Why do some people hate/dislike the PSX-era Rockman X games more?

Irregular Ass-R-Us · 20431

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #50 on: September 06, 2013, 04:02:35 AM
I can live without a single-button dash, provided a single-button air-dash with proper momentum (one thing the PS1 engine lacked).

Xtreme1 lacks any originality to it whereas about the only close to straight-ported level in Xtreme2 is Flame Mammoth's (stage segments are re-used elsewhere, but not entire levels, and 2 has more original bosses scattered throughout).  1 also commited the greivous error of attempting to write replays into the storyline, and yes, its music is positively horrendous.  Even the devs noticed that; they had the good sense to redo the victory jingle's instruments in Xtreme2 even though it's the same tune.

Also much agreed on the above comments as to X3's mediocrity.  It definitely did not age as well as the other SNES titles.  Buster is the second crappiest of the series after Blade.  The ride armor selection was a good but severely underutilized idea.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: September 06, 2013, 04:04:10 AM
I don't remember if Xtreme 2 lets you double tap. It might be just down+A.

There is a dash button for Xtreme 1 though. The bad news is it's Select. The good news is that's a nonissue if you play on emulator or Game Boy Player.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: September 06, 2013, 04:05:38 AM
There is a dash button for Xtreme 1 though. The bad news is it's Select. The good news is that's a nonissue if you play on emulator or Game Boy Player.

And it'll be an issue again once the VC release comes out because Remapping buttons is for chumps apparently.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: September 06, 2013, 04:09:48 AM
On 3DS, yeah.   'tis a shame that WiiU doesn't get GB VC games.

I don't remember if Xtreme 2 lets you double tap. It might be just down+A.

2 does let you double tap.  In fact it's the only way to dash-jump in the game, since Down+Jump stops if you release the Jump button (moot point if you have air-dash, but still).

What I can't remember is if 1 let you use the Down+Jump command...

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: September 06, 2013, 06:00:37 AM
Agreed.  Megaman X without a dash button struggles really hard to be Megaman X.

I feel like it's unfair to rag on Xtreme 1 for its hardware limitations when Xtreme 2 was guilty of the same thing. Although I guess the latter gets a free pass because it has air dash.

Personally, I never expected much out of Xtreme 1 other than being X1 and X2 ported to GameBoy, even when I was young I knew not to care about the canon of the game. I don't think it should be praised for some outstanding merit or anything, but the amount of hate I come across for it seems unjustified.

Eh, I'm probably reading way too much into it.

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: September 06, 2013, 06:19:09 PM
So the Hard difficulty is moot in terms of length?

I'm talking about the whole game. "Normal", "Hard" and "Extreme", altogether, go by really fast because, again, the game is on the easy side.

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: September 07, 2013, 03:46:36 AM
X3 was a game I loved as a kid and I think many people did, cause when you're young you think "more = better".  It's only later that you realize that all the [parasitic bomb] they crammed into this game didn't work.  Forced encounters with Bit & Byte just mean that every stage has two transition rooms that are empty most of the time.  Multiple ride armors are cool, but you need to visit, like, five different stages before you can even unlock ONE of them.  Armor capsules in every stage is cool enough, except that most of the chips suck and once you learn about the Golden Armor they all become irrelevant.

Poorly paced game with poorly-thought out expansions and item progression.  I'd say at least it had a couple of good boss fights, but something like 3/4 of the boss fights just involved you climbing the wall and jumping over the boss as he charged right at you.

Mega Man Unlimited - Playthrough, Review and Criticism
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxNyTfF87xMRmb6jqKKTAmOrElKZkv3om

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #57 on: September 07, 2013, 04:39:21 AM
I feel the same with X3, it's my least favorite of the SNES trilogy although I played PSX version included in MMX Collection, which annoyed me more because of how slow all the dialogue is compared to SNES version. Seriously? What was the culprit behind the slow text speed? The SNES version can skip right through it no problem whereas the CD-based versions the dialogue's skip speed is slow as a snail. The Ride Armors, while interesting to more of them, but it's virtually moot since you never had to rely on them save for items if I remember correctly. I never liked the X-Buster upgrade in X3 either; X1 and X2's X-Buster upgrades made you feel more of a badass because the firepower of a fully-charged shot was straight to the point by charging your shot all the way. In X3's case, they do something in the veins of X2's buster upgrade by doing a "combined" charged shot. Cool in theory, but ultimately it's more impractical than it is cool and the damage you get out of it isn't that satisfactory.

Armor capsules in every stage is cool enough, except that most of the chips suck and once you learn about the Golden Armor they all become irrelevant.
The only chip upgrade I ever liked was the double air-dash chip to move around quickly, but as you said, once you know where to get the Golden Armor chip, everything else is pointless.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: September 07, 2013, 04:52:18 AM
X3 is the only X game where I don't complete the armor most of the time. I get the air dash, then the foot chip, and that's it. Everything else is either too far or just crappy. And also, not getting the X-Buster upgrade means that the Z-Saber will charge much faster.

I like X3 though. It's just... to me it's exactly like Donkey Kong 64, where they try to blow your mind with a billion items to collect, except they're not very fun to collect and not very fun to use either. But I can find my own route in the game that makes it fun to breeze through. My favorite thing about X3 is that they brought back the stage effects from X1.

The PS/XC version, however... I just pretend it doesn't exist. The music sounds like a cheap carnival knock-off.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #59 on: September 07, 2013, 04:59:04 AM
The PS/XC version, however... I just pretend it doesn't exist. The music sounds like a cheap carnival knock-off.
Sadly it's also on the Saturn port too since it's also CD-based; same goes for the PC version. Really wished they ported SNES version in the X Collection instead.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: September 07, 2013, 05:00:41 AM
Eh... the level design and boss ai of X3 is kinda weak.

Offline Arikado

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: September 07, 2013, 05:12:05 AM
Eh... the level design and boss ai of X3 is kinda weak.
The boss AI in X3 just screams "rush job."

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: September 07, 2013, 05:25:08 AM
As does the Boss music, for that matter!

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: September 07, 2013, 05:46:43 AM
A lot of the game does, like the artificial difficulty jolt in the form of ridiculous damage. Good thing everything is so easy to dodge (except maybe Volt Catfish's second half attack).

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: September 07, 2013, 05:49:33 AM
Still has my favorite Zero theme though!  8D

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: September 07, 2013, 06:10:51 AM
Sadly it's also on the Saturn port too since it's also CD-based; same goes for the PC version. Really wished they ported SNES version in the X Collection instead.
In all fairness the PC/PS1 version was never available to us in the U.S. before.  So, back then, it was kind of a big deal.  I get why people prefer the SNES, though.  I could go either way.  But if it wasn't for X Collection, a lot of fans wouldn't have the choice to begin with, so I'm glad they went the route that they did.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: September 07, 2013, 06:23:26 AM
In all fairness the PC/PS1 version was never available to us in the U.S. before.  So, back then, it was kind of a big deal.  I get why people prefer the SNES, though.  I could go either way.  But if it wasn't for X Collection, a lot of fans wouldn't have the choice to begin with, so I'm glad they went the route that they did.

I thought they released X3 on the PC in the US?

As does the Boss music, for that matter!

I like the first part of the boss theme, but the second part is so... blech. Its only like a 15 second loop.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: September 07, 2013, 06:34:51 AM
I like the first part of the boss theme, but the second part is so... blech. Its only like a 15 second loop.

Which is why it sucks.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #68 on: September 07, 2013, 07:04:29 AM
X3's music suffers from "Bad Instrument Syndrome".  I feel like the base melodies would be good if they were just played on different instruments or something.  Expect for the boss theme though, that cannot be salvaged unless they completely remix.

X3 is the only X game where I don't complete the armor most of the time. I get the air dash, then the foot chip, and that's it. Everything else is either too far or just crappy. And also, not getting the X-Buster upgrade means that the Z-Saber will charge much faster.

Yeah, I NEVER go for the entire armor anymore, for the same reason.  Without the buster part you can't get anything but the foot parts, so I end up just using that unless I use a password to get around that limitation.  It's a shame too, because X3's armor has the potential to be one of the most broken of all time.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Arikado

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: September 07, 2013, 07:20:25 AM
You can still get the body armor with the foot enhancement chip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmJJ-EWV4vI

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: September 07, 2013, 09:03:09 AM
You can still get the body armor with the foot enhancement chip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmJJ-EWV4vI

I think what exemplifies both the poorly mishandled number of items as well as the individual item placement/requirements is this video I made a year back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDFGka7rJP0
[shamelessly promoting myself]

As you can see, the video is 18 minutes long to cover how to get every item in the most minimalistic way possible. [by the way, I didn't know about the "Liberty Jump" at this point so that was unfortunately left out].
In comparison,
X1: ~10 minutes
X2: ~7 minutes [w/o Liberty Jump]
X4 [X]: ~11 minutes [multiple duplicates of Ultimate Armor showcased]
X4 [Zero]: ~5 minutes
X5 [X]: ~19 minutes
X5 [Zero]: ~14 minutes

I'm in the middle of X6, I just can't bring myself to get so many recordings since X6 is ridiiiiiculously open-ended.

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: September 08, 2013, 01:25:56 AM
Im one of the few people that prefer the PS1 X3 soundtrack.

I just like some tracks better there.

Not all are better though, mind you. But many of them sounded kind of off on the SNES too. Too much grunge guitar... X3's soundtrack was begging for a Genesis soundchip.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: September 08, 2013, 01:43:49 AM
Ick

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: September 08, 2013, 03:31:05 AM
Neon Tiger's theme certainly benefited from the PSX upgrade:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAPgKM2hits[/youtube]

Honestly the only song that i didn't really like on the PSX ost was Vile's theme. Needed some electric guitars, not that synth. Overall I really like it though.

Regardless, how can you argue with this kind of an ending?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PvnuqqGNW4[/youtube]

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: September 08, 2013, 06:11:53 AM
Can't argue at all. It's my favorite X ending of all. I love that bit of X and Zero just relaxing, watching the sunset. It's really nice.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.