Want to draw (again)

Crimson Lightning · 3740

Offline Crimson Lightning

• Hows the weather look today?
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Not too bad
    • View Profile
on: August 19, 2009, 09:21:39 PM
since im spendin a lot of time in school and getting bored i decided to draw again, the last time i drew was back in middle school and since gaming and internet decreased my drawing, so if anyone wants, think you can give me some pointers on drawing again? -u-' there will be free cookies btw  :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

Offline Afro-Shroom

• King of the N00bs
  • Master's Unit
  • DWII's Lab Expirement Verifier
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 10:09:25 PM
* ~w~*

Hm...There's no one real secret to it but the best thing you can do is practice, experiment and push your self to improve...But that's just my opinion.

"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning grip tells me to defeat you! Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! Shining Finger!!~ "

"This hand of mine is burning red! It's loud roar tells me to grasp victory! Erupting...Burning...FINGER!!!~"
-----
That one Nun...

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:13:20 PM
Practice really makes perfect. The more time you spend on it per day...
but i dont recommend going too hard at it, not much money in being able to draw well
Being able to draw new and interesting is more important if you're planning on selling million-dollar paintings.

Offline Sniper X

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 10:59:27 PM
School, gaming and internet also decreased my drawings. XD Now, the first thing I usually do is to find tutorials. Search in Deviantart and see what kind of drawings you like. For example, like anime style, western style, realism potrait style or probably drawing mecha. Then search for tutorials on how to draw it. If you want to draw a human, you have learn anatomy. If you want me to make a tutorial, well, I never make a tutorial before and I'm bad at explaining. :\

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Not too bad
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 11:24:15 PM
thanks for the suggestions and sniper i'll look at the tutorials, im sure you'd do great at it XD

im always open for pointers and sugeestions 8)

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 11:36:41 PM
In my humble opinion, the golden rule of drawing is to experiment and find your own style; you can draw stunning works of art and impress the masses with a style that everybody knows and likes, but the way I see it, a little doodle in your own unique style is just as nice. Maybe not as popular or aesthetically appealing, but a self-drawn, self-styled picture just has that unique little charm. I occasionally look at tutorials, but often they just don't suit me, so I just take the basic hints from them and work from there. If you're still a "beginner", it's okay to trace or "copy" other images, but remember that this will do you no real good in the long run - you have to learn to draw by yourself. Also, don't worry if your work looks crap at first; everybody who likes to draw, myself included - heck, myself especially - will most likely have a stash of older drawings they aren't very fond of. As you improve, try looking back at your older work and see how much you've improved, then strive to improve further.

Short version: start simple and develop your own style as you go. Practice really does make perfect.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 04:46:35 AM
Also, get yourself a small library of art books.  Either coffee table art books for when you're short on ideas and looking for inspiration, or art instruction books.  Many of the books by Christopher Hart are a good investment.  I have several stashed around.  They'll give you instruction on areas you feel you need to improve and show you shortcuts, techniques, and styles. 

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 05:16:50 AM
Like fingers? Fingers suck to draw

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 05:37:17 AM
Fingers, hands, feet... Those are notorious for being tricky to draw.  But when it comes to hands, an artist always has their free hand to reference from.  Unless you only have one hand, in which case, borrow a friend.

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Not too bad
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 05:54:00 AM
i will keep that in mind and i'll look for those books and maybe just maybe i'll post the results XD ;) 8)

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 06:30:49 AM
Books that should help:

Human Anatomy Made Amazingly Easy by Christopher Hart
Drawing Comics the Marvel Way by Stan Lee and John Buscema

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 06:44:44 AM
That second one is one I wanna look into. I've wanted to curb the anime influence in my drawing and go for a more american comic style

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 09:05:43 AM
the only thing I can say to help is I've always always always been told to only draw for yourself.  Don't draw with hopes of money or attention, jus draw for your own enjoyment and fun, if things come about as a result then that's otay too.   Don't know if that actual helps though o.o

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 01:14:39 PM
the only thing I can say to help is I've always always always been told to only draw for yourself.  Don't draw with hopes of money or attention, jus draw for your own enjoyment and fun, if things come about as a result then that's otay too.   Don't know if that actual helps though o.o

Actually, this is probably the best advice I've ever heard on drawing. So very true. Unless you want to become an illustrator or something like that, drawing should be a hobby, not an obigation.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 01:35:01 PM
Yet you won't improve without ambitions.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 08:09:10 PM
I draw to show it off to others. Is that ambitious enough?

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 08:13:52 PM
Yet you won't improve without ambitions.

y-yes well, that's probably why I'm still not good at all ^^;  I wasn't sure that would help, jus what people have always said.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 08:15:12 PM
Cephi you shouldn't always back down.

It's not like I disagreed or anything.

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Not too bad
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 04:13:51 AM
hmmmm that is really great advice and helps too 8)