Nintendo Switch coming in March 2017

Protoman Blues · 40156

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #200 on: February 28, 2017, 10:46:07 PM
They better put Adventures of Mana on it then.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #201 on: March 01, 2017, 12:02:16 AM
They better put Adventures of Mana on it then.
This.  Seriously.

I mean hell it's on the PS Vita/PSTV it'd be prefer for Mobile and Docked!

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #202 on: March 01, 2017, 01:09:10 AM
I put it on BlueStacks, the Android emulator (you can link and download from Google Play), and it worked fantastic on my gaming rig. Use Joy2Key to hook up a gamepad and viola.

Would still want it working on a console though. Portable on switch? Yes please.

Oh, also;

3 DAYS

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #203 on: March 03, 2017, 02:27:00 AM

Actually getting it after work tomorrow but still. I will drop my giveaway tomorrow as well.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #204 on: March 04, 2017, 01:13:31 AM
Didn't pre-order or buy any spare Switch for Launch, just want to wait for the reviews and such and wait to hear what the people say about it and possibly try it out a demo of the console somewhere.

Also been a while guys, been super busy... playing Nioh a lot and SUPER fun... so I hope you guys enjoy the Switch. I'll eventually get it, but not right now.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #205 on: March 04, 2017, 06:58:08 AM
So, I got:
-Neon Switch
-Zelda Special (non-Master) Edition
-Princess Zelda Amiibo
-Pro Controller
-Fast RMX
-Shovel Knight Treasure Trove

LOVE having Fast Racing on the go.  Runs silky smooth.  I swear Shin'en is the new Factor 5, their stuff looks awesome.  It may just be me, but RMX doesn't seem to punish you quite as harshly as Neo for crashing.

Zelda is Zelda.  Excellent.  AND LIMITLESS BOMBS, that helps offset the whole weapon durability crap.  The game chugs a little at random grassy spots but it is very rare.  You have to progress a while before you can scan Amiibo.  Special Edition's carrying case has a velcro strap to hold the Switch in place on one side, a mesh pocket for accessories in the other, and cloth straps in the middle to hold game cards.  The map/tapestry looks water damaged, it's a thing I guess.

Switch signs into your Nintendo Account (as in My Nintendo rewards), NOT Nintendo Network ID.  You can give it your NNID to merge wallets (and it is a merge, not a transfer), but that's it.  Friends will be suggested if you're already connected in Nintendo's mobile phone games (which is hilarious since being Friends in Fire Emblem Heroes means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, that game asks you to send a friend request after literally every single Arena duel).  There is no importing from social media, Miiverse, or Nintendo Network.

Physical games can be registered for My Nintendo points through the system menu.

Image sharing links to either Facebook or Twitter.  Twitter will auto-hashtag with the game title, Facebook will not.  Both can be registered but only one can post at a time.

Miis can be imported through Amiibo (that is, the Amiibo's registered owner).

eShop will not let you Wishlist an unreleased game. (EDITS: They did fix this at some point.)

Joycon signal bug is real, as I found out when my daughter climbed up to me, so hopefully they fix it soon.  They are cozy to hold (I have gigantic hands, ask PB).  The L/R buttons are TINY, very narrow but usable.  SL/SR are centered horizontally with the controller edges and not the stick/face buttons, so your grip will differ a bit when using sideways.  I personally prefer the right; left has stick, SL, and edge of controller so close together that my left hand is in a near pinching position.  Not a fan of the grip, it works but I'd rather freestyle.  It has no electronics; the player lights are reflected from the Joycons' lights.  All connections are secure, you can hold the Switch by one Joycon without concern.  Wrist straps lock in HARD, though, to the point where they're tough to remove.  Grip and system release more easily but there's no way in heck you'd ever do so accidentally.

Pro Controller is surprisingly cozy.  Buttons are clicky, shoulder buttons are large with nice contours, sticks feel better than Wii U Pro (the center isn't raised as high).  It's also USB C, same as the system.  Comes with an A to C cable so you can charge via the dock.

Overall love the system.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 06:53:42 AM by Hypershell »

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #206 on: March 06, 2017, 11:30:49 PM
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc[/yt]

We are Nintendo's beta testers

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #207 on: March 08, 2017, 12:39:31 AM
No problems here yet. You're of course going to get a highlight reel cause this is the age of Youtube, so it's hard to say how much of this is just a normal amount of defective units or if it is abnormal. Same was done for the PS4's launch but no one remembers that anymore. Same for the Xbox360's black slim models.

As for the controllers de-syncing, I have a theory. By no means a defense, but wireless communication usually gets cut off in front of TV's. If you put a bluetooth near a TV screen it'll kill the signal immediately most of the time. I had non-bluetooth wireless keyboard and mice that did the same as well. There may be frequencies that don't have this problem, as I have one mouse that does work in that case, but it's possible the Switch uses that. I think it has to do with the radiation coming off the screen overpowering it.

I agree that the Switch doesn't feel that sturdy. The base especially feels cheap and I was very surprised to see that the screen contacting part of the base was simply plastic. Disappointed on that. My joycons don't wiggle when in handheld mode though, that I have noticed.

I think part of the problem is also that the Switch, unlike the 3DS, and WiiU, has barely any protection int he box. The packaging is very bare and the screen is flat agaisnt the side of the box with basically no protection.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #208 on: March 08, 2017, 05:19:38 AM
The thing is, this is surprisingly unlike Nintendo.

They're usually very careful with assuring stability of their consoles at launch. If I hypothetically bought a Switch that managed to function properly, seeing these videos of other people receiving defected systems would still [acid burst] me off. None of their previous systems had a flurry of issues like this.

EDIT: That video made 4 million views in only 2 days, and it's trending

Holy [tornado fang]

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #209 on: March 08, 2017, 05:58:24 PM
The Joycon connection is the only thing that bugs me as far as the hardware goes.  The consensus that I'm hearing is that anything conductive (water, metal, human body) interferes with bluetooth and the Joycon's signal is just too weak.  My gigantic hands make this a problem for me in my living room as I need to watch how I hold the Joycons; if I hold the left one upright it becomes a big issue.

One of the YouTubers I follow did a teardown of the Joycons, which showed a small but separate antenna in the right, while the left's is etched into the circuit board...right next to the metal plate at the base of the analogue stick.  The signal can be DRASTICALLY improved by soldering a small wire into the opposite direction, although this is not recommended for obvious warranty/risk of damage concerns.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnMnke6lF0c#[/yt]

What bothers me most about this is the question of how the hell nobody noticed this in product testing.  This strikes me as same the kind of "works in a kiosk, doesn't work in a living room" error that convinced Miyamoto that Star Fox Zero was a good idea.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #210 on: March 08, 2017, 11:53:48 PM
The thing is, this is surprisingly unlike Nintendo.

I'll agree to that. Nintendo is usually better on their game.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #211 on: March 13, 2017, 04:54:36 AM
Splatoon 2 and Arms are a lot of fun. MK8 Deluxe gives me proper battle mode back. I am the happy!

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #212 on: March 23, 2017, 07:56:28 PM
Apparently the newer JoyCons are connecting better.  Cnet, of all places, gave Nintendo props for repairing their launch unit, took inside photos before and after, and noted that a new standalone left JoyCon that they purchased in the meantime did not have the issue despite appearing visually like the defective unit.  Nintendo added what appears to be a piece of conductive foam to the defective unit and returned the same one, as far as they can tell.
https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-switch-joycon-desync-connectivity-issue-fix/

Evidently something very subtle went wrong during manufacturing one of the batches.  Nintendo has issued a statement confirming that it was in fact a manufacturing issue and not a design issue.  Good to know, but it's still always a hassle for those affected.
https://mynintendonews.com/2017/03/22/nintendo-joy-con-wireless-issues-were-caused-by-manufacturing-variation/