means you might get back. But that situation should never come up. There should be no need for an item to counterbalance poor mechanics. They should fix the mechanics.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
    Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
    • Neo Arcadian
      • View Profile
    Reply #72 on: June 18, 2010, 10:59:23 PM
    Items to be brought back:
    Feather
    If you want the Feather back, then more tracks with huge, gaping holes in them would be required, no?

Also: The "loss of items from other items" [parasitic bomb] pisses me off too.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
    • Searching for Wanda
      • View Profile
    Reply #73 on: June 18, 2010, 11:00:32 PM
    If you want the Feather back, then more tracks with huge, gaping holes in them would be required, no?

Totally.  Make some parts of the track accessible only with the feather, just like how some parts are only accessible with the boost and such.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
    • Legendary Hero
    • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
      • View Profile
      • Mirby Studios
    Reply #74 on: June 18, 2010, 11:00:37 PM
    That Yoshi stage in DD has one.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
    Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything