Read this DZ and PJ

Rockmon · 4646

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
on: April 07, 2009, 04:08:26 AM
I'm getting a laptop soon, I like Dell, but PJ and Rad don't like them and I've had two Compaq/HP laptops that both sucked. So, my questions are, is HP/Compaq a good brand? What's so bad about Dells?

Save the tatas..................................................................................................please?

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 04:52:43 AM
Since a few years back, Dells have gotten shitty; two years is usually the maximum lifetime of a Dell machine before they start needing parts changed, up to the point where you end up easily paying more for repairs than for a brand new machine.

Try this on for size: http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668231.php

Awesome specs, awesome price, only bad thing is Vista.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 04:56:24 AM
PJ and Rad don't like DELL, but from my experience with my current Compaq Presario, it sucks.
And PJ would agree.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 05:00:16 AM
Since a few years back, Dells have gotten shitty; two years is usually the maximum lifetime of a Dell machine before they start needing parts changed, up to the point where you end up easily paying more for repairs than for a brand new machine.

Try this on for size: http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668231.php

Awesome specs, awesome price, only bad thing is Vista.
Vista can easily be replaced though.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 05:32:23 AM
Well when I said soon, I meant around the time 7 comes out.
EDIT: HOLY [parasitic bomb] DZ! That gateway is like the same as a 2K+ mac and even better bestbuy is selling it for only 1150

Save the tatas..................................................................................................please?

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 06:12:44 AM
I know. A friend of mine pointed it out to me; all reviews grade it nothing under four and a half stars out of five. Looks like a damn good bet to me.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 06:12:56 AM
Also, don't expect PJ to see this, he up and left us all. >: |

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 06:15:18 AM
well some people have busy lives.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 09:23:53 AM
Regardless of your stance between HP and Dell, just don't touch Toshiba. Those things will LITERALLY start falling apart within a year, and it only gets worse (first it was my screen, then some screws came loose, then some more until finally you could almost split the thing's bottom off, and then even beyond THAT the hard drive died out).

So far, my Dell's working just fine, and quite honestly I'm somewhat glad I have Vista on here. Last time I had a massive problem on XP, I had to reformat the whole thing; Vista sent it back right before the problem happened and allowed me to avert it. As for the machine itself, it IS kind of delicate. A misplaced fury smash and the thing needs to be sent back in.

*inserts two cents*

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 01:56:37 AM
We have a rule in this house, don't mention Toshiba.

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 02:24:25 AM
HP > Dell

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 02:53:48 AM
HP > Dell

I love HP, but they could try to give me better parts in their laptops more often. XD

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 04:31:36 AM
how good is acer?

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 05:11:04 AM
Well, I've had two years with mine, and the only real inherent problem I've had with it is that my battery [tornado fang]'d itself sideways. Aside from that, it's been able to run anything I've thrown at it, it's taken quite a count of physical attacks (including a raging 2-yr old), and besides the battery, its only real inconvenience (notice I said inconvenience, not problem) is the fact that it spent so much time packed in my backpack at first, it's accumulated metric shitloads of dust of epic proportions inside, making the air exhaust a bit clogged and thus making the machine overheat sometimes, which is usually signaled by a very particular flickering on the screen (since the exhaust vent is used for BOTH the processor AND the graphics card).

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 05:17:51 AM
My friend had an ACER. Like yours the battery was [parasitic bomb]. But it's the manufacturer cells that are to blame not ACER. Also the cable for the screen was [parasitic bomb] even after it was replaced. Lastly after a few years, the whole damn thing was literary falling apart which is BS considering it rarely left his desk.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 05:41:24 AM
cuz I just got one.

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 07:37:59 PM
how long ago?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 02:28:45 AM
umm... as of right now, like 2 days ago. Vista is SO unnecessarily complicated for no reason, and the 'top didnt come with a vista booklet.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 02:29:52 AM
I got used two it within two days.

Stop complaining because it's new.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 02:35:00 AM
*Acer overheating*

*raise hand* Same with my laptop... ;o;

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 02:49:27 AM
One thing I've kinda wanted to know, how does Alienware computers stand out? They're supposed to be insanely powerful gaming PCs, but exactly how sturdy are they, among other things?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 03:22:14 AM
I got used two it within two days.

Stop complaining because it's new.
[insert back in my day speech]

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 04:37:59 AM
umm... as of right now, like 2 days ago. Vista is SO unnecessarily complicated for no reason, and the 'top didnt come with a vista booklet.
return it and get something else like a gateway.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 05:51:22 AM
why? Im perfectly fine with it. Ive already put some of my stuff on it.

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 06:24:47 AM
well tell me that you at least got a warranty.