Which NES Do You Use?

Slash Man · 1811

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
on: March 07, 2017, 06:04:21 AM
I don't think there's ever been so many console variants as with the original Nintendo Entertainment System, which includes the numerous cheap-o clone consoles. Though it's not surprising considering how unreliable the original model was known to be.

For me, the redesigned top loader has worked the best for me and is my go-to system for playing games without a fuss. I know it's sacrilege, but I also prefer the look to the toaster.

What works best for you guys?

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 12:19:31 AM
The top loader apparently has inferior graphics. I can't remember why technically but I do see a difference though. I have both versions. I use the side loader primarily because it has AV out, unlike the top loader. It makes it easier to play on modern monitors and I can easily record it for my streams.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 01:21:17 AM
The graphics themselves are fine, but you do get the infamous "jail bars" on flatscreen displays due to the coaxial input. But when you're playing on a CRT, it's not noticeable. If you're going for quality when upscaling, the original toaster is the best way to go. Only a few aftermarket systems are able to get comparable quality.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 01:27:27 AM
It's more than just the jail bars. Something about it being a different output format than the original. I just can't remember what exactly.

Also, all the after market products are pretty bad from my stand point. Especially in the sound department. it's not even close. I don't know why either. I'd rather maintain my side loader any day.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)