GENERAL COMIC BOOK THREAD (MANGA NOT ALLOWED)

Rin · 208713

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #175 on: June 22, 2010, 04:51:38 PM
Yeah, buy the first one, then when you can buy the second one.  They are among the best comics I've ever read.

However, under NO circumstances should you EVER, repeat EVER get Ultimates 3.
...or Ultimatum.

...especially Ultimatum.

Also, looks like Captain Boomerang can now make boomerangs out of nothing. He kept a black lantern power, it seems.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #176 on: June 22, 2010, 04:53:30 PM
Yes.  After Ultimates 1 & 2, you can pretty much stop there.

Also, looks like Captain Boomerang can now make boomerangs out of nothing. He kept a black lantern power, it seems.

Looks like they've all kept some of their Black Lantern-ness thus far.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #177 on: June 22, 2010, 04:58:50 PM
Yes.  After Ultimates 1 & 2, you can pretty much stop there.

Looks like they've all kept some of their Black Lantern-ness thus far.
We still haven't seen Professor Zoom's stuff or Max Lord's black lantern powers. I hope they don't feature alot. And I hope it ties into Max somehow going back to who he used to be. ;_;

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #178 on: June 22, 2010, 04:59:42 PM
And I hope it ties into Max somehow going back to who he used to be. ;_;

I'm pretty sure that shipped has sailed!

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #179 on: June 23, 2010, 12:16:31 AM
Guys, I know that I shouldn't buy Ultimates 3... since I've read that [parasitic bomb], and voiced my opinion on it.
Ehhh.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #180 on: June 23, 2010, 12:34:08 AM
I'm pretty sure that shipped has sailed!
You sure? Have you read the latest Booster Gold?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #181 on: June 23, 2010, 03:42:58 AM
Guys, I know that I shouldn't buy Ultimates 3... since I've read that [parasitic bomb], and voiced my opinion on it.
Ehhh.

Just making sure, buddy!  XD

You sure? Have you read the latest Booster Gold?

I have not.  Is there a chance?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #182 on: June 23, 2010, 04:28:23 AM
Just making sure, buddy!  XD

I have not.  Is there a chance?
Booster goes to the past in order to get some evidence that Max exists. There, he meets the old, GOOD Max, and the classic JLI, with all the bells and whistles. And when he's there, he REASSURES himself: "This guy here is NOT the monster I've got back in my time. He just isn't. I'm sure now."

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #183 on: June 23, 2010, 04:34:19 AM
Hmmmmmmmm, the plot thickens!  XD

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #184 on: June 23, 2010, 05:25:58 AM
Hmmmmmmmm, the plot thickens!  XD
...we shall see tomorrow, in Generation Lost.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #185 on: June 23, 2010, 05:27:48 AM
I'm looking forward to tomorrow then.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #186 on: June 23, 2010, 09:55:10 AM
I just want Ted back. ;_;

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #187 on: June 30, 2010, 07:37:16 AM

So tomorrow (today being that it's after midnight), Wonder Woman gets a new costume, and a new JMS direction.  Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the new costume.  I mean, I don't mind the look of it per-se, but if they were going to change Diana's outfit, I'd have preferred something more Amazon-ish looking, with Armor.  Something that Hephaestus would make.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #188 on: June 30, 2010, 08:26:21 AM
I agree with PB. Its looks great, but... For WW, It just doesnt seem what one would expect...

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #189 on: June 30, 2010, 01:08:32 PM

So tomorrow (today being that it's after midnight), Wonder Woman gets a new costume, and a new JMS direction.  Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the new costume.  I mean, I don't mind the look of it per-se, but if they were going to change Diana's outfit, I'd have preferred something more Amazon-ish looking, with Armor.  Something that Hephaestus would make.
Well... I don't hate it. I've never been a big fan of Wonder Woman, so I never saw her costume as something amazingly iconic, unlike Superman's costume. They're probably gonna try to get rid of the supernatural origins and go with something more realistic. Not a big fan of JMS myself, so I can't say how well that'll work out. But honestly, the 2009 animated movie already had the best Wonder Woman origin I've seen. Why not use that? Why does DC have to constantly be changing character's origins? We didn't need Superman: Secret Origin. Birthright was already the best damn origin story we've had. And as much as GL: Secret Origin was good, we've had an origin story for him a few decades ago, which was also pretty good, at least the way I remember it. Well, the new costume isn't iconic, or superhero-like, but at least I have to give DC SOME props for something. They're finally covering up their women in some extent. I just wish they didn't cover up who's probably the one DC woman who needs it the least.

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #190 on: June 30, 2010, 06:26:44 PM

So tomorrow (today being that it's after midnight), Wonder Woman gets a new costume, and a new JMS direction.  Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the new costume.  I mean, I don't mind the look of it per-se, but if they were going to change Diana's outfit, I'd have preferred something more Amazon-ish looking, with Armor.  Something that Hephaestus would make.

Personally, I'm more entertained by how there's an army of fanboys flipping their [parasitic bomb] over the new costume and direction. Y'know, I wonder HOW many of them bought Wonder Woman when Gail Simone wrote it.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #191 on: June 30, 2010, 06:32:48 PM
Well... I don't hate it. I've never been a big fan of Wonder Woman, so I never saw her costume as something amazingly iconic, unlike Superman's costume. They're probably gonna try to get rid of the supernatural origins and go with something more realistic. Not a big fan of JMS myself, so I can't say how well that'll work out. But honestly, the 2009 animated movie already had the best Wonder Woman origin I've seen. Why not use that? Why does DC have to constantly be changing character's origins? We didn't need Superman: Secret Origin. Birthright was already the best damn origin story we've had. And as much as GL: Secret Origin was good, we've had an origin story for him a few decades ago, which was also pretty good, at least the way I remember it. Well, the new costume isn't iconic, or superhero-like, but at least I have to give DC SOME props for something. They're finally covering up their women in some extent. I just wish they didn't cover up who's probably the one DC woman who needs it the least.

See, that's just it. Like you, I'm not the hugest WW fan myself. Also, lf you go by...well sheer clothing logic, her outfit makes little sense, so I have no real qualms about them changing it.  It's just that I wish it was something more armor-ish, that's all.  Hell, make her new outfit in the Soul Calibur character creation if need be.

Also, DC keeps changing origins due to the retconing they love doing, so Supes & GL: Secret Origins was probably due to Infinite Crisis, or maybe just cause they felt like it.  I'm not complaining, cause I really love Supes: Secret Origin.

Personally, I'm more entertained by how there's an army of fanboys flipping their [parasitic bomb] over the new costume and direction. Y'know, I wonder HOW many of them bought Wonder Woman when Gail Simone wrote it.

Well this is why I don't go onto comic blogs and chat.  Comic fanboys are among the most unreasonable nerds in existence.  However, seeing what JMS did with Spidey.....I don't blame them entirely....

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #192 on: June 30, 2010, 06:44:44 PM
Well this is why I don't go onto comic blogs and chat.  Comic fanboys are among the most unreasonable nerds in existence.  However, seeing what JMS did with Spidey.....I don't blame them entirely....

I told some haters on ComicBloc, they need to just chill. They'll live longer that way. In all probability, DC will go back to the old status quo and treat JMS' Wonder Woman as an alternate timeline. Heck, some fans are theorizing that this will tie into "Flashpoint" in some small way.

As for JMS' run on Amazing Spider-Man, which storyline do you speak of? The Spider-Totem, Sins Past, One More Day, or all of the above? Joey Q is more responsible for the latter two if memory serves

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #193 on: June 30, 2010, 06:56:29 PM
As for JMS' run on Amazing Spider-Man, which storyline do you speak of? The Spider-Totem, Sins Past, One More Day, or all of the above? Joey Q is more responsible for the latter two if memory serves

Well I blame Quesada more for Sins Past & One More Day, but the Spider-Totem thing was awful.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #194 on: July 01, 2010, 12:29:48 AM
Well I blame Quesada more for Sins Past & One More Day, but the Spider-Totem thing was awful.
You know... the other day, I went back and read some classic Spidey. And I realised... do they EVER let his character evolve? EVER?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #195 on: July 01, 2010, 02:53:07 AM
You know... the other day, I went back and read some classic Spidey. And I realised... do they EVER let his character evolve? EVER?

Well I thought they did with the fact that he was married to MJ.  To me, it was a nice tale of a nerd who always got picked on, but ultimately wound up with the hot chick wife.

Also, I read the #600 of Wonder Woman, and it wasn't all that bad.  I'm kinda curious about the change, as it looks like the Greek Gods are [tornado fang]ing with her life somewhat.  It's not going to make me start buying WW, but still, I'm curious.  What I did like was all the splash pages of WW art.  LoL, of course it only made me like her classic costume more.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #196 on: July 01, 2010, 03:40:08 AM
Well I thought they did with the fact that he was married to MJ.  To me, it was a nice tale of a nerd who always got picked on, but ultimately wound up with the hot chick wife.

Also, I read the #600 of Wonder Woman, and it wasn't all that bad.  I'm kinda curious about the change, as it looks like the Greek Gods are [tornado fang]ing with her life somewhat.  It's not going to make me start buying WW, but still, I'm curious.  What I did like was all the splash pages of WW art.  LoL, of course it only made me like her classic costume more.
I like the fact that they're evolving her at all. But if they're changing the costume, why glorify her old costume so much? It's kind of strange.

...all in all, Superman and Wonder Woman specials were kinda dull compared to the almighty awesomeness Batman #700 brought. =P

...I'm really looking forward to the Flash vs Captain Boomerang fight, though. Digger's return seems rad.

...and SURPRISE SURPRISE, Beechen's Batman Beyond doesn't suck! Yet at least. Although I think they could have picked a better villain to Beyondize. Seeing as Tommy Elliot's vendetta lies against Bruce and not Terry.

And GL was fun, but aside from Lobo funtimes, it didn't evolve at all. Why do I get the feeling that the GL book is the one who will tell the least amount of relevant facts in Brightest Day?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #197 on: July 01, 2010, 03:57:44 AM
I like the fact that they're evolving her at all. But if they're changing the costume, why glorify her old costume so much? It's kind of strange.

...all in all, Superman and Wonder Woman specials were kinda dull compared to the almighty awesomeness Batman #700 brought. =P

...I'm really looking forward to the Flash vs Captain Boomerang fight, though. Digger's return seems rad.

...and SURPRISE SURPRISE, Beechen's Batman Beyond doesn't suck! Yet at least. Although I think they could have picked a better villain to Beyondize. Seeing as Tommy Elliot's vendetta lies against Bruce and not Terry.

And GL was fun, but aside from Lobo funtimes, it didn't evolve at all. Why do I get the feeling that the GL book is the one who will tell the least amount of relevant facts in Brightest Day?

Yeah, I like Digger's return.

Batman Beyond was pretty good.  The banter between Bruce & Terry was still great.

GL was pretty awesome.  Gotta love Lobo, plus the origin of Dex!  XD

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #198 on: July 01, 2010, 06:19:27 AM

Don Kramer's art is B-E-A-utiful. It certainly has come a long way since his run on JSA.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #199 on: July 01, 2010, 11:41:37 AM
Yeah, I like Digger's return.

Batman Beyond was pretty good.  The banter between Bruce & Terry was still great.

GL was pretty awesome.  Gotta love Lobo, plus the origin of Dex!  XD
I love Lobo, but he's gone away as fast as he's come back. I'm not saying DC should milk their one funny canon character like Marvel does with Deadpool, but they could have kept him around in the plot, ala 52.

BTW, anyone read the Arkham Asylum: Madness hardcover by Sam Keith? It's out today. It's quite good.