PS Vita TV

xnamkcor · 2728

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
on: September 10, 2013, 04:01:50 PM
Tokyo, September 9, 2013 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today introduced
PlayStation®Vita TV (PS Vita TV), a new entertainment system within the PlayStation®
family that will allow users to easily access video services, games and various content on their
TV at home. The new system adopts chip sets and system software of the PlayStation®Vita
(PS Vita) portable entertainment system and its size is 6.5cm × 10.5cm, smallest of all
PlayStation® platforms that connect to a TV. With PS Vita TV, users can comfortably enjoy
various video services in high quality, including “TSUTAYA TV,” TSUTAYA’s video service
with more than 40,000 contents new and old, “niconico,” delivering array of content including
live broadcasts, and “Hulu,” an online video subscription service with unlimited access to
movies, TVs and anime, by simply connecting the system to the network. In addition, more
than 1,300 software titles for PS Vita*1 as well as various network services for PS Vita and
PlayStation®Plus membership service can be enjoyed on the system. SCE will deliver
PlayStation® experience available on PS Vita TV through system software updates and by
enriching the content, to existing PlayStation® fans, as well as those who have not experienced
PlayStation® products.

http://scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130909c_e.pdf

Some things I find important or interesting.

Wikipedia lists Vita as having "PowerVR SGX543MP4+" for a GPU, while the Vita TV will have "IMG SGX543MP4+".

Video Output modes include 480p, 720p, 1080i. Does 480p crop or downscale the 960x544? Also, who no 1080p? 720p is the only one of those options that fully supports the PS Vita resolution.

The device seems to bypass the DAC the Vita would use and outputs the sound via LPCM on HDMI.

"Those users who are not playing but in the same room can enjoy the televised game play that the PS Vita TV users are playing." I like that they needed to point out that you can watch a friend play a video game. The 80s called.

You can play 2 Player PS Classic games with 2 controllers.

Will Sony eventually sell a special Vita Controller? Will you be able to use a Vita as a controller? Will you be able to use a PS4 controller? Can you play with any of those via the USB connector for wired play?

Value pack costs the equivalent of 50 USD more and includes a special edition(colored?) DS3 and an 8GB Memory Stick.

Includes a USB cable, but makes no direct mention of how USB will be used.

This needs to get cracked so we can use it as a homebrew box. I don't even care about pirating games, I just wanna see how well this can emulate.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 01:30:31 AM
I'm definitely gonna pick this up when it drops.  I can finally pick up copies of MMPU/MHX and play them on the big screen!

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 01:40:22 AM
Copy-Pasting.

The Vita TV is the one I would add to my collection, it will be useful for streaming (assuming you don't have the homebrew hardware modification for the existing Vita that lets you stream that way). Unfortunately, Vita TV require HDMI cable for the streaming, and I am limited to component right now. ^^;

As this image shows, in order, there's the power on/off switch, the Vita Memory Card slot, USB slot for file transfers to/from a PC, the HDMI slot that is used to connect to a TV or a device with video streaming functionality, a slot for wired internet connection, and the plug for the AC Adapter.

With a HDMI-to-Component converter cable, I think I could use that for streaming. ^^

Finally, the supported video outputs are: 720p, 1080i, 480p

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 02:15:46 AM
I'm definitely gonna pick this up when it drops.  I can finally pick up copies of MMPU/MHX and play them on the big screen!

You can't play PSP retail games on any Vita.

MMPU Isn't available digitally.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 02:30:37 AM

Oh.  Well that kinda sucks then.  I was hoping to have a means to play MMPU along with a few other games.  I was under the initial impression that the Vita played physical copies of PSP games.  :|

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Archer

Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 02:32:01 AM

Oh.  Well that kinda sucks then.  I was hoping to have a means to play MMPU along with a few other games.  I was under the initial impression that the Vita played physical copies of PSP games.  :|

Considering Vita cartridges look like this:

It would be a waste of space to have a place to insert UMDs.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 02:32:20 AM
Well, there's always Remotejoylite for the PSP, or a working video out cable for the PSP-2000/3000 models. Or even PPSSPP.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 03:16:46 AM
Are the Vita memory cards proprietary?

This news honestly put the Vita back on the map for me, as a developer and as a gamer. It's now poised to be the Ouya killer, and king of the indie living room. Not to mention it's fully featured with PS3 gamepad support, while the Vita itself has a full array of buttons. The only thing I don't know is if the games can render in 720p or higher, as opposed to being stretched to fit. That could make or break it.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 03:37:45 AM
Are the Vita memory cards proprietary?

Yes, and they're price-gouged as [tornado fang]. 32GB is like $80. They've announced a 64GB but that'll just be more expensive.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 04:59:49 AM
I'd have so bought this if they did it with the old PSP (UMDs and such, I mean, I know this thing plays PSN PSP games).  But yeah, I'll definitely be watching Vita's library a little closer now too.

I'm curious as to how exactly the PS Vita upscales/stretches/windows/whatever for its output, especially when playing PSP titles.  I have output cables for my PSP but the thing creates a pretty small window on a TV screen...

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 07:21:32 AM
Well, there's always Remotejoylite for the PSP, or a working video out cable for the PSP-2000/3000 models. Or even PPSSPP.

RJL uses PSP and PC cpu power. Framerate is pretty bad on more demanding games.

I'd have so bought this if they did it with the old PSP (UMDs and such, I mean, I know this thing plays PSN PSP games).  But yeah, I'll definitely be watching Vita's library a little closer now too.

I'm curious as to how exactly the PS Vita upscales/stretches/windows/whatever for its output, especially when playing PSP titles.  I have output cables for my PSP but the thing creates a pretty small window on a TV screen...

http://foosa.do.am/load/1-1-0-29

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 12:11:52 PM
Yes, and they're price-gouged as [tornado fang]. 32GB is like $80. They've announced a 64GB but that'll just be more expensive.

Reminds me when it was a really 'good deal' when I got my PSP 2GB memory stick for 120$. Was totally worth it in the long run though, given how the PSP got blown wide open.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 04:27:46 PM
Reminds me when it was a really 'good deal' when I got my PSP 2GB memory stick for 120$. Was totally worth it in the long run though, given how the PSP got blown wide open.

120 is more than what I payed for my PSP 2000. I never paid more than 40 dollars for a memory stick. 40 for my 2GB, 40 for my 4GB, 40 for my 8GB, and 20 for my second 8GB.

Edit: I saw a 4GB one at a local shop, used, for 10 dollars. I asked if it was the right price, and they said yes.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:29:08 PM by xnamkcor »