Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 04:03:23 AM
I actually vaguely cited MSB in my example in that thread. XD

But yes, anything can be adult.  You can tell an adult story and still have it be rated G.  Younger writers tend to be under the impression that for a story to be "adult," then it needs to have drugs, sex, violence, and other "adult" themes.  While, yes, those can be used, they shouldn't be the driving force of your story.  Your story should still be able to stand on its own with those themes removed. 

Do you have an interesting character?  Do they have an interesting story to tell?  Do we want to follow that character through their story?  What makes that character interesting?

I'm sorry, but drug addiction does not make a character interesting.  Drug addiction is a glaring weakness.  It is something that needs to be overcome, and if the character's story does not allow them to overcome that weakness, then why should we care?  That character has not grown or changed in any way.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 05:57:14 AM
People have a misunderstanding about what is "mature" or "adult". Most people seem to think it involves needless violence and substance use, when the real mature stories doesn't focus on that stuff. It might be there or implied, but the main focus it needs not be. It's how the people (characters, whatever) react to whatever circumstances are thrown at them, not what they use to deal with the circumstances.