SUSPENSE! MM9 Remix Project on the Horizon

Rock Miyabi · 11883

Offline Rock Miyabi

• THE ORIGINAL Jammin' Ninja
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
on: February 16, 2009, 01:49:44 AM

While there isn't much substance to this news quite yet, keep an eye out on a new Mega Man 9 Remix Project from some of the talented members of OverClocked ReMix.

You might recognize many of the mixers who have signed up for the project already, from their own original works to their efforts on other OCR projects like Final Fantasy 7's Voices of the Lifestream or the more recent, Capcom-approved Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Official Soundtrack. (:O artists like bLiNd and Danimal Cannon and Mazedude and Vurez, oh my!) There are plenty of excellent guitarists in that batch, so it definitely should excite those who perhaps felt a little disappointed with the direction of the Rockman 9 Arrange Soundtrack.

Everything is still in the early stages, but it looks like this could be a cool album and a great piece of fanwork in our community. Perhaps by April we might actually have some samples to listen to.

Previously was K.G. Inafunbags, Captain Heady, Damon Gant, and the guy who liked the blue bomber solely for the reason that he was blue.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 01:52:59 AM
Oh wow! I loved both those remix soundtracks you mentioned.
I can't wait to hear how cool MM9 will sound~ owo

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 03:14:21 AM
AWESOME news.  Besides We Are The Robots, the RM9 AST blew pretty hard.  So here's hoping we get a PROPER remix of Thunder Tornado!

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 05:37:25 AM
I'm curious to see what the OCRemix boys do to the MM9 soundtrack given the AST.

Offline Shinichameleon / Nayim

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 01:58:08 PM
I'm curious to see what the OCRemix boys do to the MM9 soundtrack given the AST.

Agreed  :D

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 02:58:49 PM
I REALLY like that animation there... Poor Met... XD
And interesting, this will be awesome, that's for sure.

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 03:06:24 PM
this gets a big "meh" from me

With a few notable exceptions, OCRemixes are... crap.

Offline Sniper X

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 05:24:59 PM

Well... that is your opinion. I would like to see how it goes.

Offline ST Jestah

• Procastinator Extraordinair
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Just chilling in the Nexus.
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 05:27:55 PM

I agree with you on that. I didn't like most of their remixes either, but there is a chance of this project having better remixes then the AST
I don't know about some of you but the AST of MM9 was (to me at least) a plate of meh with a side of okay.

PS: excuse the bad grammar (if there is any, if not then I get this cookie of MASSIVE DESTRUCTION!! :cookie: )

Offline MegaFreak2

• "That one crazy guy"
  • Cyberelf
  • Spartan Baby is not amused.
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 08:52:35 PM
Ah yes, I heard about this. I hang around the OCR community a lot. I'm looking forward to hearing what some of the guys like Audix, Vurez, and Mazedude do with the soundtrack.

Quote from: Asvel
Sparta? THIS! IS! DAYCAAAAAAAAAAARE!!

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 10:47:26 PM
Oh yes, it can hardly be worse than the AST; dayum, but that one came nowhere near to aiming at being satisfactory.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 05:27:55 AM
Vurez you say? Yummy.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 05:33:25 AM
Do want highly. Then again, I'm all in it if I get to hear another awesome Magma Man rendition and a truly great Strange World (Wily Stage 3 & secret best song of Megaman 9) remix at the least.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 05:34:50 AM
Give SnappleMan and co. Wily Stage 1/Flash in the Dark.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 07:30:07 AM
I love Vurez's work on Mega Man 6 tracks. =o

Offline Mic Snipers the 13th

• Rocks out like a
  • Net Navi
  • Boom. Headshot.
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 03:05:51 AM
I'm going to keep an eye on this, because I wasn't too thrilled with the arranged version myself.

Icon Powered by Spies

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 06:44:07 PM
I agree with you on that. I didn't like most of their remixes either, but there is a chance of this project having better remixes then the AST
Something I hadn't thought of is the reason many OCRs tend to blow, especially recent ones.  And really, it's because the OCR community generally maintains the same attitude as was taken with the RM9 AST, which is they think that staying too faithful to the original is some kind of sin.  And believe me, I'm not fond of their "quality control" either.  Nobody who rejects Darkesword's Beamsabre Beat can be trusted in my book.

But the fact that they're doing a remix project for a game which already has an album of the same approach leaves some possible glimmer of hope.  Maybe they'll actually do something that shows better respect to the atmosphere of the originals for a change, since it's the only way they can actually be unique this time.  I guess we'll see.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 12:08:55 AM
Just remember, the RM9 AST are arrangements, not remixes.  There's a difference.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 12:11:17 AM
Normally I don't quote and say "This" but it calls for it here.

Just remember, the RM9 AST are arrangements, not remixes.  There's a difference.

This.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 05:53:58 AM
Well, tell that to the OCR crew.

Offline DarkeSword

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 07:28:33 PM
Something I hadn't thought of is the reason many OCRs tend to blow, especially recent ones.  And really, it's because the OCR community generally maintains the same attitude as was taken with the RM9 AST, which is they think that staying too faithful to the original is some kind of sin.

Nope.  I think everyone on the staff loves a good, faithful cover of old video game music.  I listen to a lot of stuff like Remastered Tracks Rockman Zero, which is basically just originals+better samples/live guitar.  Nobody views it as a "sin" to make that kind of arrangement.  But OCR's goal is to show that video game music is really strong melodically and harmonically, that it can be adapted in a number of ways.  Just because we reject something for being "too similar" to the source track doesn't mean we're saying "this is bad music."  We're saying "we're not going to offer you free hosting and exposure for just performing the original composition; you have to do some work yourself."  That means looking at the song, analyzing it, understanding it, really appreciating its core, and turning that into something new.

And believe me, I'm not fond of their "quality control" either.  Nobody who rejects Darkesword's Beamsabre Beat can be trusted in my book.

Except that after the first version of the track was rejected, I went back and fixed it up based on suggestions I got and resubmitted it, after which it was posted to the site.

And let's be serious: the first version of Beamsabre Beat ZERO sounds terrible.  Bad sound choices, no SFX; it's just a bad texture all around.  I never should have submitted version 1 in the first place.  You know what I do when version 1 comes up on my MP3 player?  I skip it.  I'd take it down from my website, but it's been out for such a long time that it'd do no good.  Plus it's kind of nice to illustrate the evolution of a track.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 06:47:25 PM
Well, with all due respect, I think you're nuts.  I'll readily admit that v2 is my preferred version, but v1 is far from terrible.  Also OCR's commentary on v2 wasn't exactly raving, either.  You deserved MUCH better.

That means looking at the song, analyzing it, understanding it, really appreciating its core, and turning that into something new.
Unfortunately that rarely works as well in practice as it does in theory.  I can count the artists who have impressed me that way on one hand, and yes you are one of the first to come to mind.  They put together some spectacular stuff.  But most of the people who attempt to create something new that way, professional or not, wind up with a mess of a result that offers no appreciation to the original's core at all.  Respecting the source material doesn't mean limiting yourself to just covering the original version with better instruments; but most so-called artists can't find that happy balance.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 07:40:37 PM
I guess it's just the usual, 90% of everything is crap.