Align · 343288

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #2075 on: February 29, 2016, 07:27:06 PM
So this Friday is the big day in the U.S., with the e-Shop already sporting Twilight Princess's Hyrule Field music.  'course, my pre-order is coming through the mail, so I'll likely need to wait a bit longer.

STILL hating the lack of remote/nunchuck controls...

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #2076 on: February 29, 2016, 09:13:10 PM
Didn't they say it was too much work just to remap Link's sides and that's why they mirrored the whole world?

Seeing as how TP HD is just a retextured touched up port of an already finished game I'm sure the same applies.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #2077 on: March 05, 2016, 03:30:34 PM
1. The game IS mirrored in Hero Mode.

2. The motion controls of Twilight Princess were not one-to-one, so Link being left-handed would not be a deal-breaker by any stretch.  I for one would rather aim my bow/clawshot/whatever with an actual pointer than by waving a freaking tablet in the air.  Not to mention I was really fond of nunchuck shield attacks, made the Helm Splitter all the more satisfying.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #2078 on: March 09, 2016, 07:37:40 PM
So, game came in the mail on Monday.  CD was short but sweet.

I don't appreciate the lack of a nunchuck spin attack as normal Link, but I can deal with it.  What I was not expecting is how much I positively HATE the lack of remote/nunchuck controls as Wolf Link.  On the Wii, you had separate inputs for normal, spin, and Midna's energy field attacks.  In HD, all three are on the B button.

The spin attack is useless because it only works if you hold B and release before Midna locks on to anything.  The other two attacks are unresponsive, as the game positively SUCKS at trying to anticipate which attack you're trying to use.  I mash B repeatedly and it takes three or four times before the game figures out that I'm trying to do a normal attack and not charge Midna's energy field.  Conversely, if I begin holding B at the wrong time, nothing happens.

This all makes the Cave of Shadows much, much more frustrating than it should be.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #2079 on: March 09, 2016, 09:43:38 PM
The spin attack is useless because it only works if you hold B and release before Midna locks on to anything.  The other two attacks are unresponsive, as the game positively SUCKS at trying to anticipate which attack you're trying to use.  I mash B repeatedly and it takes three or four times before the game figures out that I'm trying to do a normal attack and not charge Midna's energy field.  Conversely, if I begin holding B at the wrong time, nothing happens.

This all makes the Cave of Shadows much, much more frustrating than it should be.

I've never used it much myself, but from years of watching speedruns, quickspins are a godsend.

I haven't played TPHD yet. I've heard from a bunch of people that Epona controls suck. Are they too loose or something?

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #2080 on: March 10, 2016, 03:44:29 PM
If anything, the opposite.  I didn't dig out the old version to compare, but you really need to crank the control stick to get her to turn in HD.  It's nothing I can't adjust to.  I'm mystified as to who exactly thought it would be an improvement, though.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #2081 on: March 18, 2016, 03:20:52 PM
Nintendo's been releasing details of its DLC plans for Hyrule Warriors Legends.

You can pay to download Legends' characters/trident weapon on WiiU without purchasing the 3DS game, but you'll not be able to do so until sometime in the summer.  And it's all one bundle, no picking and choosing.  Twelve bucks, a little steep for something you'd get for free with a game purchase, but seeings how it's the SAME game plus fairies minus visuals...eh, I guess.  What I'm wondering is if that pack will include the WW/Linkle stories, or if they will remain 3DS exclusive.

There will be four DLC packs for Legends released throughout 2016 (Master Wind Waker, Link's Awakening, Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks, and Link Between Worlds), with corresponding WiiU versions, and your expected bundling/price saving shpiel.  New maps, a couple new characters, alt weapons for Toon Link and Linkle.  Fun fact: WiiU-only Season Pass is LESS than the Legends character pack, and Nintendo notes that if you buy the WiiU DLC without buying either Legends or the character pack, you will wind up with alt-weapon-only versions of Toon Link and Linkle on your WiiU.

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #2082 on: March 23, 2016, 07:17:49 PM
That sounds like a rip-off if I ever heard one.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #2083 on: March 27, 2016, 11:53:15 AM
Linkle is [tornado fang]ing adorable.  <3

Also Marin confirmed as the Links Awakening DLC character.  :)

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #2084 on: April 10, 2016, 10:14:20 PM
Does Linkle have her own story in Legends? Is it worth getting?

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #2085 on: April 10, 2016, 10:27:49 PM
Yeah her story is kind of based on Majora's Mask in a way while she herself is more based on Zelda's Crossbow Training. 

As for if Legends is worth it well it depends on if you have a Wii U with the original and if you have a New 3DS, which I know you don't in this case.  The game is much better on the New 3DS than the normal 3DS, the frame rate is much more stable and predictable than the normal 3DS.

[yt]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4p0pI018jQ0#[/yt]

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #2086 on: April 10, 2016, 10:43:47 PM
I don't have the original, no. The original always struck me as a game that I might buy at $40, but not really at $60 which is why I'm interested in the 3DS version. Plus, Linkle. I want more Linkle in other games, so I feel like I need to support the game. But I also heard that the new Zelda game will have a gender option when starting a new game.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2087 on: April 10, 2016, 10:46:55 PM
That's only a rumor that hasn't been confirmed yet at the moment.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #2088 on: April 10, 2016, 10:52:40 PM
As for the New 3DS, the ten FPS drop doesn't bother me that much. I'm sure I'll eventually get a New 3DS anyway. Plus, I never play any games with 3D on, so I don't mind that I can't use 3D. The graphics on the Wii U version, though. Pretty neato. Paying $100 for a game that I originally didn't want to pay $60 for seems kinda silly.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2089 on: April 10, 2016, 10:56:08 PM
Yeah like I said it's really up to you and your budget, in that case I say Legends would probably be your best bet here.  Keep in mind that the resolution will always look worse with a Youtube video so it'll look better on your 3DS.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #2090 on: April 10, 2016, 11:02:29 PM
As for Zelda Wii U, we'll see what they say about it on the Direct. They gotta talk about it this year. But I suppose the star will be the NX, if they really are releasing it this year.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2091 on: April 10, 2016, 11:06:53 PM
Yeah I'm not believing in any leaks until E3 or a Direct since we barely have info on either, and I personally doubt the NX is coming this year.  Next year seems more likely to me.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #2092 on: April 11, 2016, 12:48:21 AM
Unpopular opinion, might sound misogynist, but I really don't want there to be a gender option in Zelda U. I feel like it'd break the tradition and that there's no point in it aside from Nintendo pandering to SJWs. The franchise went 30 years with nobody caring for a gender choice. Other Nintendo IPs like Fire Emblem and Pokemon started allowing for it but nobody complained about Zelda. There just doesn't seem a point to it.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2093 on: April 11, 2016, 12:51:15 AM
I say it depends on how they incorporate it in the game and if they do it well but I kind of agree to an extent.  I'm not against it but I don't really think it's necessary either.  On the other hand I'm not against breaking tradition either if they do it right, traditon shouldn't be something that holds you back.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #2094 on: April 11, 2016, 12:55:58 AM
I mean, if it's qt Linkle I wouldn't necessarily complain. (Especially if your choice DOESN'T impact dialogue or gameplay, I hate games that do this).

I'd just rather instead of putting in the extra work of modeling and animating (ubisoft joke insert here) they focus on the other elements of the game.

Anyways it's just a rumor, so nothing to get worked up about.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #2095 on: April 11, 2016, 01:00:29 AM
If it doesn't change the game, what does it matter? You can still play as a male hero and your experience won't change; however, some of us enjoy playing as women in our video games now and then and this is a feature people have been asking for about a decade. I remember making posts about it on this very forum about six years ago, so it's hardly recent.

Also, trying to appeal to 50% of the population is hardly pandering. It's bad business not to try to get more girls playing video games.

P.S. SJWs? Really? Get out of here with that Youtube drama bullshit.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #2096 on: April 11, 2016, 01:14:42 AM
Whoa, calm down. I'm referring more to the drama regarding Allison Rapp and Fire Emblem/Bravely Second botched translations. When it comes to the whole "SJW youtube drama bullshit", Nintendo is in a bad place. It's only natural I'm holding them suspect.

Now if you have a problem with my opinions, then that's your right. Please don't get upset however when I already stated that if it doesn't make a big change in game content I'm fine with it.

Fact of the matter is the majority (I'd venture to say all) of the females I've met who play Zelda have absolutely NO problem with male Link being the only option, so I can't say I've got any experience with the other side of the argument. If you've got stuff to present, I'd like you to enlighten me? I'm totally down for discussion on the matter.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #2097 on: April 11, 2016, 01:18:16 AM
I feel like it'd break the tradition and that there's no point in it aside from Nintendo pandering to SJWs. The franchise went 30 years with nobody caring for a gender choice.

#1. Tradition should never hold one back from trying something new. Like, ever. If it did, you'd never get anything new. For example, the last season of Doctor Who had the Doctor using Sonic Shades instead of his traditional Sonic Screwdriver. When Moffat was asked why, he pretty much just said "Because we can!"

#2. It's not that the franchise went 30 years with nobody caring for a gender choice. It's that the people that did care and have always cared have never had as vocal an outlet to mention it to others before the internet. That is what has changed. Not the caring, but rather the ability to let your cares be known.

There is no greater example of this than the new Star Wars movie. There are so many women out there who literally cried that Rey wound up being the main character of the movie. That she wield the lightsaber. They've been waiting forever to see something like that. My friend's wife did, as the original Star Wars movies are some of her favorite films ever. My 11 year old niece was super happy about it.

Personally, I've always wanted them to make a Legend of Zelda game about Zelda, or put a Playable Zelda in a Zelda game. I think it'd be great. But if they decide to give the option to switch the gender of the main character (Link/Linkle/etc) then I don't see the big deal. Very very rarely have I come across a game when having multiple options is a bad thing.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2098 on: April 11, 2016, 01:19:08 AM
Whoa, calm down. I'm referring more to the drama regarding Allison Rapp and Fire Emblem/Bravely Second botched translations. When it comes to the whole "SJW youtube drama bullshit", Nintendo is in a bad place. It's only natural I'm holding them suspect.

Now if you have a problem with my opinions, then that's your right. Please don't get upset however when I already stated that if it doesn't make a big change in game content I'm fine with it.

Fact of the matter is the majority (I'd venture to say all) of the females I've met who play Zelda have absolutely NO problem with male Link being the only option, so I can't say I've got any experience with the other side of the argument. If you've got stuff to present, I'd like you to enlighten me? I'm totally down for discussion on the matter.
This is nothing compared to the Alison Rapp controvesey, that's hardly comperable to a gender choice that would only have a minor affect on the game.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #2099 on: April 11, 2016, 01:24:54 AM
I think the root of my issues with it is that changing characters tends to change the narrative too much and as someone with not nearly enough time to explore games multiple times, that really bugs me. Stuff like the last Assassin's Creed and some JRPGs with changeable characters end up messing up the flow of the entire game since stuff changes between both characters.

Like, if NOTHING changes if you can pick between Link/Linkle, then it's fine. However, if the two end up having different playstyles or different dialogues, I don't think I could justify playing the game twice to get the full experience.

I can understand your point regarding tradition though. It just seems strange since Zelda has sort of had a formula that gave it some consistent lore. (IE the cycle of Link rescuing Zelda and stopping Ganon). To be fair though that cycle's been broken up a few times now anyway so I can understand if they deviate further.

Personally, I've always wanted them to make a Legend of Zelda game about Zelda, or put a Playable Zelda in a Zelda game. I think it'd be great. But if they decide to give the option to switch the gender of the main character (Link/Linkle/etc) then I don't see the big deal. Very very rarely have I come across a game when having multiple options is a bad thing.

Now THIS I would have disagreed with some time ago but when that Clockwork Empire concept released, I was really excited for it and wanted to see something like that. I'm totally down for this kind of role reversal now.

This is nothing compared to the Alison Rapp controvesey, that's hardly comperable to a gender choice that would only have a minor affect on the game.

Yeah what I'm saying is I'd have a problem if it was a MAJOR effect on the game. If it's just different models/animations then I don't mind. TBH I may have worded my original post strangely.