Do you know what makes me sad?

Keno · 42906

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: October 25, 2009, 01:26:19 AM
Smacking PB for not playing Xtreme2

That was a losing battle from the start. PB is just not man enough to beat the likes of Ether & Souel.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: October 25, 2009, 02:07:05 AM
It would be awful if it were PS1 air-dashing.  Thankfully, it is not, and it therefore rocks.   :P

I had no issue with PS1 air-dashing at all!  Can you guess why?   :V

That was a losing battle from the start. PB is just not man enough to beat the likes of Ether & Souel.

No he is not!  When awful control schemes (IE: Xtreme series, Star Fox DS) interfere with his enjoyment of a game, he quits, buckles like a belt, and lets Ninja Lou tell him if the game was good or not!   8)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #77 on: October 25, 2009, 02:11:12 AM
So you're telling me I should be smacking Lou for not doing his job?

That can be arranged.

Can you guess why?   :V
Because you enjoy coming to a dead stop in midair?

he quits, buckles like a belt,
*record skip*
......what?

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: October 25, 2009, 02:13:44 AM
So you're telling me I should be smacking Lou for not doing his job?

That can be arranged.

You can smack him too, if you want.  He hated the controls for both Xtreme games, yet kept on trucking through, like a trooper!  XD

Because you enjoy coming to a dead stop in midair?

Didn't bother me.  I still had my all so important dash button.  8)

*record skip*
...what?

I tend to bunch both Xtreme games in the same category! 

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: October 25, 2009, 02:21:00 AM
Nevermind.  Between your avatar and the talk of Berkana pjwning you, I misread that.

I still had my all so important dash button.  8)
In mid-air, you have it in Xtreme2 as well.  Xtreme2 just does the actual air-dash better. 8)

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: October 25, 2009, 02:47:08 AM
No he is not!  When awful control schemes (IE: Xtreme series, Star Fox DS) interfere with his enjoyment of a game, he quits, buckles like a belt, and lets Ninja Lou tell him if the game was good or not!   

You quit? You haven't even begun to try! Man up, get the game and play it.

This is the era of the internet, shouldn't be hard to get it through whatever means. Doing just that, you can get your oh so important dash button by mapping select to instead a more appropriate button.

You have no excuse, PB, and you know it.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: October 25, 2009, 03:09:02 AM
Star Fox Command was awesome, [tornado fang] you.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: October 25, 2009, 03:15:25 AM
You're cornered PB... There's no where to run...
*pulls out Xtreme 2*

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: October 25, 2009, 03:19:10 AM
I enjoyed Star Fox Command, but even I have to admit it'd have benefited from classic controls.  And what the hell is with the inability to tilt your ship?  Yeah, that's excusable in corridors, but for all-range?  No way.  However, in spite of this, it still beats the hell out of Assault.

Doing just that, you can get your oh so important dash button by mapping select to instead a more appropriate button.
Actually, that would only work for Xtreme1.  In Xtreme2, Select can be either weapon switch, or more appropriately, character switch.  No dash.

Xtreme2 dash commands are as follows:
-double-tap forward
-down+jump
-jump (midair)

Something with a programmable combo for #1 would be nice, although it might cut response time a bit.

Honestly, though, dash-jumping in Xtreme2 is rather pointless.  With proper air-dash physics as they are on the GBC, you can cover just as much if not more ground with the air-dash.  The only real inconvenience with option 2 on the ground is if you've beaten Flame Mammoth as Zero, since Down+Attack triggers Fire Wave.  Still, that's nothing compared to putting up with Sentsuizan.  And since weapons aren't shared, you can always beat him as X (which will save you 2000 Nightmare Souls if you're planning on getting the Shotokan moves).

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #84 on: October 25, 2009, 03:25:57 AM
Honestly, though, dash-jumping in Xtreme2 is rather pointless.  With proper air-dash physics as they are on the GBC, you can cover just as much if not more ground with the air-dash.

If you can master that bud, then you are the true "Knight of the Wind".  -_-

I had no problems with the Xtreme2 controls too, all I did was check to see if the area is appropriate for Air Dashing in general, and set it to proper controls, the X GB games was just on the wrong system, that's all. Plus SFC's DS controls made Barrel Rolling hell easier.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: October 25, 2009, 03:29:10 AM
Well, yeah, but if you're barrel-rolling like a maniac 90% of the time, it kinda loses its appeal.

My main issue is that I like to roll my ship manually, just for the sake of acting nuts.  That's why I turn off auto-roll on every flight game I ever play.  SFC doesn't even allow non-barrel rolling at all (earlier games at least allowed a 90-degree tilt), much less disabling the auto-roll.  Which, again, would work for an arcade-style corridor game, which Star Fox used to do.  But going all-range for the entire game they're stepping more on flight sim territory, which makes the limitations more irritating.

Well, now I HAVE to listen to that music track.  Not a bad thing, though. 8)

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: October 25, 2009, 03:41:25 AM
You know, I'm a really weird guy when it comes to the Xtreme games, more specifically Xtreme1. I enjoyed Xtreme1 A LOT, and I never found dashing annoying, in fact, I LIKED IT. Looking back now, I have no [tornado fang]ing clue how the hell that happened.

However, in spite of this, it still beats the hell out of Assault.

I would disagree with this, but I never played Command after touching it once because of the controls.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #87 on: October 25, 2009, 03:44:03 AM
Well I enjoyed it too, but I have to admit it was poorly made. Just like X7 was.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #88 on: October 25, 2009, 03:46:54 AM
I played it to completion; Normal, Hard, Xtreme, and all.  Never went back after clearing all modes.  Although I didn't appreciate the audio, it's not so much that the game is bad as it is just inferior.  Xtreme1 doesn't do much of anything to set itself apart from the SNES games, and obviously is incapable of reproducing them in full detail.  It doesn't even grant you the proper X2 abilities.  It's just pointless.  Even X7, badly implemented as it was, is at least something original.

I'm a fan of nostalgia and all, but if you're going to pass it as a new game you have to offer enough original content for it to feel fresh, and that means more than changing the dialogue and two new mid-stage bosses.  And if they were going to pass it as a port they'd have offered better armor abilities.  It's essentially the worst of both approaches.

As for Star Fox Assault, I did try it.  Many, many times in the store demos, trying to convince myself to buy it.  Nevermind the on-foot segments, I couldn't even stand the ship handling.  It was too damn slow.  You're flying a sci-fi space jet, for crying out loud, it ought to MOVE.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #89 on: October 25, 2009, 03:54:07 AM
I was calling myself weird because of liking the dash, not the game.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #90 on: October 25, 2009, 03:55:03 AM
Oh, that.  Well then you are weird.  Not that that's saying much around here. 8D

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #91 on: October 25, 2009, 04:05:34 AM
But you could re map the dash in Xtreme 1 couldnt you? I think you could change it to down A... ugh. dont remember.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #92 on: October 25, 2009, 04:08:33 AM
You could change it to ^^VV<><>BA Start button. >U<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Brahman

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #93 on: October 25, 2009, 04:47:59 AM
Ugh, I remember picking up Xtreme 1 again out of boredom, and the final stage started glitching on me: after the 8 bosses, the screen wouldn't scroll correctly, and X would actually walk off the screen. I couldn't even go on to fight Sigma.
I would record it, but I'm not sure the exact way to reproduce the glitch. Although it happened more than once.

I've never had this happen to me while playing it, but when Vixy was playing through the game it happened a few times (she had to keep reloading).

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #94 on: October 25, 2009, 05:48:55 AM
I'll stick with Elemental God of the Wind, thanks.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #95 on: October 25, 2009, 06:46:47 AM
You quit? You haven't even begun to try! Man up, get the game and play it.

This is the era of the internet, shouldn't be hard to get it through whatever means. Doing just that, you can get your oh so important dash button by mapping select to instead a more appropriate button.

You have no excuse, PB, and you know it.

Oh, I own the game.  Both of the Xtreme's, actually.  I bought it the first day it came out.  I own it for collection purposes, and nothing more.  Just like X7 & the Mega Man PC games.   8D

As for mapping the button to select, I tried it in Xtreme 1, and 100% hated it, probably as much as I hate double-tap dashing.  This is how I prefer to play X series games...

...I need to shave.  Anyway, notice my freakish, claw like finger lovingly hovering over the A Dash button, while the thumb blissfully manages both the Jump & Buster buttons.  The L & R buttons are quickly accessible for weapon switching, preferably the L button.  This is the way I play on the PS1 as well, and I've never had a problem with it.  The same goes with the PSP games as well.

This is why I hold to my position that, for ME, the Xtreme series games were a system too early.  Had this been a GBA game, I probably could've made the L or R button a Dash Button.  I'm not very good at conforming.  I'm quite stubborn, as you can tell by my moronic reason for never playing X7.  So, in regards to the dashing, this...

Xtreme2 dash commands are as follows:
-double-tap forward
-down+jump
-jump (midair)

...sucks and sucks hard.  It's not the way I enjoy playing X series games, games in a series, for which I have the SNES & PS1 games for.  LoL, by my logic, not playing 1 game due to me hating the controls is not that big of a loss, considering I have 7 other X games I can play on the SNES & PS/PS2.  8, if you count Maverick Hunter X!   8D

but I never played Command after touching it once because of the controls.

Hey, how about that!  Not touching a game due to the controls.   8)

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #96 on: October 25, 2009, 06:58:59 AM
That's why you play Xtreme on an emulator, so you can map dashing to wherever you want.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #97 on: October 25, 2009, 07:13:40 AM
I'm quite stubborn, as you can tell by my moronic reason for never playing X7.
Actually, I can understand you not liking X7. It does make sense. but this is what doesnt.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #98 on: October 25, 2009, 07:18:20 AM

I just wanted to say that this is exactly how I hold the controller when I play the X games. The only exception being MHX, due to the PSP not being shaped in such a manner where this position is comfortable enough.

The Xtreme games... well, they're alright. The second one is better than the first, however it isn't perfect. The Sigma battles in both of them have much left to be desired, I find. Also, the dashing did feel quite awkward. I will say that I agree with Hypershell (for once) when it comes to the air dash in the second one; it feels very natural.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #99 on: October 25, 2009, 04:21:53 PM
Am I the only one who uses a symmetrical grip?