GENERAL COMIC BOOK THREAD (MANGA NOT ALLOWED)

Rin · 207452

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #1225 on: December 09, 2014, 11:00:06 PM
I am trying to get into the Apocalypse saga of the XMen but I have no idea where to start.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #1226 on: December 10, 2014, 05:33:32 AM
There is a four volume omnibus of the event, so go look on Amazon.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1227 on: February 27, 2015, 02:14:42 AM
Just dropping this here and the other 2 threads this concerns because Quickie said I should.

http://i.imgur.com/t85MKw7.jpg

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1228 on: February 27, 2015, 03:29:52 AM
AMATERASU

SOLD

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1229 on: February 27, 2015, 03:33:03 AM
Honestly the only thing missing is Ulala, because anything can use a big dose of funkiness, especially something this huge. I mean yeah we got Joe for glorious ham, but seriously some funk would be useful.

I'm surprised that the Panzer Dragoon series, of all things, is there from the look of it.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1230 on: June 07, 2015, 09:54:34 AM
Gettin my Starlin swag on, as I picked up Thanos: The Infinity Relativity this week. I'm glad to see more Adam Warlock, no one else can write him or Thanos any better, especially not even Hickman's Thanos.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1231 on: June 12, 2015, 07:45:08 AM
so what are the thoughts on this current Jim Gordon Robatcop and Depowered identity outed Superman?

also, green gambit Hal Jordan

this all tickles my 90's bone in all the right ways

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1232 on: June 12, 2015, 10:21:05 AM
I haven't gotten the Batman issue yet...

GL was more more MORE than welcome, especially after all that Convergence crap I didn't bother with.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1233 on: July 01, 2015, 09:24:33 AM
Some of the #1 covers for All-New All-ExpensiveDifferent Marvel leaked.

http://imgur.com/a/FOJ0Y - click at your own discretion, I guess. Depends if you care on who survives Secret Wars.

But, Miles book aaaaaaaaaaaaah

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1234 on: June 17, 2016, 07:16:15 AM
So... any thoughts on DC Rebirth thus far? Things look very promising so far, but financial constraints will keep me from picking up many books. Though I think Green Lanterns looks promising so far, I hesitate to pick it up and I do not think I will pick up Hal Jordan and The Green Lantern Corps after the Rebirth issue. The Superman titles look interesting now the the pre-Flashpoint Supes is back in the cape.

I can hardly wait until Super-Sons to see what trouble Damian and John will get into. Still waiting for announcements on Atom and Legion of Super-Heroes.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1235 on: June 17, 2016, 08:08:58 AM
Has Moore said anything about that DCU Rebirth #1 yet?

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1236 on: June 17, 2016, 08:44:12 AM
So... any thoughts on DC Rebirth thus far? Things look very promising so far, but financial constraints will keep me from picking up many books. Though I think Green Lanterns looks promising so far, I hesitate to pick it up and I do not think I will pick up Hal Jordan and The Green Lantern Corps after the Rebirth issue. The Superman titles look interesting now the the pre-Flashpoint Supes is back in the cape.

I can hardly wait until Super-Sons to see what trouble Damian and John will get into. Still waiting for announcements on Atom and Legion of Super-Heroes.

I still have to illegally download the comics onto my tablet get the issues, cause I'm definitely interested.

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1237 on: June 18, 2016, 09:38:57 PM
Has Moore said anything about that DCU Rebirth #1 yet?

Not to my knowledge, and I think he does not even care anymore since it has been thirty years and DC has made it clear that they will keep Watchmen in publication.

I still have to illegally download the comics onto my tablet get the issues, cause I'm definitely interested.

Download? :O

Since everyone and their grandmother knows because of the leak that happened before its release, what are your thoughts on the pre-Flashpoint Wally West returning? I personally love it (though I am not that crazy about Dr. Manhattan being the implied antagonist), but that has not stopped some people from slagging DC Rebirth. I guess you cannot please some people no matter what they do.

Personally, I think Johns was a bit heavy-handed with the "hope vs. cynicism" theme. While I suppose that one could argue that Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns inaugurated the Dark Age of Comics, I believe that it is an oversimplification. Watchmen (and DKR, albeit to a lesser degree) was an incredibly dense and layered read that truly read like a novel and I believe that the antiheroes that followed Rorschach's example were one-dimensional copies. No, I believe that it was Crisis on Infinite Earths, or rather, the immediate aftermath where DC essentially repudiated its own rich history for a short-term sales bump. Something I call the "Deconstuction Age" (1986-94) because the dismantling of the pre-Crisis multiverse and editorial inconsistency led to DC creating a Frankenstein-like monster by trying to force certain pieces to fit together.

The most egregious examples are the Legion of Super-Heroes, where then-writer, Paul Levitz had to create a stopgap measures to explain how "Superboy" could still be a member of the Legion after the John Byrne reboot establish that Supes didn't establish his career until after he became an adult. Hell, there were still references to the Kara Zor-El Supergirl who was never supposed even exist post-Crisis. Eventually editorial mandate forced a soft reboot, but Legion continuity was pretty much FUBARed until Zero Hour. The Silver Age Hawkman is another sterling example, where despite him playing a role in 1988's Invasion, DC wanted Hawkworld (released the following year, and a damn fine read) to take place in the then-contemporary DCU as opposed to the intended origin story. That necessitated a cascade of retcons that made the character untouchable for years.

Things got better after Zero Hour. DC ran with the "legacy" theme with the return of the JSA to prominence after the success of James Robinson's Starman. The Justice League returned to "all-star" status with Grant Morrison's JLA. Something I call the "Reconstruction Era" that ended more or less with Identity Crisis. Granted, more of DC's Silver Age elements crept into the mythos, culminating in Barry Allen's return in Final Crisis.

And then they blow it up after Flashpoint with the New 52, which left a bad taste in my mouth. Rebirth seems to be fixing that by introducing elements from the pre-Flashpoint universe, but I'm wary. DC has a problem with rebooting and retconning, though Marvel seems to be worse at times since they heavily rely on recycling plots and shock tactics to drive sales.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1239 on: October 21, 2016, 06:50:49 PM
So anyone been keeping up with Rebirth?

Because Rebirth Superman is some of the best Superman ive seen in a long time. I could practically hear the classic Superman theme when this happened.

Also i really do like Jon and how they are actually exploring Superman with a son.

Not to mention the eventual teamup between Jon and Damian. Oh boy I can't wait for this

Could this be it? Could DC finally be back?

theyve even gone back to a classic round logo reminiscent of the early 70's one, ditching that awful New 52 logo

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.