1up interview: Hironobu Takeshita says "whine moar for Mega Man X 9"

Jazz Shaking · 27665

Offline Rodrigo Shin

• Not a Zero series
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • Ácido Cinza
As far as female Mavericks, now wait a minute, wasn't Commander Yammark female? There was a female in X6, and I'm almost positive though not sure that there was one in X8.
Uhhh... nope? I've never heard anyone going out of their way to say Yammark was female or anything to the likes of that, and I don't think X8 had one either.

The reason for retcon is to cancel out contradictions
a retcon is a last resort to erase a contradiction
Guys, please let me know when did Gwen Stacy getting retroactively impregnated with Goblin Twins solve any contradiction whatsoever and didn't create a whole set of new ones. TTFN

--

Whenever it comes to "consensus" and things alike, always remember Tony Bullet-Tooth's sage advice:
"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Sure. Define WHY it is inexorably stupid first, maybe then we'll agree or not.

I think you give him a good mythological motif or whatever, just for starters, you already have boss material.

To me that's like saying "Without Sigma as the final boss the X series is broken".
actually it is broken without Sigma as the final boss. its like, WTF O.o

Posted on: January 04, 2009, 06:47:50 PM
wasnt Optic sunflower female?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Splash Woman would be a better X boss than that. in fact, a mermaid would be completely fair. it is half fish.
Does that mean Centaur Man could be an X boss too?

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
X8 might have. How are you supposed to tell what gender a jellyfish robot is?

Offline Rodrigo Shin

• Not a Zero series
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • Ácido Cinza
actually it is broken without Sigma as the final boss. its like, WTF O.o
In a good sense, God Redips wants a word with you

Failmeenay I'd rather forget that existed.
wasnt Optic sunflower female?
I haven't heard anything to that extent either - but I wasn't active for some good months as well, maybe someone found out stuff I didn't know prior to that. But if it's just because the VA might be female (didn't bother to check), well, then it's Childre Inarabitta all over again?

And... whatever... about Man-O-War too.

Guys, please let me know when did Gwen Stacy getting retroactively impregnated with Goblin Twins solve any contradiction whatsoever and didn't create a whole set of new ones. TTFN

--

Whenever it comes to "consensus" and things alike, always remember Tony Bullet-Tooth's sage advice:

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Command mission doesnt count.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Oh God. I can only hope it's not going to be a retro game, if it ever comes into being. It works for the Classic Series, NOT for X.
Yea just as long as it's not made to look like the megaman X games for the gameboy color. I can't standing playing those mm Xtreme games. :(

Offline Rodrigo Shin

• Not a Zero series
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • Ácido Cinza
Command mission doesnt count.
Sure, whatever floats your boat.

--

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
I can't standing playing those mm Xtreme games. :(
I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but DIE, MONSTER! YOU DON'T BELONG IN THIS WORLD!!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I can't standing playing those mm Xtreme games. :(
LIES AND SLANDER! Xtreme 2 was the best game ever.
also, why would they make it like the GBC games? it was never really a dominant style and there were only 2 games which were technically rehashes of X1-3 plus theyre pretty obscure.

Posted on: January 04, 2009, 07:02:37 PM
Sure, whatever floats your boat.
I dont have a boat. but I do have a space station. *points up*

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
neither Commander Yammark, Optic Sunflower, nor Gigabolt Man-O-War were female. Yammark just has pretty eyes. his cries are clearly male. Sunflower's just questionable. and Man-O-War's speech is more like a kid than a woman. when referring to them, the title character do use "he."

Does that mean Centaur Man could be an X boss too?

yeah.

Sure. Define WHY it is inexorably stupid first, maybe then we'll agree or not.

I think you give him a good mythological motif or whatever, just for starters, you already have boss material.

that's the thing. he/she needs something that a normal humanoid Reploid doesn't have. as said, a mermaid could work. a centaur could work. a harpy or even just an angel could work.

but if it doesn't have any of that, the character is either unimportant to the plot or the exact opposite: a character very relevant to the plot. Dynamo, Gate, Vile, even the title character.

the whole point of having nonhuman Mavericks is supposed to be an imaginative thing. it's supposed to show creativity. it's supposed to offer something new to fight each time. the boss' abilities are supposed to reflect on what the animal its based on could do. and really, what could a humanoid do that any Reploid can't? having a vanilla Reploid mixed in with these animals, plants, and fungi would look dumb.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
I know, "just only saying". I know it would never be.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile

Oh, well, I checked again, and looks like he is a he. Or she's just crazy to the point that she can't use the right pronouns.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I miss Dynamo... ;__;

Offline Rodrigo Shin

• Not a Zero series
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • Ácido Cinza
that's the thing. he/she needs something that a normal humanoid Reploid doesn't have. as said, a mermaid could work. a centaur could work. a harpy or even just an angel could work.

but if it doesn't have any of that, the character is either unimportant to the plot or the exact opposite: a character very relevant to the plot. Dynamo, Gate, Vile, even the title character.

the whole point of having nonhuman Mavericks is supposed to be an imaginative thing. it's supposed to show creativity. it's supposed to offer something new to fight each time. the boss' abilities are supposed to reflect on what the animal its based on could do. and really, what could a humanoid do that any Reploid can't? having a vanilla Reploid mixed in with these animals, plants, and fungi would look dumb.
That's why I said give him a motif, but you can find plenty of mythology stuff that doesn't have to make him a halfbreed or whatever. Make sure his design stands out, give him a noteworthy power (humanoid Reploids excessing in a certain category, whether elemental, speed, strength, whatever) that your character will acquire upon beating them up and you're set.

Sure, if you toss in green colored reploid #10 who shoots default plasma shots against you then it'd be dumb. But I don't think that'd be the case.

--

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
They should bring back all those characters they simply tossed away after X6. like Dynamo and Lifesavor. and Douglas. yeah.
And replace Pallete, I dont like her.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
it was never really a dominant style and there were only 2 games which were technically rehashes of X1-3 plus theyre pretty obscure.
This could all change if they make another one!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
the next X game should be an Xtreme 3. maybe with different graphic, but a typical Xtreme storyline.

Offline Rodrigo Shin

• Not a Zero series
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • Ácido Cinza
They should bring back all those characters they simply tossed away after X6. like Dynamo and Lifesavor. and Douglas. yeah.
Signas was well underway. Creepy enough that they changed his japanese voice-actor in X8 just so he died an year later. >.>

--

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
wait, what?

Offline Rodrigo Shin

• Not a Zero series
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • Ácido Cinza
X6 - Lifesaver disappears
X7 - Douglas disappears
X8 - Signas is pretty much removed from the plot and tells you what a good job you did by getting killed by spikes over and over until you ran out of Retry chips

Next stop: OBLIVION!

--

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
D:  and Dynamo dissapeared along with Douglas. Honestly, they need to bring them all back. they all had their relevance to the story. especially Lifesavor and Dynamo, not to even speak of Signas, since he's the frikken General of the organization...

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Possible. theyd still have to explain Axl's absence though. thats one big thing. they have to explain a situation for him.
Considering what they did to Bass in MM9 I'm not expecting much.  We'd probably see Axl lying in the background somewhere with a microscope hooked up to his forehead.

And I'd prefer the LiveMetals evolve into MMZ's Chips; the Chips could be made out of the LiveMetal ore. Now we have an explanation for chips, and why X was limited to only one in X3. In MMZ, the new Reploids have higher tolerances.
*a'hem* Live Metal = Japanese term for Biometal, which MMZ predates and as such no MMZ content can "evolve" from it without involving time travel.  I believe you're thinking of Force Metal, the stuff from Command Mission.

......and you do realize Force Metal never existed on the planet before the meteor presumably never identified until 2202 fell to Earth, right?  It's impossible for that to be relevant to X3 (21XX).  MMZ and beyond?  Possible, but unlikely.  If it happened, it would be severely downplayed compared to its intentions.  Force Metal was expected to render Energen crystals obsolete.  At best guess two centuries later in MMZ, that never happened, probably due to how dangerous it is; over-exposure to Force Metal causes an extremely high likelihood of Maverick behavior.  The quantity of Force Metal is not so relevant as its strength (utilized in gameplay as "erosion/immunity", and highly focused on in story with the whole SFM warheads and all).

"Chips" in MMZ step on the same territory as Power-Up Parts in earlier X games, of which you could equip up to 4 in X5 and Xtreme2, and 5 in X6.  Then there's X7, which had, what, 12 Chips to a character (it's been a while)?  And X8, which had its own "metal" (not Force Metal) system had a whole freaking list of Chips applied simultaneously.  X3's Chips are a different concept, they were distributed by Light specifically for use in X's armor, and impossible to use without first obtaining the specific armor part it was to be installed into.  I'd say that concept is more comparable to X8's Neutral Armor parts than anything else.

I, personally, wouldn't want another X game.  They already admitted that the story ends in Mega Man X5 and 6-8 is considered to be non-canon. I'd rather a new classic series game that bridges the Classic and X series.

Enough people have corrected you that I shouldn't have to explain this.  But since I'm bored enough that I feel like straightening things out for the record:  There are numerous references between later X games that confirms their validity.  First of all MMZ, despite whatever its conception was, was released to follow X6's "sneak peek" ending and not X5 (Zero is sealed deliberately, behind a force field with his name on the door, not to mention with LEGS; as opposed to being left in a junk heap as in X5).  X7 foreshadows MMZ twice; facing Snipe Anteater as Zero, and beating the game as Zero.  Z1 and Z3 feature Orbital Elevators which are given a lot of emphasis across X8 and XCM.  MMZOCW outlines plain as day that Zero was placed in stasis twice during the series gap; once before and once after Elf Wars.  Zero's involvement in Elf Wars is irreconcilable with an X-series timeline that ends at X5; he HAS to come back from that beforehand.  And this is not even touching the obvious, even if in-game unconfirmed, design inspiration of Axl in Biometal Model A, along with more story parallels between ZXA and the X-series Copy Chip arc than I care to count.

You could not, in any way, shape, form, or scent (that's right, I can SMELL the error on you), be any more wrong.

the next X game should be an Xtreme 3. maybe with different graphic, but a typical Xtreme storyline.
I'm all for that.  Although, to be honest, I've often envisioned an Xtreme continuation tying in more with the main-series story.  Xtreme1 and 2 were independent stories that just happened to take place earlier than the currently released main-series games, and reused bosses and flaunted my fanboyishly favorite repli-gal.  I'd like to see something that deals with the aftermath of the conflicts of X4 and X6 (X6 technically IS the aftermath of X5, so no need to go there).  X4 especially, for more Iris references if nothing else.  Seriously, I cannot swallow that no baddies thought to try and salvage 1/2 of the ultimate Reploid when she came so close to success, and regardless of whether or not they work out the kinks, still has OBVIOUS mind-farking value against Zero.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Xtreme 2 had significance. somewhat. it ties into X6's talk of DNA and souls and stuff. I like Xtreme2. actually, if they make a 3, it should be with the same graphics as the first 2, and released as a GBA game. (cuz DS' cant play GBC games. pity.)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Oh believe me, I *LOVE* Xtreme2.  It's my favorite game of the entire X series.

The connection between X6 and Xtreme2 is really just a circumstantial thing with Isoc's mysterious shutdown, hence the reference by Alia.  So far as the "souls" collected, Xtreme2's DNA Souls belong to Reploids; X6's Nightmare Souls belong to the Nightmare Virus.  Similar in theme, I suppose, but not linked in the actual storyline.

Barring shovelware the GBA is all but obsolete, and manufacturing GBC hardware that is no longer in use and incompatible with the current handheld would be pretty senseless.  It's a huge hassle and it is for this reason, as seen in the MM9 interview, that Capcom didn't go through with sticking MM9 on an actual cartridge, instead using the NES cartridge concept as a CD case for releasing artwork and stuff.  If Capcom were to go for GBC visuals, more likely they'd go the route of the DSi download shop.  But I, personally, would like to see something that takes full advantage of the DS's abilities, perhaps PS1-style visuals.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)