You know, X and Zero's action poses?

Ramzal · 14328

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
  • Don't sweat the technique.
    • View Profile
on: January 19, 2009, 03:50:26 AM
Yeah, they don't work. I can't think of a worse way to take a stance in a fight. Ever. And when trying to express this to several people, their side on it is "Well, a stance has to be relaxed so you can be ready for anything. A nice, soft and easy stance."

No. And I'll tell you why not. Both X and Zero's faces and chest are exposed. They can easily be hit there, they foot positions make it easy for them to be swept, and their balance looks terrible, and their backs aren't straight. While it is just a game sprite, it's silly when people think it's effective. And anyone dumb enough to take a stance like that in a fight deserve to get their butts kicked. >_>

Just thought I'd get that out there. :V

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 03:56:22 AM

Do you REALLY need to be putting this much thought into it?  Zero's poses include constantly looking over his shoulder in Xtreme2/PS1, and in his own series, feigning a dislocated shoulder.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 04:01:02 AM

Do you REALLY need to be putting this much thought into it?  Zero's poses include constantly looking over his shoulder in Xtreme2/PS1, and in his own series, feigning a dislocated shoulder.

Oh, it actually takes no thought for me at all. Literally. I can just look at stances and tell if they work or not and see their flaws and strengths in a rather short time, and then correct someone. It's kinda part of what I do for a living. (IRL not sprite wise) :P But I just wanted to get it out there due to there actually being people who think these things work. It's flabbergasting.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 04:05:42 AM
But where would we be if the main character didn't hold his fist in front of his face, ever ready to shake it at evildoers?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 04:06:43 AM
Indeed. 8)

Sprites exist to look cool, not to be practical.  If you're stuck arguing against the brain-dead who do not realize this, bequeath them a boot to the head and move on.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 04:23:34 AM
And thus the "rule of cool" usually prevails.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 04:33:23 AM
THANKS FOR ENLIGHTENING ME MAN!

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 04:35:51 AM
Thank you for having nothing better to do.

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 04:37:32 AM
Oh, I can always find some time to seek enlightenment. Always.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 04:40:00 AM
Yeah, they don't work. I can't think of a worse way to take a stance in a fight. Ever. And when trying to express this to several people, their side on it is "Well, a stance has to be relaxed so you can be ready for anything. A nice, soft and easy stance."

Technically with their giant ass armor boots, feet...they shouldn't be able to walk either.  The opening X3 Anime makes me laugh every time!  XD

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 04:43:41 AM
At least I know I'm not crazy or the only man alive--being reduced to tears of laughter at that intro. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 04:48:37 AM
Also, at the sake of expressing my philosophical futuristic nerdvana, did it ever occur to you that perhaps in the future, different fighting techniques and stances may have been developed that today's present fighting experts never thought of or might not be aware of?   8D

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 04:50:24 AM
Wow, that's really thoughtful and informative! Too bad I don't care.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 04:53:50 AM
who would ever think those poses actually work? Ive once done Zeros X4-5 sprite pose, and it is VERY uncomfortable. but then again, Ive also tried Dashing AND air dashing, so...

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 12:02:33 PM
You know, X and Zero's action poses?
Yeah, they don't work.
Simple answer: Rule Of Cool.

[/thread]

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 05:14:50 PM
Both X and Zero's faces and chest are exposed. They can easily be hit there, they foot positions make it easy for them to be swep

[objection!]

Who the [tornado fang] cares when you're dealing with COLLISION DAMAGE?!

Offline Robert Oakes

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 05:21:48 PM
Logical or not, X's stance in X4-6 actually looks pretty pathetic.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 05:46:31 PM
Because he IS kinda pathetic

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 05:56:37 PM
He'd be fine if his breathing movements didn't look like his legs fell asleep.

[objection!]
Who the [tornado fang] cares when you're dealing with COLLISION DAMAGE?!
I award Zan the internet (and at no extra charge, a magic fish for his own use).

VERY old, but relevant

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 08:52:09 PM
Also, at the sake of expressing my philosophical futuristic nerdvana, did it ever occur to you that perhaps in the future, different fighting techniques and stances may have been developed that today's present fighting experts never thought of or might not be aware of?   8D

If it is, than god help the future my friend. :P

The main problem is their leg positions. Say that Zero is facing you with his left leg forward. He's easy to trip due to only to press your left palm on his left forearm and having to take your right foot in a hook, slide it behind his ankle area, and slide your foot towards yourself. Using little to no power while doing this would cause his legs to split and him to fall forward. Also when a new fighting style is made, it is a creation of a previously existing one. Taekwondo is an example of this due to it being a mixture of kicks derived from Kung-Fu. MMA is another example. Even break dancing is something made from movements in Kung-Fu.  When that is done, that art itself gets progressively weaker. If they did make a new style of fighting, and those would be the stances, the style would be relatively weak.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 08:55:42 PM
If they did make a new style of fighting, and those would be the stances, the style would be relatively weak.

Haha, you're missing the point.  My point is that, for all you know these stances that they use have unexpected futuristic fighting styles that have been programmed/developed over time, and that they could indeed be different or superior to present day fighting styles.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 08:59:00 PM
I don't think normal martial arts rules apply to people who can lift several tons and have a rather different body configuration(HUEG FEET), as well as the ability to zip over the ground at speeds rivalling that of modern vehicles, though.

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 09:10:36 PM
Haha, you're missing the point.  My point is that, for all you know these stances that they use have unexpected futuristic fighting styles that have been programmed/developed over time, and that they could indeed be different or superior to present day fighting styles.

Mmm. You know, come to think of it, that's doubtful due to the Sigma vs Zero fight. :P Which that fighting style was uncontrolled punches and kicks. :P But should it have been the case, the stances speak for the fighting style itself. Everything is read from the stance. And in that aspect, no good. And then there are Zero's slashes which are pretty unbalanced too and leave many open spots. Although, who am I to say? I'm not a ropbot that can jump thirty feet up.

I don't think normal martial arts rules apply to people who can lift several tons and have a rather different body configuration(HUEG FEET), as well as the ability to zip over the ground at speeds rivalling that of modern vehicles, though.

I speak from the martial arts and the fighting aspect perspective. But if anything, yeah, those big feet would worsen their fighting ability if anything. And it can apply due to there being Reploids who are very much near the normal build of humans. Marino for one example. Her stance would be an excellent one if she wasn't balancing herself on the ball of her toe and had her entire foot on the ground. It's good though. Just not proper. And while they can lift several tons, that should not be overshadowed by fighting properly. Someone fighting properly and smart against someone who's just insanely strong--the proper one will win. Hank Prym vs Captain America is an example. :P

And if anyone tells me I'm thinking too much about this, I'd care to point you to those gigantic Megaman timelines that we have. :P

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 09:12:31 PM
The main problem is their leg positions. Say that Zero is facing you with his left leg forward. He's easy to trip due to only to press your left palm on his left forearm and having to take your right foot in a hook, slide it behind his ankle area, and slide your foot towards yourself. Using little to no power while doing this would cause his legs to split and him to fall forward.
Impossible.  Zero would flinch from contact with your palm, and your leg is not equipped to break damage barriers.

That and, barring X5, Zero lacks the sprites necessary to fall.

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 09:14:23 PM
Impossible.  Zero would flinch from contact with your palm, and your leg is not equipped to break damage barriers.

That and, barring X5, Zero lacks the sprites necessary to fall.

Somehow, I don't think this will end well.  -u-'