Where does "The Legend of Zelda" series stand in terms of pop culture?

HyperSonicEXE · 2511

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=3306

Now, we'd all probably be wise in chalking the results of this year's "Final Fantasy VII-Powered GameFAQs Poll of Populism" as dorkiness in its purest and possibly crystallized form, but the current winner-so-far brings up a good question. With Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass both seeing only room-temperature sales compared to other DS and Wii must-haves, where does the LoZ series stand when so many people seem to love it and know it?

Is it forever fated to be a singluar piece of nostalgia, due to its fantasy medieval setting and trademark past games? And possibly its linear progression?
Could the series take off and surpass its contemporary IPs if the gameplay formula ever hits the direct bullseye (whether it needs to be changed up or not is arguable)?
Or is it just another Nintendo property, like many perceive Starfox and Metroid to be (certainly when compared to Mario)?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Wait wat? TP & PH got lukewarm sales? Isn't TP like the second bestselling Zelda of all time & PH the second coming of the Japanese Zelda gamers in terms of sales?

As for your second paragraph of questions, I think it's a mix of the first and second question. People want to see change within the series but at the same time too radical a change will only scare away the veterans rooted in the series' mythos and legacy. There really isn't any more to be said there. I'm very confident however in this series' ablility to deliver though, so I'll be very optimistic for Zelda Wii.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Wait wat? TP & PH got lukewarm sales? Isn't TP like the second bestselling Zelda of all time & PH the second coming of the Japanese Zelda gamers in terms of sales?

As for your second paragraph of questions, I think it's a mix of the first and second question. People want to see change within the series but at the same time too radical a change will only scare away the veterans rooted in the series' mythos and legacy. There really isn't any more to be said there. I'm very confident however in this series' ablility to deliver though, so I'll be very optimistic for Zelda Wii.

Still below expectations, though. But then maybe Nintendo was overshooting, or comparing it to the Mario games.

And yeah, I buy that. Kinda like what's wrong with Sonic, LoZ needs something to keep it intriguing beyond "Defeat Ganon" and oh yeah, here's a few sidequests.
Now what that would be, who knows. MM thought it was mini-games, WW thought it was fetchquests, MinishCap thought it was interaction, PH thought it was time constraints, the Oracle games had their mechanics...

Who knows.

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
next stepp would be making Zelda an Action-RPG

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
next stepp would be making Zelda an Action-RPG

Don't know if want.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Don't know if want.

You already have it.

Technically. Sure, you never see all the numbers behind the combat, and there isn't a Lv. 1-100 system for Link nor does his power build as gradually,

But it does take however many hits to defeat an enemy (which changes with your upgraded equipment), there have been MP Gauges of sorts (the Magic Meter), and making it an Action-RPG with your choosing how Link really acts and affects the people and settings around you along with challenges based on Levels or limiting equipment would give it all the replay value of the more popular Action RPGs.