GENERAL COMIC BOOK THREAD (MANGA NOT ALLOWED)

Rin · 208708

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #575 on: September 11, 2010, 11:58:24 PM
Well that's what I meant when I say that Morrison-canon is always a mystery.

And honestly, I tend to agree with you, which is one reason I never really got into the Legion, except for Mark Waid's run on it which was one of the best comics that recently came out several years back.

However, I honestly consider Batman Beyond to be the greatest version of the future of Batman.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #576 on: September 12, 2010, 12:08:57 AM
Well that's what I meant when I say that Morrison-canon is always a mystery.

And honestly, I tend to agree with you, which is one reason I never really got into the Legion, except for Mark Waid's run on it which was one of the best comics that recently came out several years back.

However, I honestly consider Batman Beyond to be the greatest version of the future of Batman.
It is, but mostly because of Dini's and Timm's amazing concepts for different storylines in the future, and their ability to make Terry a great character by creating new stuff all around instead of just focusing on a legacy.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #577 on: September 12, 2010, 12:12:15 AM
It is, but mostly because of Dini's and Timm's amazing concepts for different storylines in the future, and their ability to make Terry a great character by creating new stuff all around instead of just focusing on a legacy.

Exactly. I liked his character a lot. I liked that he was a different type of Batman than Bruce.  What I really like is what happened to Bruce to. I feel it's the most truthful example of what would happen to him. Plus, the reason why he gave it up was done so well in the opener.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #578 on: September 12, 2010, 12:41:57 AM
I liked that he was a different type of Batman than Bruce. 

Sure helped him against the Joker.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #579 on: September 12, 2010, 01:03:45 AM
Sure helped him against the Joker.
Which kinda reminds me of why I think of #700's Beyond cameo as more of a tribute anyway. Look at who Terry's fighting. They're not some run-of-the-mill gang. That's the Joker and his Jokerz. =P Damian wouldn't be so chillaxed if it was someone like that. XD

Exactly. I liked his character a lot. I liked that he was a different type of Batman than Bruce.  What I really like is what happened to Bruce to. I feel it's the most truthful example of what would happen to him. Plus, the reason why he gave it up was done so well in the opener.
Yep. But that's the very point of this new side of Batman Morrison's promoting. He's CHANGING Batman. Getting him into the yellow oval again, embracing his Golden Age past, making him more colorful, getting him to fight against Gods and Entities... DCAU Bruce surely would have ended up like that, yes. But current Bruce? No. I'm expecting Bruce to come out changed, with a different outlook on life. No longer just the "[dark hold]" of the JLA. Look at the way he's portrayed in the Morrison books. Making a few jokes once in awhile. Fighting Ninja Man-Bats. Sharing a cuppa with his family. Actually SMILING to a girl when he recognizes her and treating her right, right after he's been through one of the worst ordeals of his life in #701. Morrison is changing Bruce bit by bit. Making him a bit more wacky and cartoony, to be honest. He's no longer the [dark hold] who scares children and treats everyone in a superior manner, grunting all the way. Dude's evolved beyond that.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #580 on: September 12, 2010, 01:59:13 AM
Yep. But that's the very point of this new side of Batman Morrison's promoting. He's CHANGING Batman. Getting him into the yellow oval again, embracing his Golden Age past, making him more colorful, getting him to fight against Gods and Entities... DCAU Bruce surely would have ended up like that, yes. But current Bruce? No. I'm expecting Bruce to come out changed, with a different outlook on life. No longer just the "[dark hold]" of the JLA. Look at the way he's portrayed in the Morrison books. Making a few jokes once in awhile. Fighting Ninja Man-Bats. Sharing a cuppa with his family. Actually SMILING to a girl when he recognizes her and treating her right, right after he's been through one of the worst ordeals of his life in #701. Morrison is changing Bruce bit by bit. Making him a bit more wacky and cartoony, to be honest. He's no longer the [dark hold] who scares children and treats everyone in a superior manner, grunting all the way. Dude's evolved beyond that.

Oh I was just referring to the DCAU version of Bruce, not every version of him. I pretty much agree with you. I like that he's going back to using the Yellow Oval. I love that Morrison goes back to his Silver Age past as well. However, I personally think that DCAU Bruce is the best version of Bruce, because he still cracked jokes, smiled, and was much more of a wise-ass than an [dark hold]. I thought this was especially done right as they got further and further into the JL stories, especially the JLU series.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #581 on: September 12, 2010, 02:12:27 AM
Oh I was just referring to the DCAU version of Bruce, not every version of him. I pretty much agree with you. I like that he's going back to using the Yellow Oval. I love that Morrison goes back to his Silver Age past as well. However, I personally think that DCAU Bruce is the best version of Bruce, because he still cracked jokes, smiled, and was much more of a wise-ass than an [dark hold]. I thought this was especially done right as they got further and further into the JL stories, especially the JLU series.
I like the DCAU characterization, but I'm not fond of the way he closed up towards everyone. I like the Silver Age version of Bruce, where him and Superman were best friends who had fun saving the world alot of times. I LOVE the way Frank Miller made Batman the grim bastard we know and love, but I have to admit that my favorite Batman isn't the street-level Bats, but the dude who not only can save the world in amazing ways, but can have fun doing it as well. I mean, the break he took with Robin to go visit the Legion of Heroes? Would he have accepted such a thing while being portrayed in his "loner" mood? He's one for group action now, lots of friends having fun and saving the world with his resourcefulness! Morrison's making Batman be dark and grim as he's always been, but still amazing, legendary, and with some goofy stuff. That's what I love about this.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #582 on: September 12, 2010, 02:24:06 AM
But that's pretty much what the DCAU Batman did as well. Sure, he was only a part-time member, but he clearly knew that the league needed him.

In terms of character development though, I'd really love to see what Geoff does with Aquaman & Mera.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #583 on: September 12, 2010, 02:31:34 AM
But that's pretty much what the DCAU Batman did as well. Sure, he was only a part-time member, but he clearly knew that the league needed him.

In terms of character development though, I'd really love to see what Geoff does with Aquaman & Mera.
Batman SAYS he's a part-time member simply so the league can't interfere with his matters. Dude's pretty much the leader. =P

And Aquaman seems to be led in a good direction, with the usual Rebirth formula. "Bring back the most authentic enemy from the past, and give them a reason to fear"

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #584 on: September 12, 2010, 02:34:27 AM
The only question now those is will Aquaman survive the Brightest Day. XD

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #585 on: September 12, 2010, 02:56:44 AM
The only question now those is will Aquaman survive the Brightest Day. XD
By kicking Black Manta's ASS. =P

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #586 on: September 12, 2010, 02:57:50 AM
Besides Black Manta & Ocean Master, I can't recall any other Aquaman rogues. It looks like Mera's sister might be one in the future.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #587 on: September 12, 2010, 03:10:39 AM
Besides Black Manta & Ocean Master, I can't recall any other Aquaman rogues. It looks like Mera's sister might be one in the future.
Basically just anyone who pollutes the ocean, poaches or does anything illegal in the sea, really.

The Aquaman/Etrigan Brave and the Bold comic already made him a badass in my eyes.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #588 on: September 12, 2010, 03:45:34 AM
Yeaaaah, Geoff needs to get to work and give him some more rogues.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #589 on: September 12, 2010, 04:05:34 AM
You know what I truly, TRULY hope they do? Keep Deadman alive. Seriously, he can keep the name, but nobody really cares much about him being dead in the first place. Him being alive could rejuvenate the character, make him relevant as some kind of guardian, probably the new White Lantern for good. Killing him again would be kinda dumb after all this.

...I'm SO glad Johns is planning on staying aboard DC for a long time. Since he handles Green Lantern so well, I really want him to stand true to his promise and keep writing it until he retires.

...or until he starts sucking, like Moore, Miller, Millar, Loeb and other comic book geniuses who went mad. =P He can go out the door then.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #590 on: September 12, 2010, 04:24:46 AM
I agree with keeping Deadman alive, but not him keeping the name. If he is to be the new White Lantern guardian, then call him LIFEMAN!  8)

Seriously though, I really like what he's doing with the characters in Brightest Day. He is breathing new life into them, both literally and figuratively. Yeah, Johns is my current favorite writer, and I hope he's with DC for a long long time. I think he will be though.

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #591 on: September 13, 2010, 09:44:18 PM
There's a rumor going around that all the major players in the Brightest Day biweekly are going to get their own series. Hawkman and Firestorm have my interest, Martian Manhunter and Deadman maybe, but I'll pass on Aquaman. I'm entirely sure why but Aquaman never appealed to me, all his supporting characters were far more enticing to me. Heck, Mera is the only reason why I'm following the Aquaman portions. That and Johns' writing with Reis' pencils.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #592 on: September 13, 2010, 09:47:18 PM
There's a rumor going around that all the major players in the Brightest Day biweekly are going to get their own series. Hawkman and Firestorm have my interest, Martian Manhunter and Deadman maybe, but I'll pass on Aquaman. I'm entirely sure why but Aquaman never appealed to me, all his supporting characters were far more enticing to me. Heck, Mera is the only reason why I'm following the Aquaman portions. That and Johns' writing with Reis' pencils.
Aquaman can be quite cool when he wants to.

I'll never forget that one line towards a villain:

"You're offering me control of the world above? I'm already a king of 72% of the planet. Why would I settle for less?"

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #593 on: September 13, 2010, 09:55:21 PM
The problem with a lot of them is that they don't have any real villains, save for a select few. I mean, Aquaman has Black Manta & Ocean Master, Firestorm has Killer Frost, J'onn has Malefic and...well no one, the Hawks have Shadow Thief, their long time tormenter who's name escapes me at the moment, and Deadman has no one cause he's dead.

So if they want to bring these characters back, I think they need to really revamp their worlds. Mind you, Geoff can do it, which is what Brightest Day might ultimately be about, but Geoff can't write every single issue of all these books.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #594 on: September 14, 2010, 12:42:26 AM
Firestorm did have a respectable rogues gallery back in the day like the aforementioned Killer Frost, who isn't even the original. There was Multiplex, Typhoon, the Hyena (both dead from what I recall), Plastique, the Black Bison, and possibly a few others I missed. There are probably enough to make another go at a series but said series probably would last like Volume 3, which was 35 issues long. Volume 1 was axed at 6 issues because it came out during the DC implosion, and it's quite an astonishment that Volume 2 (alternately known as "The Fury of Firestorm") lasted 100 issues. Though part of that can be attributed to John Ostrander's run after creator Gerry Conway ran out of steam.

The more you know.  8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #595 on: September 14, 2010, 12:50:51 AM
Plastique was a Firestorm villain? Heh.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #596 on: September 14, 2010, 01:50:35 AM
Her first appearance was in Fury of Firestorm #7 and she was a bit of an anachronism as a French-Canadian terrorist (the separatist kind) because the FLQ pretty much fizzled out ten years eariler.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #597 on: September 14, 2010, 02:05:16 AM
Firestorm's concept is pretty cool, but using him well in a story is very tricky. Specially with all the crazy [parasitic bomb] he can do.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #598 on: September 14, 2010, 03:02:54 AM
Of course, they had to "dumb" down Ronnie a bit (not that he was ever the sharpest knife in the drawer) my making it so that it was through Martin Stein's (Firestorm's other half for a while) advanced knowledge of nuclear physics and chemistry that Firestorm was able to do what he did throughout the 80s. I think Stormy's biggest draw during his tenure in the Satellite League was that he was the inexperienced rookie who was starry-eyed when he saw what his teammates did. That and to give someone for the Flash and Aquaman to slap upside the head.  :V

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #599 on: September 14, 2010, 08:43:09 AM
Have they ever put a distance on his powers? Or a variety issue? I feel the dude could sometimes turn everything into everything, but other times he's just getting slapped around.