Keno · 42736

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #25 on: October 24, 2009, 01:16:03 AM
X8 was probably the visually worst armor.  The functionally worst would be Blade.  And the worst in terms of distribution is Gaia.

As long as it's not a GB game, I'm happy.
*UPPERCUT!!*
Sorry, reflex action.  Your rejection of Xtreme2 is not something I will ever understand.

I would really, really be sad to see a SNES X9 visually, but at the same time I'd be happy to see it terms of SFX (I miss the X1/X2 enhanced shot SFX so much...).  But the SNES visuals simply don't work for me for any X game after the first.  The first had simple designs, about on par with Bass.  But the series as a whole tends to go fancier than that, and it really requires a greater level of detail than the style allows.  And as I've said time and time again, the SNES never even displayed Zero's X2 armor properly.  Much less the mess of pixels that was X's armor in X3.  And it wasn't even a hardware limitation, it was simply a style flaw.  The SNES is capable of better, but the X-series sprite style didn't allocate enough room to the body.  Just a big face.

If we had to do a retro style then PS1 would be my preference as well; it is definitely my favorite X-series visual style.  They would need to revamp the physics, though, with a dose of GBC air-dash momentum.  Giving Zero a dashing slash by default wouldn't hurt any, either.

So far as 2.5D goes, I have nothing against the concept (case in point: Smash Bros.), but Capcom has been exceedingly lazy in their application.  Part of why I hate X8's visuals is the art style change, but part of it is also the simple lack of attention to the character models.  I guess they think that since the camera is usually panned away they don't need to bother, but the lack of detail is really noticeable (they didn't even differentiate between character height; the fact that X stands straight makes him appear taller than Zero).  XCM's character models were awesome, and X8 just felt like a step backwards after that.

Ideally, I'd probably like to see the PS1 style reused for an Xtreme3 on the DS, while the main series presents a modern style.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: October 24, 2009, 01:32:26 AM
Your rejection of Xtreme2 is not something I will ever understand.
holy [parasitic bomb], i agree with easily outclassed dash weapon on something.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: October 24, 2009, 01:38:06 AM
Your rejection of Xtreme2 is not something I will ever understand.

LoL, we went over this.  The controls suck.  It's Classic series controls for an X series game, and it sucks! 

holy [parasitic bomb], i agree with easily outclassed dash weapon on something.

Next think you know, you might like [ray splasher]!  8)

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: October 24, 2009, 02:17:34 AM
Maybe the next game should cycle through ALL the styles.  And the story can be "OH NO SPACETIME IS GETTING SCRAMBLED, HELP!"

And you have to collect all of Sigma's bones.

It's Classic series controls for an X series game, and it sucks!
No, that's what makes it GOOD.  Classical controls are always better!

But the SNES visuals simply don't work for me for any X game after the first.
Oh no not this lecture again!  Can't you just let people disagree with you about this?

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: October 24, 2009, 02:19:48 AM
Oh no not this lecture again!  Can't you just let people disagree with you about this?
oh no, he has to be right about every little nitpicky detail, or else he'll pretend to hit you.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: October 24, 2009, 02:25:18 AM
I think Cell Shading really works for the X seires. it worked in X7, and it worked in CM. it gives a smoother feel if done right.
I have to agree with Hypershell's post.
also, Xtreme 2's controls suck? What? They were just fine for me. I mean, there is very little they can do for the dash when there are only A and B with a D pad. plus its better than MM&Bass, which decided to make you have to double tap to  dash, when down + jump works much better.
also, to add to hypershell's post, the SNES had MM&Bass. a game which uses the same exact style as Megaman 8. the only thing that could not advance to the PSX level was the music.

So sure, we can get an Snes X game.
With PSX graphics!

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: October 24, 2009, 02:31:07 AM

But Hypershell is absolutely correct; it doesn't work. Under the same limitations they can produce something much greater than that.

To give an example of what could be done:
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/43694.htm

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: October 24, 2009, 02:34:09 AM
Okay then let's see that game get made!  Yay!

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: October 24, 2009, 02:38:29 AM
But Hypershell is absolutely correct; it doesn't work. Under the same limitations they can produce something much greater than that.

To give an example of what could be done:
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/43694.htm

This link reminded me why I loooooove pixel art. Holy crap I want an X9 like that now. XD

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: October 24, 2009, 02:40:42 AM
Okay then let's see that game get made!  Yay!
I wish.
That's pretty cool actually.

Posted on: October 23, 2009, 08:40:02 PM
This link reminded me why I loooooove pixel art. Holy crap I want an X9 like that now. XD
I know right? it looks really nice. If only... if only...

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: October 24, 2009, 03:45:08 AM
Well, player sprites could stand a few more touch-ups, but yeah it is pretty damn awesome.

"Lecture"?  Trust me, that was the condensed version.  I make a particular effort not to give that "lecture" in full, because right up there with why X5 is so [tornado fang]'d up, it's one of the most common rant-worthy issues to come up.  Particularly relevant to this thread, as well.

It's Classic series controls for an X series game
Given the obvious hardware limitation I don't see how it's getting better than that.  First of all, Classic controls are awesome.  And besides, did Classic have an AIR DASH?!  I think not.  And unlike the PS1 games, GBC did it with proper physics.

Also:
plus its better than MM&Bass
Damn straight it is.  Command Dash is nice as an option (in the absence of a dedicated dash button I mean, which Xtreme2 accommodates as well), but having it as the only possible method blows like all hell.

also, to add to hypershell's post, the SNES had MM&Bass. a game which uses the same exact style as Megaman 8. the only thing that could not advance to the PSX level was the music.
In all fairness RM&F did cut back on framerate, fancy backgrounds, and such.  PS1 basically allows more crap moving on screen and special effects to be happening.  Pretty much the same thing as comparing Zero to ZX.  Except there's also streamed music to consider, although that can go either way.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: October 24, 2009, 03:52:05 AM
Damn straight it is.  Command Dash is nice as an option (in the absence of a dedicated dash button I mean, which Xtreme2 accommodates as well), but having it as the only possible method blows like all hell.
Specially since the GBA has an L and R button they could very well have mapped to the dash for the port.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: October 24, 2009, 03:54:48 AM
Indeed.  For some reason they considered it obligation to use both shoulder buttons for weapon swapping.  Personally I'd have been satisfied with R and Select.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: October 24, 2009, 04:11:55 AM
dunno. I suppose they had their reasons. Mainly since games like 8 and X4 had both of the top shoulder buttons for weapon swapping.
they didnt want to confuse players I guess. I mean, the Zero series only switches between 2 weapons at a time, so it works there, but in games where there are more...

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #39 on: October 24, 2009, 04:21:59 AM
Heck, I never use the shoulder buttons for weapon swapping anyway; I generally do that with the menu screen, and it's otherwise mapped Triangle and Circle (in terms of PSX anyway).  Dashing and Special Weapons tend to function better with the shoulder-button mapping.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: October 24, 2009, 04:46:38 AM
they still could have had an option for Bass.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: October 24, 2009, 05:33:48 AM
First of all, Classic controls are awesome.  And besides, did Classic have an AIR DASH?!  I think not.  And unlike the PS1 games, GBC did it with proper physics.

Classic controls are awesome for CLASSIC series games, not X games.  No dash button = awful for dashing & ESPECIALLY dashing off of walls. It's playing a series with a faster paced control scheme with less buttons, thereby hindering it & slowing it down.  

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: October 24, 2009, 05:56:48 AM
Classic controls are awesome for CLASSIC series games, not X games.  No dash button = awful for dashing & ESPECIALLY dashing off of walls. It's playing a series with a faster paced control scheme with less buttons, thereby hindering it & slowing it down.  

THIS.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: October 24, 2009, 06:05:09 AM
Okay, explain how they can make a dash button in your liking for the Gameboy Color.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: October 24, 2009, 06:22:10 AM
Okay, explain how they can make a dash button in your liking for the Gameboy Color.

-AC

Perhaps you've missed the point of what I said in the last discussion I had over this.  They can't, which is why I think the game sucks.  Myself, I like having a dash button for my X series games.  The Xtreme series is hindered by having an inferior control scheme, or to put it another way, it was a system too early.  I probably would've enjoyed it on the GBA.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: October 24, 2009, 06:25:42 AM
thats a pretty lame reason. Just because of the dashing.
pretty silly actually. When the Game plays just as well as the other X games, only limited by the hardware.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: October 24, 2009, 06:34:00 AM
Dashing is a very important part of X games. It's a very different experience playing an X game without a dash button (or in Xtreme1's case, a well positioned dash button. Select does not work like that). It never got in my way, but I can understand PB's complaint.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: October 24, 2009, 06:41:59 AM
thats a pretty lame reason. Just because of the dashing.
pretty silly actually. When the Game plays just as well as the other X games, only limited by the hardware.

Logically, if a game is limited by the hardware, keyword Limited, it does not play as well as the other X games, due to said hardware being limited.  The control scheme is limited.  Hell, and this is really only for Xtreme 2.  Xtreme 1 is just plain garbage.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: October 24, 2009, 06:56:18 AM
Hey, I never said Xtreme 1. It IS pretty bad. Dash button aside. its also quite plagued by glitches. Did you know that it once went greyscale on me when going through a savepoint? It was so weird. No not even. everything was like white with outlines...

Each to their own opinion, but I just dont agree with you. :P

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: October 24, 2009, 06:59:28 AM
I didn't get that far in Xtreme 1.  After seeing that it was the same parts of X1 & X2, just done horribly and with no dash button, I stopped playing.