Reply #150 on: October 31, 2011, 01:03:07 PM
Citizen Kane syndrome?

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #151 on: November 01, 2011, 01:14:04 AM
Is it visually disturbing? Or just the plot? All I ever liked in Higurashi was the girls, but the plot seemed to suffer from Citizen Kane syndrome and was horribly uninteresting/a waster of time.

Also, is there any fan service?

PS: Note to self: Make sure you actually write the reply AFTER the quote next time.
From what very small tidbits I accidentally read on TV Tropes and screenshots from Google when I first heard of the game's title (this is why I stress NOT to look the game on Google or TV Tropes), it is. Here's a scenario that happened to me the other day when I got an ending around getting 10,000/20,000 pts...

[spoiler=Irisu Syndrome Ending]After getting 10,000/20,000 pts, instead of Ageha pondering where everyone went (everyone else went missing over the course of 3 days it seems), Ageha found these notes and a photo of the Edo, Uuji, and herself -- The very same notes and photos the player unlocks over the course of the game. As she was looking through the notes and photo, the killer literally appeared from left side of my screen and slowly approaches Ageha with a bloodied weapon. This scared the crap outta me, despite already seeing it by accident on YouTube. Ageha turns her head to the bizarre presence behind her, the killer attacks her, and the game closes itself. I immediately started the game again, and all of the sudden...

H A P P Y  B I R T H D A Y

It turns out that Edogawa, Uuji, and Irisu snuck up behind her to wish her a happy birthday since it apparently was her birthday. But my instincts are telling me, "Naw, this ain't right. Either the birthday thing was a near-death experience/hallucination or the murderer appearing to kill her was a dream. All I know is that I must press on and score more points to figure out the truth."[/spoiler]

Also, no fanservice; strictly a serious plot.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #152 on: November 01, 2011, 01:23:34 AM
Seems less like a game and more like an interactive Novel. Oh well, to each their own.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #153 on: January 30, 2012, 01:26:25 AM
I did not know that Mike Inel makes freeware games. Yes, same guy behind these console-tans and had a hand on Katawa Shojou's English release. Speaking of which, the English version of Katawa Shojou is out, which does have adult material, but you can censor that out. I'm starting to like this visual novel, wished I had PC freedom to actually play it. :chant:

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #154 on: February 09, 2012, 05:51:15 PM

Offline Superjustinbros

• It's me.
  • Resistance Member
  • Something
    • View Profile
    • Super Justin: The Blog
Reply #155 on: February 11, 2012, 05:37:43 PM
http://www.explodingrabbit.com/games/super-mario-bros-crossover
SMBC 2.0 came out!

You know I was just about to make a post on SMBC with Wily. Looks like you beat me to it. :P

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #156 on: February 13, 2012, 03:40:50 AM
This is a game made by students at Full Sail University over the course of five months. You will need to install Desura to get the game from their service though (from the looks of it, it's kinda like Steam). You can sign up to Desura and get the game here.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
-EDIT-
Au Sable and All of Our Friends Are Dead are rather creepy platforming horror games that will [tornado fang] with your head and you can get them here.

* I might update/edit this post.

Posted on: April 02, 2012, 05:59:13 PM
This is just like Portal's legitimate free offer last year but at Good Old Games (a digital distribution website where you can purchase very old PC games optimized for today's computers at [mostly] inexpensive prices). Get it now at Good Old Games before this offer ends!

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #159 on: June 01, 2012, 04:38:35 AM
Poacher - A retro-style Metroidvania game from Yahtzee Croshaw starring a big-nosed Yorkshireman with a shotgun. Good fun. Keep in mind there are three endings, the best of which has a secret boss that you'll only see if you're a man of PURE VIRTUE.

Also check out Trilby: The Art of Theft. Excellent little espionage action game and prequel to 5 Days a Stranger.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #160 on: October 19, 2012, 10:02:50 PM
Surprised no one mentioned Hydra Castle Labyrinth. Also here's the (rough) English patch for it.

Posted on: July 16, 2012, 09:05:38 PM
Since Halloween is just about 2 weeks away, might I suggest some horror games? Screenshot dumps ahoy!

the white chamber

Release date: March 30th, 2005
Developer: Studio Trophis
Version: v1.7
Genre: Adventure > Sci-Fi Horror
Content: Violence, Blood and Gore, Strong Language

A point-and-click adventure game about an amnesiac girl who wakes up in a strange coffin aboard an abandoned space station. In her search to find herself, she finds out there's something dark, twisted, and evil going through the hollowed halls. Yes, it has an wannabe art-style (if not Yu-Gi-Oh!-esque) -- done by British indie developers no less -- but the game provides a very ambient and foreboding atmosphere that can suck you in the suspense, and gives off this Silent Hill meets Dead Space vibe as you find out what is going on in the space station. The English voice acting though is rather shoddy (they do have a German voice setting though) and I'm not sure if this was done intentionally bad to like a badly dubbed anime or if the staffers have shoddy voice actors. The game has multiple endings, depending out you handle certain situations.

Download the white chamber (the original soundtrack is also free)
Ib

Release date: February 27th, 2012
Developer: kouri
Version: v1.02
Genre: 2D > Adventure > Surreal-horror
Content: Blood (and Gore?)

Ib (pronounced "Eeb," similar to “Eve”) is a recently (by 2012) released game by kouri made with RPG Maker 2000, the same engine used for Yume Nikki and a bunch of other games. The story is about a young girl and her parents going to an art museum to observe the artworks of a surrealism artist known as Guertena featured at the museum. When Ib took a look at some of the artist's work, surprise-surprise, weird (and creepy) begins to happen with your parents are nowhere to be found. The strange phenomenon that is occurring all around Ib is somehow linked to Guertena's work. The game focuses on puzzle-solving and exploring through the bizarre corridors and hallways as try to avoid your untimely demise in the twisted museum.

Download Ib (Note: The site has an Ending Guide, but I don't recommend looking at it unless you want to spoil the endings yourself)
Slender: The Eight Pages

Release date: N/A
Developer: Parsect Productions
Version: v9.7 (beta as of writing)
Genre: 3D > First-person Survival Horror

An indie game based on The Slender Man Mythos, you play as an ordinary person who was unfortunate enough to be all alone in the woods, with only a flashlight and a camcorder, trying to recover the eight pages of Alex Krailie's notebook. There's no doubt that the game will induce paranoia and suspense as you wander the abandon and empty woods trying to find the pages of the notebook while trying to escape from Slender Man, who becomes aggressively more persistent in hunting you down as you recover more pages. Very chilling stuff.

Download Slender: The Eight Pages
Eversion

Release date: 2009
Developer: Zaratustra
Version: v1.7.3. (new version with original music) | v1.5.2. (old version with music from Cocoron)
Genre: 2D > Platforming > Puzzle-platforming
Content: Mild Cartoon Violence

This game is so surgery sweet that it is disturbing. You play as Zee-tee who must save Princess Nehema from the Ghulibas of the north in this retro-styled platformer. It plays sorta like Super Mario Bros. but the twist here is Zee-tee's ability to warp reality to overcome that may come in his way. Along the way, you must collect all the gems scattered through the levels to get to the super happy ending. There's also (third-party) a level-editor that for the game that let's you create your own levels. For $5 on Steam, you get the HD verison with remixed music, updated graphics, and a super special ending. Hurry, the Princess of the Flower Kingdom needs to be rescued!

Download Eversion (Free version)

Have fun!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 05:48:58 AM by ViperAcidZX »

Offline Superjustinbros

• It's me.
  • Resistance Member
  • Something
    • View Profile
Reply #161 on: October 20, 2012, 06:00:35 AM
Just felt like mentioning I found out on the white chamber last night.

Also: FegaMan vs. the World, an insane Rockman clone. It may not be horror themed, but it's still something.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #162 on: December 12, 2012, 11:33:53 PM
You have until the December 17th to snag your free (and legit) copy of Metro 2033. All you gotta do is "Like" thier Facebook page and get your redeemable code! And because this guy is awesome at finding free gems on the interwebs...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2lR_WbguZE&hd=1[/youtube]

Offline Superjustinbros

• It's me.
  • Resistance Member
  • Something
    • View Profile
Reply #163 on: December 24, 2012, 03:02:35 AM
Mega Man's Christmas Carol 2. Uncertain if it was brought up already, but it's a Christmas-themed RockMan fangame with only bosses. I Buster-only'd all the main bosses (only used one E-Tank on Ignorance) on Normal difficulty.

Link: http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/files/Game/ChristmasCarol2011

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #164 on: December 24, 2012, 03:23:12 AM
*dances around*  I did (most of) the music for that game, yayayayaaay!

*ahem*  So anyway, now for "the greatest space adventure there are [sic]".  No, it's not Star Wars.  It's not Star Trek, either.  It's a PC game, Star Control II!

It really, really is the greatest space adventure ever.  Action, drama, loads of comedy... great music, awesome gameplay, mineral resource collections, space combat, diplomacy...  This game has just about everything!

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #165 on: December 26, 2012, 06:37:14 AM
If you haven't checked Xbox LIVE today (or at least at time I'm posting this), The Walking Dead: Episode 1 is being given out for FREE on XBLA while it lasts.

-EDIT-
Thanks to TrueAchievements, confirmed give away will last until December 31st.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #166 on: December 26, 2012, 01:50:05 PM
Wasn't episode 1 always free?

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #167 on: December 26, 2012, 05:36:10 PM
No, Episode 1 (and the other four) is normally sold at 400 MSP / $5.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #168 on: December 26, 2012, 08:49:46 PM
Also on the 28th, the DLC episodes will (probably?) have a half price cut, from 400 MSP each, down to 200 MSP each, which is a great time to add this whole set of Walking Dead episodes to your collection. :cookie:

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #169 on: December 27, 2012, 01:34:13 AM
Also on the 28th, the DLC episodes will (probably?) have a half price cut, from 400 MSP each, down to 200 MSP each, which is a great time to add this whole set of Walking Dead episodes to your collection. :cookie:
Too bad I won't have any money to buy them all after getting Scott Pilgrim and Hell Yeah!... :(

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #170 on: December 28, 2012, 10:12:39 PM
I love this thread. Keep posting dat freeware. Here's a wild wacky one for y'all:

http://www.oldspicesavestheworld.com/

It's as hilarious and classy as it sounds.

Not sure if I mentioned this game on here yet, but it's also amazing. Props for using a tune from Descent at one point--one of the few exciting ones at that:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTTXrdG6o_M[/youtube]

Note about the ending & certain easter eggs: don't let it get to you, and don't read too much into it. As far as I'm concerned, it's all in good fun (if a little shocking to the unawares).

Other than that, it's damn near the most inventive and well-made Sonic fangame I've ever played.

EDIT: Okay, two more Sonic games:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDXcRmiL810&list=UUhLdE0HBH5i6Zzt7TJ6qqWg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2jzJn9qY6U&list=UUhLdE0HBH5i6Zzt7TJ6qqWg[/youtube]

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #171 on: January 09, 2013, 08:44:52 PM
(Don't think I've ever posted in this thread...)

If anyone here is a PS+ member, PSN has both Megaman 9 and 10 for free. Although most of you probably have them by now, just thought I'd give a heads-up.

If that's true, that is an insanely good deal. The Walking Dead is one hell of a series.

Offline Suppercut ♡

• Toaster Catgirl Sniper
  • Neo Arcadian
  • something something All Limiters Released
    • View Profile
    • Ironically Opressing Oppression
Reply #172 on: January 17, 2013, 02:09:35 AM
Anybody checked out Super Crate Box? I got it on the iPod (not free, but PC version is free) and it took me almost a year to actually legitimately get tired of it.

Oh, and is oldspicesavestheworld still active? I missed the last week-game-thing.

EDIT: Guess not, aww. I missed their anti-Twilight game. Hell, I wanted to base a fangame campaign off of it for shits and giggles.

what

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #173 on: June 06, 2013, 01:13:36 AM
Did anyone mentioned Rockman 8 FC yet? If not, you can find it here (v3.12b is the latest as of writing). We also got a PC remaking of Knightmare II: The Maze of Galious (a.k.a. the game that inspired La-Mulana) from the MSX days in freeware PC form, the shoot 'em up crossover GuwangeRugaDaioujou XII: Kizuna Down (v0.99 is the last know version before it got C&D by Cave if I recall correctly), Igneous (you might need a decent video card for this game), and Octodad (same deal wtih Igneous).

Posted on: January 18, 2013, 11:31:50 PM
-EDITED-
It's been a while since I (or anyone) posted here, so let's get crackin'.

First up is a bit of old news, but Cry of Fear is officially freeware on Steam. No need to buy Half-Life 1 and mod the game anymore, just download and play (if your PC can handle Half-Life 1 to begin with).

And since Christmas is six months away, let's hop in with a bit of ass-kicking holiday cheer! 8D

Garden Gnome Carnage

Release date: December 13th, 2007 (Ver.4)
Developer: Daniel Remar
Genre: Arcade plus I have effin' idea
Content: Comic Mischief

"Don't ask why, ask 'why not?'"

Simply put: you're a garden gnome who's fed up with Christmas elves that are constantly dropping unwanted presents in your chimney. You strap yourself to a bungee cord to your house, rig your house with motorized wheels, and out to teach those pesky elves what for by hurling bricks at them or fling yourself right into them.

Download Garden Gnome Carnage

Hyper Princess Pitch

Release date: January 28th, 2012 (Ver.1.2)
Genre: Arcade, Action, Shoot 'em Up
Content: Cartoon Violence

A spin-off game of Garden Gnome Carnage, you play as Princess Pitch in this homage to the old DOS game Operation: Carnage as you blast your way through Mecha Santa's factory to stop him from spreading happiness all throughout the world. Explosions and hijinks ensues.

Download Hyper Princess Pitch

Iji

Release date: March 11th, 2010 (Ver.1.6)
Genre: Action-Adventure, Metroidvania
Content: Violence, Mild Language

Now changing gears, Iji is a 2D action-adventure game that puts you in the role of the game's titular heroine as she finds her trapped within a complex being taken over by alien invaders known as the Tasen. Some consider this as "the 2D System Shock" as the game feature RPG elements that lets you decide how you want to develop Iji's skills and abilities, such as hacking, weapon proficiency, and your overall strength. There is also a moral aspect that comes into play that can impacts the story, whether if you decide to take down the Tasen in cold blood, or take the pacifist approach and work something out without resorting to violence.

Download Iji

Check out Daniel Remar's other games at http://www.remar.se/daniel/games.php.

Slayin'

Developer: Pixel Licker Games
Version: v1.144
Genre: Arcade
Content: Mild Fantasy Violence

This is a simple score-attack game where you can play as a Knight, Mage, or Knave (I'm guessing "Thief") where you can fight off hoards of enemies, dodge the their attacks, and take down the boss at the end of each level. Along the way, you collect gold that can be used to purchase weapons, armor, and upgrades to your abilities.

Download Slayin' (there is also an arena shooter called Pumpkin Patch available at the link; Knightly is still a work-in-progress)

AlterEgo

Release date: December 11th, 2011 (Ver.1.0)
Developer: Retro Souls
Version: v1.0 (PC)
Genre: Puzzle-platformer

This a puzzle-platformer where you must collect the items scattered through the levels and avoid enemies. However, the twist here is that you control a character who can swap out with his phantom double that mirrors your every move and there's a limited number of times you can do this, depending on the level. The download also has a NES and ZX-Spectrum version included if you use emulators, but if you just want the PC version, there's a mirror below for that. The PC version is also based on the Windows Phone 7 build of the game.

Download Alter Ego | PC-only mirror

The Chaste Full-metal Maiden -Leiria- & Leiria -Stargazer-

Release date: 2009 (-Leiria-) / 2011 (-Stargazer-)
Developer: NonLinear
Version: v1.01 (-Leiria-) / v1.12 (-Stargazer-)
Genre: Shoot 'em Up, Bullet Hell
Content: Mild Violence

Here are two CAVE-esque shooters that were once retail doujin games that have became officially freeware (I wish more doujin developers do this when their old games if it's not being sold anywhere); Leiria plays sorta like Ketsui as there is a proximity-based scoring system involved whereas Stargazer -- a remake of The Chaste Full-metal Maiden -Leiria- -- plays more akin to Espgaluda.

Download The Chaste Full-metal Maiden -Leiria- (click v1.01) | (mirror coming up soon)
Leiria -Stargazer- (click the button on the page image) | (mirror coming up soon)

I think these should make up for the last couple of months.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #174 on: June 06, 2013, 01:34:28 AM
wow

you put your heart and soul into these posts