Dryspells

Waifu · 1497

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
on: January 25, 2009, 08:15:24 AM
I don't know why but it seems that I have still these creative dryspells to the point where I can no longer muster the patience to read a good fiction story or I have come with ideas but they seem to pale in comparison to other people's ideas. I don't why but it feels as though that I cannot seem to get into "creativity" mode when I stare at a blank piece of paper, I want to write something down but I cannot put it on paper. I usually get ideas from books or after watching shows to get a better understanding of the story of the show but I cannot seem to concentrate on that as well.

I like to thank you all for the tips on writer's block but now I need some help with these "dryspells" that I have. I do not know whether it is seasonal depression or any other psychological matter but I just go to sit down and just read the books I am reading. I have to return to the library and they are overdue as it is but what methods do you suggest that I can utilize to overcome there "dryspells"?

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:57:25 AM
Mental log jams happen.  And here's what Peter David suggests:

If what you're working on isn't coming to you, work on something else.  Anything else.  Another story.  A diary entry.  A poem.  A dirty limerick.  A letter to the editor.  A book on how to write comics.  Anything.

Also, reading.  Read anything and everything.  And not just that, either.  Listen to audio adventures.  You never know, something you read or hear may be just the right thing to spark one hell of a creative brainstorm. 

The same applies to art.  We all have our dry spells.  I've had one this past year and have now gotten outta it.  It was partially due to other things, but dry spells happen.  So, to keep the creativity flowing, I did other things.  I crocheted a scarf.  I took long walks and took pictures.  I started building a Dalek.  I started working on an audio adaptation.  I wrote articles for various wikis.  I wrote up outlines for stories I may some day write.  I kept myself busy.

And I read.  I got out my comics and I read.  I got out my art books and paged through them.  I listened to various audio adventure series.  I watched movies.  I read books. 

When dealing with writer's block or any kind of block, the worst thing you can do is nothing. 

Offline Chulio

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 12:36:19 PM
Yeah, keeping yourself busy is really important.  Finding other artistic avenues to expend your creative energy while being unable to fully jump into writing is the trick.  And like the wicked smart poster above said - keep trying to write.  Just don't feel guilty or angry at yourself, that just makes it worse. 

and above all

play video games until the wee hours of the morning

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:47:34 PM

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 07:51:12 PM
Sadly, I think a good solid majority of us can attest to that article.  The internet has robbed us of our ability to concentrate on reading. 

Along with some people's ability to type in complete, proper, cohesive sentences with decent spelling, grammar, and capitalization.  But I digress...  I like to say that.  It makes me sound smart.  Anywho...

A while back, I decided to read A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs.  The book was relatively short, with great prose and a relatively decent pace.  It was a guaranteed quick read.  However, when I started reading, I was surprised to find myself struggling to keep my concentration.  I found it odd as I read all the time.  Every time I use the computer, I'm reading!  So, why was I having so much trouble?  What happened?  I used to be able to breeze through books!  I used to go through one of my many Star Wars books about one every couple weeks! 

It seemed that the only way I was able to concentrate and focus on reading was if I read the book aloud.  I discussed this with my brother, and he said that he had the same problem.  Granted, he hasn't struggled as much as lately, he's been reading alot more, but still, he had the same problem.  He could only read aloud.  The problem?  The internet. 

Well, while waiting at the laundromat one night, we both decided to read through A Princess of Mars together.  Almost 2/3 of the book was read through that night and I finished the remaining thirty or so pages on my own time later that week.  The book was read aloud.  After that, I started getting into the habit of listening to audio dramas and adventures.  I found that having to concentrate on following a story through audio (audio learning isn't one of my strong suits.  I usually need to take notes.) helped improve my reading concentration.  I was able to read half-way through Coruscant Nights I: Jedi Twilight within a few days.  And I didn't need to read it aloud to keep my concentration.

Perhaps that's one of the reasons I keep pushing audio adventures on people.  Your concentration will thank you.