The Mario Kart Thread

VixyNyan · 86358

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #100 on: June 21, 2010, 11:42:55 PM
Well in 64, the levels were so huge that 3 tracks could take a while.  However, I can agree that you should be able to set laps to as high as 5 or as low as 1 when racing against friends.  Again, options are never a bad thing.

Offline Dantonumanoa Ongdolota Amycronicon

• Unwholesome, unsavory and unintelligible
  • Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #101 on: June 21, 2010, 11:46:19 PM
Speaking of options, I'd like for there to be an option where I can set the number of players, CPU or otherwise, in a race or battle (hell, in a battle, I'd like to have different players on each team just so I can have a challenge).

Also, is it me or is the AI in Wii ass retarded?

I put on my [twin slasher] face.

I also go by Spectro D., Idylleaus, Malabar, and Dumb-bit Twofuck.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #102 on: June 21, 2010, 11:47:32 PM
Customization is the name of the game! Tailor the match to your liking with tracks, kart handling modes, items, laps, whatever you need! It would be awesome!

And it would breathe new life into the series, too!

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #103 on: June 22, 2010, 12:09:34 AM
Also, is it me or is the AI in Wii ass retarded?
I believe that was discussed already, and that pretty much everybody in this thread agreed on that point.

Also: New engine class anyone?

SAMPLE TEXT

• Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #104 on: June 22, 2010, 12:20:49 AM
Also: New engine class anyone?
Why? I think Driving Miss Daisy cc, Off-Peak Driving cc, and Street Drag cc are enough. Must there be a Ludicrous cc?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #105 on: June 22, 2010, 12:42:22 AM
I'm reminded of some MKDS Action Replay codes.  I'll go ahead and say yes, but I don't imagine anyone in their right mind would consider it fair.  My kind of adrenaline rush, naturally. 8)

One other thing Double Dash did right: BOB-OMB BATTLES!!!  Seriously, that was INGENIOUS.  Bring it back.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #106 on: June 22, 2010, 02:17:53 AM
Well in 64, the levels were so huge that 3 tracks could take a while.  However, I can agree that you should be able to set laps to as high as 5 or as low as 1 when racing against friends.  Again, options are never a bad thing.

That's another thing, bring back the larger and greater distance levels! I miss having to work for that 1st on long stretches of awesome level. In the newer games, it just feels like matches begin and end all too suddenly. I was happy when MKWii brought back wider courses, but what's the point if they're only accommodating more people for the same amount of time? On the subject of level design though, I long for a Mario Kart that takes a cue or two from Sonic R where players have one standard route or map with a few well placed shortcuts or alternate routes they can take. The longer the shortcut, the harder it would be to access them, catch on to them or skillfully maneuver through them.

As for engine classes, I'm game for a 200/250cc class. Mario Kart being crazy fast? Yes please! XD

• Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #107 on: June 22, 2010, 02:47:40 AM
As for engine classes, I'm game for a 200/250cc class. Mario Kart being crazy fast? Yes please! XD
If it were a "250cc Rainy Day/Slippery When Wet" class, I'd so totally play it.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #108 on: June 22, 2010, 02:55:12 AM
You know what else I miss? The ability to brake and save yourself after hitting a banana or slippery terrain.  I loved how the little musical note would appear when you pulled it off too.  Wonder why they dropped it after 64 and SC; it shouldn't be the end of the world if you happen to hit a banana.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #109 on: June 22, 2010, 05:36:40 AM
It was a good defense mechanism, like how doing a trick saved you from the full effect of the POW Block. It is curious as to why they removed that mechanism, especially now that the computer is pretty aggressive to pretty unfair.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #110 on: June 22, 2010, 05:38:13 AM
You know what else I miss? The ability to brake and save yourself after hitting a banana or slippery terrain.  I loved how the little musical note would appear when you pulled it off too.  Wonder why they dropped it after 64 and SC; it shouldn't be the end of the world if you happen to hit a banana.

It was a good defense mechanism, like how doing a trick saved you from the full effect of the POW Block. It is curious as to why they removed that mechanism, especially now that the computer is pretty aggressive to pretty unfair.

To answer both of your questions, it's pretty clear why they did.  I think it's because they gimped the weapon so much that it didn't really matter.  Compare how much it slows you down in MK64 as oppose to afterwards.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #111 on: June 22, 2010, 06:25:52 AM
I think it's because they gimped the weapon so much that it didn't really matter.  Compare how much it slows you down in MK64 as oppose to afterwards.

Good point.  While it's true that the Banana didn't have the same earth-shattering effect that getting hit with a shell did in 64, it still did quite a number.  And when you consider the fact that the game's balanced enough for anyone to pose a threat...yeah.

It still seems odd to me how they've gimped and buffed items over the years.  One thing I love about MK64 is that you couldn't just toss Red Shells around like a maniac; since they didn't follow the path of the course, you actually had to aim them to a certain degree, which really balanced things out.  With the new mechanics, you simply just hit the attack button an let 'er rip, which is honestly more effective but has a tendency to short out the usefulness of the other weapons.  Instead of re-balancing that, Nintendo just adds more and more overbearing items that continue to push once useful items like bananas and fake item boxes to the rear.

More recent Mario Kart titles feel less like a race to the finish line and more like a race to see who can screw over the person in 1st place the most.  X(

My YouTube Channel

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #112 on: June 22, 2010, 06:27:36 AM
It's why Mario Kart 64 is superior to all.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #113 on: June 22, 2010, 06:57:56 AM
Speaking of MK64's superiority, there SO needs to be another track like Yoshi's Valley, but this time improved so that there's more than one path worth following.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #114 on: June 22, 2010, 07:03:37 AM
Yeah, the world needs much more Yoshi Valley!

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #115 on: June 22, 2010, 07:35:15 AM
Heh, the best part was the fact that you couldn't see who was in what place; you pretty much had to find the best route through and pray that you were right.

My YouTube Channel

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #116 on: June 22, 2010, 07:39:14 AM
Also, I think the music has also really fallen from the previous series as well.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #117 on: June 22, 2010, 10:11:04 AM
It's because they use similar synths and that whistling sound a lot. Compare Mario Kart 64, which had a good variety of different styles (Toad's Turnpike, Frappe Snowland, Koopa Troopa Beach, Bowser's Castle, Rainbow Road)

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #118 on: June 22, 2010, 04:11:25 PM
It's because they use similar synths and that whistling sound a lot. Compare Mario Kart 64, which had a good variety of different styles (Toad's Turnpike, Frappe Snowland, Koopa Troopa Beach, Bowser's Castle, Rainbow Road)

I think you picked the absolute best compositions from Mario Kart 64 in this post. Other games series (forget kart racers for a second) would kill for the composition quality of these tracks. (Sidenote, I'm a hopeless Toad's Turnpike fanboy. XD)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #119 on: June 22, 2010, 04:22:15 PM
That's just it though.  EVERY track in MK64 was gold.  Pure, sexy gold.  I mean, the regular circuit is just pure awesome.  Although, I'm the first to admit that no Battle Mode track has ever topped the original SNES one.

Offline DarkWaltz

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Magic bananas!
    • View Profile
    • DarkWaltz's DeviantArt Page
Reply #120 on: June 22, 2010, 04:26:16 PM
I may be crazy to say this, but I'd like to see a hidden cup unlocked once you get Expert mode, containing the previous Rainbow Road tracks. (64's most definately, it is that epic) But I'm an RR fan.

I do enjoy the MKWii game, except that the 150cc and Mirror, everybody at the back seems to get a hold of the blue shell every time they hit an item box. I don't mind challenges and fighting to keep 1st place, but that's just a little ridiculous when that shell is constantly flying after you, and there's very little you can do about it.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #121 on: June 22, 2010, 04:37:13 PM
I may be crazy to say this, but I'd like to see a hidden cup unlocked once you get Expert mode, containing the previous Rainbow Road tracks. (64's most definately, it is that epic) But I'm an RR fan.

My dear DW, I assure you that you are not only in your wish for a Rainbow Cup of sorts.   8)

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #122 on: June 22, 2010, 06:46:58 PM
Whatever happens in the next Mario Kart, Rainbow Road better be as dramatically long as the N64 variant (it's the champion's raceway after all, give me some challenge) and as creative as Rolling Coaster Galaxy from Galaxy 2. Also, I kinda want to dissect another annoying mechanic in the latter MK games. I hate when you get bumped off the level and you get this fade to black transition when there's clearly land under you. Some of the most fun you could get from MK64 was smashing someone over a railing on levels like Toad's Turnpike or Rainbow Road only to smack them into the outer oblivion, or if they're REALLY unlucky, to an earlier section of the course. I understand the transition is to prevent whole scale level skips like that classic jump in N64 Rainbow Road, but man, sometimes fixing the small things can ruin/damper the cool unexpected things.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #123 on: June 22, 2010, 06:50:49 PM
Oh Jelly, it's easily yet another thing that makes MK64 that much more superior.  The ability to completely [tornado fang] over your opponent on a Wario Stadium type jump is precisely what the new games are missing.  That's what made the previous games so great.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #124 on: June 22, 2010, 07:32:49 PM
@Jeri

THIS,THIS,THIS! I absolutely hate thatn both in the newer Karts and in Galaxy. Sure, it lead to shortcuts that were most likely unintended, but they were damn awesome and some had a big risk/reward like Rainbow road, sure, you'd skip most of the track, but if you fail everyone will be half a lap ahead of you already.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.