So a new Wii update is out...

Solar · 7342

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
on: November 18, 2008, 04:03:36 PM
And it kills the Twilight Hack...again. However, that is not the worst part, read the new terms of service and see for your self:

We may without notifying you, download updates, patches, upgrades and similar software to your Wii Console and may disable unauthorized or illegal software placed on your Wii Console to ensure that your Wii Console is operating properly and efficiently, comply with applicable laws, assist law enforcement, protect us and our customers, or prevent the use and distribution of software obtained through improper channels.

I only want to play imports Nintendo, why won't you let me do that ;_;

And what do you get for letting Ninendo do stuff to your Wii without your consent? Here's the list:

-Improved parental controls
-USB keyboard support for the Mii channel (wtf?)
-Improved system functions (not specified)
-Finally changes the system's version to 3.4 >_>

So yeah, no thanks Nintendo, I want my Tatsunoko VS Capcom >_>

Source

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Zx

• You're already dead
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Come and fight!"
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 04:06:53 PM
So, is better not to have any updates? >.>

"Di Mant de Vongole Primo!"

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 04:27:41 PM
It's been mentioned however that one of the various system upgrades in this update is a faster copying of VC games & channels to and from the SD Memory Card. It's also been confirmed that the Homebrew Channel can still be used on the Wii if it was installed prior to the update.

Also, auto updates are confirmed for the Wii from this upgrade forward, meaning they're getting serious about the hacking, pirating, and sadly, the importers. (TATSUNOKO, NOOOOO!)

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 04:31:49 PM
Yeah, this is just unfair, and it doesn't matter that it doesn't kill the HBC, the problem is that when they can, they will do it without you knowing it or agreeing to it.

It's been mentioned however that one of the various system upgrades in this update is a faster copying of VC games & channels to and from the SD Memory Card.

I've actually been reading mixed reports about that, some say it does speed the transfer while others say that it's still the same.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 04:39:32 PM
Unfair? You have no idea. It's not fair that I saw one of the newer gameplay videos for TatsuCap after being on media blackout for sooo long, then realize that "OH [parasitic bomb]" someone updated my console last night. :'(

Also, complete update details from wiibrew.org:

System Menu 3.4
As of November 17, 2008, Nintendo is sending notices to the Wii Message Board announcing the availability of Wii Menu 3.4. The announcement lists these changes:
- USB keyboard support in Mii Channel
- Enhanced parental controls
- Twilight Hack version 0.1beta1 cannot be copied to the console.

Two other changes have been noted:
- Improved SD card read/write speed
- Improved disc reading
- Update appears to include IOS50 (used by menu) and IOS254 (a copy of IOS9, to block PatchMii).

What is affected
Affected/Workaround
Twilight Hack 0.1beta1 and below /None (yet)
PatchMii/None (yet, but should be easy)

Not affected
The Homebrew Channel (only if already installed)

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 04:41:48 PM
ah well, it happens.  I'm sorry for the people that this effects negatively but I don't really blame nintendo.  Though them doing things to my wii without me knowing is kinda scary o.o;

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 04:43:39 PM
good thing is there will always be someone to provide the people with the custom IOS and my wii is still on 3.2

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 04:45:22 PM
Unfair? You have no idea. It's not fair that I saw one of the newer gameplay videos for TatsuCap after being on media blackout for sooo long, then realize that "OH [parasitic bomb]" someone updated my console last night. :'(

"Oh [parasitic bomb]" sounds like the perfect reaction...When the unevitable workaround for the Twilight Hack is released, install the HBC ASAP then, I'm sure you don't want to miss TvC. Sadly the next step would probably be turning off the WiiConnect24 unless this is all just a bluff.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 04:50:27 PM
(whistle)

...You know, this could all be solved by never enabling WiiConnect 24, right?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 04:51:06 PM
I did, but sadly, letting other people know how to use the Wii was my greatest downfall.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 05:45:20 PM
Fortunately, the only hacking I *might* have done is just so the Wii can play DVDs.

Even then, the fan doesn't run when you do so, and I've got plenty of other DVD playing devices.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 06:51:48 PM
I don't hack my Wii so this doesn't affect me in anyway, but I do feel sorry for the people it does. I know some the people with hacked Wiis in real life. :'(

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 08:13:35 PM
Nice to see Nintendo reverting back to its old 1980s draconian self. The whole notion of stealth updates is complete B.S. In theory, they now have all right to shoot in a patch, should they see fit, that will time-restrict VC and Wii Ware games, a la other DRM protected formats. Will this happen remains to be seen. All I'm saying is they now have this power.

Offline The Blind Archer

• Self-proclaimed jack-of-all-trades of art in training
  • Robot Master
  • I use localised names
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem New Dawn
Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 08:31:47 PM
I don't hack, so this update doesn't bother me in the slightest.  I prefer to limit my piracy to ROMs and emulators, anyway.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 08:44:29 PM
Nice to see Nintendo reverting back to its old 1980s draconian self. The whole notion of stealth updates is complete B.S. In theory, they now have all right to shoot in a patch, should they see fit, that will time-restrict VC and Wii Ware games, a la other DRM protected formats. Will this happen remains to be seen. All I'm saying is they now have this power.

HOLY. [parasitic bomb].

Yamaguchi's will returns in full force. Damn if this new implication isn't something though... *goes to read up more on it*

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 08:46:21 PM

So, by this logic....Now They're Playing With Power?   8D

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 08:48:45 PM
someone really needs to figure out a way to port rockman 9 to pc.

Save the tatas..................................................................................................please?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 08:50:56 PM
Seconded

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 08:56:42 PM
Like I said, I wouldn't worry about it too much right now. It'll become more of an issue when they decide to begin phasing out the Wii. It's still a definite possibility at this point, though it's also very likely people would sue the hell out of Nintendo with class-action justice.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 08:57:07 PM
So, by this logic....Now They're Playing With Power?   8D

No, now they're playing with Super Power 8D

I'd rather get a Japanese Wii anyway. I'm not too big into Homebrew stuff, even if it can be good, but I do want to play some Japanese only Wii games (like the new Capcom fighting game, Disaster, and there's a new Hitman Reborn, Naruto, and Bleach game coming out soon as well).

What's worse is how they're also doing it with the DSi. They've broken the tradition of having region-free hand-helds and now the DSi can only play region-specific DSi games (luckily Japanese games for the DS and not the DSi can still be played on US DSi systems, who knows how long that'll last though ><).

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 09:02:24 PM
The whole buying a Japanese system though isn't feasible if you're only getting it for one game. It's like buying PS3 just for Metal Gear Solid 4... which I know many of us, myself included, are guilty of. It's a fine idea if you plan to regularly import stuff, otherwise.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 09:07:00 PM
The whole buying a Japanese system though isn't feasible if you're only getting it for one game. It's like buying PS3 just for Metal Gear Solid 4... which I know many of us, myself included, are guilty of. It's a fine idea if you plan to regularly import stuff, otherwise.

Something I do plan to do. those are just 5 off the top of my head that I listed. If Sin and Punishment 2 doesn't reach the US, I can import it and play it that way, along with any others I can think of.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 09:08:39 PM
But Sin and Punishment has been comfirmed to have an NA version since the day after it was announced.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 09:23:50 PM
But Sin and Punishment has been comfirmed to have an NA version since the day after it was announced.

*shrugs* still, there are japanese only games on the Wii I want to play, and if they don't show up in the US I can play them.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 11:12:22 PM
... This can be very unfair to those that can't afford "Big Hits" (Major games that have a rediculous price tag, such as First Party games) or have a chance to import them, I feel kinda bad. (Day of N is coming)

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.