Maybe I just like Mega Man games too much...

Da Dood · 5912

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
on: February 22, 2009, 11:43:35 PM
... but I've been toying with this idea since forever.

I made a full chart of every single enemy in Mega Man 3 (all 40) and how much damage each weapon causes. Since weapons in Mega Man games rarely have absolute value in comparison, the number next to each weapon shows how many shots it takes to kill the enemy.

I know it's borderline insanity, but I actually had a lot of fun doing this and wouldn't mind seeing more. I found out interesting bits about enemy-weapon interaction in MM3, like how pretty much half of Wily's lesser army have an exclusive weakness or a very recommended counter, keeping in line with the premise of the series. If you were ever looking for proof that Top Spin is a powerhouse, well, 19 out of 38 OHKOs is a fine number.

Enjoy!

Chart 1
Chart 2
Chart 3
Chart 4
Chart 5
Chart 6
Chart 7
Chart 8

Note: For the bullet-like enemy in Snake Man's level, one extra hit per weapon is necessary in order to dispose of the cloudy cloak.
Another note: If you're curious about how much damage the regular P weapon causes, just look at the Needle Cannon. They both deal the same exact amount of damage to regular enemies.

(Also, if this has been done before, please just politely whistle and nod along!)

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:53:39 PM
I had the same idea for a page myself, but with a screencap of each enemy in-game, that I'll use soon. Good work~ ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 11:55:11 PM
cool stuff.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 12:18:46 AM
Have you visited the "Input on an all-inclusive Endless Stage application..." topic yet?  I linked a file I've been working on that contains damage data for all the enemies for several games, including 3.  http://www.box.net/shared/5xg58xncfa

I made it in Excel, though, and I didn't put in cool graphics like you.  I think I might put up a page with the tables in simple HTML format once I finish Rockman Megaworld.

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 01:51:44 AM
Hmm im just only curious about where you found images of all the enemies artwork like that, at ?

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 01:27:31 PM
I got them from some Mega Man wiki that I can't recall right now.

Thanks guys!

Offline BaconMan

• Robot Master
  • Get Equipped With Bacon Slice
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 03:32:54 PM
I got them from some Mega Man wiki that I can't recall right now.

Thanks guys!

Probably the MegaMan HomePage (MMHP). That's probably the perfect place for a database like this to go/be mirrored to, as well! :)

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 11:28:07 PM
Nah, MMHP only uses those recolored NES sprites to represent the items and characters as far as I know.  But the damage tables on that site did inspire me to start making my own, only for all the enemies rather than just the bosses.  I think that finding out the hit points of everything and then how much each weapon takes off will be more useful because you will know exactly what happens if you switch weapons in the middle of fighting one character.

Da Dood might be thinking of this wiki: http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_Wiki  That's where I got most of the enemy names, anyway, though I don't know how accurate all their research is.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 11:43:06 PM
It looks like you might as well use normal buster for enemies instead of using special weapons... :\

But either way, good job. It looks like it took a lot of effort! :)

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 01:12:12 AM
I'm sure we won't find many enemies with more than 8 HP in other 8-bit Mega Man games. The buster is more than enough, it's always been like that. Still, we shouldn't look at this as if the only variable element is damage, because there's more to consider. Mobility and size of enemies will make some weapons more effective than others for example.

Some enemies have shield properties (stomper) while others will shoot projectiles that block your weapon (like the hedgehog), so if you use their weakness, you'll get rid of them faster and with less effort. In the hedgehog's case, one Gemini Laser kills it as opposed to 6-8 buster shots and a mashed B button. The giant slinky can be killed with two fast Gemini Laser shots instead of a long stream of 8 buster shots and the homing missile tracking down Mega Man.

Plus, at least in my opinion it's a lot more fun to play Mega Man games using weapons as much as possible.

I think I got the names and images from a very detailed wiki page with dark background. But it's been a while, 3 months least.

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 02:24:51 AM

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 04:19:30 PM
Pretty nice.  I like the use of graphics.  This is one of those things that the fandom hasn't covered, but which is really interesting.  I wouldn't mind putting something like this on my site, or seeing other sites with this sort of info in a chart. 

Joe Collins made a similar chart for the Wily Wars / Mega World which I turned into a Mandi-inspired style.

http://themechanicalmaniacs.com/articles/MWCodesnData.php

MMN has the most stage enemy art .... although those with scans of R20 won't go far wrong either. 

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 05:33:55 PM
Thanks a lot!

It won't be hard to do this for all 8-bit titles at least. We do have original art like MM3's enemies for all games available somewhere, right?

Bag of Magic Food, yeah, it was probably MMN. Their list of enemies is even in alphabetical order like mine, so I probably got their images one by one.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 04:05:22 AM
Thanks a lot!

It won't be hard to do this for all 8-bit titles at least. We do have original art like MM3's enemies for all games available somewhere, right?

Bag of Magic Food, yeah, it was probably MMN. Their list of enemies is even in alphabetical order like mine, so I probably got their images one by one.
Well ... we have most of them anyway.  I think the Wily Machine for the Gameboy titles (thinking of 3) and Ballade's second form have no artwork shown.  Esoteric things like that.  Plus the various destructable blocks, if you wanna be super thourough like Bag was.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 03:11:29 PM
Oh, I see. I hope at least all regular stage enemies and mini-bosses are covered.

Have you guys seen this Mega Man 3 trick, by the way? (Skip to 2:40-ish.) Apparently fighting Doc Bubble with Rush Marine is awesome because his A.I. is dumb as a door.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 07:40:00 PM
Oh, I see. I hope at least all regular stage enemies and mini-bosses are covered.

Have you guys seen this Mega Man 3 trick, by the way? (Skip to 2:40-ish.) Apparently fighting Doc Bubble with Rush Marine is awesome because his A.I. is dumb as a door.

It also applies to Mega Man 2's bubble Man. Although it is not quite as easy because you do not have either Rush Marine or Rush Jet. But I can confirm the AI of Doc Robot Bubble Man is the same as in MM2. ;)