Official Avatar: The Last Airbender Thread - MY CABBAGES!

Irgendein · 56734

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #150 on: July 20, 2013, 06:18:06 AM
Yeah, I watched this before I left for work this afternoon.

Cannot [tornado fang]ing wait.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #151 on: August 15, 2013, 10:22:46 PM

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #152 on: September 09, 2013, 07:09:14 PM
NEW KORRA THIS FRIDAY!!!!!

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #153 on: September 10, 2013, 11:13:33 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B3ARCk0-pI[/youtube]

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #154 on: September 11, 2013, 12:57:18 AM
Ooooooh boy!

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #155 on: September 11, 2013, 06:08:18 AM
I don't get this show. Why is it called "AVATAR" if there's NO [tornado fang]ing NA'VI?!

Shitty cashgrabs ruining my favorite movie of all time.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #156 on: September 11, 2013, 06:11:55 AM
Avatar: The Last Airbender first aired in 2005.

James Cameron's Avatar movie premiered in 2009.

Strange timing for the former to be a cashgrab of the latter...
yes i know you're trolling, just wanted to have some fun with LOGIC and THE PERPETUALLY FORWARD MOVING PASSING OF EVENTS WE CALL TIME

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #157 on: September 11, 2013, 06:20:16 AM
Avatar: The Last Airbender first aired in 2005.

James Cameron's Avatar movie premiered in 2009.

Strange timing for the former to be a cashgrab of the latter...
WHAT
SO THEN... IF THE CARTOON WAS FIRST... THEN WHO WAS NA'VI?! WHY ARE THEY IN THE MOVIE?!

MY BRAIN HURTS!

Okay. Seriously now.
I don't give a crap about Avatar the Last Skirtlifter but I've been interested in Korra to some extend for some time.
But then I heard that the first season was plagued by horrible problems such as the ending sucking and stuff.

Is it true? Should I bother to watch it? Or should I wait and see if at least this new season will be better than the SUPPOSEDLY mediocre first one? Because you know, if I am to suffer a bad first season, I want to at least know if the second will redeem it.
It's kinda like the Justice League S1 and beyond deal.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #158 on: September 11, 2013, 06:25:56 AM
Actually, the ending of Book 1 of Korra makes perfect sense; it only sucks to those who don't pay attention to the actual belief the ending was based off of.

Seriously, I've shown people who thought the ending was some bullshit deus ex machina that belief that explains EVERYTHING, and they ignored it. Guess some people are happier being mad at something instead of understanding it.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #159 on: September 11, 2013, 06:37:13 AM
The main complaint about the ending from most people is that it felt rushed. And it possibly was due to the fact that at the time of making it, they had no clue whether or not there would be a 2nd season.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #160 on: September 11, 2013, 06:41:28 AM
WHAT
SO THEN... IF THE CARTOON WAS FIRST... THEN WHO WAS NA'VI?! WHY ARE THEY IN THE MOVIE?!

MY BRAIN HURTS!

Okay. Seriously now.
I don't give a crap about Avatar the Last Skirtlifter but I've been interested in Korra to some extend for some time.
But then I heard that the first season was plagued by horrible problems such as the ending sucking and stuff.

Is it true? Should I bother to watch it? Or should I wait and see if at least this new season will be better than the SUPPOSEDLY mediocre first one? Because you know, if I am to suffer a bad first season, I want to at least know if the second will redeem it.
It's kinda like the Justice League S1 and beyond deal.

If you didn't like The Last Airbender, I fail to see how Korra would be any different.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #161 on: September 11, 2013, 06:47:59 AM
If you didn't like The Last Airbender, I fail to see how Korra would be any different.
Because it looks more mature? Plus there's a masked villain, I love me sum masked villains.
Besides, I never said I didn't like Skirtlifter.
I merely said I don't care about it.

I am however familiar with some basics about the characters and such.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #162 on: September 11, 2013, 06:51:56 AM
Honestly Tron, if you have the chance I'd give the original series a try. It makes Korra that much better (especially in one particular episode). Team Avatar is just hilarious together.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #163 on: September 11, 2013, 06:56:13 AM
Honestly Tron, if you have the chance I'd give the original series a try. It makes Korra that much better (especially in one particular episode). Team Avatar is just hilarious together.
I could try it.

After all this series builds upon lore established in the Last Airbender.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #164 on: September 11, 2013, 06:59:53 AM
Because it looks more mature?

It seems that way, doesn't it? But it's not.

Yeah, The Last Airbender starts out kinda silly, but as the books/seasons go on, the content becomes pretty dark (Blood Bending, as one example). Content I don't think I've ever seen in a Nickelodeon show.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #165 on: September 11, 2013, 11:11:05 AM
Plus, it's worth watching just for Toph.

Seriously.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #166 on: September 15, 2013, 05:53:05 AM
Plus, it's worth watching just for Toph.

Seriously.

I wholeheartedly agree~

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #167 on: September 23, 2013, 07:21:18 PM
SPACE SWORD!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DITY1WzbLj8[/youtube]

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #168 on: September 23, 2013, 10:34:47 PM
MY CACTUS JUICE!!

also that was awesome

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #169 on: September 28, 2013, 09:13:49 AM
The main complaint about the ending from most people is that it felt rushed. And it possibly was due to the fact that at the time of making it, they had no clue whether or not there would be a 2nd season.

Pretty much this. Amon was the one of the most badass, hyped up villain in recent memory. And Korra wins with...a simple airbending pushkick? I'm not even convinced she should've learned it, I never got the sense that Korra was understanding the philosophy of airbending. I would've been 100% okay if they made Korra overcome the bloodbending with her avatar state like Aang did. But nah, make her win through her usual forceful methods that conveniently work now. Not only that, but I STILL side by Amon's nonbender rebellion (partially of course). Korra didn't do anything to solve the problem of bender vs nonbender inequality, all she did was reveal that their leader was a hypocrite. It was a total rush job that failed to deliver.

Season 2... ugh. I was fine with Korra as the main in Season 1, despite her black-and-white mentality that persists all the time to create needless drama. Season 2 amplifies that to new levels of stupidity, and it's hardly taken off.

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #170 on: September 28, 2013, 09:29:19 AM
It wasn't just that Amon was a hypocrite. It was that he was trying to control the city and get rid of the benders so he would be the most powerful. He was following in his father's footsteps. As for Season 2, there's a good chance they go back to the Equalists as well, but right now I'm enjoying where they are going immensely.

What I like about Korra is that she is not Aang. She's the opposite, and while her brashness and being headstrong seems stupid, it leads to a different kind of character growth for her. Aang's growth came from the fact that he never wanted to be the Avatar and that he had to master all the other three elements. Korra loves that she's the avatar. She's already learned all the elements. Her growth is that she has to mature AS the Avatar, not grow into it. She actually has to connect more with the spiritual aspect of being the Avatar, grow out of her black & white mentality, and so far they are setting it up nicely with what has gone on.

Plus, the new support characters are [tornado fang]ing awesome. I love learning more about Tenzin's bro & sis. I love Varrick. I LOOOVE the Twins. So far, I'm hooked.

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #171 on: September 28, 2013, 09:52:04 AM
It wasn't just that Amon was a hypocrite. It was that he was trying to control the city and get rid of the benders so he would be the most powerful. He was following in his father's footsteps. As for Season 2, there's a good chance they go back to the Equalists as well, but right now I'm enjoying where they are going immensely.
The thing is, you're focusing on Amon rather than the Equalist movement itself. The movement highlights the imbalance of power between nonbenders and benders. While it's a problem without an easy solution, and the Equalists were rather extreme about their methods, I really think Korra should've at least <i>resolved</i> it through a speech or something.

I was also kind of hoping Mako would become an Equalist. He practically shares the same backstory as Amon's made up one. Would've led to a very interesting conflict of ideals.

What I like about Korra is that she is not Aang. She's the opposite, and while her brashness and being headstrong seems stupid, it leads to a different kind of character growth for her. Aang's growth came from the fact that he never wanted to be the Avatar and that he had to master all the other three elements. Korra loves that she's the avatar. She's already learned all the elements. Her growth is that she has to mature AS the Avatar, not grow into it. She actually has to connect more with the spiritual aspect of being the Avatar, grow out of her black & white mentality, and so far they are setting it up nicely with what has gone on.

Plus, the new support characters are [tornado fang]ing awesome. I love learning more about Tenzin's bro & sis. I love Varrick. I LOOOVE the Twins. So far, I'm hooked.
I would agree this with if I actually felt the growth of Korra was convincing. To be fair, they didn't know whether a Season 2 would exist in the first place, so Korra undergoes an unfortunate character retrogression.

For now though, I'm waiting for the war to happen and the stakes to rise. Tarrlok version 2 makes for a strange, somewhat redundant antagonist, but you take what you can get.

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #172 on: September 28, 2013, 10:07:55 AM
The thing is, you're focusing on Amon rather than the Equalist movement itself. The movement highlights the imbalance of power between nonbenders and benders. While it's a problem without an easy solution, and the Equalists were rather extreme about their methods, I really think Korra should've at least <i>resolved</i> it through a speech or something.

I was also kind of hoping Mako would become an Equalist. He practically shares the same backstory as Amon's made up one. Would've led to a very interesting conflict of ideals.

Oh I understand the Equalist movement entirely. I was more responding to the fact that Amon wasn't a hypocrite, as much as a great villain. I agree that the resolution could've been better, but yeah time constraints. But one thing it did show overall was that the Equalists had the power of technology on their side to put them almost on equal par with benders. Season 2 could follow up with that. It's one reason why I think Varrick was introduced in the first place.

I would agree this with if I actually felt the growth of Korra was convincing. To be fair, they didn't know whether a Season 2 would exist in the first place, so Korra undergoes an unfortunate character retrogression.

For now though, I'm waiting for the war to happen and the stakes to rise. Tarrlok version 2 makes for a strange, somewhat redundant antagonist, but you take what you can get.

It's not so much a character regression. It honestly makes sense the way she is right now. It's only been 6 months. She feels she defeated Amon. She feels she mastered Airbending. She feels ready to be the Avatar finally and that her Dad & Tenzin are holding her back, which completely fits her character. Plus she's still just a teenager. At that age, teens feels like they're always right. Hell that doesn't go away till later on. Sometimes it doesn't. And what's awesome is that they're showing the conflict with Aang's kids because he wasn't a perfect father, or possibly that great of one.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #173 on: September 28, 2013, 10:37:24 AM
From Bryan Konietzko, one of the creators of the series.
While we’re on the subject of world leaders, I saw a comment on my dashboard after the Barnes & Noble signing from someone who was dissatisfied with the fact that we didn’t continue the Equalist plot in Book 2 and wrote something to the effect that we were just keeping the bending oppressors in power and sweeping the plight of the oppressed non-benders under the rug. This is definitely not the case. Our idea was that the Equalist revolution forced the United Republic Council (Tenzin included) to face the fact that the majority of the population was not being represented. As a result, they disbanded the council and held open elections, and Raiko, a non-bender, was elected as the president of the United Republic. Looking back, I do think we could have made that clearer, but I think we were probably trying not to bog down the premiere episode with what we refer to as stuff that’s getting too “Trade Federation-y,” since there was plenty to pack into that episode as it was.
Source

Sorry, PB, no more Equalists. Their role in Korra's time is done.

Offline TheOnly

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
[spoiler=sort of spoilers about Zuko]I found it weird that they never explained what happened to his mother.[/spoiler]

I think they left it out purposedly. To leave either an open ending easy enough for us to understand that he finally had control of his life and his family, and for there to be a fourth book if anyone wanted to close up anything.

I was reading the whole tread before making this and I know it is VERY VERY late but, there is a 3 part book series were they go out to look for her. It's called "Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search" . Part 3 will be out November 12, 2013.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.