Rin · 13347

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
on: October 16, 2009, 10:02:51 AM
Well, I was wondering about something.
Quint, from one of the gameboy games, is just Rockman from the future, stolen by Wily and reprogrammed.

Wouldn't it be an explanation as to what happened to Rokkuman after the Classic series? He wasn't killed(lolcataclysmtheory), but was just taken to the past by Wily.
Unless I'm missing something, it pretty much explains something.

Thoughts?

Offline Fragman

• Made of Metal
  • Robot Master
  • My heart is made of metal
    • View Profile
    • AntiBunny
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 10:14:02 AM
Quint appeared in Megaman 2 for Gameboy.  After the fight he warps away and isn't seen again until Megaman 5 gameboy.  Though that Quint is destroyed, the large number of Quints in capsules outside the boss room may imply that this one was only a copy.  Whether he's a wandering timestream, if he went back to his own time, if he was destroyed or what, we don't know.

Some fans claim he was restored by Dr. Light and sent back to the future.  Since Wily's space fortress which is apparently the time machine its self, isn't destroyed, it's possible that Quint used it to return to his own time, since it isn't ever mentioned again.  I doubt it's how Capcom intends to bridge the gap.  In my own opinion, I think Quint's involvement in the past would give Megaman ample warning, and thus prevent his current timeline from leading to the events that cause him to become Quint.

AntiBunny

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:59:02 AM
In my own opinion, I think Quint's involvement in the past would give Megaman ample warning, and thus prevent his current timeline from leading to the events that cause him to become Quint.
Well, it does kind of make sense, what you are saying.
Bur our blue bomber could be always taken by surprise. It is possible.
Also, take into account how time travel works. If Quint who is Rockman from the future, appeared before Rockman from the past, it would mean that Quint(while still being Rockman) also met himself from the future, at one point in the past.
As long as you do not inflict a Time Paradox, upon the timeline, it just means that the "future you" you met, also once met himself from the future.

Unless we'll go with "Each Time Travel creates an alternate universe" thing. Then probably Quint never met himself from the future.

Jesus. I think I'm overthinking this a bit... oh what the hell. Why not?

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 03:13:48 PM
Quint appeared in Megaman 2 for Gameboy.  After the fight he warps away and isn't seen again until Megaman 5 gameboy.

Quint appeared in Rockboard as well. It's save to say he stuck around after his defeat in World2.

And if you want to count it, Rockman Shadow made a mention of Quint as someone Rock fought in the past. He himself being a robot from the future that was created in Rockman's image, he has no recollection of Quint's return to the future.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 07:25:19 PM
Alternate timelines. In Mega Man, when you fiddle with time, it spins off, just like DBZ & BttF. It's not a time paradox type of thing, & it's not a time facilitated the change all along, like Terminator.

Mega Man most likely just had a time limit on him like the Robot Masters in 9.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 07:28:11 PM
i had a chart of the deloreans jumps through time, but i lost it.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 09:42:52 PM
Mega Man most likely just had a time limit on him like the Robot Masters in 9.

Nonsense. Robots such as Rock are exceptions to the law. It's also wholly likely the law has been turned back by the events of Rockman9.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 10:27:45 PM
Even if it is his ultimate fate to be stuck in a time loop, what of the rest of the cast?

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 10:43:01 PM
auto's chillin out in an underwater dome-house.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 02:28:49 AM
With cable

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 02:58:20 AM
With cable
More like Satellite linkage.
Nonsense. Robots such as Rock are exceptions to the law.
Kinda like how Police/Fire Trucks/Ambulances can ignore traffic regulations.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 07:42:59 AM
Even if it is his ultimate fate to be stuck in a time loop, what of the rest of the cast?
If were talking about Blues (for example), he probably simply stopped functioning, since there was something with his core being unstable or something like that. He even refused to get help from Dr. Light... for some reason.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 08:01:39 AM
I don't think Megaman will ever become Quint.  That's just not how Capcom would end the hero to children everywhere. 

Also, wasn't part of that story that Wily met his future self, who had retired at that point, in order to capture MM?  I dunno if that preculdes future Wily's involvement, but ... yeah.  But if Quint is the Megaman who faced Quint then he'd, similarily, not bother fighting MM because he'd know he'll lose and wind up as scrap (I think the Quint in MM5 was the real deal and not a clone).  All this is food for thought, tho, since there's no way Capcom would let the real MM go out like that.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 12:11:30 PM
Kinda like how Police/Fire Trucks/Ambulances can ignore traffic regulations.

Which we can witness with our own eyes as ignoring those regulations.
Just as much, Rock and Roll still being around when newer robots have expired, shows us that they're not bound to that law; they would have been dead by now.

If were talking about Blues (for example), he probably simply stopped functioning, since there was something with his core being unstable or something like that. He even refused to get help from Dr. Light... for some reason.

Would you let someone you don't trust tamper with your systems? Blues fears losing his individuality if Right ever went and fixed that power system instability.

Also, wasn't part of that story that Wily met his future self, who had retired at that point, in order to capture MM?

Pretty much, that notion is also why the writers for the WS game had Rockman Shadow say that in the future, Wily continued his evil ways, and that Shadow traveled back in time to destroy all the past robots to avoid that from happening. Of course, he lied, the truth is that Wily did not continue his evil ways.

But if Quint is the Megaman who faced Quint then he'd, similarily, not bother fighting MM because he'd know he'll lose and wind up as scrap

And as we all know, Quint dislikes Time Paradoxes (CD database)

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 12:33:05 PM
i had a chart of the deloreans jumps through time, but i lost it.
Don't forget the flaw, when 2015 Biff should have gone to the Biff Land future instead of returning it to where Marty & Doc left it, unless of course both 1985s led into the same 2015. I mean it worked for Gundam, except over a much larger timeframe.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 03:01:11 PM
Eh, but I think Back to the Future had that thing where changes to the timeline progress forward at their own special rate (and probably take even longer to work when they have to follow a time traveler back and make his stuff fade out), so since Biff's return trip was instantaneous, he was able to reach 2015 before the changes did and hang out in the previous version of 2015 for a little while before stuff started changing around him.  You need to believe in something like this to be able to accept Marty and Jennifer traveling forward and meeting themselves in the first place.  But then by the time Marty got home, the changes had already gotten to 1985.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 03:55:05 PM
To bring this discussion back to Rockman, it would seem that by accord of Megaworld, any changes done in the past, indeed take some time to hit the future. When Wily traveled back in time, changes to the timeline were noted by Light, but were slow enough to allow Rockman to travel back himself and undo Wily's.

Applying that to Quint and R-Shadow. Quint's future was gradually changed to become the future of R-Shadow, but with R-Shadow himself traveling back into the past, a new future was again born. As such, the future in which Rock becomes Quint and the future in which R-Shadow destroys the world can both be avoided.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 10:30:26 PM
Wily was a great liar. He never went back in time. He never even showed us his flux capacitor

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 10:36:44 PM
You need to believe in something like this to be able to accept Marty and Jennifer traveling forward and meeting themselves in the first place.
Not true. It could work like Bill & Ted, except it doesn't because BttF is weird, but it could feasibly work that way.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 10:45:00 PM
Could we keep this topic on MEGAMAN, and stp deviating to Back to the Future and B&T?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 11:15:03 PM
Absolutely not

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 11:26:13 PM
The the thread requires a lock, as it apparently is no longer needed for its original purpose.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 12:56:51 AM
I do not think Keno's opinion is a great way to measure relevance.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 07:09:46 AM
I resent that. Time travel is totally relevant to time travel.

Is it assumed that time travel follows the same rules in both timelines, or what? If so, we can take from OSS when it comes out.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 03:49:33 PM
Well, we can't be really sure of anything.
We don't even know exactly how this whole time travel [parasitic bomb] works in RM universe.

And yeah, even tough you guys were talking about TEH TIEM TRAVEL, it was also the talk about BACK TO THE KITCHEN FUTURE. So if you wanna discuss time travel, keep it ROKKUMAN related, k?