Official RPM Computer & Electronics Discussion Thread

Jericho · 39504

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: October 12, 2012, 06:10:58 AM
Ok RPM. I want some consultation here. I'm gonna custom a computer.

what do you think of this:

[spoiler]

ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
$149.99 + 2 Year warranty $24.99 (+ Mail in rebate -$20.00)

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K  
$229.99 + 2 Year warranty 29.99 (+ Mail in rebate -$20.00)

Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$119.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM
$89.99

LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM
$19.99

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
$15.99

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
$109.99

other stuff-

Dell E2011H 20" 1600 x 900 5ms LED BackLight Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 1000:1
$99.99

Logitech X-140 5 watts 2.0 Speakers
$27.99

Aerocool Syclone II Black Edition Mid Tower Case (Tiger Direct.com)
$109.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium GFC-02050 Operating System Software - 64bit, DVD (Tigerdirect.com)
[/spoiler]

I'm looking to try and cut down the price a bit. First things first, i'm seeing if I can find a good quality 1TB Hard Drive for under 100 bucks, as opposed to a 2TB drive. Ive seen a few, but all the ones i've seen seem to have, despite good ratings overall, mixed reviews as far as reliability.

Any suggestions? Im open to suggestions on the rest too. (like the monitor)

BTW- all that is from Newegg.com, minus the tower and OS, which are Tigerdirect.com.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: October 12, 2012, 06:26:57 AM
Can anyone tell me the best TV card? I want a coax port on the back of a tower. It's been my lifelong dream.

You should make room for the TV card we'll be getting. Trust me, Fire Man, it'll be awesome.

Posted on: October 12, 2012, 04:20:21 AM
Maaaan what the [tornado fang] this is some bullshit

Posted on: October 12, 2012, 04:25:14 AM
Whoa Tiger Direct is the [parasitic bomb]

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: October 13, 2012, 04:30:22 AM
Okay, new build. This one more economically feasible for me.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20544825

(list doesnt take into account the $109.99 case or a monitor)

I'm now open to suggestions on a cheaper graphics card which can still offer me good performance with my games. Consider possibly the highest graphically intense game I'll be playing (as of right now anyway) is League of Legends, with Dragon Nest at a close second.

which look, respectively- like this

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CDDsMSssm8Q/T7HMfCismFI/AAAAAAAABpw/DdjOvFCF8CE/s1600/Screen01.png

and this

https://icesabel.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/dn-2012-06-04-22-51-33-mon.jpg

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: October 14, 2012, 05:43:32 PM
Why not just use your old case? You should put the most money into your motherboard. You don't wanna have to replace that for a long long time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: October 15, 2012, 08:38:34 AM
I don't have another case. I've had a laptop for about 3 or so years since my last PC died. (R.I.P Hard Drive. I knew ye well)

And that PC was kinda old.

Either way, I've remade the list, and got something im satisfied with.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20544825

I really should probably ditch that fan and get a cheaper one, but I dunno. I just wanted to get the same kind of fan as the other two in the case... (from the same company. Im rethinking it now though. their fans are kinda overpriced.)

Unfortunately, the final FINAL cost, with the shipping for some of the Newegg items, and for the TigerDirect items, (the case, a headset) brings it up a sum. But i've skimped as much as im willing to go on the major hardware. I kinda want to try that "30 day free trial" of whatever free shipping service that is it says im eligible to try. I would have to cut it immediately after it ships my [parasitic bomb] or something as to not let it expire naturally, since once the 30 day trial ends, they charge you the monthly fee of like, 79 bucks. Im wondering if they might not just try and double cross me though, and use vague wording to charge me even if I cancel, which they say im also able to do at any time...

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: October 15, 2012, 05:07:05 PM
I don't think other people can view your wishlist.

You can always skip or downgrade a part and replace it later. Just make sure the motherboard is top of the line.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: October 15, 2012, 05:26:17 PM
Fixed the link.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: October 16, 2012, 12:20:00 AM
If you get a TV card you don't need a monitor. If you're trying to shave dollars off, it's not a half bad idea.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: October 16, 2012, 09:27:00 PM
Umm, no.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: October 17, 2012, 05:05:03 AM
But you can tape browsing RPM onto DVR or VHS and watch it later

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: October 17, 2012, 05:19:47 AM
But you can tape browsing RPM onto DVR or VHS and watch it later
...Why would you want to watch a cursor point and click at the links you did in the past?  Anyway I looked up this TV card thing and that's not how it works, it makes a computer able to catch a signal from TVs so that you can view TV programs and possibly record them, it doesn't allow a TV to work as a computer.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: October 17, 2012, 05:59:11 AM
Either way, I bought the parts today. I also got a nice surprise when I saw that starting today apparently, the motherboard I'm buying comes with 2 free sticks of 4Gig ram. (8 total) SO how about that. I probably still wont install more than the 8, (or maybe 12, I'm thinkin' bout it) but I also found the shipping was cheaper than it previously told me. Which was weird, but I'm not complaining.

Either way, for now it's a waiting game till it all gets here.

Speaking of Games, I found Blazblue CS Extend for like, 16 bucks and got that too.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: October 17, 2012, 06:19:51 PM
...Why would you want to watch a cursor point and click at the links you did in the past?  Anyway I looked up this TV card thing and that's not how it works, it makes a computer able to catch a signal from TVs so that you can view TV programs and possibly record them, it doesn't allow a TV to work as a computer.
I dunno, why do people print topics? I'm pretty sure the ones with 2 coax ports are not both input.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: October 25, 2012, 05:05:12 PM
Consultation time.

So I got a free 8 gigs of ram with my motherboard. (2x4)

Now. On one hand, [tornado fang] yeah, more ram.

On the other, 8 gigs is more than enough and ill never need 16 gigsn

Opinions?

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #64 on: October 25, 2012, 06:15:53 PM
On what? Yeah, 8 GB should be plenty, at least until the next (useful) Windows version.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: October 25, 2012, 06:22:59 PM
To clarify, I already have 8 installed

Offline Karai

• with RICE
  • B-Class Hunter
  • (not) Missing in Action
    • View Profile
    • My stuff & HI SKORS
Reply #66 on: October 25, 2012, 06:48:26 PM
Unless you use some very pro software, and run, like, 5 at once, that amount of RAM won't even be allocated.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: October 25, 2012, 07:17:47 PM
Yeah, I thought so.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: October 31, 2012, 01:43:54 PM
The more RAM the better. It'll help future proof things. Also turn off/minimize your page file if you have that much RAM. I have 18GB of RAM currently, though I do use things that would actually make a dent in it. You could also allocate some of that to a RAM drive if you feel like doing some advanced stuff. Not that it has much practical use for a basic home user. It's an interesting alternative to SSDs for Minecraft servers though.

RAM these days is pretty cheap, and even more so if you watch the deals like on Newegg. I saw 24GB for 120$.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #69 on: October 31, 2012, 10:15:21 PM
I suppose you might want to get a balance between size and other things like speed though?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: June 12, 2013, 07:06:35 AM
So I'm planning on buying a new GPU soon, since mine is messed up. I already sent it in once, got it back 'repaired" sent it in AGAIN, got a new one, and the new one has issues too. So [tornado fang] this one.

I have an AMD Radeon HD 7870OC from Gigabyte, though I haven't touched the OC stuff.

What's a good reliable card I can get that's on the same page more or less? I'd prefer to keep the price under $400, $500 as a stretch.