Maverick Hunter X, because I'm like 4 years behind you guys

Gotham Ranger · 9211

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
So, I pirated MHX. I know, how terrible. I like to try a game before I waste my money on it. My thoughts?

As an enhanced version of Mega Man X1, it was lacking. X1 is generally received as perfection and to top it is a challenge not to be taken lightly. In fact, this would've been better as Mega Man Xtreme 3 or something. It just doesn't stand up to the original. I can safely say that because I beat X1 about 4 or 5 days ago :P

Now, it does have some things that were nice additions. Being able to use multiple maverick weapons after charging a rolling shield? Awesome. Hadoukening Final Sigma? I've been waiting to do that. And the voice acting wasn't all that bad, but of course, they had the stereotypical retarded Maverick, which always iritates me. Why does a big robot have to be dimwitted? It also bugged me that they also added the stereotypical "fabulous" robot. They did it to Elec Man and it sucked and then they did it to Launch Octopus and guess what? It sucked.

Negative things were abound, though. The story is terrible. I simply refuse to acknowledge it as canon until I'm forced to. Day of Sigma was dumb and then all this BS about Vile just being batshit insane and just doing his own thing. Meh. I also didn't like how they changed some things around like the entirety of the Sigma Palace. More reason to have just made a new game with new layouts. I also didn't like how they put Vile so far back so you're using this really shitty buster most of the game if you want Zero's or the fact you can beat Vile at the beginning of the game. It was such a [tornado fang] you for the first boss to kick your ass back in the day and now its just meh. The music also doesn't hold a candle to the original, not even close.

But who played the game for X? Everyone knows the money was in Vile. His story? Absolutely terrible. But I loved the gameplay. It was something different, it was challenging. The only negatives I found in playing were the lack of a dash that was at least semi rectified with the speed booster and the terrible Ride Armor time limits which made getting some sub tanks and hearts unnecessarily difficult. Also, maybe its just me, but was the music the same in every stage? It sounded like it. Guess just using the normal stage themes were just too much.

Either way, despite pirating it, I'm considering going out and paying money to own it. I like owning hard copies and I gladly pay cash for games I enjoy. I'm almost kinda sad there won't be an MHX2. Only almost. As long as we can avoid more Powered Up games.

Also, I totally wish you could've played as X1 Zero. Thats just me.

Offline Afro-Shroom

• King of the N00bs
  • Master's Unit
  • DWII's Lab Expirement Verifier
    • View Profile
well, I haven't played it my self but you just gave me a pretty condensed review. wish I could be of better help but at least we're on the same page about the fact that you should totally be able to play as zero.

"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning grip tells me to defeat you! Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! Shining Finger!!~ "

"This hand of mine is burning red! It's loud roar tells me to grasp victory! Erupting...Burning...FINGER!!!~"
-----
That one Nun...

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
I beat X's game in like.. 3 hours. It was no challenge and really not much worth it until you get Vile. Vile plays differently and has different enemy placement so you actually get challenge. The challenge in X's game is they moved they moved two armor capsules around or something.

Offline Afro-Shroom

• King of the N00bs
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
uhg, that's not much. do they have any other new features or what?

"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning grip tells me to defeat you! Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! Shining Finger!!~ "

"This hand of mine is burning red! It's loud roar tells me to grasp victory! Erupting...Burning...FINGER!!!~"
-----
That one Nun...

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Aside from Vile and being able to use other maverick weapons when using a charged Rolling Shield (And I assume Chameleon Sting), not really.

Offline Afro-Shroom

• King of the N00bs
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Funny, I was thinking of getting this game, but that's changed now.  -_-

-----
That one Nun...

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Well, this is only my opinion. I'm sure Megaman Megaman is universally loved here, but I hate it. Take a look at some gameplay videos or something. I also hear its really cheap now.

Offline Rock Bomb

• Worst Example of a
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile

Offline Afro-Shroom

• King of the N00bs
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
 -u-'

-----
That one Nun...

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
The story is terrible. I simply refuse to acknowledge it as canon until I'm forced to.

Every part of the story is based on what always was. Literally everything from MHX is in the X1 manual, subsequent games and sourcebooks. The exception being the exact events of Day of Sigma, Chameleo getting pwned by Sigma and Penguigo's becoming a midget.

Vile just being batshit insane and just doing his own thing.

Likewise, Vile was ALWAYS like that. Play X3 some more.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 12:38:54 AM
Gotham, i share none of your complaints. in fact, i have very few qualms with MHX at all. it plays exactly like it did on SNES, albeit a tad slower, and with the few changes made to it. to me, that's enough to keep it fresh without flat out changing things.

it's pretty annoying that you still have to press dash and jump at the same time to dash jump off a wall, and the Pink Shot got nerfed. but changing the capsules around was a great idea. the Zero Buster is fun to play around with, too. and there's also the aforementioned using multiple weapons at a time and Hadokening Sigma. i feel there's nothing wrong with the new Sigma Stages or the music. hell, i prefer many of the remixes to the original.

i 100% disagree that playing as Vile was the selling point of the game, fun and challenging as it is. the selling point of the game is that it's an enhanced port/remake of Mega Man X. and the game is clearly targeted to existing fans of the Mega Man series.

if you haven't learned to not give a [parasitic bomb] about Mega Man story, do so now. even so, i don't have a problem with any of MHX's story. i mean, it's pretty much the same as MMX's. Day of Sigma is fine. i've even gotten past Dr. Cain's death. i've convinced myself that there's no conspiracy to kill the guy off and write him out of X2 and 3. if a MHX2 were to be made, Dr. Cain would reveal he's still alive somehow early on.

i like this characterization of Vile way better than MMX's "lackey". it makes him feel more unique and important. and as Zan just said, he was like that since X3. i say good job making everything consistent. i don't have a problem with the narccisist Octopus. that had to be done so that he doesn't act the same as the other guys. and you're incorrect about Flame Mammoth being retarded. he just talks slow. just because he sounds like Lenny doesn't mean he's stupid.

if you ignore the changes made, this game plays just like the Super Nintendo game did. the gameplay is fluid, easy to pick up, and most of all, fun. that's the sign of a truly great game to me. it's actually a hard decision for me whether this or the original is the better version.

oh, and i do love Powered Up too.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 12:57:45 AM
Every part of the story is based on what always was. Literally everything from MHX is in the X1 manual, subsequent games and sourcebooks. The exception being the exact events of Day of Sigma, Chameleo getting pwned by Sigma and Penguigo's becoming a midget.

Likewise, Vile was ALWAYS like that. Play X3 some more.
Sure, buy me an X3 cartridge.

Vile may've been crazy, but he wasn't the loose cannon they portrayed him as in MHX. He was Sigma's right hand man. He loses it in X3 after being rebuilt because X and his "antiquated weapons" kicked his metal ass in X1. It was badly redone in that respect and thats where my problem with the story comes in. I've never been a fan of needing a source book to get information that should be readily available in a game, either. Yeah, the rest was nice fleshing out, but Vile was done wrong, plain and simple (and if I have to state it, IN MY OPINION)

if you haven't learned to not give a [parasitic bomb] about Mega Man story, do so now. even so, i don't have a problem with any of MHX's story. i mean, it's pretty much the same as MMX's. Day of Sigma is fine. i've even gotten past Dr. Cain's death. i've convinced myself that there's no conspiracy to kill the guy off and write him out of X2 and 3. if a MHX2 were to be made, Dr. Cain would reveal he's still alive somehow early on.
I try not to, but I'm not a fan of retcons at all. Sometimes they happen, but things like Day of Sigma were just blatant disregard for the original.

i like this characterization of Vile way better than MMX's "lackey". it makes him feel more unique and important. and as Zan just said, he was like that since X3. i say good job making everything consistent. i don't have a problem with the narccisist Octopus. that had to be done so that he doesn't act the same as the other guys. and you're incorrect about Flame Mammoth being retarded. he just talks slow. just because he sounds like Lenny doesn't mean he's stupid.
And Vile's characterisation is great. In X3. They didn't need to push the loose cannon thing so far as to make him just some loner. They could've gotten that through easily and still had him as he was supposed to be, Sigma's right hand man.

And yeah, I understand that just because he talks slow doesn't mean he's stupid, but I don't like it period. Its cliche and annoying, just like "fabulous" thing that happened to Launch Octopus. There's better characters to be made in there.

if you ignore the changes made, this game plays just like the Super Nintendo game did. the gameplay is fluid, easy to pick up, and most of all, fun. that's the sign of a truly great game to me. it's actually a hard decision for me whether this or the original is the better version.
I shouldn't need to ignore anything. X1, for me, was perfection hands down and this doesn't do it complete justice. Its a good enhancement, yes, but X's game is still just X's game from X1 with a few things moved around. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting a totally new experience here. I understand from the beginning its just an enhanced remake and nothing more, but some enhanced remakes can blow the originals away while some just can't cut it. This one falls in between. It doesn't reach X1's level but it isn't bad either.

oh, and i do love Powered Up too.
Just quoting for reference.

Offline Rock Bomb

• Worst Example of a
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 02:04:03 AM
Now would be a good time to mention that I detest the word "opinion"

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 02:28:22 AM
Dr. Cain's death
Such a fact is unconfirmed. in fact, it would ruin the idea of his roles in X2-4.

Sure, buy me an X3 cartridge.
Sure, get a rom.

also, they should give Mammoth his ability from Iwamoto's mangas, where he can regenerate his body from reploid corpses.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 02:33:22 AM
Such a fact is unconfirmed. in fact, it would ruin the idea of his roles in X2-4.

way to go. taking the quote out of context.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 02:34:42 AM
About Vile being Siggy's right-hand man: He isn't yet in MHX (at least in his own campaign).

And MHX isn't challenging? I got stalled on the damn thing for at least a year.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 02:40:30 AM
And MHX isn't challenging? I got stalled on the damn thing for at least a year.

if you've played MMX as much as i have, X's mode is a walk in the park. even on hard. Vile mode is genuinely challenging.

no one disagreed with you...

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 02:43:22 AM
Sure, get a rom.

Gladly. Now if only, you know, PSP SNES emulation didn't suck and I had a working home PC.

Just saying.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 02:50:45 AM
PSP SNES emulation doesn't suck. Use the latest SNES9X TYL.

Just turn on frame skip (and get used to it), set the speed to 60fps, the processing power to 333 and you're all set. ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 02:57:55 AM

Just turn on frame skip (and get used to it), set the speed to 60fps, the processing power to 333 and you're all set. ^^
Mileage varies for this though... I know it still bugs me to no end whenever I try.

As for MHX... well, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I enjoy MHX quite a bit, but I still prefer X1 in general.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 05:05:18 AM

I had a friend who had transparency issues. he could not play Acid seahorse's level for the water part.

Gladly. Now if only, you know, PSP SNES emulation didn't suck and I had a working home PC.

Just saying.

Didnt know you didn't have a computer.

just saying.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 05:56:14 AM
X1 is generally received as perfection and to top it is a challenge not to be taken lightly.

LoL, well with this general bias, obviously you're going to find MMX lacking!  XD

And...challenging?  Really?  8D

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 11:11:21 AM
Flame: Eh, my tone was bad there. My bad. I'll be getting MMX Collection this week hopefully

PB: While I was only forwarding opinions I've heard, I do think X1 is hard to top. Only X4 comes close. HOWEVER, what people seem to have missed is I DID enjoy the game. I'll flesh my thoughts out thoroughly tomorrow when I get to the library.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 01:40:12 PM
Vile may've been crazy, but he wasn't the loose cannon they portrayed him as in MHX.

What are you talking about? Every single bio of the guy talks about him being a loose cannon.

VAVA (Vile)
Originally with the 17th elite unit, his ability as a hunter is Special A Class,
but due to a fault in his electronic brain, he became an abhorrent destroyer of
repliroids.
Because of this, he was removed from the work of the Irregular
Hunters and immobilized, but with Sigma's rebellion was set free. He now
enjoys commiting frequent acts of destruction.

The only way Sigma and VAVA relate is how MHX has it. Sigma set him free and VAVA happily went along with it. He's not Sigma's right hand man. Really, you're only basing that on the fact that he's fighting on Sigma's side and is in certain places at the right time, which still remains true as of MHX.

In X3 he is exactly the same, not taking any orders, trashing a fortress filled with mechaniloids to take their place as the boss.

I try not to, but I'm not a fan of retcons at all. Sometimes they happen, but things like Day of Sigma were just blatant disregard for the original.

There's nothing in Day of Sigma that is in disagreement with the original.

I've never been a fan of needing a source book to get information that should be readily available in a game, either. Yeah, the rest was nice fleshing out, but Vile was done wrong, plain and simple (and if I have to state it, IN MY OPINION)

Yet when they put that info in the game you complain about it?

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 05:27:19 PM
incorrect about Flame Mammoth being retarded. he just talks slow. just because he sounds like Lenny doesn't mean he's stupid.
That's like what I said about Fefnir, because the idea of someone in charge of an army being stupid was in itself stupid.
Then ZX went and proved me wrong.