Computer Problem Thread

Flame · 203907

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
on: November 09, 2008, 02:38:15 AM
post your Computer woes. Someone might just be able to help you.
as for me, I have a small problem. I recently got a New Flash Drive, and Its installed and ready to go,... but... I cant access it... I cant find it on the "My computer" window. HOW THE [Sigma] do I get to my Flash Drive!?
also, I request that Sigma be made a censor. XD

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 02:39:08 AM
Seems like we had a problem at the college a few weeks ago where Flash Drives wouldn't be recognized due to some internal software it had.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 02:41:55 AM
no, it recognnizes it, the thing is fine, i just cant find a way to ACCESS the drive... theres no icon to it...

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 02:54:47 AM
I has a computer problem, it's called, at any given time (Or if I nudge my desk, which happens a lot.) my computer will reboot on it's own.
I have formatted my hard drive recently, and so I've eliminated the possibility of software problem. (Though, it only started again after Service Pack 3 was installed.)

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 02:59:34 AM
post your Computer woes. Someone might just be able to help you.
as for me, I have a small problem. I recently got a New Flash Drive, and Its installed and ready to go,... but... I cant access it... I cant find it on the "My computer" window. HOW THE [Sigma] do I get to my Flash Drive!?
also, I request that Sigma be made a censor. XD
It probably doesn't have a file system/isn't partitioned. I don't have a working pc ATM so I can't look up the exact steps

I has a computer problem, it's called, at any given time (Or if I nudge my desk, which happens a lot.) my computer will reboot on it's own.
I have formatted my hard drive recently, and so I've eliminated the possibility of software problem. (Though, it only started again after Service Pack 3 was installed.)
the cable that connects the motherboard to the power supply is probably loose

Save the tatas..................................................................................................please?

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 03:04:13 AM
I've already opened it all up once before and didn't notice anything ajar, but I will check again to make sure.
Um...next time I wake up and before I turn on my computer...tomorrow, ish...
cause right now I'm using my computer, and it's my life.

But thanks for the suggestion, I'll let ya know if it helps.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 03:04:59 AM
Partitioning makes sense... frack. anyone know how im supposed to go about it?

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 06:51:38 PM
It probably doesn't have a file system/isn't partitioned. I don't have a working pc ATM so I can't look up the exact steps
Unlikely. All flash drives on the market today are sold pre-partitioned and formatted in FAT32 (universal for all OSes). Exactly what kind of drive is it, boy? Also, even though it SAYS it's installed, you might want to check the Disk Management Console (diskmgmt.msc) to see if it's really there.

the cable that connects the motherboard to the power supply is probably loose
Doubt it. In any case, the first thing you should do is disable restarting for severe system crashes. That way you can at the very least see WHAT caused the problem.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 06:55:58 PM
My D key fell off. How can I reattach it? BTW, I have a laptop.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 07:09:32 PM
that's going to be a pain in the ass to fix yourself. take it to bestbuy and they might fix it for free.

Save the tatas..................................................................................................please?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 08:28:24 PM
Unlikely. All flash drives on the market today are sold pre-partitioned and formatted in FAT32 (universal for all OSes). Exactly what kind of drive is it, boy? Also, even though it SAYS it's installed, you might want to check the Disk Management Console (diskmgmt.msc) to see if it's really there.

Doubt it. In any case, the first thing you should do is disable restarting for severe system crashes. That way you can at the very least see WHAT caused the problem.
Sandisk micro cruizer. 8 Gig.
but NVM. found the problem. it doesnt open like most do. it opens from another icon... also, its U3 capabilities were disabled.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 05:18:16 PM
Might as well throw this in...
What could be the cause for my Down, Right, and Pg Dn keys on my laptop keyboard to die suddenly?
Is there any way to fix it besides sending to tech support?

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 06:24:56 PM
Do you actually feel them clicking down when you press them? If you don't, there might be something stuck below them -- try turning the laptop around and shaking it a bit. If not, maybe the actual buttons below the keys are worn off -- only solution to that would be to turn the machine in to tech support.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 07:03:14 PM
I do feel them clicking when I press them.
I'll try shaking then, when I'm not using my lappie.

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 12:42:56 AM
Well just to let people know, I woke up one afternoon (I don't do mornings.) and opened up my computer...looked at, touched a few things, shrugged, put the case back together, then turned it on and since then my computer hasn't rebooted suddenly...so far so good, hopefully, I actually did something helpful...but knowing my luck, I'll nudge my desk again and it'll go BOOP! Reboot time...

Anyways.
I want a new computer. ;-;

Offline FatherSaintPaul

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 04:58:35 PM
I want a new computer. ;-;

I can build them for you. Just let me know on the IRC at what you're looking for and I'll set a price. No PDAs from me.
Laptops usually start at $650, desktops at $310. As for the payments, usually it's 30-50% prior building it, 50-70% upon receiving your UPS tracking email. Usually I charge an extra $150-250 for my services and shipping. Laptops will be charged more as it takes a lot of my time to solder materials together (and some have monitors that are a pain in the rear to install).

Other than that, you can always give it a shot on pricewatch.com and newegg.com. I'd never recommend DeLL, HP, Compaq or Gateway. Toshiba's reasonable but still rather overpriced. Alienware = DeLL btw. Affordable and compatible modern computers could be found from ASUS and SAGER. MSI's alright but their customer service blows 50% of the time. People who wants a reliable workstation, boxxtech.com would be the way to go but very costly.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 08:01:03 PM
help. I have a sansa express 1 gig Mp3 player, one of those usb plug in ones. but, all of a subbed, when I plug it into the computer, while the battery should recharge, it doesnt. the display on the mp3 player while its plugged in, says "charging" and then, "charged", but when I check its properties, the battery shows as 0% charged. not a drop of juice.
why? I tried Sansa's site, but they dont even recognize this model of mp3 player...

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 08:02:11 PM
My D key was fixed, with super glue. Almost as if it never fell off now.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 10:15:26 PM
I can build them for you. Just let me know on the IRC at what you're looking for and I'll set a price. No PDAs from me.
Laptops usually start at $650, desktops at $310. As for the payments, usually it's 30-50% prior building it, 50-70% upon receiving your UPS tracking email. Usually I charge an extra $150-250 for my services and shipping. Laptops will be charged more as it takes a lot of my time to solder materials together (and some have monitors that are a pain in the rear to install).

Other than that, you can always give it a shot on pricewatch.com and newegg.com. I'd never recommend DeLL, HP, Compaq or Gateway. Toshiba's reasonable but still rather overpriced. Alienware = DeLL btw. Affordable and compatible modern computers could be found from ASUS and SAGER. MSI's alright but their customer service blows 50% of the time. People who wants a reliable workstation, boxxtech.com would be the way to go but very costly.
If only I had a job, I would have money, and would totally take you up on your offers.
But sadly, I am a bum living with his parents out in the boonies where there is literally nothing for job openings...at all.

Offline Ninja Lou

• Samurai/Ninja of RPM
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Ninjas........Damn
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 12:20:48 AM
My PC was running hot, so I got a pitcher of ice cold water and poured it into the tower. Long story short, after the resulting fire my PC won't turn  on anymore. What do I do?

This post has been approved by Marle!

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 12:33:02 AM
My PC was running hot, so I got a pitcher of ice cold water and poured it into the tower. Long story short, after the resulting fire my PC won't turn  on anymore. What do I do?

Left Left Left, Right Right Right, Up Up Up, then restart when you hear the ring chime.

Offline Sparky

• Игра закончена
  • A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 04:06:59 AM
Guys, I have this weird problem.

Just today, Firefox's history library was cleared and the sidebar history couldn't be modified. After shutting down my computer, ALL OF IT just vanished and it now can no longer save history. Did I do something wrong or do I have to reinstall this browser?

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 12:29:01 PM
If it truly is as you say, your profile might be corrupted. You'll have to create a new profile, and restore your bookmarks from the old one.

1. Go to the Run prompt in your Start Menu, and type firefox -profilemanager, then press Enter. This'll open up the profile manager.
2. Create a new profile, name it whatever you want, and CLOSE the browser once the profile is created. (You might want to UNcheck "Do not ask at startup" for the next few steps, or leave it unchecked permanently like me -- I'll tell you why later.)
3. Go to the Run prompt again, and type %appdata%, and press Enter. This'll take you to your Application Data folder.
4. Inside AppData, locate the Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles folder.
5. You'll see two folders there; both will have a random string at the start; one will probably end with "default" and the other with the name you just gave your new profile. Enter "default".
6. Inside "default", locate the bookmarks.html file, and copy it to the OTHER folder (the one with your new profile), replacing the new file.
7. Run firefox -profilemanager again, and pick your shiny new profile. It should have the bookmarks from your old profile, and you can restart from there.

I myself keep the profile manager always active because my main profile is somewhat clogged with quite a few things, so I always keep a light profile with only a few extensions (the Google toolbar and two or three others) for quickly checking stuff. For all my main navigation I use the main profile. Hope this helps.

Offline Flok

• Passionate Gamer
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Killsringman
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 01:53:42 PM
I have a minor issue which worked fine in Internet Explorer, but in Mozilla Firefox I cannot seem to cut and paste any bookmark link to one of my folders on my hard drive. I am really annoyed by this because I want to keep my bookmarks as organized as possible. People have told me to install a certain bookmark add-on but I just cannot seem to find the correct one. Remember, I want the bookmarks to be able to get pasted to my hard drive, and not pasted inside the bookmark section.

Flok's favorites:

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 06:01:16 PM
Why so? If you need your bookmarks to be MOBILE, you can just look for your profile folder and copy your Bookmarks file (located in %appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[yourprofilefolder]\bookmarks.html).