ASK HERE BEFORE YOU BUY!

Rin · 1076

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
on: December 08, 2010, 08:58:40 AM
Hey, guize. I wanted to ask for advice and PERRRSONAL opinions.
So, I'm considering buying The Orange Box (which, if you don't know contains Half Life 2, Half Life 2 EP1-2, Portal and Team Fortress) for dirt cheap.
Even though I suck at FPS, and I kinda never really got into them... would it be wise to buy it? I mean, is this pack of games GOOD or is it SUPA GOOD?
How are they with online play?

And [tornado fang] it, let's make it a general thread for this type of questions.

[spoiler]Gabe is FAAAT![/spoiler]

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 11:44:11 PM
They're all high-quality games, though if you don't like FPSes much you'll probably get the most enjoyment out of Portal, and that one is only like 8 hours of play long. Orange Box was a steal then, I imagine it's even moreso now.
TF2 is famous (swiftly becoming infamous for all the added content) online gameplay, the others are all singleplayer. Or well, there is HL2DM, but I don't think anyone plays that anymore?
There are plenty of Source mods that do have multiplayer very different from any of the above, but none that are really popular.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 11:52:46 PM
They're all high-quality games, though if you don't like FPSes much you'll probably get the most enjoyment out of Portal, and that one is only like 8 hours of play long. Orange Box was a steal then, I imagine it's even moreso now.
TF2 is famous (swiftly becoming infamous for all the added content) online gameplay, the others are all singleplayer. Or well, there is HL2DM, but I don't think anyone plays that anymore?
There are plenty of Source mods that do have multiplayer very different from any of the above, but none that are really popular.
I see. Well then, thanks.
I'm going to skip out on this, but I might buy it some time later.

I'm leaving this thread open for anybody who has similar questions to mine.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 11:56:17 PM
I bought it day one and it was still a friggin steal.
Any cheaper and it's a friggin' steal as well.

And don't worry, TF2 is a massively multiplayer hat simulator, not a first person shooter.
You'll enjoy it in due time...just like the rest of us, with our shiny hats.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 12:23:23 AM
* Align stopped playing tf2 mere months before the hats went critical mass and the fanbase started adding their own weapons and oh god what kind of game is this