Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: March 29, 2009, 08:01:21 AM
Which points?

uh point singular, my bad.

- The smallfry enemies in this game are cheaper than they need to be. They have really high defense, too. A charge shot does nothing to them.

i thought i mentioned the aftermath of fighting Kaiser Sigma. that climb is almost luck based, it would seem.

That didn't help Agile, or whatever his name was.

the exception to the rule.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Fragman

• Made of Metal
  • Robot Master
  • My heart is made of metal
    • View Profile
    • AntiBunny
Reply #51 on: March 29, 2009, 10:10:22 AM
Honestly I enjoyed all the extras in X3.  Yes you had to wait too late to get them though, and the ride armors were mostly useless but it at least gave me something to go back for. 

Now X's armor upgrades.  The buster.  It really could have been stronger, but it WAS visually impressive, and it did have one good use.  Fire it in a straight away and chase after it as it destroys all minor enemies in front of you.  Though it needed to be more powerful for that purpose.  I get that they were going for a room cleaner though.  The individual shots are for bosses.  The only real change that needed was for the uncharged shots to be more like the X2 shots.

The Leg upgrade was nice and I liked vertical dashing, but it needed to be much faster.  The Blade armor in X6 was vertical dashing done right.

I don't mind the limitations on where to use Zero, but the one life and you lose him forever restriction made anyone too paranoid to use him, which really hurt the overall fun of the game.

All the extra bosses.  Who could hate more character bosses?  If anything, we didn't see ENOUGH of them.  I'd liked to have seen one change though.

If you kill bit or byte, the survivor merges with the remnants of the dead one to create the first Doppler stage boss.  If you kill both you fight something else.  If you kill neither they still merge.  I'd have liked one more option, which would be to fight Bit and Byte at the same time if you killed neither.

I'd also liked to have been able to fight Vile in the Goliath armor with Zero, as a sort of rematch from X1.  Having the mosqito take out Zero was kind of weak.  Vile running over to Zero and self destructing could have been awesome.

AntiBunny

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #52 on: March 29, 2009, 08:49:18 PM
What if you haven't played X1 or X2?
Then you have a lot of guts showing your face in front of any X-series fans. :P

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: March 29, 2009, 10:07:27 PM
Wanna know why the enemies hurt so much and have so much defense? I'll tell you why... to make up for the weakass boss AI. That was probably the quickest way to make the game more difficult, and since they were obviously strapped for time for whatever (probably self imposed) reason, they went that way.

I'll have to agree that Sigma was a fun fight in X3. If you go in unarmoured and have absolutely no items, he can kill you in 2 shots, so you have to be really careful.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: March 29, 2009, 10:10:52 PM
One factor that messed the game up was the mess of a sprite the armor was.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: April 01, 2009, 01:49:35 AM
I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who noticed...

Lacking access to the internet at the time of X2, I didn't honestly know what Zero's redesigned armor was supposed to look like.  X3 was the obvious indicator to me that the designs were too complex for the sprites.  Main reason I want to smack these "ZOMG MAKE SNES X9" people in the face.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: April 01, 2009, 02:00:27 AM
Well then they shouldn't have made the design so complex.  Why do you think the Megaman Legends Megaman was designed with such blocky armor?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: April 01, 2009, 02:07:04 AM
It's just a testament to how "evolved" the series was becoming, though, that even as of their 2nd entry they already were botching up on that level.  The simplistic designs, X1 excepted, are generally Classic-series material.  It's part of what helps differentiate the two.

Who knows, that may have something to do with why they started pulling out all the stops in X2.  Remember, X2/MM7 was the first time two MegaMan series coexisted.

And I don't know what the hell you're talking about with Legends.  First of all, Trigger got redesigned between the two entries, and secondly there isn't a whole lot "blocky" about his design, certainly not when you compare L1 art to L1 visuals.  Barring the helmet, which he doesn't start with, his design is unusually rounded.  There aren't a whole lot of edges on him, but there is a fair share of fine detail.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: April 01, 2009, 02:14:41 AM
X1 and 6 don't count as co-existing because they were on different systems?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: April 01, 2009, 02:20:42 AM
In all honesty 4-6 kinda blur together in my head.  Still, Classic sticking to the NES keeps a sort of boundary between the two series that 7 broke down.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: April 01, 2009, 02:48:01 AM
I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who noticed...

Lacking access to the internet at the time of X2, I didn't honestly know what Zero's redesigned armor was supposed to look like.  X3 was the obvious indicator to me that the designs were too complex for the sprites.  Main reason I want to smack these "ZOMG MAKE SNES X9" people in the face.
I was referring to X's X3 armor.
I personally liked X3 Zero's sprites.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.