Sigma Virus

Zan · 13369

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
on: April 06, 2009, 10:41:28 PM
Reading around forums a bit, I notice that to this date people seem to still be confused about matters of the Sigma Virus, especially the "suffering circuit"...

So... since I haven't written out in a while, at least not in a thread of its own, I just felt like trying to explain it as simple as possible again. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong. >.>

The short version:

The Virus comes from Zero as it was put in there by Wily. Wily made it to make robots with mental capabilities similar to X, such as Zero himself, into irregulars.

The long version:

"(Mental) Suffering Circuit" (Kunou Kairo).
The 'Localizer' for UDON's MMZOCW does not understand Japanese and did not understand Three Keys. He, like many fans, felt like it tarnished all previous known facts, but he tried to localize it to the best of his abilities by rewriting the translation he was given using his own knowledge of the series. These changes are most noticeable in the first key "Sigma Virus". As such, I'll be sticking to the Japanese version, unless I do not have a translation at hand.. 

First and foremost, remember the disclaimer added above the Three Keys section: "The information that follows comes from the early concept phases for the Zero series' scenario, and therefore may not be canonical."

Secondly, remember that unlike the English version, the Japanese version is not unambiguous, it is completely vague and purposely so.

The dreadful Sigma Virus that transforms repliroid to irregular.
The true form/essence of which, was a (mental) suffering circuit Right inserted into X during the time of his creation.
A repliroid which possesses a suffering circuit,
in regards to a society where humans and repliroids coexist,
so as to be biased towards neither side,
it is fated always to worry continuously as to which side it should stand upon.

Notes:
-The first line is clear and factual, well established knowledge.
-True form/True essence is not concretely defined, it can mean anything. Definitely not as concrete as the word "origin". One has to ask oneself, what is the true essence of Sigma Virus?
-A circuit in Rockman is a physical object, not disembodied data. The word is used a lot in both classic and X to describe parts of the body that operate mental or physical aspects of a Repliroid.
-Line three to six talk about the circuit functioning as it should within Repliroids along with its purpose.

Keeping in mind the vagueness here, the following conclusions can be made from the first key:
-There's an innate connection between Sigma Virus, it's ability to turn Repliroids into Irregulars and the suffering circuit. Which can be described as "true form/essence."
-X and by extension "Repliroids", have that circuit within them.
-Zero, who's the primary subject of the text, is described as a being developed to be a (completely evil) "Repliroid" a few lines later; he should have the circuit from birth inside of him.
-The proper functioning and purpose of the circuit accurate describes X's worrying.

The canon establishes the following:
-X's worrying is the quantum leap in robotics. It's his most important feature, that which allows him to feel and make decisions of his own accord; in much more simplified terms "free will."
-X's worrying is on a different level from other Repliroids.
-Cain did not understand all of X's systems and made adjustments.
-Faults in a Repliroid's electronic brain could be a reason for Irregulars.
-The Sigma Virus turns Repliroids into Irregulars by rewriting Repliroid programming; DNA programs. A Copy Chip reverts Repliroid DNA to its original form and allows for Sigma Virus immunity.

So, as should be clear, the Sigma Virus overwrites free will and X's worrying creates it; they're each other's polar opposites.

In order not to overwrite the "faults in brain" concept with the "Virus" as the series continues, it makes sense to consider Three Keys the following way: the connection between Sigma Virus and the circuit is that Sigma Virus targets the faults in the circuit, part of a Repliroid's brain. When comparing this to a biological virus, there always is some innate relation between "target" and "attacker" in order to have any effect.

That's the simplest way I can put it. Though one should take Three Keys with a grain of salt, regardless. Details could still be changed in the future and the text's vagueness might make even this not wholly correct. However, I do feel it is important not to go overboard and claim it's the "origin". The actual "canon" should never be overwritten by "may not be canon", it should merely be reviewed with the context of the established canon.

Again, "origin" is not specified. But that begs the question, what is its origin? How does Zero tie into all this?

Origin of Sigma Virus

To be short and to the point, the origin of Sigma Virus is Zero and the origin of Zero is Wily. Therefore, its creator too, is Dr. Wily. This is vital, as it's completely reversed from the misinterpretation of Three Keys that would try to blame X and Right. Certainly X and Right are factors, but most important is Wily.

Dr. Wily the legendary mad scientist.

Loosely quoted from Power Fighters:
"With this robot and that completed. The world will be mine!"
Referred to in the English game as Wily's other project.

From Rockman Perfect Memories (the book):
Exactly what kinds of secrets are sleeping in Zero's past?
Zero has almost no memory of the past.  However, sometimes he seems to see a person resembling Dr. Wily in his dreams.  And it's also said that Zero was born with the Sigma Virus already inside of him. His creation is it actually to battle with whom?  One would never think it was for justice, however...
X: He was made by Dr. Right.  Will the time for his fated battle with Zero come?
Dr. Wily: The one who put the Sigma Virus in Zero is, perhaps him......

Though surely Capcom does not give straight answers, the implication is obvious: Wily put the Sigma Virus inside of Zero.

RZOCW continues to hint at the Zero origin by calling Zero the "first infected" with "Sigma Virus", which is the whole point of his admission into the research institute; his dark past that haunts him.

"Zero which was developed by Wily to be a completely evil repliroid"

Zero who was developed by Wily to be a "Repliroid" having X's suffering circuit inside of him who was intended to be "evil". The "evil"Sigma Virus that turns "Repliroids" into Irregulars. Zero who was an irregular before he lost to Sigma.

Certainly the original purpose of Sigma Virus is to make Zero an irregular; an evil Repliroid.

The biggest oddity to many people here would be the used terminology of "Repliroid" and "Sigma Virus". Both these words post-date X and Zero's creations, yet are used to refer to matters that predate the people responsible for these names, Cain and Sigma.

-Repliroids are the robots that resemble humans (mentally) as closely as possible.
-Sigma Virus is the Virus that came from Zero that infected Sigma and became part of him.

The most important conclusion to be made here; what was within Zero was always a Virus, not some odd merger of codes as some Three Keys interpretations cling too. What one simply has to conclude is that the Virus was built to work within Zero, who has the suffering circuit, therefore the innate connection.

To further reference the origin with Wily and Zero. Rockman X8 has Sigma talk to Zero about that matter "Virus from that DNA" (US: "your virus").

Inafune in his recent interview certainly helps to confirm a lot of the aforementioned origin:

"Sigma was a powerful leader of the Maverick Hunters but after Zero passed the virus to him, his allegiance changed. Circumstances can change anything, and nothing is absolute."

"A large amount of time has passed between the classic series and Mega Man X. Dr. Wily had died in the interim but was brought back by the virus."

Certainly it's quite weird to think that the Virus that brought Wily back would be anything other than his own creation. Relating to all of this is how Sigma's turn of allegiance was an unplanned matter of circumstance and exactly how the Virus transferred to Sigma. But that's a topic on its own.

I hope this topic helped to explain the matter, served as a gentle reminder, insulted your intelligence with redundancy, or trampled on your reality.

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong!!!

>.>

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 10:51:05 PM
So the tl;dr (even though I read it all) is that the X = Responsible for Virus is a load of bull and we can all go back to blaming Zero?

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 11:00:48 PM
So the tl;dr (even though I read it all) is that the X = Responsible for Virus is a load of bull and we can all go back to blaming Zero?

Yep.

Quote from: Robert Oakes
Personally, I think you're being too long-winded about it all.

Yeah.

Offline IHZ

• Net Navi
  • SHOOOSH
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 11:01:53 PM
You are wrong! Here's why:

Sigma is in fact... Dr.Wily in disguise...

No seriously, there is only one question that have been bothered me, Everyone keep using "Sigma Virus" to refer to the Virus that was passed on by Zero to Sigma, however, Did the virus BECOME a Sigma Virus after being merged with Sigma's program? or is it one huge epic coincidence that Wily named the Virus "Sigma" just to be transmitted to a Reploid going by the name "Sigma"?

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 11:11:44 PM
No seriously, there is only one question that have been bothered me, Everyone keep using "Sigma Virus" to refer to the Virus that was passed on by Zero to Sigma, however, Did the virus BECOME a Sigma Virus after being merged with Sigma's program? or is it one huge highly enjoyable coincidence that Wily named the Virus "Sigma" just to be transmitted to a Reploid going by the name "Sigma"?

The name comes from Sigma and his fusion with it. The people of the future refer to Wily's Virus as the Sigma Virus because it eventually merged with Sigma. Just as much as they refer to Zero as a Repliroid because he has human-like mental capabilities. 

We don't know what Wily named it. Because we don't know, we just retroactively apply "Sigma" to it. Remember, the first time the name "Sigma Virus" was used was in X3. Previously the name given to that Virus by the people of the future is "irregular virus" for obvious reasons. Later sources just began to refer to the original as "Sigma Virus" because that was the established name from X3. Other times, simply "the Virus", though.

You can make a naming distinction between the Virus before Sigma and the Virus after Sigma since there certainly is a difference, but that only leads to confusion with Capcom's own texts; they refer to both as Sigma Virus without clear distinction.  It's backwards and retroactive, but that's how it is.

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 11:27:03 PM
You know, what I'd find really helpful is a comprehensive diagram about all the major Irregular indicents (read: games), causes of the Irregular revolts (Virus, plain conspiracy...), the Virus' variants and mutations, etc. It'd be like those global warming charts, just useful and I could actually hang it from my wall.

Also, what is this Three Keys thing?

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 11:31:34 PM
Also, what is this Three Keys thing?

From MMZOCW:

THE THREE KEYS TO SOLVING THE MYSTERY OF ZERO AND OMEGA.

Zero and Omega are two Reploids with a very complex bond, and they engage in a memorable battle in Zero 3.  Here, we examine the background information regarding the three key elements that tie these two together in an attempt to reveal some previously unknown angles to the story.
(NOTE; The information that follows comes from the early concept phases for the Zero series' scenario, and therefore may not be canonical.")

You know, what I'd find really helpful is a comprehensive diagram about all the major Irregular indicents (read: games), causes of the Irregular revolts (Virus, plain conspiracy...), the Virus' variants and mutations, etc. It'd be like those global warming charts, just useful and I could actually hang it from my wall.

Well, the variants are easy enough. But the relation to revolts is tougher, as I'm sure there are people not in agreement with how I view certain game's events in relation to the Virus. Like how I belief both X1 and X4 have Virus use. I think in general you can assume the Virus is always an element, even in some parts of X8 (Sigma's body, Lumine's death.)

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 11:38:28 PM
I can see some virus in X4, too, but not to the point of it being the main cause. It probably depends on one's paranoia and observation skills. Same for X1

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 11:49:17 PM
Well, my paranoia goes as far as Sigma using it like Jedi Mind Trick on General. Just to make General out for less of an idiot.

Offline Shinichameleon / Nayim

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 09:31:18 AM
Sigma smash Zero's crystal forehead & spread into Sigma' data and became maverick.... i confuse -_-.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 05:19:04 PM
The Sigma Virus from Zero transferred to Sigma during that battle. Followed by darkness growing in Sigma's heart until after several months the evil Virus' hold over him was complete; he merged with the Virus and then started his rebellion.

All of that still happened, nothing to be confused about.

Sigma still rebelled of his own free will, though.

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 05:53:31 PM

More like, the Virus made him see a bigger picture, expanding his view/sight. Before being infected, he was a servant of humans, an Irregular Hunter. Him getting infected was different from what was the usual matter back in these days. It didn't turn him into a rampaging berserker, it twisted him. He saw human inferiority compared to Repliroids and hence decided thar Repliroids were better fit to rule.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 06:06:41 PM
Saying it is what twisted him is very much oversimplifying matters. His change of heart has to do with his pride being tattered and therefore desiring power. Then witnessing the justice X speaks off, he began to think about the imperfections of this world. And the Virus was the means to an end, the ability to cause a rebellion on that scale and restore himself from death. It's all factors lead to his change of heart, not just one. Certainly the man that he is would believe in the philosophy of evolution even without the Virus. Ask the New Generation.

Offline Shinichameleon / Nayim

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 03:07:00 PM
The Sigma Virus from Zero transferred to Sigma during that battle. Followed by darkness growing in Sigma's heart until after several months the evil Virus' hold over him was complete; he merged with the Virus and then started his rebellion.

All of that still happened, nothing to be confused about.

Your theory always right Zan. :)

Offline IHZ

• Net Navi
  • SHOOOSH
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 01:54:42 AM
But what purpose did the Virus  serve exactly, aside of a very effective weapon against his Reploid brothers, if he started his rebellion on his own free will? Did it trully affect his personality or did it nourish the already growing darkness of his heart?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 02:56:06 AM
thats... pretty much what Zan is trying to say IHZ...

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 04:24:48 AM
Man, I am never going to get anywhere with my theory that there never was any virus.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 08:16:19 AM
I find this topic amusing, mainly because it reminds me of when RZOCW was first being fan-translated and it caused a shitstorm of stupidity. Like when everyone was pushing forth that the virus came from X, which was backed by almost everyone, until they stopped and thought for a bit.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 06:21:36 PM
But what purpose did the Virus  serve exactly, aside of a very effective weapon against his Reploid brothers, if he started his rebellion on his own free will? Did it trully affect his personality or did it nourish the already growing darkness of his heart?

I would say that becoming infected with the Virus made Sigma realize what he could do, he was given the ability to whatever his heart and mind desired. But all of this is first and foremost driven by his tattered pride, leading into his desire for power. In the middle of this entire process, he meets X and his strong justice makes him realize the imperfections of the world.  When all these factors come together as Sigma merges with the Virus, it means the Virus made him see unlimited potential to grow stronger as he had the power to cast the world into endless war to invoke the evolution of all Repliroids.

X8 is right on the mark with "Sigma rebelled of his own free will", solely because he is the Virus and the Virus can't corrupt itself. A personality change is doubtful, as that is disregarding both X and Zero's non Virus influence on him. Furthermore, it was remarked that Sigma does not worry much, whereas X worries too much. VAVA was said to be similar to Sigma in that he can become irregular of his own accord. Which would lead to the conclusion that the likes of VAVA and Sigma have no compassion because they do not worry.

Maybe not a diagram, but here's a little timeline:

-Wily is constructing Zero and the Sigma Virus.
>
-Wily puts the Sigma Virus inside of Zero to make him an irregular.
>
-Zero fights Sigma, Sigma is infected with the Virus. > After several months, the evil Virus' hold over Sigma
became complete and Sigma started his rebellion.
>
-Wily who died in the interim is brought back by the Virus anytime before X2 in some unexplained matter.
>
-Magne Centipide is spreading the Irregular Virus from the Central Computer across the world.
-Central Computer has several computer-aided materializations of Sigma Virus. (Sword and Sigma face)
-Sigma Virus is in one scenario used to awaken Zero.
>
-Techno is infected with Sigma Virus and realizes Sigma has the power to manipulate Repliroid hearts.
>
-Doppler develops a working anti-Virus but is infected by Sigma. He creates a fake utopia based on a fake anti-Virus. After his defeat he reveals Sigma is in truth the Virus itself. Sigma tries to infect X to take over his body, but is stopped by either Doppler or X using the real anti-virus. Sigma's program is fading.
>
-Tackione, who is a Limited clone of Doppler, produces Sigma Chip which holds the key to Sigma's immortality.
>
-Enemice HL, a creation of Doppler uses the Sigma Chip on himself and becomes Sigma. Sigma is defeated by X and ReturnX's merger. ReturnX seemingly claims the power of immortality.
>
-Sigma reappears as the mastermind behind Berkana and Gareth.
>
-On Sigma's orders, Dynamo spreads the Colony Virus on Eurasia and makes the colony drop.
-Sigma purposely sacrifices a body of his to spread the Virus all over earth. Massive outbreak of irregulars all over the world.
-Zero witnesses power boosts from the Sigma Virus purifying his body and trying to turn him into an irregular.
>
-Sigma's resurrection has slowed down because he spread too large an amount of the Virus.
-From Eurasia's remains, the Colony Virus and Sigma Virus merge together to form the new Zero Virus, which purifies Zero's body and possibly awakens him.
-The Zero Virus causes the 0-space, a merger of cyberspace and the real world. Programs from cyberspace are materialized in the real world.
>
-The Zero Virus disappears with the destruction of the 0-space.
-Sigma is completely destroyed by Zero. Zero has finally defeated the Sigma Virus but dies shortly after.
>
-Gate finds a piece of Zero's DNA and is infected by the Sigma Virus spreading from Zero.
-Gate resurrected Sigma from complete destruction by comparing Sigma Virus DNA with Zero DNA and triggering Sigma's revival program.
>
-Cedar obtains Sigma Virus Mk2 and attempts to use it as a bargaining tool. However, that kind of protection is useless toward Axl and Cedar is killed by Axl. Axl's success attracts Sigma toward Red Alert.
>
-Sigma manipulates Red and by the time Red realizes what's going on, he has taken complete control over his comrades using the Sigma Virus. He uses them to force Red into doing his bidding.
>
-New Generation Repliroids appear with complete and total immunity to all Viruses.
>
-Sigma is once again completely destroyed, this time on the moon using his strongest body.
>
-The Sigma Virus continues to exist. Marino becomes a technology thief in order to find a cure for Sigma Virus.
>
-Zero learns he's the origin of Sigma Virus and that he's spreading the Virus during missions. He admits himself in a research institute to get rid of something inside of him.
>
-From Zero's Sigma Virus data the Sigma Antibody Program: Mother Elf is created. Project Elpizo, Birth of Hope. The Mother Elf has the ability to revert irregular programming to its original form.
>
-X's uses the Mother Elf and the war quickly ended.
>
-Dr. Weil awakens the Sigma Virus dormant inside of the Mother Elf to curse her. She becomes the Dark Elf. The Elf Wars begin.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 02:22:11 AM
Hey Zan, how and why is the Virus "toxic" to humans? is there an explanation for that?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Rodrigo Shin

• Not a Zero series
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • Ácido Cinza
Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 07:00:04 AM
Was that ever stated? Far as I recall the humans had to seek refuge underground because of the colony impact that severely [tornado fang]'d up the environment, and the remnants of the virus made work hell for Reploids. Most I recall about it doing things to humans would be a poorly worded sentence in X5 (US: "The virus is affecting both humans and Reploids", JPN: "The virus has plunged both humans and Reploids into chaos", and no, not word-by-word quotes), and the outlandish X5 manga where Necrobat is speciffically working on making it work on humans (go figure).

The reason for retcon is to cancel out contradictions
a retcon is a last resort to erase a contradiction
Guys, please let me know when did Gwen Stacy getting retroactively impregnated with Goblin Twins solve any contradiction whatsoever and didn't create a whole set of new ones. TTFN

--

Whenever it comes to "consensus" and things alike, always remember Tony Bullet-Tooth's sage advice:
"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 07:11:21 AM
So is what caused the first generation of Mavericks different from what caused the Mavericks after Zero's awakening? Wasn't the virus inside Zero mutated when it came into contact with Sigma in some way, shape or form?

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 05:55:13 PM
What caused them? Mucked up brains/free will.

Was the Virus mutated? It became Sigma and Sigma became it.

Offline CyberXIII

• Doctor Ivo Robotnik
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfic and Rant account
Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 04:03:50 AM
But I thought Zero originally had the Zero Virus within himself, not the Sigma Virus.  The latter was made when Zero accidentally infected Sigma, if X4 is anything to go by...

What color is my heart, Snively...?

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=23112
Click here to find a site with loads of soundtracks available.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 04:08:44 AM
Oh no, not another debate over whether the virus changed or just its name...