4Kids Stops Streaming Japanese Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

Flame · 3473

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
The North American licensing and distribution company 4Kids has confirmed that it had to stop streaming all episodes of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters anime with Japanese-language dialogue on the YouTube website. According to 4Kids, "these Japanese-language episodes will not be seen in any format (online, DVDs, VOD, etc.) moving forward" due to a rights issue in Japan. The American version of the same series, which was known in English simply as Yu-Gi-Oh!, is still available.

4Kids did announce that it will stream the unedited Japanese-language episodes of Sonic X with English subtitles on the Hulu website "in the coming weeks." Similarly, it will add the unedited Japanese-language episodes (with English subtitles) and English-language episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's on YouTube this fall. Yu-Gi-Oh! GX will follow in Japanese with English subtitles. The company says that Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters' rights issue does not affect the English-language versions of that series or its other current series.

4Kids began streaming the Japanese episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters this past March. It then streamed an English-subtitled preview clip of Sonic X in July.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-08-22/4kids-stops-streaming-japanese-yu-gi-oh-duel-monsters

Ok, honestly... who DIDN'T see this coming? ::)

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 10:41:21 PM
Well, thats a shame. On the plus side, unedited Sonic X doesn't sound so bad...

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 10:43:35 PM
You know what's weird?  I just noticed this show was on the YouTube Shows list yesterday.  Then I thought, "Hmm, maybe I'll check that out later..."  But no, this comes along just in time to crush that hope.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 11:58:04 PM
Couldn't this be posted in the already existing YGO topic? I suggest a merge.

Anyway, this is something that was expected. Tough it seems like they will be streamin' dem Sonic X episodes unedited.

But I tell you something. Who the [tornado fang] cares? You can get those episodes in much better quality than this youtube [parasitic bomb], also subtitled. Same goes for the rest "uncut" shows they will air, tough I guess some American brats who don't know how to operate DA INTARWEBZ will be happy.

: /

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 12:09:03 AM
Anyway, this is something that was expected. Tough it seems like they will be streamin' dem Sonic X episodes unedited.

But I tell you something. Who the [tornado fang] cares? You can get those episodes in much better quality than this youtube [parasitic bomb], also subtitled.

Uhh... Sonic X is going to be put on Hulu, you know that right?

But anyway, the idea of them having copyright issues doesn't surprise me really. Maybe its the reason they're being put up for sale. :\

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 12:26:03 AM
I never forgave them for removing Live and Learn from Sonic X's Finalhazard fight.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 12:43:28 AM
......  :\

And I've already seen most of the unedited Sonic X episodes through a dubbing site, let alone BOMBERMAN JETTERS. Besides, two words: Anime. Kraze.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 01:45:07 AM
Well, thats a shame. On the plus side, unedited Sonic X doesn't sound so bad...

but unedited Sonic X does sound "bad"...

..and he looks "bad" to! [eyebrow]

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 02:58:23 AM
While I don't doubt they'd stop streaming them, the question is WHY? Licensing issues? REALLY?! Is the whole legality of the situation THAT nitpicky about it? Does 4Kids ONLY have the rights to air the edited version that they themselves made? And if this is about the original series, is the company THAT bitchy about it? The whole series is out on DVD if I recall in the original Japanese language.

Screw it, business' is a tricky [sonic slicer] :\

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 03:02:32 AM
and yet GX and 5D's dont seem to be affected by this issue, only the original.
Who knows.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 03:05:50 AM
and yet GX and 5D's dont seem to be affected by this issue, only the original.
Who knows.

I'd give it less than a month before something happens to one of those two.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 03:41:49 AM
Uhh... Sonic X is going to be put on Hulu, you know that right?

But anyway, the idea of them having copyright issues doesn't surprise me really. Maybe its the reason they're being put up for sale. :\
Oh, [parasitic bomb].

Well, it's still [tornado fang]ing streaming.