Doctor Who

Rin · 21668

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
on: November 03, 2009, 08:49:10 AM
So, who watches this? I've got into it not so long ago, and seen mostly the new series.
Tough, recently I've watched one of the classic stories, "Rememberance of the Daleks". It was friggin' awesome.
I though it was funny, during the talk with Davros scene, Davros kept pronoucing "Doctor" differently. "DOKTERRRR" : D

Can someone recommend me, what should I check out? Some books? Maybe Audiobooks?

Anyway, Doctor Who GENERAL thread:

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 08:58:24 AM
I listen to the audio adventures and I definitely recommend those.  Big Finish Productions does several series featuring the Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, and Eighth Doctors.  I'm a fan of the Eighth Doctor series, Paul McGann is a great Doctor.

And since Daleks are awesome, I definitely suggest checking out the Dalek Empire series.  Very, very good series.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 09:03:18 AM
I listen to the audio adventures and I definitely recommend those.  Big Finish Productions does several series featuring the Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, and Eighth Doctors.  I'm a fan of the Eighth Doctor series, Paul McGann is a great Doctor.
Okay, I will check dat stuff out.
Which of those are the most worth checking out?

Also, tell me. What do you think the new season will be like? They are changing many things.
I for one, weep, because David Tennant will not be The Doctor anymore. I love this guy... in fact, I'm gay for him. ;_;

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 09:09:53 AM
Well, I'm hoping the new season will be good and that Matt Smith can pull off all the eccentricities that the Doctor has.  I haven't seen him in action, yet.  Since Tennant is leaving, I hope he considers doing more Big Finish audio.  He did some voice work for Dalek Empire III (as Galanar, since the Doctor wasn't a part of that series) and for various other episodes as various other characters.  He also, if memory serves me correctly, played Luther Archwright in Luther Archwright.  However, as far as Tenth Doctor audio goes, Big Finish doesn't have the licensing for it, so BBC Audio will be handling that for a while.

As far as recommendations go... I suggest the Eighth Doctor series.  It's a serial, so it'd be best to start at the beginning.  Though, for a Dalek fix, Blood of the Daleks is a really good Eighth Doctor stand-alone episode that also explains how Lucy Miller became his companion.  A good creepy Eighth Doctor episode with Charlie as his companion is Embrace the Darkness.  Great to listen to at night.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 09:20:07 AM
As far as recommendations go... I suggest the Eighth Doctor series.  It's a serial, so it'd be best to start at the beginning.  Though, for a Dalek fix, Blood of the Daleks is a really good Eighth Doctor stand-alone episode that also explains how Lucy Miller became his companion.  A good creepy Eighth Doctor episode with Charlie as his companion is Embrace the Darkness.  Great to listen to at night.
Blood of the Daleks? Holy [parasitic bomb]. Gotta find it. : D
Thanks.

As for the new series, yeah. We have not seen the dude in action... yet. This makes me even more nervous, because I'm afraid the more I wait to see what's the guy like, the more I'm afraid I'll just not like him. Meh, who knows. He might be good.

Anyway, I wonder if Daleks will return in this series, and if they do, what kind of silly explanation of this they'll give us. : D

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 09:31:07 AM
Oh, I have a feeling the Daleks will return.  As for how, it'd be explained away as a crack in time, a parallel timeline, alternate universe, prior to the Time War, a colony of Daleks untouched by the Time War, time tampering by the Daleks, or any number of wacky explanations.  I forget what excuse was used in the book Prisoner of the Daleks, but it was one of those.   

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 11:17:29 AM
Daleks are the R2D2's with the zappy guns, right?

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 05:47:32 PM
Oh, I have a feeling the Daleks will return.  As for how, it'd be explained away as a crack in time, a parallel timeline, alternate universe, prior to the Time War, a colony of Daleks untouched by the Time War, time tampering by the Daleks, or any number of wacky explanations.  I forget what excuse was used in the book Prisoner of the Daleks, but it was one of those.   
It's surprising, with how many things you can get away with in a science fiction show. : D

Daleks are the R2D2's with the zappy guns, right?
Yeah. They look ridiculous, but they are actually pretty awesome. Oh, and I love the voices.

Also, I'm on the second part of the "Blood of the Daleks". [parasitic bomb]'s awesome. I wonder if there's an ost released for this.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 07:08:35 AM
As far as I know, there's not.  I wanted an OST to Dalek Empire as the music is kick-ass awesome.  But, the series itself is even more awesome, I really enjoyed it.

Until Nicholas Briggs decided to forgo the story he was telling in DE I-III for a totally new concurrent tale taking place between the events of DE I-II.  Kinda irked me as he really left the audience hanging.  And the characters in DE IV just seem to lack the spark and charisma that the characters in DE I-III had. 

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 12:42:59 PM
As far as I know, there's not.  I wanted an OST to Dalek Empire as the music is kick-ass awesome.  But, the series itself is even more awesome, I really enjoyed it.

Until Nicholas Briggs decided to forgo the story he was telling in DE I-III for a totally new concurrent tale taking place between the events of DE I-II.  Kinda irked me as he really left the audience hanging.  And the characters in DE IV just seem to lack the spark and charisma that the characters in DE I-III had. 
That's too bad I guess. That there's no ost.

Oh, and I've just finished listening to the "Genocide Machine". Next up is, "The Apocalypse Element".

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 05:55:51 AM
Ooh, a good episode.

I used to be sporting a quote from an Eighth Doctor episode "Terror Firma," mainly because just the way McGann said it was so very hilarious.

"Ooooh, defrost your very own Davros!"
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 10:50:19 AM by Quickman »

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 07:02:13 AM
Nice Dalek avatar, Quickman.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 11:30:14 PM
So, I've just watched "The Waters of Mars", and I must say I'm impressed. Especially with the way it ended.

[spoiler]The Doctor realizing that he's gone too far after she killed herself was quite sad. He seemed so pround of himself and then BAM... : <<<[/spoiler]

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 11:34:21 PM
i like how he references the ice warriors.. i miss those bastards.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 05:21:58 PM
When exactly does the TARDUS get stuck as a police box? Is that before the first episode of the first series, or did it play out in the early stuff?

Which reminds me, I've heard they don't exist anymore because BBC ran out of room to hold stuff & threw out the originals of some of the oldest Doctor Who.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 07:23:45 PM
very fist episode.

he attempts to fix it during tom baker's last series of episodes.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 08:27:51 PM
Jesus... I just can't wait for this whole "The End of Time".

There are rumors even, of the return of Galiffrey and the Time Lords, and that Doctor will be hunted as the killer of his own kind. Well, in the new series at least.
UND, am I the only one who, when looking at the new actor to play The Doctor, wants to punch him in the face? I mean, Jesus... he's just pissing me off for some reason. I can't get over the horrible feeling that he's going to suck major balls. : /

Also, currently listening to "The Mutant Phase".

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 08:59:58 PM
Colin Baker was horrible too.. >>

Offline Ninja Lou

• Samurai/Ninja of RPM
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Ninjas........Damn
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 08:57:47 AM
The new episode was on BBC america tonight. Water of Mars. I think he only has one more episode before he regenerates. Its sad to see him go.

This post has been approved by Marle!

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 10:41:27 AM

Offline Ninja Lou

• Samurai/Ninja of RPM
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Ninjas........Damn
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: December 20, 2009, 09:20:18 PM
Wow how did I let that slide.

This post has been approved by Marle!

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 05:41:55 AM
Colin Baker was horrible too.. >>

I find him to be much better in the audio.  He's taken the Doctor in his own direction with the audio.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 05:55:48 AM
Whenever I think Colin Baker I think of Trial of a Time Lord, which went on like two billion years too long.

Not looking good, Colin Baker.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: December 26, 2009, 12:09:30 AM
Oh my God...
OH GOD...
[tornado fang]!
OH MY GOD...
THAT WAS...
JESUS CHRIST...

OOOHHHH MYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDD!!!
THE AWESOME! It'S TOO MUCH! I WANT MOARRRR! MOAAARRR!

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 07:15:00 AM
This week will be one long week.  I can't wait for part two.