Do you know what makes me sad?

Keno · 42808

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: October 24, 2009, 07:07:02 AM
Yeah. it was like that. Although, even if you dislike the controls for Xtreme 2, you cant deny it was better than Xtreme 1 even if it was rehashed stages. (although a few had some changes If I remember right)
Hell, the final form of Sigma was an original form. Even if his fist one was his X2 version.

All matters on Controls aside, I thought it was a great game.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: October 24, 2009, 07:09:17 AM
From what I saw of Vixy playing it, the stages looked well designed from Xtreme 2.  Of course, from what I saw of Vixy playing it, it only reconfirmed my strong desire never to play it.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: October 24, 2009, 07:32:30 AM
Whatever. I suppose if you dont like it you dont like it. I if I like it,  I like it. :P

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: October 24, 2009, 09:08:09 AM
Ugh, I remember picking up Xtreme 1 again out of boredom, and the final stage started glitching on me: after the 8 bosses, the screen wouldn't scroll correctly, and X would actually walk off the screen. I couldn't even go on to fight Sigma.
I would record it, but I'm not sure the exact way to reproduce the glitch. Although it happened more than once.

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #54 on: October 24, 2009, 04:43:15 PM
No dash button = awful for dashing & ESPECIALLY dashing off of walls. It's playing a series with a faster paced control scheme with less buttons, thereby hindering it & slowing it down.
Nobody cares when you have proper air-dash momentum, you need only a double-tap and you're flying.  Which actually leaves Xtreme2 at a faster pace than the PS1 games so far as aerial/wall maneuvers go.

Although, even if you dislike the controls for Xtreme 2, you cant deny it was better than Xtreme 1 even if it was rehashed stages. (although a few had some changes If I remember right)
The only purely rehashed stage in Xtreme1 is Flame Mammoth.  Launch Octopus is extremely similar but does have a few extra branches.  Volt Catfish (although not from his own stage but from Toxic Seahorse's) and the first two Fortress stages re-use some segments and carry original segments at the same time.

Both of the above two points are where Xtreme1 failed.  There is little if any original stage design and a 2-button setup does not work without an air-dash (I agree, Select is not positioned for that).  Armor upgrades were pretty crappy as well.  Furthermore Xtreme1 suffers MM2GB syndrome in that its instruments are positively ear-piercing.  Compare the victory jingles in both games, it's the same tune (X1's), but Xtreme1 murdered it while Xtreme2's sounds nice.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: October 24, 2009, 05:16:52 PM
You know, with PB complaining about lacking certain control features, he'd probably really dislike fighting Berkana. >.>

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #56 on: October 24, 2009, 05:21:12 PM
Unless he's really good at avoiding the button-lock thingies she throws at him. ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: October 24, 2009, 05:39:29 PM
Reading this through, i'm shocked that noone mentioned how Shadow Complex handled 2.5D really well.

...that's it.

As far as the 16-bit disagreement goes.  I think only direction can say much on it, especially on good design.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: October 24, 2009, 07:54:08 PM
Nobody cares when you have proper air-dash momentum, you need only a double-tap and you're flying.  Which actually leaves Xtreme2 at a faster pace than the PS1 games so far as aerial/wall maneuvers go.

And again, I hate double-tapping for dashing in everything except Turtles in Time.

You know, with PB complaining about lacking certain control features, he'd probably really dislike fighting Berkana. >.>

I'd venture to say yes!  XD

Unless he's really good at avoiding the button-lock thingies she throws at him. ^^

If the game had a Dash Button, it'd be no problem! 

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: October 24, 2009, 07:56:32 PM
And again, I hate double-tapping for dashing in everything except Turtles in Time.

I know you're not the most stellar in fighting games (or so you and Lou say), but even fighting games too?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: October 24, 2009, 08:12:11 PM
I know you're not the most stellar in fighting games (or so you and Lou say), but even fighting games too?

Hmmm, valid point.  Although, come to think of it, I don't even do it that often in fighting games.  Heh, probably one of the reasons I suck.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: October 24, 2009, 08:20:08 PM

Air dashing in Xtreme 2 is the same as double jumping, so no excuses for that one :P

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #62 on: October 24, 2009, 08:26:37 PM
Air dashing in Xtreme 2 is the same as double jumping, so no excuses for that one :P

It's also the same in X6 in case of the Falcon and Blade Armors.  I actually do double-tap from time to time and it's no real hassle, although I do agree that MM&B failed for forcing it on us, especially after they had just made MMZ which utilized shoulder-dashing.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: October 24, 2009, 08:30:44 PM
Yeah, but R&F already used the shoulder buttons for weapon switching, so insted of removing them (which I wouldn't really mind) and mapping the dash button to L or R for MM&B, they simply removed the dash button and left them there =/

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: October 24, 2009, 08:44:44 PM

As in, I press the jump button twice....and I dash in the air?

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: October 24, 2009, 08:48:36 PM
Exactly. When you're in mid-air of a jump, press the jump button to air-dash. That's simple controls. ^^

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: October 24, 2009, 08:50:35 PM
It still sounds awful for dashing off the walls.

There's just no pleasing me!  XD

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #67 on: October 24, 2009, 09:00:33 PM
Wall-dashing was done automatically IIRC.  Simply jumping off of a wall gave you the same distance as a dash-wall-jump would.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: October 24, 2009, 10:05:39 PM
Wall-dashing was done automatically IIRC.

In Xtreme 1 yea, but not in Xtreme 2. ^^

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: October 24, 2009, 10:36:38 PM
that ability was exclusive to the Xtreme 1 armor, the ability to dash wall jump just by regular wall jumping, since it is the first armor, and can not give you the dash you already have by default.
Xtreme 2 had the upwards air dash from X3. (In the X2 armor!)

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: October 25, 2009, 12:22:16 AM
The only purely rehashed stage in Xtreme1 is Flame Mammoth.  Launch Octopus is extremely similar but does have a few extra branches.  Volt Catfish (although not from his own stage but from Toxic Seahorse's) and the first two Fortress stages re-use some segments and carry original segments at the same time.
Wasn't Wire Sponge also pretty similar?  And don't forget that Neon Tiger has mostly Sting Chameleon for some reason!

Compare the victory jingles in both games, it's the same tune (X1's), but Xtreme1 murdered it while Xtreme2's sounds nice.
They sound about the same, only the first game has a higher-pitched melody, which sounds cuter, which matches the cute X sprites!  And then the second game's password song is too fast.  Maybe Super Nintendo can handle that kind of speed, but ya gotta cool it for Game Boy!

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: October 25, 2009, 12:57:44 AM
Now I know I've been on RPM too long, because I'm picturing Berkana chaining PB to the wall and....you know what, I'd rather not pursue those images.

As in, I press the jump button twice....and I dash in the air?
*smacks PB with his magic fish*

YES!!!

I've spent MONTHS trying to tell you that and you're only now catching on?! O:<

Dear God, man, just play the thing already.  At least then if you need to [sonic slicer], you'll know what you're bitching about.

Wasn't Wire Sponge also pretty similar?  And don't forget that Neon Tiger has mostly Sting Chameleon for some reason!
Forgot about Wire Sponge.  And yeah, there is some Sting likeness, but it's short.

All in all the level design is nicely balanced between old and new, though.  Whereas Xtreme1 was pretty much just old.  Might as well play the originals in that case.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: October 25, 2009, 01:01:06 AM
To be fair to PB, you said you have to double tap, which usually means tapping forward twice not pressing A and then A again.

Oh, and I hadn't seen the fish in a while, what happened to it? XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: October 25, 2009, 01:01:28 AM
*smacks PB with his magic fish*

YES!!!

I've spent MONTHS trying to tell you that and you're only now catching on?! O:<

Dear God, man, just play the thing already.  At least then if you need to [sonic slicer], you'll know what you're bitching about.

Again...

It still sounds awful for dashing off the walls.

There's just no pleasing me!  XD

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: October 25, 2009, 01:02:11 AM
It would be awful if it were PS1 air-dashing.  Thankfully, it is not, and it therefore rocks.   :P

To be fair to PB, you said you have to double tap, which usually means tapping forward twice not pressing A and then A again.
Okay, that excuses THIS thread.  What about the other 2 billion times I've spoken to him?  Smacking PB for not playing Xtreme2 is practically as old as my presence on the board.  I've been over the improvements from Xtreme1, and the difference that air-dashing makes being chief among them, more times than I can possibly count.

Oh, and I hadn't seen the fish in a while, what happened to it? XD
Gave Zan his own, and I didn't want the two of 'em to get too close.