Gunvolt [New Inafune & Inti Creates game]

kosmos · 37295

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 02:28:40 PM
Well, if you're talking about a 2D HD sprite game with high FPS, it could easily be just as, if not more, expensive than a 3D game.

But yea, Gunvolt doesn't fall into that category.

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 07:23:13 PM
MN9 is poison.

And it's killing you all.

As for this game, eh, looks cool I guess?

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 07:50:17 PM
MN9 is poison.

And it's killing you all.

As for this game, eh, looks cool I guess?
You can probably say that about a lot of Kickstarter funded stuff, at least that's what my Intro to Entrepreneurship teacher seems to imply.   

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Suppercut ♡

• Toaster Catgirl Sniper
  • Neo Arcadian
  • something something All Limiters Released
    • View Profile
    • Ironically Opressing Oppression
Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 12:35:04 AM
Well, if you're talking about a 2D HD sprite game with high FPS, it could easily be just as, if not more, expensive than a 3D game.

pfffpfpfpfffhahahahahahahahah

60 FPS has been a standard in 2D gaming since the old days of the NES. Unless your 2D art team's lazy as hell (KOFXIII), a 2D designer doesn't have to worry about things like proper weight painting, expensive lighting and shading engines (both economically AND graphically), problematic physics engines, defining a 3D filetype interpreter, and a fuckton of other things. Especially if your team is going for a retro game style (Gunvolt).

what

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 10:57:29 AM
pfffpfpfpfffhahahahahahahahah

60 FPS has been a standard in 2D gaming since the old days of the NES. Unless your 2D art team's lazy as hell (KOFXIII), a 2D designer doesn't have to worry about things like proper weight painting, expensive lighting and shading engines (both economically AND graphically), problematic physics engines, defining a 3D filetype interpreter, and a fuckton of other things. Especially if your team is going for a retro game style (Gunvolt).
When I said "a 3D game", I wasn't specifically referring to a AAA game or anything. I was making the obvious comparison of say BlazBlue to idk, Ninjabread Man?

Not an uncommon sight to see RPM users patronizing others the first chance they get...

Anyways, came here to post this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJlCbww9hjU

Wall climbing is back. Hurray?

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 12:14:45 PM
Not an uncommon sight to see RPM users patronizing others the first chance they get...
[tornado fang] off, [Top Spin].

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 12:48:36 PM
While I don't exactly agree with calling him a bundle of sticks, I agree with the sentiment. No need for that backhanded remark just to try to cover it up with what you really came here for.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: March 16, 2014, 04:06:52 PM
I guess that statement was pretty hypocritical. Sorry.

No need for that backhanded remark just to try to cover it up with what you really came here for.
I admit the response was unwarranted on my part, but I really did come to post about wallclimbing.  X(

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: March 16, 2014, 05:03:08 PM
I guess that statement was pretty hypocritical. Sorry.
I admit the response was unwarranted on my part, but I really did come to post about wallclimbing.  X(
S'all good, man.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: March 16, 2014, 05:39:55 PM

First off, I'm not even sure why he used the word "patronizing".
Secondly, I've always wondered if it was acceptable to say "[tornado fang] off, [Top Spin]" to someone just because I disagree with them. Now I know it is. Thanks.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: March 16, 2014, 05:53:14 PM
Secondly, I've always wondered if it was acceptable to say "[tornado fang] off, [Top Spin]" to someone just because I disagree with them. Now I know it is. Thanks.
It's not, man. I did it because I'm an absolute ass, but hey, who am I to stop you...
[spoiler][Top Spin].[/spoiler]

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: March 16, 2014, 06:15:39 PM
It's not, man. I did it because I'm an absolute ass, but hey, who am I to stop you...

Whatever floats yer boat.

Offline Suppercut ♡

• Toaster Catgirl Sniper
  • Neo Arcadian
  • something something All Limiters Released
    • View Profile
    • Ironically Opressing Oppression
Reply #37 on: March 16, 2014, 07:35:49 PM
Oh, Tron. We all love you...
[spoiler][lightning web][/spoiler]

Wallclimbing is good, but it looks like it's missing something... I mean, he walldashed for that ledge but didn't appear to grab it or slide down it, like in pretty much most MMX-style games. Wait, has this been a thing in MMZX?

what

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: March 16, 2014, 08:08:12 PM
Wallclimbing is good, but it looks like it's missing something... I mean, he walldashed for that ledge but didn't appear to grab it or slide down it, like in pretty much most MMX-style games. Wait, has this been a thing in MMZX?
Nah, it was the same in MMZX as it was in the other series. It looks like they're trying something different this time around, having something that looks like a crossmix of MMX and Metroid style wallclimbing.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: March 16, 2014, 09:21:31 PM
The wallclimbing mechanic is similar to "Model a", if anything.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: March 16, 2014, 11:21:08 PM
The wallclimbing mechanic is similar to "Model a", if anything.
Forgot about that, but that does indeed sound about right.

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: March 17, 2014, 03:21:09 AM
I have mixed feelings about wallclimbing. Obviously, having played Mega Man for so long, it's second nature for me to do it. But wallclimbing, while a useful mechanic to allow more vertical scaling in stage design, is just extremely unintuitive, and I feel really only caters exclusively to Mega Man vets. It's not like everyone played the intro stage of MMX.

2D Metroid has walljumping, but it's never required and only seen as an advance technique that eventually becomes superseded by Space Jump (unless you're speedrunning). Fusion, Zero Mission, and even MN9 all use edgegrabbing. Contra and Strider uses wallclinging, which albeit more limited in control, at least makes sense.

Probably not the best usage of the word since the context is usually with parent & child, but I was using it as:
"to behave or treat in a condescending way"
I just thought the "laughing" thing was unnecessary and simply wrote just to ridicule me. Next time, I'll use PMs rather than being openly confrontational about it.

And no, I'm not new to the internet.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: March 17, 2014, 07:02:50 AM
How intuitive a mechanic is depends on its complexity and how it's broadcasted to the player. Most games nowadays would either put an optional hint thing to the side explaining it or outright pause the game to tell you how to wallclimb, as Egoraptor's Sequelitis as that sounds. But having a hint thing say 'hold the direction towards the wall and jump repeatedly to climb it' would probably at least make sense.

Then again, this comes from Inti-Creates and the seeming creators of the Zero series as far as I know; they didn't tell you [parasitic bomb] on base abilities and controls, only how to use your unique weapons. They'll probably give a brief summary on how the new wallclimbing works as well as other unique factors, and then let the player to it off of general platformer knowledge instead of 'words words words' tutorials.

After all, there's only so much idiot proofing people can take when yet another platformer tells you how to move and jump.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: March 17, 2014, 01:35:23 PM
I think the real question we're all asking ourselves here is, can we still command dash off walls?

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: March 17, 2014, 04:51:01 PM
2D Metroid has walljumping, but it's never required and only seen as an advance technique that eventually becomes superseded by Space Jump

I don't think you can compare Gunvolt's wall climbing to the unnecessarily complex Metroid mechanic.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: March 17, 2014, 06:42:54 PM
I don't think you can compare Gunvolt's wall climbing to the unnecessarily complex Metroid mechanic.

Last time I played Metroid, I think it was harder than command dashing.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: March 17, 2014, 11:00:05 PM
Walljumping isn't that complicated in the Metroid series... just requires some timing. Heck, they made it much easier as time went along.

Agreed that the controls in Gunvolt don't seem to require that timing though.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: April 15, 2014, 02:12:45 AM
So how do you all feel about this?

I asked Inti Creates CEO Takuya Aizu just why the change had been made, and Aizu explained:

“During the development of Gunvolt, we researched what kind of design would appeal to boys between the ages of 10 and 14—who we assume will be the game’s main purchasers—in North America.

“As a result, we changed Gunvolt’s design, because braided hair and a bare midriff were unpopular among them. However, these changes are not final. We will continue to do research into the matter.”

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/10/inti-creates-changed-gunvolts-design-west/#pJXCgSMOtZoU7Asi.99

personally, it kind of bothers me.

Also,

"10-14 year olds" as the most likely audience?

HAH. Call of Duty is the 10-14 audience here. 20+ is the real audience for a game like this.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: April 15, 2014, 02:16:43 AM
....Okay the bare midriff I can somewhat understand but the lack of the braid looks plain stupid.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: April 15, 2014, 02:25:51 AM
Or how about they just keep it the same?

Whether he has bare midriff or not won't make someone purchase the game if they didn't plan to before. Who cares.